News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Audubon PA November 28, 2010 (LPRGC)

Started by lprgcfrank, November 29, 2010, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lprgcfrank

This was our first Appleseed at Lower Providence Rod and Gun club in Audubon PA.
This was a 1 day 50' Appleseed limited to .22lr.  It was a way for the club to experience Appleseed as a way to progress to standard 2 day Appleseeds at this wonderful suburban Philadelphia club.  We were using one of the bays on the new 25 yard range.

We had 7 shooters out on a beautiful autumn day to drink from the firehose on the fundamentals of Rifle Marksmanship and our American Heritage.  It was a fun safe shoot with bright sunshine and cool breezes.

Many thanks to Jeff, Scott and Brian who came out to assist with instruction and running a safe line and to the instructors, Tom (Chainsaw), Huyen (Big H) and Jeff (Guilford).  With the every low student to instructor ratio, we were able to provide a high level of individual instruction.

Due to local range rules, we could not put rounds downrange until 11am and had to cease fire by 4pm so this was a jam packed day.  We got in 2 AQT's and while we did not have any Rifleman - but we have one who was very close. Using a loaner Ruger 10-22, Dimitry cleaned his final redcoat and shoot a 220 (but not within the time limit).

Here are some pictures of our young Patriots Mischa, Richard and Emily the pirate! and Dimitry with his cleaned redcoat.

Please comment and share additional photo's.
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

lprgcfrank

A couple more pictures of the instruction
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

B9

Good job, Frank. A short one day and still got everything done. O0 :bow:
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

AmericaStandsStrong

Guilford

A wonderful, safe and enlightening time had by all.

This was the first time I got to see Big H and Chainsaw coach and teach.    Wow, they were great! Which should be no surprise since they are AS instructors.   :) Also, what a joy to have such a high instructor/student ratio.

Hats off to Frank, an excellent job -- as usual.

We had a several no shows including a few members of the gun club's board -- so I guess we will have to do it again.

lprgcfrank

lprgcfrank

Here's feedback from a parent of a participant

I signed my daughter up for the Appleseed program yesterday with the expectation that she would be able to get a few tips on how to improve her rifle shooting.

The program far exceeded my best expectations.  The event was well organized and well run.  The instructors were all extremely knowledgeable in how to teach the "advanced basics" (my term) of rifle marksmanship, and were also well prepared in how to help each shooter discover how to make those instructions work for them.

My daughter, Emily, age 14, had a fantastic time and was enthusiastic about being there all day even as the temperatures dropped in the late afternoon.  She expressed that she learned more about rifle shooting in those 7 hours than she had learned in the past 2 years of shooting.  (Mostly, because she hasn't listened to a thing I've tried to tell her the last two years, but I digress.)

Another wonderful aspect of the program, which also helped to break up the day, were the history lessons regarding the start of the Revolutionary War.  It was a somber to reminder of what those colonists sacrificed in order to achieve their freedom, and the establishment of the ideals of freedom.

I highly recommend this program to any shooter of any age and any experience level that cannot put a 10 shot group in a 4" diameter circle at 100 yards either standing, kneeling, sitting or prone.  I hope that this program is able to be continued at the club as I am sure many of our members would benefit from these events.

--------------------------

Jeffory J. Beckers

lprgcfrank

Pictures from Dimitry

lprgcfrank

More from Dimitry

lprgcfrank

More from Dimitry

lprgcfrank

another thank you note posted to the club listserver.

Completely agreeing with Jeff: this event far exceeded my expectations.  A great markmanship learning and equally great overview of the dramatic events on April 18-19, 1775.  Misha now wishes they told students at the Episcopal Academy (his school), half of what he learned yesterday about the U.S. history!... :)

This is a phenomenal program and I cannot express enough gratitude to the instructors.  We need more of the same at LPRGC!

Dmitry Melnik

Chainsaw

Good meeting everyone!  Here's to many, many more at LPRGC.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

ClarkeF

Sounds like a great event!

Heck if I had known there was a 1-day, I might have shown up with the 10/22.

Ah well, I'll catch one next year.

Cheers,

Clarke

Big H

It was an excellent event, with students with teachable attitudes who improved marksmanship and enjoyed the heritage, great support from the range, and fine fellow instructors.

Maybe we will see you for 1 day at Manheim in 3 weeks.

Guilford

Another response:

Appleseed Sunday at LPRGC
I want to thank Frank and the Team (Bruce , Jeffory , Scott ,
Huyen , Jeff  and  Tom ) for an outstanding experience.
I started out my professional career (many, many [did I say many?] years ago as
a History Teacher, it is refreshing to see that OUR history (and our core as a
country) is being kept alive in the real world, (since so much of it has been
cut from the classrooms or hidden from us by various parties). I have kept my
love for the history of our country alive in my life as I moved on to other
careers, I am glad to see that others have as well.

As far as the marksmanship training presented; it was beyond what I expected in
such a short span of time.  Â Again, Kudos to the instructors for their
diligence and professionalism and I too highly recommend this program to shooters of all ages and abilities.

I will be writing to the board directly to encourage them to allow this program
to find a home at LPRGC. After all, we are in the shadow of Valley Forge which
played a significant role in our history as well.

Although my marksmanship still needs work; I was glad to be able to contribute
by provided a number of "unique" examples of misfires of .22LR ammunition, which
I am sure will find a home in future Appleseed events.

My only regret is that I did not bring my granddaughter along for the day. She
will not miss the next one to be held at LPRGC (hint, hint).
And now my quest for the Rifleman Patch is on full throttle.

Thank you all again for a wonderful experience.
Â
Â
D. Brian Kester
ACT-I
Consultant, Military Programs

Guilford

After thinking about the shoot for a little bit here is my AAR:

AS can be rightly be used as a case study in continuous improvement. 

It has been more years than I would like to admit since I last helped instruct an AS shoot (blah, blah, insert the usual excuses), but I am shocked at the level, the innovations, the improvements in the program over the years. 

Sometimes, when you are immersed in the day to day struggles you miss the bigger picture.

I don't want to write a dissertation here, but some highlights are:

Using a laser pointed channel gun to instruct NPOA.

Playing Cards.

Three history lessons complete with graphics.

More patches, challenge coins, etc.

Storage of magazines for sitting and prone rapidfire.

Equipment line, firing line delineation.

Tech-sights.

Training program for developing instructors.

British bayonets and revolutionary flags.

That is just a few of the changes, for the better, that I saw.  Now, don't sit back on your haunches with a contented sigh....change is the only constant in life and if we don't work to improve every aspect of an AS shoot then the program will change for the worse (there, I sound like Fred).  ;D

Anyhow, well done everyone.

Guilford

Quote from: Guilford on November 30, 2010, 09:18:37 AM
Another response:

Appleseed Sunday at LPRGC
I want to thank Frank and the Team (Bruce , Jeffory  Scott ,
Big H, Guilford and Chainsaw) for an outstanding experience.
I started out my professional career (many, many [did I say many?] years ago as
a History Teacher, it is refreshing to see that OUR history (and our core as a
country) is being kept alive in the real world, (since so much of it has been
cut from the classrooms or hidden from us by various parties). I have kept my
love for the history of our country alive in my life as I moved on to other
careers, I am glad to see that others have as well.

As far as the marksmanship training presented; it was beyond what I expected in
such a short span of time.   Again, Kudos to the instructors for their
diligence and professionalism and I too highly recommend this program to shooters of all ages and abilities.

I will be writing to the board directly to encourage them to allow this program
to find a home at LPRGC. After all, we are in the shadow of Valley Forge which
played a significant role in our history as well.

Although my marksmanship still needs work; I was glad to be able to contribute
by provided a number of "unique" examples of misfires of .22LR ammunition, which
I am sure will find a home in future Appleseed events.

My only regret is that I did not bring my granddaughter along for the day. She
will not miss the next one to be held at LPRGC (hint, hint).
And now my quest for the Rifleman Patch is on full throttle.

Thank you all again for a wonderful experience.
Â
Â
D. Brian Kester
ACT-I
Consultant, Military Programs