News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Wilmington, OH Nov. 13-14, 2010

Started by GoldFish, November 14, 2010, 11:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldFish

This shoot was truly amazing!!!  First of all, THANK YOU to the Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen Association for hosting us on your absolutely wonderful facilities. :bow:  This hospitality really made working at this range a pleasant experience. ..:..  I hope we can come back next year for me 'Seedin'.

MeanStreaker, working with shoots with you as shoot boss is ALWAYS an honor.  You lead my EXAMPLE better than anybody in AS I've worked with.  Your knowledge about BOTH Heritage and Marksmanship, and your willingness and desire to share that information with every American is inspiring. ;)

Luna, FuzzyMath, it was very good to see you both again; you're Strikes were passionately told and very moving.
Jeep, it was good seeing you back hitting the Trail again. O0
WY_Not, Andre, blackswamp becky, working with you was wonderful; I'm convinced Ohio has the best Instructors in the Country, but then again, I may be a bit biased. :( :)
I hope our Trails cross again soon, ya'll! :cool2:

Jeff, Lonnie, Cameron, and Steve, a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on those RIFLEMAN SCORES!!! :---  You all are men who do know well what they are about.

This group of shooters was the most appreciative and grateful group I have EVER worked with; I know I said this at the last shoot I worked at as well, but man, you all were amazing!  Shooters, you really don't know how much I truly ENJOY working with you and teaching with you when you respond so well to instruction! O0 8)

This was another great weekend in the AS part of my life.  A HUGE 'Thank You' to all who made it that way. ^:)^

Stay the Course,
---GoldFish

Pictures coming soon...
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

nodeal

jeep45238

Quote from: nodeal on November 15, 2010, 12:20:59 AM
Good times. Here's my Appleseed photo:

Fixed it for ya  ;)

It was a pleasure to have you on the line  O0
USAF A1C ~ Never settle for the ordinary.

Rights cease to exist when restrictions are put on them.

nodeal

one more try:

Notice how far my scope moved in one day. It started the day with the rings up against those little gray epoxy blobs:

This is about the same reaction that I got from my wife and kids when I showed them my targets:

Thanks again to all the instructors that took time away from their families, jobs, and other hobbies to spend the weekend with us. I'll definitely be back with a friend next time.

MeanStreaker

Thank you to all the wonderful people that made this sold out event a success!  Starting of course with the fine folks at CCFSA.  Mr. Hoover, Mr. French, Mr. Tucker, the other club officers, members, and very talented kitchen crew O0 made it easy for this first event at a new location to go butter smooth.  Thank you very much for hosting us and we can't wait to come back in 2011.

The participants made for a great weekend.  It was a lot of fun being amongst you and I hope to see everyone at another event soon.  Congratulations to our four Riflemen!  We also had so many that were oh-so-close.  Melinda, Michael, Jennifer, and many more are knocking on the door!  Keep dryfiring and in no time you'll get there.

Thank you to the Instructors that made this event as great as it was.  It was an honor to work with you and other than sharing our Heritage with everyone on the line... nothing beats campfire time at an Appleseed.  O0
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

GoldFish

Pictures...
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

GoldFish

More...

GoldFish

Some more...

GoldFish

Some more... :)

jeep45238

blackswamp becky

Quote from: nodeal on November 15, 2010, 01:02:02 AM
one more try:

Notice how far my scope moved in one day. It started the day with the rings up against those little gray epoxy blobs:

This is about the same reaction that I got from my wife and kids when I showed them my targets:

Thanks again to all the instructors that took time away from their families, jobs, and other hobbies to spend the weekend with us. I'll definitely be back with a friend next time.

I got to see your photo's before you took them down and it looks like your scope moved a lot, i am the one that told you to dump the scope rings that you have and get the 3/8" tip offs, i hope that it would help.
BSB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

Ronald Reagan

Andre

First, thanks to the Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen Association for an excellent shoot this weekend.   O0  O0  O0
I always will appreciate the clubs that take an active part in making this a great program, and making this a great country.  I look forward to seeing you "down the trail" in the future (don't we Appleseeders talk funny?).

Next, for those who were "upset" that I missed the Indiana deer opener, I was able to visit the woods this afternoon.  Saw several squirrels, nuthatches, woodpeckers, and even an owl on my way out.  Nope, didn't bring home the bacon, err, I mean the main ingredient for venison jerky - maybe later this week.  Most of you don't know that one of our shooters, Gary, knows someone in my area who was able to get out this weekend.  Gary seemed more than happy  ..:..  to let me know that his friend brought home a 17 point (aka BIG) buck.  Thanks for the "salt in the wound", Gary!   ;)

However, as I mentioned during our introductions, you, and what you came to experience this weekend, are much more important than any deer season opener, BIG BUCKS not withstanding!!!  I enjoyed working with all those that I was able to.  I'm encouraged by participants like you, who listen to the instruction, both on the range and during the heritage times.  Don't let it slip bye, keep the perseverance that I saw in you, and all of you can be Riflemen.   O0 
I felt especially privileged to learn of Loren's ties to Boston of 1775.  It's not everyday that we get to experience the "links" to our past in such a personal way (though it CAN be that way IF we let it)!  Thanks for sharing that with me - I'm glad that your daughter can express that tie with enthusiasm too. 

Congratulations to all our new Rifleman, and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of all of you receiving that patch in a future AAR.  Remember, Mike gave you new ways to watch your TV, so get off that couch and practice those seated positions (maybe prone, too?) until it feels "normal"!   ~~:)

dirtdawg

Well, I'm still processing.  I have a lot of stuff to work on :wb:.  I know I have it in me to shoot a Rifleman score, which I admit, shouldn't be the ultimate goal in the face of our loss of connection with the founding principals; but nevertheless is something to contemplate.

I really appreciate all the patience and professionalism of the instructors and the enthusiasm of the participants.  I promise to work on breaking bad habits to be a more receptive student next time.  It is going to be tough.  Additionally, I would like to work on educating myself about the heritage and be an advocate of the program. 

I have some ideas to improve the next AS event at CCFSA, from a facilities and coordination standpoint, but I would appreciate any feedback you may have.  PM would be great.  Constructive would be appreciated.

Dirtdawg
AKA Michael

jeep45238

No worries Michael, just sling up and work that trigger against the grounding post on an electrical outlet  :)

I personally don't have any feedback about the facilities/coordination (I wasn't party to setting anything up), but I can say that the facilities and awesome kitchen staff were incredible.  Incredible variety of food an drinks, and the prices were pretty dang reasonable.

The only thing that I can think of that was better than the facility and members of the club, was our students.  Not enough can be said about them.

RPD

Wilmington was a special shoot.  One of our new Riflemen, Steve, was at a shoot in Athens in April 2010 with his wife, Jennifer.  I assisted in instruction then.  He and his wife were back in Athens last month, getting ever closer to the elusive 210.  I've never been to a shoot outside of Athens and when Meanstreaker called for help, my son, David, and I responded.  Steve and Jennifer showed up in Wilmington (much closer to their home).  Steve was able to put everything together and shoot 2 Rifleman scores.  I was honored to have been able to present him with the coveted Rifleman's patch.  Jennifer shot 207 and 206, following very close behind.  I have no doubt that at her next shoot, she'll also have the distinction to receive the Rifleman patch.  I was proud to have been at all 3 shoots and personally watch the progress that you both have made in that time.  I echo Andre in his sentiments about your father's tie to Boston, something to be honored by.You both know very well what you are about!  

The same could be said of many who attended . . . Michael and Melinda were both receptive.  If the sun hadn't been setting so early, it would have made those afternoon AQTs go much more smoothly.

Cameron, one of our other new Riflemen, had a great sense of humor and was deadly accurate, even with his "walking scope" problem.

Brad was so appreciative of all that we did, but didn't know that his cheerful, infectious gratitude touched me even more than the efforts that we made to assist him.

Garry, I know that your equipment difficulties frustrated you, but persist and overcome.  PM or email me if you want some "off-line" pointers to help.  Karen was a trooper as well.  It was a true joy to meet you both!

CCFSC was a gracious host and made us feel not just welcome, but as if we were at our home range.  Thank you all (Don, Michael, Melinda, etc) for your warm hospitality.  

Meanstreaker, Andre, GoldFish, WY_not, FuzzyMath, Jeep, Blackswamp Becky (great chili, btw), and the man who presented me with MY Rifleman's patch - Luna, it was great working with you all.  Andre - do well this deer season.  Hopefully, there is another 17 pointer in the woods for you.  Your sacrifice (and as a deer hunter, I KNOW the sacrifice) is noted and greatly appreciated!

Appleseed - creating a family of Riflemen dedicated to awakening the spirit of Liberty in a sleeping people!

-RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

GoldFish

GranTorino

Thank you CCFSA for a wonderful facility. This was our third Appleseed and it was great fun. We got to bring my father in-law and my two nephews for their first shoot. Although I shot my Rifleman score on Sunday, I was just as excited that the new participants we had brought were having a good time.  The instruction was top notch as it always is at these events. Meanstreaker, You are the heart of Ohio appleseed. I hope you know how much you are appreciated by the students and other instructors. RPD, I am glad you got to present me with my Rifleman patch. I think you know how much you had to do with it. I still want to thank you for pestering me at the worst possible moments, breaking my concentration, and making me want it that much more. If I had only started listing to you in April I would have scored Rifleman last month.
As I mentioned this is a great range and we hope they will have us back for more shoots in the future. It should be near the top of any appleseeder's list of places to shoot.
All fellow students were friendly and helpful at this event. One of the reasons I go.
Steve

jeep45238

Shamelessly stolen from another forum that I frequent. 

Posted by this fellow here:

Quote from: Tyler_LaddReview of Wilmington Appleseed Nov. 13-14, 2010

The Facility:  This place was awesome, Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen Association.  They've got a fairly large clubhouse in farm country outside Wilmington, OH.  There are trap/skeet ranges on the east side of the road (and archery too I believe) with pistol and rifle ranges on the west side.  I was highly impressed with the facilities, and the food that was available for purchase at lunch wasn't a bad touch at all.

Saturday morning started with coffee and introductions, along with a brief synopsis of what the Appleseed project is and why it was created.  The shoot boss (our very own Meanstreaker) then spent time covering the safety rules and various line commands that the students would be hearing over the weekend.

Once all the rules and commands were covered, it was time to start shooting.  We shot our first targets utilizing only what we had brought with us; our prior knowledge of how to shoot.  These showed me a lot.  My first target was horrible, but that's why I was there, to learn to shoot. 

The morning session covered everything from the basics of using a sling, to the 6-steps to firing a shot, to sight alignment, to natural point of aim, to zeroing sights.  We had at the very least been introduced to nearly everything we were going to learn before lunch on Saturday.  The first day of an Appleseed has been compared to 'drinking from a fire-hose', and I'll echo that sentiment, however I felt that the instructors did an incredible job of making sure everyone understood what was going on and taking the time to answer any and all questions with courtesy and respect

During lunch we visited and heard the first part of the story of April 19th, 1775.  I'll never be able to recount the details here with the eloquence of our Appleseed Instructors, and I don't want to spoil the story, so I'll simply mention it and let you find out the details when you attend an Appleseed.  The clubhouse had burgers and fries for sale for the people who didn't bring a lunch and that stuff hit the spot.  I can't thank them enough for that.

The afternoon session on Saturday was spent learning the seated and standing positions, as well as continuing to practice the stuff we had learned that morning.  We also shot our very first AQT of the weekend.  My only real complaint about my entire experience comes up here:  The orientation of the range was such that by about 4:00 pm the sun was sitting low and directly in front of the firing line causing all sorts of problems.  The glare off my rear aperture was so bad that I couldn't even see the target (not that I would have qualified anyways, haha.)  Alas, I can't discount Appleseed or even fault the range for that, just happened to be an unfortunate situation that couldn't really be avoided.

We packed up our gear for the day and heard the second part of the April 19th story after shooting our AQT's.  The Instructors also scored the targets for those who so chose, and awarded Rifleman patches to those who qualified.  I'm not on that list, yet.

Saturday night was probably the most memorable part of the weekend for me.  The Instructors built a campfire and cooked chili.  Its hard to describe what I was feeling that night, but I was extremely impressed by the wisdom of the Appleseed Instructors and the camaraderie they share between themselves and their students.  These guys and gals truly are a class act.  Jeep calls it the 'Appleseed Magic' and after experiencing it, I tend to agree.

Sunday morning started much the way Saturday did:  coffee and safety briefing.  The focus Sunday was less on listening to lectures and more on shooting.  We did a lot of AQT's and redcoats in the time I was there.

I had to leave right after we finished lunch, but I was able to stick around and hear the last part of the April 19th story and lecture on bullet drop after it.  There was a lot of good information here, I'll be looking forward to putting it to use.

In conclusion, my first Appleseed was everything I expected and then some.  I learned much more than I could have ever dreamed, and I got to have a lot of fun hanging out with great people in the process.  If you haven't been to an Appleseed yet, do it.  My only regret is taking so long to finally get to one, it was a blast!

nodeal

OK. I've officially gotten the bug. I sent off my paperwork for a CMP Garand a couple of weeks ago. You know, because every American should own a .30 caliber semiautomatic rifle :)

MeanStreaker

QuoteYou know, because every American should own a .30 caliber semiautomatic rifle

You know, that's kinda catchy.   :cool2:

;D
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)