News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Lewiston, Idaho, February 26-27, 2011

Started by Reformed Redneck, February 27, 2011, 12:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reformed Redneck

To all:

Well, the first day of another fine Spring-like Appleseed event in Lewiston, Idaho is complete.

OK, so maybe not quite so Spring-like.

As a matter of fact, a bona fide Winterseed. 0 - 20 degrees with a beautiful snow cover on the ground.

We had four stout hearted shooters on the line today. 3 of the 4 were new to Appleseed. The youngest was about 8 years old. He voiced no complaints, and made the best of his Remington bolt action .22. By the end of the day, everone had improved measureably in their skills, and we were beginning to tighten things up.

Oh, yeah...and we got a new Rifleman today. "Rizzin", a member on the forum here, made a nice 223 on the AQT today. This was his 5th Appleseed, and his third Winterseed. Congratulations on your success! A Rifleman persists!

We will have a couple of additional shooters tomorrow who have previously attended a shoot, and are looking for Rifleman patches. Should be a great day. There's a fair possibility of snow forecast, so we may face some additional challenges. I'll post additional information tomorrow night or Monday some time.

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Western Rose

Well done, Rizzin!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Wish I could of been there.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

TruTenacity

Congratulations, Rizzin!  You had to drive a ways and cross boarders, but hey it was worth it.  Right?  Maybe the snow will fly tomorrow and stick to your target.  At least you'd feel right at home.

An eight year old boy shooting under those conditions without complaint puts fair weather shooters to shame.  I wish I could have met him and cheered him on.

I'm looking forward to being at the range tomorrow, bright and early and looking like the Michelin [wo]man due to having layer upon layer of clothing on to stay warm.

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Earl

Now if RR took and posted pictures it would have been perfect. The eight year old is too young to know he isn't supposed to be having a good time learning how to shoot better in the real cold with snow. Thanks for posting so quickly, quickly, quickly... ^-^
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Evenstar

Hey Earl, we do have LOTS of pictures. Just got to go through them now. ;) ^-^

RR already mentioned this, but I'd like to congratulate Rizzin on making Rifleman, and earning the coveted Winterseed patch! Also, WELCOME ABOARD; thanks for taking on the orange hat! ^:)^ Oh, and thanks for letting me borrow your Canon (yes, the camera brand). ::)

Also, way to go, Western Rose - she shot a 240 on an AQT today. :cool2:

A big thank you to the students who came out in the cold and blowing snow to learn. Winterseeds truly bring out the best of the best. :) Looking forward to seeing you all again.

Pictures coming soon, once I thaw out. ;)
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Earl

Glad to read that WR was feeling up to shooting so well. Nice! O0
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Rizzin

A Winterseed Rifleman's patch AND an Orange hat all in the same weekend!!   :D   ^:)^

Shoot Rifleman on Saturday  :--- and get put to work on the line with an Orange hat on Sunday  ~~:)  slave drivers I tell you, slave drivers!

I get home and I find 101 pictures on my camera, I think Evenstar took more shots with it then she did with her rifle  8)
I will post some of the better ones once I sort through them, but with that many I am not going to post all of them, if anybody wants a copy of everything PM me an email addy and will drop the pile in a zip file and email it to them.

hawkhavn

Congrats one and all!
Rizzin, welcome to the Corps, and hopefully we'll get to meet in a few weeks at the IBC.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Western Rose

Thanks, Earl. It was nice to be feeling better and get some trigger time in. We've got the best "Hi Earl" picture yet! ;) ;D But you'll have to wait for it because I haven't been able to sort out the pictures yet (and Rizzin probably has the best ones on his camera).

Rizzen, Congratulations again on that WinterSeed patch. Maybe we'll get some spring time weather now that you got it. ;) Slave drivers?!?! WHAT?! WHO, might I ask, was the one was ASKED to be put to work? **) hehe, sorry, couldn't help it.  ;D Thanks for stepping up and joining the Northwest Instructors!  ^:)^ BTW, Hawkhavn is the instructor we were telling you about yesterday.

Halfpint, thanks for coming out again and sticking it through the weekend! Katiegirl, we were all happy to see you back again after your first time shooting last month (even though you did ditch us half way through the day). Looking forward to seeing you both next month!

Williams clan, thanks for coming and sticking it out! Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

And Evenstar shot a 233 and got her WinterSeed patch too!!!!

Pictures to follow.........

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

Reddot

Congrats Rizzin, and welcome aboard.  Good job WR--240-- O0

HalfPint

Don't worry guys, Katie and I will be repeat offenders until we finally get our patches!!  I was really hoping to sneak up on that Winterseed patch, but even though I didn't come close, I still learned a lot this weekend.  Trying out different rifles reaffirmed my trust in my original choice - although it looks like I really do need a scope (darned eyeballs).  And now I know why Katie blinks so bad!  Gotta get her her own gun one of these days...
character means knowing that the easy thing is not always right, the right thing is not always easy, and doing it anyway.

Earl

I like modest young ladies that laud their sister's score and don't say anything about their own "Luck", which we know it isn't. ^:)^

Evenstar

Awww, OK Earl, you can have some pictures now. :D ;) I've got some, but I KNOW there are more to come from Rizzin and WR. Maybe I'll come up with a couple more too. :cool2:

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Reformed Redneck

To all,

Well, Sunday was another beautiful day. Temperatures started at about Saturday's high. Almost made it up to 30 degrees, but probably not quite.

The two young ladies (return shooters) who live close enough to the Manor to be considered 'neighbors' of sorts showed up Sunday morning ready to go. Everyone else was back. We warmed up on some squares, played catch up on a couple of things left over from Saturday, and started AQT's. We weren't quite able to get any additional Riflemen, but there is certainly strong potential for all of them if they continue to persist.

It is well worth mentioning that little Isaiah is an outstanding young man. No complaints, and he made an honest effort to do what we were telling him to do even though he did not obtain as good a result as we would have hoped for. I believe he will be back, and that he will make a fine Rifleman in due time.

Because a good number of the Instructor corps up here have had an opportunity to get their Winterseed patches, I want to submit a suggestion for an SB or SC Winterseed cap. You know, a black and blue one (highly symbolic here) with stitched icicles. How 'bout it?

Best regards to all,
Reformed Redneck

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Western Rose

More Pictures!!!

Rizzin, we're all waiting with bated breath to see what you post. ;) No pressure though... ;D

50th Appleseed

Rizzin

Asked to be put to work?  surely I am not that crazy..   err ya I am.

stilllearning you did a great job as Line Boss.

And now without further delay,

Rizzin

and even more pictures

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Evenstar

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Western Rose

HalfPint, we're happy to have you out any time! And we're all looking forward to you shooting your rifleman score with you bolt action.

Rizzin, thanks for taking the time to post/send all of those pictures!

50th Appleseed

Earl

Thanks for all the great pictures! :)

Looking at the sighting squares Lefty and Right I would say two things without being there to watch - the shooter doesn't practice dryfire with leftside, and the trigger control isn't as good as rightside (you just know I wanted to say that) ;D... changing eyes does not change sight alignment, sight picture nor rifle's ability. Only the trigger remains, don't worry, it is still so much better a group than many would ever make. O0

Nice humble avatar, Evenstar. :cool2:

I am very proud of how the Appleseeders shoot in the COLD wilds of Idaho! I would wish I had been there, but
I90 closed for Snow too many times, Reformed Redneck's beard is still full and frosty and it must be too cold for my bones... ^-^

Western Rose

Quote from: Earl on March 01, 2011, 11:44:34 AM
Thanks for all the great pictures! :)

Looking at the sighting squares Lefty and Right I would say two things without being there to watch - the shooter doesn't practice dryfire with leftside, and the trigger control isn't as good as rightside (you just know I wanted to say that) ;D... changing eyes does not change sight alignment, sight picture nor rifle's ability. Only the trigger remains, don't worry, it is still so much better a group than many would ever make. O0

I am very proud of how the Appleseeders shoot in the COLD wilds of Idaho! I would wish I had been there, but
I90 closed for Snow too many times, Reformed Redneck's beard is still full and frosty and it must be too cold for my bones... ^-^

Here's a couple more... One is JUST for you Earl. ;D
I'd have to tell you that you're right about trigger control... Small hands + not remembering to rotate the hand up a bit = Dragging wood. No Happy Finger! @)

We'll be happy to have you out here again.

50th Appleseed

Earl

Hmmm, the Hi EARL picture with everyone's hat on backwards? Yep, but I already noted the lady shooting lefty way above. Thought Rizzin had bette sense, sigh. **)

Western Rose

The "lady shooting lefty" was having trouble with glasses fogging up with the hat on straight. She took it off fairly soon after that.  ;)

Oh, even a range guy joined in by putting his hat on, not backwards, or forwards... nope, he took it a step farther and did it sideways.  :o

See, Rizzin didn't have his on backwards for long...

50th Appleseed

Evenstar

Quote from: Earl on March 01, 2011, 11:44:34 AM

Oh yeah, very humble. @) >:D ::)

Yep, the 'Hi Earl!' picture was a must (both of 'em). It's a good thing though, Earl; means we're thinking of you! Looking forward to seeing you in Idaho again SOON! 8)

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Earl

Speaking of glasses fogging up, RainX has a product and you can alway put shaving cream on them and wipe it off... works!

Roland

Good job to Rizzin, look forward to meeting you.

Evenstar and Western Rose, excellent job on those AQTs. Looks like I got myself some catching up to do!  O0

Is that a Dragunov I see? (My sincere apologies on that spelling)

See most of ya'll at the IBC.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Rizzin

Roland, thanks and I wish it was a real Dragunov SVD, but its a PSL-54C which is a close cousin. With WR's help we turned it into a bit of a frankenrifle trying to fix a VERY short length of pull on the stock that will have to be addressed if I bring it out again as well as a bit of work on the comb so I can get a proper cheek-weld. I did enjoy shooting it even if I did come home with some slight bruising of the nose and forehead thanks to the scope. I could not find a prone position were I did not take an impact to the face from the scope thanks to that short stock.

Western Rose

Rizzin, over on facebook, ItsanSKS (on the forum) wrote this: Check out this stock: http://www.troupsystems.com/romanian%20stocks.htm
And later this: The stocks that I posted are aftermarket, and increase length of pull by over 3". They also have an adjustable cheek rest, for use with the scope. I have one on my PSL, (American Walnut with tung oil finish) and love it. ONLY way to go with a PSL, IMO.

50th Appleseed

Rizzin

Thanks WR, will look it to that

<--  Ignores Facebook exists so thank ItsanSKS for me as well (unless he picks up the thanks here)