News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Cloverdale, IN Jun 26 - 27 2010

Started by DaveD, June 28, 2010, 05:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveD

WOW what a weekend!

Started at range capacity Saturday morning with 25 on the line, most new to Appleseed, several having driven down from Michigan. Weather humid, in the 70's.  Intro with First Strike set the tone for our weekend and a busy morning.
After lunch and Second Strike we launched into a hot (90's) humid afternoon with a  persistent group of shooters.  Called it a day at 4:30 with the Third Strike of the match.

Sunday with 18 shooters on line and our first AQT.  The weekend ended with three Rifleman.  Kathy @ 216, Chris @ 216 and Eric at 213 with several more knocking at the door.

My thanks to all for another great time on the range.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

yellowhousejake

Agreed! A great but very hot weekend. Another weekend that reminds me why I love this job. Let's go straight to the pics so everyone can comment.

The range was ready,

And the shooters were too, it's a full line this weekend!

Let's get some instruction in, top notch from our Senior instructor Hawkhavn,

A full target line of sighter squares,

Some more instruction, ATM provides the perfect model for prone,

Iron sight users get a heads up with the use of the "Hoosier Sight Demonstrator", the groups they shoot say it works!

Some more sighter squares,

And some more instruction,

The shooters take instruction well this weekend, and everyone improves,

You can fall asleep in the sling if your SHF are good right Bubba? Bubba?, someone wake Bubba up...

Lunch both days was wonderful, thanks to the Dorsett ladies for providing a great lunch with flowers on the table even!!

Desert fit for a king Rifleman,

Indiana gains a new Instructor!. ATM is a welcome addition to the Instructor Corps,

Now get to work!

By Sunday, we see Rifleman born!!!!!!

We finish the weekend with Rifleman ringing steel, the sound of Liberty.

Many thanks to all who showed up and braved the heat index with us, it was a good weekend to be an American.

Yellowhousejake

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Old Glory!

DaveD,  That green hat looks might fine on you!  Good to see you out at work.

and AUNTIEBELLUM!  Back on the line in your home State after your first Appleseed in New Lisbon, WI!  What was it like for you at your second Appleseed?   

Nice pictures.

OG in WI
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Patriot Gal

Looks like y'all had a great shoot!  Castle Mountain and I plan to border raid over there later this summer.  I told him how nice the range was from when we did the all women's shoot a few weeks ago.  That clubhouse building is nice and COOL to come into out of the HOT and HUMID!!!!   :cool2:

Nice pics!  Good looking group of Americans engaging in their Second Amendment Right!!! Is is a great day for America!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ;D

Congrats to all the new Riflemen!!!!    O0 O0 O0 O0  Now pass it on to others!!

Congrats to ATM for your nice, new red had.  Looks good on ya!! 

Thanks for all you do for Appleseed!!!
Patriot Gal (Illinois)   :---
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

TBE

Looks like a great shoot! 

I missed this shoot, but look forward to working under DaveD and checking out Cloverdale. 

We are so fortunate in Indiana to have so many great patriots, both instructors and shooters, willing to get off the couch and get to work.  I sit here a free citizen in a free state in a free country.  I often think about how much I owe my forefathers, the farmers, miners, masons, and hunters (all armed, all skilled at arms) that came before me and gave me this soft and easy life that I so often complain about.   

They tamed the wilderness, beat the world's top army, and cleared the rocks from the fields with their torn hands.  All I am asked to do is go to a job that is softer than the easiest day 99% of my ancestors saw in their entire lives, vote, pester my elected officials,  and every now and then shoot some rifles and talk some history with some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. 
What a deal!

Thanks, shooters and instructors, you guys make me proud!
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

AuntieBellum

Another GREAT Appleseed! I'm SUPER proud of my dad for making Rifleman at his first 'seed!  My sister did a fabulous job, too, getting all the way up to the 160s (not to mention that it was her very first time shooting a rifle!)!  I'm getting closer - highest AQT at 193, so almost there!  Rimshot (yes, I know it's confusing - Rimshot here, Bubba on INGO) did well, too, although he sacrificed his rifle to my dad so my dad could use the tech sights.  :)  We'll pop some tech sights on our loaner 10/22, and it'll be good to go from now on.  A big thanks to ATM and DHolder for the loaner rifles for the weekend!  We could not have brought our guests along without your help!

The best was getting to put faces with names.  It was great to meet so many INGOers/Appleseeders - hawkhaven, DaveD, ATM, DHolder, Bill of Rights, yellowhousejake...I'm probably forgetting someone.  It was great to meet Niecie, too - I look forward to working with you more soon!

I also paid more attention to the history this time, so it was even more interesting this go 'round!  It was certainly nice to see how my home state runs their seeds!

Can't wait to do it again!  Thanks, everyone!  And, congratulations, ATM!

And I have more posted on my blog, so feel free to check that out, too!  ;)  http://patriotwhispers.blogspot.com

Quote from: Old Glory! on June 28, 2010, 11:34:39 PM
DaveD,  That green hat looks might fine on you!  Good to see you out at work.

and AUNTIEBELLUM!  Back on the line in your home State after your first Appleseed in New Lisbon, WI!  What was it like for you at your second Appleseed?   

Nice pictures.

OG in WI
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

ATM

I don't envy the truly tough choices that each patriot had to face to secure this Liberty, but I catch a small glimpse every time we muster against the modern foes of complacency, apathy and comfort. In remembrance, we are able to honor. By emulation, we relate. In sharing, we maintain a legacy of heritage which forms new bonds reaching well beyond the history of our nation - to forging the future.

It was again a privilege to join with all you fine folks who came out to Cloverdale. As old friends and new established and reinforced the mindset and the marksmanship that were once so commonly shared, I must report that the Rifleman spirit was clearly evident across the line this weekend. You all persevered through the heat, humidity, aches, and a formidable barrage of information and ideas with ever shrinking groups and smiles on your faces. :) It really was fun!

Some of the cooks hit the mark of Rifleman (and received bacon! ^-^) Congratulations! Several others were reaching within a shot or two of doing so. Fantastic progress! Keep up the practice and return to surpass the standard next time (by the numbers, you know the drill!) ~~:)

It was encouraging to have so many whole families sharing the firing line, the reflections, the fun, the meals (both lunches and a particularly awesome camp breakfast!) Don't forget to practice that 7th step, which someone made on your behalf, by encouraging this same opportunity for another family to enjoy.

P.S. I will not be quitting my day job to pursue a career of song or dance ^:)^ thanks to everyone's continued and still unanimous advice.  

;D See ya on the trail!

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Boba Fett

First of all, a very heartfelt thanks to ATM  #) for opening my eyes to all the wonderful joys of Bacon.  O0 To the rest of the Indiana crew... I miss you all already! This past weekend will be up there at the top of my favorite Appleseed memories. And not just because it was so freaking hot.  ;D I love traveling to other states and seeing how others do things. I always learn so much and this weekend was no exception. You guys have some of the best visual aids I have seen on the trail.

YHJ... Thanks for letting em steal one of your sight picture/alignment tool thingy's. I can't wait to show the rest of the IL guys your genius little invention. I might even share it with my MO and WI friends too.  ;)

DaveD... you are a consummate gentleman. It was truly a pleasure to work your shoot this weekend. Thanks for having me.

Hawhavn... Thanks for giving me the chance to prove myself Sunday morning by taking Darby and Casey through the entire course of Instruction before lunch. It was a great experience for me and a real confidence booster.

Don... I cannot stop thinking about that chocolate fudge cherry cake you made for us in your dutch oven. I would drive 5 hours for another plate of that stuff. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. You did a good job on the history.

Bill of Rights... Thanks for all the great "reminiscing". It's always great to be able to talk about old TV shows and make a reference about something that someone else actually gets. We must have gone to the same daycare as children or something.  ;D

Niecie... what else can I say: YOU ROCK!. Dave's a lucky man and so is all of Indiana Appleseed. Thanks for making me feel so welcome right from the moment I pulled up and you yelled "BOBA FETT !!!"

ATM...  >:D...  **)... ^-^...  ;D...  O0.  Did you get all of that? Can't wait to see you again my brother! Danville? It's like 40 miles from your house.

To you shooters this past weekend... I am so impressed with how you all improved and how you all stuck it out through the heat. It really means a lot to me and I'm sure to the rest of the instructors as well to see a group of Appleseeders take what we say and teach to heart. You all made what we do so worth it this past weekend. Thank you for getting up off the couch and joining us.

God Bless,
Boba Fett

stschil

My thesaurus doesn't have enough superlatives listed for me to describe my first Appleseed experience. 
  Suffice to say it was Absotively Posilutely Awesome!  O0

An excellent crew of instructors, a great range.  Indiana (and Illinois) showed it's pride last weekend.

ATM:   Expect Bacon for breakfast at every shoot I attend, brother.  Even after I eventually surpass that oh so elusive 210 I chased last weekend, I'll still cook!   ;)

Don:   Your dutch oven cobbler Rocked!!! 

Matt:   Are you sure you aren't a Hoosier?   HE HE HE  I am already looking forward to the Danville shoot.

YJH and Niecie:   Thanks for the popcicles,,,,they really hit the spot

DaveD:  Sir, your love of Liberty shows.  You are an excellent Shoot Boss and I look forward to being a part of your line again as soon as we can.

Hawkhavn:  Thanks for the tips.  I'm sure they will help me conserve some time during the transition courses of fire.

Congratulations to all the new Rifleman and one RifleWoman!  You deserve it
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

Stubborn Yankee

Incredible weekend!!  I was particularly impressed with the professionalism and enthusiasm of all the instructors.  Even though I grew up in the Boston area and had relatives in Concord and school field trips to the Freedom Trail including the Old North Church and Paul Revere's home and shop, history was never presented like it was at the Appleseed.  Even 40 some years ago most of those lessons had disappeared from the history books and I don't ever remember history being taught with the emotion and conviction that I witnessed at this event.  Great job!!  Like Auntie Bellum said, the history was amazing and the Rifleman patch was a bonus.  It was a proud moment to have my family at this event and see their progress.  Thanks to DHolder, ATM and Bubba for the use of your rifles and all the great pointers.  I thought I knew how to shoot but this Appleseed made the difference between a mediocre score and 210+.