News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Chambersburg, PA Sep 11-12, 2010

Started by Spanner, September 13, 2010, 07:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spanner

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

mal

I'll start it off.  I didn't take note of any statistics, so Spanner or tatical308 will have to fill that in later. 

It was a pretty nice weekend over all; not too hot Saturday & was wet only a few hours in the morning on Sunday.  We had 24 shooters on the line Sat & 13 on Sun with a great mix of older & younger, boys & girls and several families present. 

The Redcoats improved significantly over the weekend.  We did have 1 shooter earn their Rifleman patch with a score of 222.  Congrats Zack!  (pic below, thanks to Dave M).  Zack also accepted the Orange Hat.  Congrats again & thank you for your future service.

We did have a few who came ooh so close to earning Rifleman.  Shemaine (hope I spelled that right) came within 1/32" of a 210.  Mike(?) shot 2 209s and a few others almost as close.  A Rifleman is persistent, so I'm sure we'll be seeing both again soon.

Last, but not least, tatical308 earned his Full Instructor Red Hat.  Congrats Greg!  You've earned it.

~Malcontent

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."
~ John Adams

rlewis

What a great weekend to go to an Apple seed event. The weather was very nice and the Chambersburg Rod and Gun club had great cover over the shooting range, tatical308 brought more cover and good thing he did because on Saturday we had quite the line going. There were different people there from all over the state of PA, WV, and MD...what a turn out.

Thanks MAL what a rocky road to get that badge! What an honor to receive the orange hat.

The long road to the rifleman's badge for me started in Manheim, PA. During this event I was able/had to borrow two separate rifles as my Ruger was being difficult. I have one of those new stocks with the high cheek rests and thumb holes. Those darn things are impossible to use the Ruger stock iron sites while in a prone position without picking up some very bad habits - which I had. I had to leave early on Sunday so I couldn't quite get my score up to rifleman's standard by the time I left.  On my way home I stopped off at Gander Mountain and picked up the cheapest scope I could find, to start my dry firing exercise of course!

A RIFLEMAN persists!!

Saturday started off with some awesome instruction, led into some target shooting, more instruction and the first strike of the match after lunch. I was really giving those targets a run for their money, and I was sure I would get my rifleman's badge by the EOD.  After the first strike story we put up a green coat and after that would be our first AQT, FINALLY I thought to myself. Then the unbelievable happened...I was way off on the green coats, I adjusted with some Kentucky windage and I was way off the other way, I was all over the place. What is going on I asked myself are you tired? NO. Are cramped? NO.  Did this cheap scope just break on me? Are these cheap Remington bulk bullets finally doing what everyone said they would do?  I start to inspect my rifle and that is when I hear it...the scope mount is so loose it is practically ready to fall off. I quickly grab some tools take the scope off and screw down the scope mounts and remount the scope. Last target of the day...AQT...now all I have to adjust my zero and do an AQT all at once while scoring high enough to get the badge, YAY!!! Sadly I did not get my rifleman's badge this day.

A RIFLEMAN persists!!

I was able to get some loctite from tatical308 and I was going to show that scope mount who the boss was and then those AQT's and I would have a reckoning.

Sunday started off with some zeroing square targets, just what I need but guess what...I had a bolt that would not function...guess in my excitement to show that scope mount who the boss was I added a little too much loctite...I hope for the best and we start to take apart the rifle to get at the bolt, as we were tapping out the pins the bolt releases and I almost jumped up and down in joy, YAHOO!!! "A Rifleman persists" The next target that I was able to shoot is again the AQT...again I have to try and zero my scope and shoot the AQT...I give a good accounting of myself scoring a 197. A few minor MOA adjustments and I know I will have found my zero again.  We break for lunch and then it's time for the second strike story, what a great moment in history for our country...I think would I have done the same? Would I have stepped beyond the known and into the unknown? I would like to think that I would have done the same what courage it must have been to step into the unknown.
After lunch and the second strike it is more AQT's...YES!!! The end of the first AQT I am feeling really confident and have MAL score it...222 YIPPIE, I follow that up with a 217 and then a 220. By this time I was on cloud 9 as I knew that the coveted rifleman's badge was finally mine. We finished the day with the 3rd strike and more AQT's.

Special thanks to the SB and all the IIT's, for all of your help/instruction a shiny new badge and a spiffy new hat...ALSO a big GRATS to tatical308 on his red hat!!! You really deserve it.

PaMinuteman

This was a great weekend to have my first shoot as an IIT, the weather was good and the people were friendly. Congratulations to rlewis for making Rifleman and to tactical308 for getting his Red Hat. I hope everyone on the line learned as much as I did.

tatical308

OK, I'm finally back from Syracuse, NY and able to U/L some pics. The numbers for Chambersburg are finally coming up, hopefully more next year. It is a great feeling to be able to instruct and teach both the history and rifleman skills. Seems that the shooters enjoy the history as much as shooting. We almost had a couple rifleman
patches to hand out, real close. Anyhow here are some pics, enjoy!!
Aim small, miss small!

Big H

Looks like you had a great week-end in Chambersburg. And congratulations on the Red Hat!