News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Lebanon, CT January 29-30

Started by vernic82, January 31, 2011, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vernic82

Winterseed in Lebanon, CT?  

NOPE!  It just didn't meet the requirements - too warm at 25-35 for highs and balmy conditions all day Saturday and Sunday - this is a typical New England weekend in January for us to Appleseed in!

16 shooters at this 1st time shoot produced no new Riflemen however it did produce better shooters with the results on the Red Coat "effective range" measurement at the beginning and end of both Day 1 & Day 2!

The Results:
Day 1 Morning (15 shooters)                                               Day 1 Afternoon            
100 yd       200yd:      300yd     400yd      PS                   100 yd       200yd:      300yd     400yd      PS
6                7              0           0           3                     7                7              2           2           3

The Results:
Day 2 Morning (12 Shooters)                                               Day 2 Afternoon            
100 yd       200yd:      300yd     400yd      PS                   100 yd       200yd:      300yd     400yd      PS
7                7              1           1           4                     11                7              3           2         4

How the days played out:

Day 1 began with the Safety Briefing then a red coat.  We jumped right into teaching how to build a solid prone position and sling usage. We continued with the 6 Steps, Steady Hold Factors, NPOA, Ball and Dummy and IMC, with each spaced in between sighter groups. During lunch CaptMac gave us the First Strike and then we started the afternoon with talking targets and a few more sighter groups.   Then went into standing and sitting positions and safe transitions after we posted several AQTs in the late afternoon.  The day ended with us back in the clubhouse to hear CaptMac & fprintf deliver the Second & Third Strikes followed with a reminder to all to stretch, take a hot bath and some Ibuprofen when they get home.  

Day 2 - The better part of the morning was spent recapping Safety and the fundamentals taught on Day 1.  We then worked on honing skills in the lessons learned on Day 1, with exercises which reinforced NPOA and discouraging the fingers that love to jump off that trigger! During lunch, fprintf gave us the stories of DOM.  The rest of the afternoon, we got into the AQT "buffet", broken up with a teaching of the fundamentals of KD by fprintf on the range in the nice 30 degree weather.  The late afternoon had the AQT buffet and NPOA reinforcement on squares as our shooters endeavored to shrink the groups, we wrapped up with the benediction.  

Some highlights:

Returning Rifleman Jon S. became a True Riflemen as he shot 212 and scored over 210 for the 1st time in his home state of Connecticut!

Another returning shooter, Derrick F. fried a 173 offhand!

A big thanks goes to Bill, Warren & Matt from Bozrah R&G our hosts - you guys make an Appleseed even better at your Club!  We're looking forward to March & our BIG April Appleseeds at Bozrah R&G!

Please post your pictures and comments!

Yours in Liberty,

vernic82
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

Who_Me?

Sounds like y'all had a good time! The weather was lovely too  :)
"Heritage is history you care about" - Fred

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

kDan

Quote from: vernic82 on January 31, 2011, 03:57:07 PM
Winterseed in Lebanon, CT?  

NOPE!  It just didn't meet the requirements - too warm at 25-35 for highs and balmy conditions all day Saturday and Sunday

Too bad Fred.  I know how much you wanna change that avatar from a snow covered orange hat to a snow covered one in red.  Good Luck; the winter campaigning season is rounding the bend!  Huzzah, Connecticut!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

freedominnumbers

It was a great time. I was hoping for that cold patch but it was too nice a weekend. Kind of like a summer shoot with air conditioning.  I was very pleased with the shooting improvement I took away from the weekend. I had never put two bullets in the same hole on purpose before this shoot. Sunday morning I pulled a 215 on the first AQT and a 232 on the first after lunch.

It's also fun to hear the 3 strikes and DOM from different storytellers. The story is the same, but the emphasis and takeaway is somehow unique.  O0

It was great with Fred and the boys and to finally shoot in CT. They really tried to drill the basics into us.  ~~:)

One question, can we get an emergenseed for the storm tomorrow and wednesday for a full fledged winterseed.  :---
Harvard, MA April 17-18 2010 "April 19"  (216)
Lebanon, CT January 29-30 2011 (232)

fprintf

This really didn't qualify for a winterseed, despite starting temps in the single digits. Parking lot duty was coooooold!  Reminder to self, bring mittens instead of gloves and then switch out later. However by the time we were shooting it really had warmed up into the teens, and by the time the sun came around @ lunch it had warmed significantly into the 20s. Fortunately no wind either.

Next time, Fred, we'll get the bad weather to show up. There are still a few more events in snow season, we need to get the pic of you with the snow on your green hat. Even though it wasn't bad enough for the patch it still was pretty darn chilly. Too bad we were so busy we missed getting a shot of you in the 3 feet of snow.

I do applaud the shooters for their persistence in dealing with the cold, ice and particularly the fogged up glasses. The club were excellent hosts, as Fred said. They even fed us, my favorite being the egg & venison sausage sandwiches for breakfast on Sunday. Mmmmmm!  More ranges that have the facilities should consider this as a decent fundraiser.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

kDan

Quote from: fprintf on January 31, 2011, 08:06:19 PM
Fred,  we need to get the pic of you with the snow on your green hat.

Dang Fred. Been a while since I seen your Long Island self.  Snow on your Green Hat indeed - that's what you're waiting for.  I see a lot of new folks out in CT.  Looks good.  Long way since Hartford '08.   I haven't been up there in a minute (was that march?, may?), but you can count on seeing me next season.  As I have posted before, most of my family remains in CT or RI.  I'll be back. 

Hopefully, you all will have a decent radio station by then.  Anybody remember WLIR?
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

vernic82

Quote from: kDan on January 31, 2011, 09:00:56 PM
Anybody remember WLIR?

Dare to Be Different Baby!

Quote from: kDan on January 31, 2011, 09:00:56 PM
....most of my family remains in CT or RI....

Any of that RI family in a Club we can get an Appleseed into in RI?

My goal for '11 is to get an Appleseed in Rhody!
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

CortJestir

A great start for Appleseed in CT. Well done, Fred and crew!

Great bunch of students with very teachable attitudes. I still can't over Derrick shooting in the 170's all off-hand.  :o And Peter, one of our youth shooters, just drilling tighter and tighter groups as the weekend progressed.

Way to go, Jon, on that 232! Guess I was a "few" points off on my initial guesstimate of 220's when I glanced at it, eh?  :)

Thanks to everyone who brought shooters to the line. I think most of the students on the line were brought in by other students. That's what it's all about, folks! Keep 'em coming. We're trying to double the number of Appleseeds and we'll need students to fill the lines.

I must say that special thanks do need to be given to the folks at the Bozrah Rod & Gun Club. Their hospitality and willingness to host even more Appleseeds in 2011 (including one of our April 19 shoots!) cannot be more appreciated. And this location attracts shooters! I think we have half the line nearly spoken for already for the March shoot.

Good stuff...

CJ
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

kDan

Quote from: vernic82 on January 31, 2011, 09:24:42 PM

Any of that RI family in a Club we can get an Appleseed into in RI?

My goal for '11 is to get an Appleseed in Rhody!

shotguns and lobster boats only friend... 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

The Log

"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

CortJestir

One of our students, Theresa F., gave me a CD of photos from Day 1, which I can't seem to locate at the moment... :wb: I know CaptMac has some photos. Hopefully he'll show up and upload 'em...

vernic82

Quote from: CortJestir on February 01, 2011, 09:48:34 AM
One of our students, Theresa F., gave me a CD of photos from Day 1, which I can't seem to locate at the moment... :wb: I know CaptMac has some photos. Hopefully he'll show up and upload 'em...

Last I saw that CD it was in the Shoot Box inside the Flag Box, just checked the Shoot Box, Possibles Box, The Store Box and the Armorers Kit and it's not in any of them?!?!?!?! #)

CaptMac, fprintf, you guys took down the flags, did you see it? :-\
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

CortJestir

Found the CD. It was in the pocket of my M65  $$-0

Anyway, some select photos, courtesy of Theresa F. Thanks, Theresa!

CaptMac

Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

fprintf

Right click on the image itself, if using firefox it will say "copy image location" I am not sure what other browsers say, then paste that address in between two IMG tags

'[ I M G ]  pictureaddress  [ \ I M G ]

(remove spaces before actually using. You can also use the toolbar above)
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

CaptMac

Ramseur Five Ten!!!

CaptMac

Quote from: CaptMac on March 02, 2011, 03:19:06 PM

Trying it. 

OK, it seems to have worked once I switched to firefox. 

Vernic82 welcoming the shooters.

Peter showing off some squares.  His brother in the background shot Rifleman in February.

Vernic82 and fprintf covering some POI.  fprintf, that hat would match the shell I wore in Feb. 

Firing line. 

More POI near the target line. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!