News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

To Earl with Gratitude – A Legend and a Patriot

Started by OnlyHitsCount, April 29, 2011, 04:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OnlyHitsCount

I have been meaning to share with you a story for the past few weeks now, but the busy AS schedule has prevented me.  I hope you will forgive the delay.

On a recent Friday night many Washington state instructors gathered around to discuss the business at hand.  We needed a new State Coordinator.  Introductions were made around the BBQ 'cause, after all, whenever ID and WA come together there is food!  O0  I had heard rumors about the larger-than-life Earl, and I had read many of his posts, but would the man in person live up to the legend?  As we settled into the meeting, we each had our personal reasons for coming.  Reformed Redneck was asked for his inputs on the duties of State Coordinator, while others and I were looking for leadership. 

Earl, on the other hand, had a different purpose.  Right away he let us know that he was there to pass on a few possessions to other WA instructors, then named something that went right over my head  ??? , and a demo rifle.  'Wow!' I thought.  'Wouldn't I love to have my own demo rifle?!'  I had just been admiring one on the line in Cd'A a few months back, and here was my opportunity!  But, there were a whole lotta folks here that surely would be interested, too, most of whom had known Earl longer than the 30 minutes I had. 

After some brief discussion and a few lighthearted jokes, I casually asked if there was anyone interested in the demo rifle, then quickly shot my hand up in the air!  Earl looked me over, then asked if I had a 'hat'.  I stated that I indeed had an orange hat.  'Where's your red one?' he asked.   ~~:)  I laughed and told him that I had only received my orange hat in January.  Give me time.  Five minutes and a few more probing questions later and Earl went to retrieve the demo rifle.  (Suddenly the quip about the whiteout made sense!  **))  Earl gave me the run down on what needed to be done with it; it would benefit from iron sights, don't leave it in the rain, a little white paint touch-up, etc.  Then he turned and presented me with a case, simply saying 'These go with it.'  I was stunned to open the case and find two matching Remington 597 .22 long rifles, complete with slings, tech sights, and spare parts!   ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Earl wanted nothing more in exchange than to know that these would be made available to anyone willing to use them at every Appleseed I attend.

Well Sir, I have attended two shoots since you bestowed upon me this great honor, and they have been used and appreciated at both.  Your generosity and patriotism will not be forgotten.   :bow:

OnlyHitsCount
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works.  Psalm 26:7

The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  - John the Baptist

God doesn't believe in atheists.  (Romans 1:20)

Dinky Dao

What an awesome story...

God love ya, Earl. It's people like you that make this program great. 8)
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

Cooper

Earl is indeed a true gentleman and an inspiration to us all.

Cooper
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Blue Five

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

Western Rose

Earl, you've taught me tons and tons... and through me, you've taught many more. I look forward to seeing you again sometime soon and learning more from you. Thank you!

:)
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Evenstar

Thanks for the write-up Amy. It was an honor to have been there to witness it.
Earl, what can I say? Dinks is right, it's people like you who make the program what it is. (What? No hats-backward smiley??? :o) You've taught me most everything I know about being an instructor, and have helped me to be a better person. I'm looking forward to the next time I see you, maybe to plop a shiny new hat on my head. :cool2:

Thank you for everything!

*SMILES* :)
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

SPQR

I have a soft place in my heart for teachers.  I reckon it takes a lot of arrogance to be possession of great skills and to not teach them to others.  Some such person uses their skill as something to lord over others in a desperate attempt to satisfy their own vanity and create a cocoon of pride that, when pressed, will only prove weak and fragile.  I pity those folks.  They often hide behind a concept of personal freedom in an attempt to legitimize their behavior.

Yet it is the teachers, ah the teachers, who realize something far greater than a house of cards pride.  It is the teacher who is willing to take personal responsibility for making their world better.  The teacher is willing to sacrifice what is theirs and give it to others freely.  They do so because they understand that survival goes beyond personal freedom and extends to collective responsibility.  The teacher knows that helping others around them become their own perfect person makes, not only that person, but the community around them better.  In a nutshell, the teacher has decided that making the world better is their personal responsibility.  That arrogant man who makes no such effort is little more than a child who has discovered a loophole in the rules of a board game in the face of such gallantry.

In a world with water coming in over the sides, is it not the measure of a man to have others claim that he has, "helped me to be a better person,"?  Is the legacy of America not in its teachers and the number of men about whom could be said, "through me, you've taught many more,"?  Good Heavens, what people of mighty constitution must this program attract.   Patriot indeed. 
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Earl

OnlyHitsCount? yeah, I have that and her REAL name in my head. ;)

Thank you, for carrying on and passing on the Heritage, and building our future. I accept the Gratitude with more grace than the story, but the story is a rocker, so if I weren't mentioned I would still love it, it is kind of a modern DOM story.  I would talk to your editor about the Title, Earl will never be a Legend (one has to be a departed hero to be a real legend, or never existed anywhere except in the minds and hearts of the teller and listeners). When the story about who Earl was gets bigger than the I (that will take a lot of growing) then I won't know him, but smile contentedly. Do you ever think that those three DOM we talk about thought they would be remembered years and years after they had passed on? What they gave had no future, it was for the moment and the time - the victory would last only as long as the story is remembered. Keep telling the story, and teaching safe sane marksmanship, I hope to see you all along the trail. O0

Thank you for all your kind thoughts, now get back to work, quickly, quickly, quickly.... ::)

... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Josey Wales

..Earl is a good man, a high son of liberty..

..Strength & Honor.........Josey Wales.....

P.S.  I miss your presence Earl....Bless..

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Roland

Amen to all of the above. Earl is probably the reason I have this thing next to my forum name that says "Instructor in Training". It's a shame I never got to work the other side of the line with you, I have a feeling it would have been a great experience.

Hope to see you on the trail,

Roland/Dirk
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

type3malfunction

People make all the difference.
A year ago, I wasn't sure what to expect from my first Appleseed.
One nice surprise was the quality and commitment of the staff.
Earl made a big impression and still ranks number one in my mind.