News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sierra Vista, AZ 18-19 September 2010

Started by lysander6, September 20, 2010, 02:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lysander6

Sierra Vista, AZ   September 18-19, 2010  IAAR
Shoot Boss: lysander6
RH:  None
IIT:  AzRyan (IIT2), MTProgrammer (IIT2), AZBinary (IIT1), usarmyguyretired (IIT1) and freerifleman (IIT0)

Riflemen:   5!
Scores: 210, 217, 219, 222, 233 (!)
Knocking on the door: 3 (202-208)

Another great group of Americans to include an IIT who flew in from my former environs on the other border; of the five newly minted Riflemen, Grant was 12 and scored a 233!  He has been to other Appleseeds of ours.  A Rifleman persists!

Perfect weather and it never got unpleasant.  We are at 5000 feet in the desert.

Redcoat scores peaked on SAT PM (a pattern is emerging).  Two AQTs completed on SAT and we got three riflemen that day.  Go figure.  Big thanks to usramyguyretired and freerifleman for stepping up to flesh out our IIT ranks.  They enabled me to take my seasoned (don't let their grade fool you) IITs, AZRyan and AZBinary, to rove the line and coach. A special mention of AZBinary's sainted bride who helped with the admin stuff.  She is also very close to the Rifleman score and will usher in the second IIT couple in AZ!  The McElroys made landfall from Ohio and have moved back here to AZ, they are both IIT3s.  They came by to recon the effort in the afternoon and will be joining our crew in DEC.  AZBinary and AZRyan along with Mtprogrammer (who flew in from Montana!) were vital to our coaching effort.
Most rifles were .22 but we did have some MBRs on the line to include ARs and an M1A.

Lunch on SAT was another spellbinding retelling of the ripping good yarn that is 19 April 1775.

Our most talented rifleman in southern AZ, known as In The Hills on the forum scored a 247!  His goal is a 250 in DEC 2010.

Sunday saw a lowering in attendance by half a dozen but we proceeded apace but the shooters were spent by late afternoon, we completed 6x AQTs and a variety of drills and we shot our final Redcoat at approx 1545 and then proceeded with the benediction.  The shooters appeared to be very happy with the weekend.

I could not have asked for a better IIT crew.  They never faltered and always maintained the professional demeanor that makes us so unique.  Both usarmyguyretired and freerifleman were the signal difference in the quality of instruction we could deliver.  They allowed coaching to take place consistently on the line.  They also did a fair amount of coaching themselves.

Total of 8 AQTs fired produced five Riflemen and three consistent scorers between 202 and 208 knocking on the door.  

All Orange Hats acquitted themselves with honor and our instructor cadre is growing.  As ShootBoss, I was the only Red hat but this is just a matter of time.  We are seeding the fields in AZ and the orange hat crew I had was safe and enthusiastic.  They also brought very mature and diverse shooting backgrounds which only improved the instruction.  No points of instruction suffered in the least.

Pictures of the event can be found here:  http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab197/mnseitz/appleseed%209-18-10/

Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

Kaiser Leib

A most excellent and rousing delivery of instruction by the Arizona crew! I was particularly impressed with the 3 Strikes; one can clearly see the enthusiasm this instructor corps has for their study of history. Very impressive improvement by the shooters; the rifleman count was impressive, although the law of large numbers dictates that a 50%+ rifleman rate may be unachievable. I do hope to return in the future and partake once again in the AZ crew's version of Appleseed.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

AmericanJoe

This was my second Appleseed and I enjoyed it immensely.  Kudos to Shoot Boss and the Orange Hats for an outstanding  job.  I commend them for their experience, skill, passion, dedication, and perseverance over the weekend to improving my technique, marksmanship skills, and to giving me a better appreciation of the sacrifices made on April 19th, 1775 for the nation we enjoy today.

My AQT score improved from 73 in my first Appleseed to 185 this past weekend - Yay! 

Appleseed serves as a reminder of why the United States of America is the greatest country in the world.  I am currently in the process of becoming a citizen of this great nation.  Achieving "Rifleman" status will be an honor, a very special personal achievement that will bring me closer to the true meaning of being a proud American and the enjoyment of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

:---

AZbinary

An excellent weekend to Appleseed!  With an excellent bunch of Americans, and soon to be Americans.  Lots of improvement in groups and scores, in spite of the brisk fall days (90 or so).

Can't wait for December!

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

lysander6

Here is the Instructor Crew in Sierra Vista, AZ SEP 2010:

Left to right:  Mark S (AZBinary), Bill B (lysander6), Phil P (usarmyguyretired), Ryan A (AZRyan), Skip L (Freerifleman), Kaiser L (MTProgrammer)

AZOpie

Excellent! It's great to see the southern part of the state having such a great turnout and 5 more Riflemen to boot! Welcome to our transpanted instructors - looking forward to meeting you in the future. I'll be coming down in December to play in your sandbox!

Looks like Appleseed is thriving all across the state!

AZO

azmule

And the top picture above explains why the family album at my house contains pictures only of my wife.   :D

Another excellent experience for me, my scores are still coming up with every Appleseed I attend.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

geoffbeneze

Gentlemen,
This is the first time we've shoot at SV. For me, it's a homecoming, a trip to my roots and childhood.

My cousin Bruce flew in from the east coast for his second AS, it was my third.

The ambiance down in "The Gulch" was by far the most enjoyable of the events I've attended. While it's difficult for us to make Sierra Vista during the school year, we will attempt to get there as often as  possible. I vastly prefer it to any location in the Phx Valley.

Good Job Guys! (and Ladies)

skywalker2of5

Flew in from the east coast, my second AS, Geoff my cousin grew up in Sierra Vista. Still didn't make rifleman but my score improved by more than 70 points:D which tells you how bad I shot at the last one. I'm striving for constant improvement, and will bring my significant other again and get her to shoot next time. I love the history of Lexington and Concord, and it would be well worth coming just for it.
Bruce Walker
in Md
NRA Life Member.

AZbinary

It was great seeing you guys, and I hope you make it out in December, the weather is perfect then.

Don't forget to dryfire at home, you can give your S.O. a glimpse of Appleseed that way.

Cheers!

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

lysander6

What a fantastic group of shooters.  The improvements we saw were phenomenal and everyone from young to old put their heart into it.  Almost makes the pay worthwhile we get as volunteers.  

Young Grant (12) has been at several of my Appleseeds and he persists.  This effort led to a 232, simply amazing.  His father was beaming.

I meet the best people on the Trail.

Hope to see you all back on the line in DEC for our Bill of Rights Day Shoot and our inaugural Articles of Confederation Day Shoot in FEB 2011.

What AZbinary says: dryfire!

geoffbeneze

Quote from: AZbinary on September 22, 2010, 01:02:06 PM
It was great seeing you guys, and I hope you make it out in December, the weather is perfect then.

Don't forget to dryfire at home, you can give your S.O. a glimpse of Appleseed that way.

Cheers!

AZB

We may not make it down to SV, but we're planning to attend at least two more up north this fall. This fall sees my son at his first and my daughter at her third.

I'd like to make at least one in Payson. I've always liked their range.

We'll see what I can do with some new glasses.
geoff
beast-enterprises.com

AZbinary

You'll enjoy Payson too, AZ Opie, our new state coordinator, will take great care of you and the family.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011