News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Atlanta Indiana, June 4-5 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, June 06, 2011, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

A hot weekend! It took it's toll on students and instructors before the weekend was over.

While Saturday was hot, Sunday was slightly better though we kept Ohmslaw's eye on the smart phone checking the approaching storm, which broke up just as it hit the county line.

So what did we see? We saw a lot of improvement, but not until we worked a little of Parker's Revenge magic on everyone. But Sunday afternoon the strain was showing in everyone's faces. The strain of trying too hard, trying to keep cool, trying to hold on to very hot rifles. PR's break and the tactical planning needed to organize a team to win, plus a lot more hydration, showed in dramatically improved scores afterwards. We went from low hundreds to several people knocking at the door with 160+ scores.

Delaney showed she could shoot a good group when she tried, Nikki turned out an impressive group when she was coached through the Steady Hold Factors and Six Steps. As did most. Everyone needs to practice and next time I think everything will come together. Warren, 206, 207, 209! Knocking at the door? More like kicking at it! I don't think you will be getting full value from your ROC, one more event ought to make Rifleman.

Tiff, Janeen, Matt and Zack did very well even with Janeen's pain issues, her best score was a 163 sitting on every stage! Matt and Zack made slow and steady improvement shooting Ruger factory sights.

Alex, Kyle, and Max. You guys already know the drill. Safety points, Safe Rifle, most of the history. I see your Dad's orange hat on one of the heads in the future.

Joshua, Kristen, and Scott. A pleasure to have you. Scott I expect to see involved. I can't turn down anyone who asks for a handful of tri-folds because they need to tell people what they saw and heard.

Joe and Johnnie. More ROCs sold and I am not surprised as I fully expect to see you both again. The score is obtainable by both of you. Next time, do a Bedford shoot and trade off the long drive ;^)

Vanessa, we were all glad to heard you recovered. We will get you back for a winterseed!

Noah, keep practicing, don't fuss the shot. Get your SHF down and the groups will shrink, I promise.

I want to thank everyone who came, stuck it out, rode the heat wave with us, and helped consume over 30 lbs of ice and nearly 40 gallons of water. Your persistence showed, you have already overcome the hardest part of being a rifleman.

Now tell us what you learned, and tell others what you saw, what you did, and what you learned.

YellowHousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

Great shoot!  I love it when folks get pushed to wall by the weather and show their truer selves.  I love it because Seeders always show their strength, and i know we are doing something right.  Thanks to all the shooters and the Atlanta club for the facilities!

Shooters to the line!

What could possibly hold the attention of these shooters?

That's right, ME   (and Windy and Bull)

Flags flying high

A rifled man finds solutions, even when they don't have pockets.

Max tests the theory that the further away from the rear sight you hold your head the funnier it is to your sister.

More pics tomorrow
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

KYWindage

All I can say is, what a nice, but hot, Appleseed!
I tried to recreate at times the festive attitude that ATM always brings with him, but Alas, the heat sapped out the extra energy from almost everyone(there were very few cartwheels).
Vanessa is alright, but slightly embarrassed. She really wanted to be out there and experience the "magic", but she needed to get cooled down more. She wanted to give Neisey a special thank you for her cooling efforts and concern.

Overall, this was a busy Appleseed, full of some wonderful shooters and personalities. Among them were Alex and Delaney who bolstered the left with their shooting, producing good groups. In the center, Warren began working on his SHFs and just barely dodged the patch with a 209! On the right, there were vast improvements with those unruly 10/22 factory sights, equipment failures that were overcome, and even a centerfire brought to the line.
HQ and AB ran a good line and everyone left with the same amount of holes in their bodies as they came with. Can't ask for anything more!
Hope to see everyone again soon.

-KY Windage
"I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist."
--Article II of the Code of Conduct

Niecie

Great Shoot in spite of the amazing heat for June. If it was August we would not have noticed the temperature and sweat  **)
I had a great time and enjoyed seeing some old friends and making new ones, too.

Here are some pics from Saturday:
First Red Coat

Instructors gettin' down in the dirt (er, gravel)

Who among you is thankful for the cover supplied by AuntieBellum?  :bow:

HQ gets right into instruction with YellowHouse Jake.

What could possibly get this reaction from these gentlemen?

Why SPQR of course  **)

Instructors back in the gravel:

"Heat has no effect on me... I shall over come"

Lead by example: "Shooters, put your right foot in....Your other right, SHSteve..."

End of a long, hot day.

Enjoy the pics and I hope to see you all back out there soon!

Niecie

HQ

Wow.  This one was a hot one. 

It takes guts to come out and brave these conditions, well something magical happens here in the great state of Indiana because we had a full line this weekend in 97+ weather!

You guys were AWESOME!!!  It was great seeing the perseverance on this line.  I will not be surprised when I see riflemen patches on all of these great citizens!

AuntieBellum

Okay, maybe it was a little warm this weekend.  I was glad to hear YHJ's tally of how much water and ice was consumed...it makes me think that maybe you were listening to me every once in awhile when I demanded you drink more before we move on.   ;)  It was great to see so many familiar faces mixed in with the new faces this weekend..  So first-timers, take note - this Appleseed thing is not just a one time thing.  Take some time this week to reflect on what you learned.  Yes, we teach fundamental rifle marksmanship.  But can you put it all together now?  Do you now know WHY we really come out each and every weekend, heat, rain, snow, to teach our fellow Americans about April 19, 1775?  Reflect on it, come back, and keep working on putting all of your newly discovered marksmanship skills into practice.  Better yet, bring a friend back with you, too.   O0  Everyone really did an excellent job, and I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Funny, my arms seem to still hurt a little from holding them up in air so much...!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot