News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sports EXPO Cabelas - Rogers

Started by AFTERMATH, February 10, 2011, 08:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

Here's where we start planning this one!
Ha!  Two exhibitions in one weekend!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

sparks1

I was off work today 'cos of the cold weather so I called our contact at Cabelas. He's not available till Monday. (Must be somewhere warm  :'()

Anyway...as soon as I can meet FTF with him and get the particulars I will. This should be the week of Feb. 21>25 , as I have a mandatory week off. I will have all information by the March IBC. Hoping to do a couple range recons that week, if I get replys.

I would expect a good promo table with flags or a banner to highlight our presence. Along with some professional looking instructors, of course. This being a commercial venue I would think smartly dressed is a must. (My tux won't fit anymore, Of course my tux is powder blue with a ruffled shirt. Did I mention bell bottoms?? **) **) **) Sorry...my ponytail went LOOOOOOOOOONG AGO. Khakis and AS accoutrements will do. Back to the issue...thinking of a laptop doing a looped picture show. I am told KMK has such an item that can be on a flashdrive or CD. I also think the U-Tube video of kids at AS would be a nice feature to have on a laptop. I will PM OG to see if that is available.

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

AFTERMATH

QuoteAlong with some professional looking instructors,
OR just some good ol' gung-ho volunteers outta do the trick. ;)

Quote. (My tux won't fit anymore, Of course my tux is powder blue with a ruffled shirt. Did I mention bell bottoms??    Sorry...my ponytail went LOOOOOOOOOONG AGO.

O'Ha!  So, the question that's on everybody's mind right now is:  "Do bell bottoms help you get in a better prone position?  A little extra room for that knee?"

**) **) **)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

Puma Mami

Quote from: sparks1 on February 10, 2011, 08:42:23 PM
I would expect a good promo table with flags or a banner to highlight our presence. Along with some professional looking instructors, of course. This being a commercial venue I would think smartly dressed is a must.

I think you're right about dressing nicely. Maybe a "business casual" type of look? People in Minnesota do seem to be put off by being too dressed up, so a suit or tux would be a bit much ;D.

I'm thinking of a grey wool skirt, nice boots, and a burgundy peacoat-type jacket, for events I can help at. For guys an equivalent would probably be nice shoes or boots, twill pants, a shirt with buttons, maybe even a casual blazer or jacket? I guess I would avoid anything "militaristic"-looking.

I noticed on the top of the main page for Appleseed the people at the winter event are dressed much nicer than people actually dress for an event at the range (myself included  ;) ). So the organization does seem to want to present a more polished image to the public.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

sparks1

Our SI can chime in here...

My thoughts are nice khakis(  even if they are cargo pocket) and Appleseed t-shirts/hats. Like we were gonig to a shoot, only a little better. This is a sporting goods retail venue...many employees wear what I describe. "business casual"??? Heck that's my dress up wear.  O0

(John Maxwell)

AFTERMATH

Yeah, image will be of more importance here.  As we'll be appealing to sportsmen/outdoorsmen; not just gun folk.  Cabela's is high-class round these here parts!

Gun shows are probably the opposite.  Dress too nice and they'll think you're tryin' to scam 'em on something. #)
The more you smell like powder and solvent the better. ^-^

QuoteI guess I would avoid anything "militaristic"-looking.
So...  I'm not sure I can avoid that...  It doesn't matter what I'm wearing; people keep asking me if I'm a veteran.....  :-[  Must just have that look. #)

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on February 11, 2011, 06:51:43 PM
Yeah, image will be of more importance here.  As we'll be appealing to sportsmen/outdoorsmen; not just gun folk.  Cabela's is high-class round these here parts!

Gun shows are probably the opposite.  Dress too nice and they'll think you're tryin' to scam 'em on something. #)
The more you smell like powder and solvent the better. ^-^

QuoteI guess I would avoid anything "militaristic"-looking.
So...  I'm not sure I can avoid that...  It doesn't matter what I'm wearing; people keep asking me if I'm a veteran.....  :-[  Must just have that look. #)

That's good to know about the gun shows. I haven't been to one for at least 20 years. I'll make sure not to dress up at all, except if I go to Cabela's.

Yes, Aftermath, you do have the look of a veteran. Sort of like my brother who was in Marine Recon in the first Gulf War. That's not a bad thing.  ;)

I'm editing this part, because I don't think it came across quite right...

For events like Cabela's or the Family Fun Shoot, I'm thinking something like a denim shirt with either the "youth" or regular oval Appleseed patch sewed above the pocket would work well. I'm concerned that moms, families, hunters, sportsmen, etc. might be put off by seeing lots of olive drab type of clothing, although it works fine at the range and at gun shows. Also, just a t-shirt might not be warm enough/nice enough for a winter Cabela's event.

I'm inclined to wear a denim shirt along with an Appleseed t-shirt, since I prefer long sleeves. So I've ordered a Ladyseed t-shirt and the two types of oval patches to put on long-sleeved denim shirts, or maybe I'll sew one onto a black fleece jacket, too.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Puma Mami

Quote from: sparks1 on February 11, 2011, 06:25:00 PM
Our SI can chime in here...

My thoughts are nice khakis(  even if they are cargo pocket) and Appleseed t-shirts/hats. Like we were gonig to a shoot, only a little better. This is a sporting goods retail venue...many employees wear what I describe. "business casual"??? Heck that's my dress up wear.  O0

I think cargo khakis would be good, because they are very sportsman-like.

Quote from: sparks1 on February 11, 2011, 06:25:00 PM
"business casual"??? Heck that's my dress up wear.  O0

Yeah, for me, too. I mostly just wear that to church these days.

I'll put together a denim shirt with an oval Appleseed patch for me to wear over an Appleseed t-shirt. That should work without being too dressed up.

Sparks1, I'm sending you and AdamT a message with my contact info so you guys can "get me up to speed" to help out the 3-man team for the metro area.

Maybe we can put together a nice mailing/hand-deliver packet for local ranges to overcome concerns they might have and let them know what Appleseed is really about. I have some graphic design training that might help with that, or other flyers and things you might need.

I also have some historical costuming and sewing skills. I don't know how interested Minnesota is in 1700s re-enactors. Looks like some other states' Appleseed groups have them. It might be fun to get a costumed group together to walk in local parades with a banner, or hand out literature at events. I wouldn't have time to do any sewing until summer, though, and if it were for several people I would need other seamstresses to help out. Those clothes take a lot of sewing!

sparks1

PM sent. Thanks for 7th stepping. More hands bailing makes for lighter work. O0

(John Maxwell)

Puma Mami

I can come work a table at Cabelas all day on Saturday, March 19th. Let me know the hours. Is it 100% confirmed?

The banners came in. They look good. It's a fairly heavyweight vinyl that rolls up easily and doesn't try to stay curled up when unrolled. Very nice! I just need to add the hem and grommets to finish them out.

We were up at Cabelas yesterday getting some snap caps and swivels. It does seem pretty high-end, and most of the customers we saw were dressed pretty nicely (it was almost Saturday evening, though, and maybe that's why).

Picked up a Mosin-Nagant at Element Arms in Becker just before that for my teenager's birthday (thanks AdamT for tip about their sale!). I saw they have Appleseed brochures out (from AdamT), and I talked to a couple of their guys about it, let them know we had attended and really liked it. They said, "Yeah, we keep hearing about this Appleseed thing." So I talked about how much it improves accuracy, and the stories are interesting, a viewpoint not taught in the schools these days, etc. They both are considering attending an AS. O0

sparks1

Cabelas is a go. Set up will start around 9am Sat. by the "mountain" I have a 3'x6' table. Sunday we sill go from 10am til 3 or 4pm.

Where do I find the Hinckley dates for printing? Are the other shoots on there? Would be nice to have schedule to hand out...or do we just tell 'em to go to RWVA schedule of events?

(John Maxwell)

Puma Mami

Quote from: sparks1 on March 16, 2011, 06:34:39 PM
Cabelas is a go. Set up will start around 9am Sat. by the "mountain" I have a 3'x6' table. Sunday we sill go from 10am til 3 or 4pm.

Where do I find the Hinckley dates for printing? Are the other shoots on there? Would be nice to have schedule to hand out...or do we just tell 'em to go to RWVA schedule of events?

I'm working on an improved flyer listing events at locations, per vmt123's request. I can get that together and print some before this weekend. I'll post it here as soon as I have it set up, because someone else would need to print for the Coliseum. I'm planning to get the dates off the schedule on the main site, but I think there is also the official flyer on the information link for Hinckley.

I also have a framed rifle girl poster (8 x 10 standing frame), a few of the books -- Paul Revere's Ride, Washington's Crossing, etc. I have maybe 25 trifolds that I'll bring. We could do a balloon bouquet from the dollar store with red silver (or white?) and blue for Cabelas. Would that be helpful? or too much?

I'm giving all the Swat reprints I have to AdamT for the Coliseum along with a framed poster, table cover, runner, banner, acrylic email sign up sign, box for slips, printed sign-up slips, etc.

I'll plan to be there by 8:45am on Saturday at Cabelas. How late does it go on Saturday?

Puma Mami

Quote from: Puma Mami on March 16, 2011, 07:51:30 PM
I'll plan to be there by 8:45am on Saturday at Cabelas. How late does it go on Saturday?

Since Cabelas starts at 9am and I have the tablecloth and stuff, I'll plan to be there by about 8:20am. Do we go in the front doors or a different entrance?

sparks1

Jennifer: 9 am is just fine for Sat. We don't need to be there early. What you have mentioned to bring is great...should be all we need. I think we will pack it in 3 or 4 pm....stay as long as you like, or leave early. No time clocks here.  **) **)

Front door should be okay. Leave you stuff in the car and we'll bring it in together. Anyone else going to be there Sat.? Sven is coming Sunday. Show up if you like and greet some new Appleseeders. Kind of fun to meet them and then see them on the line later.

It would be nice to have the email/newsletter sign up thingee to go along with the flyers. (If that can happen)

Sparks1

(John Maxwell)

Puma Mami

Quote from: sparks1 on March 18, 2011, 06:20:51 PM
Jennifer: 9 am is just fine for Sat. We don't need to be there early. What you have mentioned to bring is great...should be all we need. I think we will pack it in 3 or 4 pm....stay as long as you like, or leave early. No time clocks here.  **) **)

Front door should be okay. Leave you stuff in the car and we'll bring it in together. Anyone else going to be there Sat.? Sven is coming Sunday. Show up if you like and greet some new Appleseeders. Kind of fun to meet them and then see them on the line later.

It would be nice to have the email/newsletter sign up thingee to go along with the flyers. (If that can happen)

Sparks1

Sounds good. 9am, then.

Yes, I do have the acrylic sign holder ready with the email/newsletter sign-up display, plus some slips, and a black box with a slot in the top for people to put them into. So that's all set. O0

Puma Mami

We had a very good day at Cabelas today. Met a lot of enthusiastic people, and many families interested in marksmanship training for their kids. We were right by the polar bear on "the mountain," which was very popular with the families. So a very good location for the table. The event manager for Cabelas kindly made some PA announcements through the day to let shoppers know we were there, and to take a look. We also met Miss Minnesota, who is interested in the program.  O0  All in all, a very successful promotion!

I've attached a photo of how the table looks, and Sparks1 is there manning it. This was a six foot table, so we tucked up two feet of the tablecloth under the red runner. The overall effect was very nice.

I've also attached a document I made to lay out on the table, with photos from the web site to show what Appleseed is like. Many people took a look at these, and I think it was helpful for people to get a sense of what it would be like to attend a shoot.

AFTERMATH

'Twas/'Tis a great set-up!  Good work!  Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

A couple things of note:

1.)  I stepped back inside for a bit and noticed that they had CCI Mini-Mags priced quite reasonably at:  $5.94/100
      'Bout a dollar less than anywhere else.   -Wish I had me some FRN's!

2.)  Well this is actually the more important one;
      Puma Mami, on this day accepted a Blue hat!  Thus, Jennifer is officially, MN's first member of AppleCore(AC)!     
       Not that anyone who frequents the MN Board didn't see it coming. ;)

Blue Five

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 19, 2011, 10:01:52 PM
2.)  Well this is actually the more important one;
      Puma Mami, on this day accepted a Blue hat!  Thus, Jennifer is officially, MN's first member of AppleCore(AC)!     

Huzzah for Puma Mami!  Congratulations!   ..:.. ^:)^ :bow:
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

sparks1

Well...it's about time, I'd say.  Huzzah  for Jennifer. I've seen the work she has done for Mn. AS and quite agree that we have an asset the other 49 states will covet.

Oooooh is Wisconsin gonna be jealous.

Officially ...welcome aboard, Jennifer.   Now get to work.  O0

(John Maxwell)

Blue Five

Quote from: sparks1 on March 20, 2011, 12:33:29 AM
Oooooh is Wisconsin gonna be jealous.

We are!  I don't think we have a blue hat yet...maybe we can steal Puma when Aftermath isn't looking....  @)
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

sparks1

Cabelas was a bit slow today...must be the weather. Still...AS was presented and got good feedback from the interested folks.

We are invited back for any event. many thanks to Cabelas and their staff.

(John Maxwell)

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 19, 2011, 10:01:52 PM

Thanks for the congratulations and huzzahs!  :)

I hope I've already made a difference in the advancement of Appleseed in Minnesota. I know there are so many people who will be really excited about Appleseed once they hear about it and try it out. They just haven't heard of it yet...

We met a bunch like that at Cabelas last weekend, so hopefully we will see them on the line soon.  O0