News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Hinckley, MN June 26-27

Started by AFTERMATH, June 26, 2010, 01:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

Despite the fact that we don't have a super cool 600yard range, like La Crosse; I'm sure this Appleseed is gonna be great!
Besides, if we've only got 100 yards; that means we get to shoot 6 times as much. O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

AFTERMATH

All right Minnesotans(and Wisinoisians ;) )!
Tell 'em how it was.
I'll have my report in tomorrow.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

russellmn

Well, where to start... 

This was my first AS with my Orange Hat on, I "think" it went pretty well on my part, though the others may have different opinions on that...   ++)

Saturday morning started off as they all do, waiting for everyone to show up and get the safety brief started.   The weather on Saturday couldn't have been more perfect, not too warm, partly cloudy skies, maybe a touch more humid than some would like, but all in all a very nice day.  Sunday started off similar but in the afternoon the clouds seemed to mostly disappear and that sun started cooking us.  As I sit here at work I have to be careful how I move my neck so as to not aggravate my sunburn.  (Yes Alice, I know you told me to put on sunblock  :wb:  )

Saturday found us with 7 shooters on the line with (I think) 4 new Appleseeders.  We started off with a red coat, once we had convinced everyone that they had room for improvement  ;D we started in on the instuction. After BrassBucket and our intrepid Shoot Boss Aftermath did their usual fine job in demonstrating the shooting positions and proper use of the loop and hasty sling, we got in some ball and dummy where I found dstates has ZERO flinch!  We also carded the sights, and being that we had 5 instructors and 7 shooters, the instructors did the carding. 

After lunch Sven gave a fantastic First Strike, this was my first time meeting Sven and I must say, he is a great storyteller.  you can really feel the story rather than just hear it. 
Once the first strike was done, we went on to some AQTs.  Scores for the "veteran" Appleseeders were down a bit, they know they need to practice at home, we won't beat that into their heads anymore  today But as the day wore on the scores improved, letting this newbie instructor know he was at least doing SOMETHING right.   :D   

dstates was running that lever gun for all he was worth and near the end of the day was getting all his shots off in time on stage 2 and 3.  Red just needs to relax a little to put together 4 good stages on one AQT instead of 3 different ones and was hovering around 200 for most of the weekend.  Rachael started finding her NPOA faster and drastically improved her group sizes Sunday.  Chris was coming around quite well also, just fighting the tendency to muscle the rifle onto the target. 

Sunday we dropped 2 shooters from Saturday (Doug and Brent) and had Gabe join us to give us 6 shooters on the line, Gabe attended the first MN Appleseed in Winona Sept '08 and hadn't returned to us since.  But apparently he was practicing during that absence as he busted out a 217 early in the afternoon!!!!    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^   

At lunch we started the Dangerous Old Men stories with Sven regaling us with tales of Samuel Whittemore and Alex telling of my personal favorite D.O.M. Hezekiah Wyman.  Alice I apologize for not recalling the name of the woman your story told us of, but it's nearly 3am as I type this and my mind just doesn't seem to want to cooperate right now.   $$-0

By mid-afternoon shooters were starting to succumb to the sun/heat as we had little shade or airflow.  The scores started dropping off, group sizes grew, and shooters were having more and more trouble on stage 2 and 3 getting their shots off.  A couple had to just stop and take a break for an AQT or two, but they both came back to continue on shooting.  Just before our final Redcoat of the weekend, we had the 6 shooters pair off, load all the ammo they could in just a couple minutes, and then fire as much of that ammo as possible in 1 minute at a star target.  Gabe and Brad won that little competition with some excellent shooting, Gabe sitting and Brad standing while destroying that star!   :---   
With the final redcoat fired, we had 1 shooter clean the 400 but no headshots.  Again, it was hot, I think most of the shooters were pretty tired and burnt out at that point. 

I'm sure the others will have more/different things to tell us about, these were just a few of the things that stuck out in my mind.  I want to thank everyone for making my first shoot as an IIT a memorable one and I hope to see you many more times on the trail!
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

Mogget

Attention all you folks from Wisconsin who attended this event!  The state forum is here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=224.0

This where you go to learn your role in extending the Cheddar Curtain westward, past The Creek, and also where you can find out about more Appleseed events in Wisconsin.  I think there is a shoot coming to Balsam Lake in August...

Mogs

russellmn

Hey Mogget   !@#)  You stay on YOUR side of the line!!!     !@#)

**)
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

incendio

This was my first time using a sling correctly, i did try it at home the week prior, but was doing it wrong.

it took me all day to start getting my npoa, and my last redcoat was the most consistant, although off the red.thanks to both Russelmn and Brassbucket at the line and
   &) Sven at the targets giving us old guys on the left hell,  &)...good motivation. aftermath and javaguy were great also, its easy to tell everyone is passionate about this .

really enjoyed the history lesson, i have only read very basic outlines of the revolutionary war, and finding out how good a shot they really were is inspiring. 

i will definitely be back to get my rifleman and hear "the rest of story" as paul harvey would say.

dstates

Unfortunately I was only able to make it on Saturday.  I had heard of the 'bring what you got" openness of Appleseed so I brought my lever action 22 that is my first rifle I've ever had and that I bought only a couple months ago.  It was a lot of work w/ the lever and I felt rushed in the second and third stages of the AQT, but I was able to spit enough rounds out in time.  I was looking at getting a Marlin 795 before the AS and now I'm sure I want one...  I only shot two AQT's, but I was able to ring out a 159 on the second one.

All the instructors were great and I'm anxious to get back to another Appleseed in order to hear the history from Sunday. 

The only thing I would change about the day was it was slow starting.  I don't thing we did anything until about 9:15 and then we were there until 6:45, which was later than I planned.  In the end, I'm glad I stayed till the end in order to shoot the two AQT's and the redcoat at the end of the day to see my progress.

Thanks everyone and I'll see you at least at one more Appleseed this year.  Oh, and thanks for being patient with the tube loader at the right end of the line  :)

AFTERMATH

I'll start by saying it was an honor and a privilege to spend my weekend amongst such fine Americans.
We had a total of 8 dedicated shooters.  Persevering through multiple obstacles in an attempt to better themselves and, with any luck, their country.
If I ran a little hard and late it's because I'm selfish.  I rather enjoy the company of Patriots, along with the sights and sound of Liberty.  The hours I get to spend amongst such individuals are few and too far between.
I'm proud of each and everyone of you.  My only regret is that we could not have more, or do more.
As always, it was also a pleasure to work alongside my fellow instructors.  Whom are most dedicated to the cause of Liberty and the preservation of our posterity. 

Saturday's shooter line up presented:  Doug, Kirsten, Chris, Rachael, Greg, Brad, and Brent
All of whom were the most excellent students.  Despite the beautiful weather they exhibited steady improvement throughout the course of the day.
This I can only attribute to their persistence as well as the great instructor staff that was present.
Sven, our Red Hat, proved himself a master at history and a great Instructor as well.
BrassBucket, JavaGuy, and Russellmn; showed that learning and teaching at the same time is not only possible, but easy.
America owes you a great deal of gratitude.

Doug(dstates) and Brent(incendio), despite a busy weekend were able to make time for Appleseed on Saturday.  For that I am grateful.
They were, however, missed on Sunday.  But we will see you again on the Appleseed Trail!

On Sunday, the line up included a new but familiar face.  Gabe, who, as I recall was several shooters to the right of me at Minnesota's first Appleseed:  Winona, 'o8.  Gabe or 'justamarksman' proved that what we teach at Appleseed, if practiced correctly, will make you a Rifleman.
Having not attended an Appleseed in nearly two years; he easily hammered out a 217 on the 2nd or 3rd AQT of the day.  He now has his place amongst the ever growing list of Riflemen in Minnesota.  Perhaps, a forum name change would be justifiable now.

GRYPHON, joined his father, JavaGuy, and granted his presence to us on Sunday as well.  Working the line as an IIT, when he wasn't working over the QDAQT in his quest to make the grade with his AR-15.  The line shuttered at the first shot with a center-fire of the weekend.  Afterwards they quickly found their 'Bubble'.

Sunday's warm rain and fog, lifted to become hot haze and humidity.  Giving the shooters a hefty dose of perseverance, despite the inclement weather.  By 15:00 they were enthusiastically inquiring about the impending Winter-Seeds.

We had many a shooter, pounding on the door.  Some doors proved tougher than others.  However, sooner or later if you persist; just as the walls of Jericho came crashing down; so too shall those stubborn doors fall.  Leaving the bounty of victory and opening up the path for the conquest of the American spirit.

When all was said and done; all the shooters and half the instructors were beaten, bruised and fatigued.  To think, I didn't even pull out the the 'clown-bat. &)'  I do believe all learned some, though none learned all.  Just another reason for the whole of us to continue that long, but enjoyable, march down the Appleseed Trail.

The Trail is lit with the fire of Liberty and guided by the good hearts and minds of good men and great women.
Such is the way of the Rifleman, continuing to prove that Appleseed is; the contemporary manifestation of the quintessential American experience.

Untill alas we meet again,

Aftermath

P.S. Red, just shoot the &%#$ thing.

vmt193

AFTERMATH

Quote from: vmt193 on June 29, 2010, 12:13:23 AM
Was Red fussing again!

vmt

Just trying too hard.

By the way; someone left some real 100% bonafied authentic 100mph tape..... ::)
Thanks  O0  I didn't even have to convince a shooter to throw it in my box yesterday. @)

russellmn

I must've told Red to relax and just shoot 100 times this weekend!   :wb:   She'll get it, hopefully before she leaves us for greener pastures...

Aftermath, you were trying to steal that tape from me all weekend!  Like I'd believe someone just put it in your box for you   ++)
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

colycat

"The Trail is lit with the fire of Liberty and guided by the good hearts and minds of good men and great women.
Such is the way of the Rifleman, continuing to prove that Appleseed is; the contemporary manifestation of the quintessential American experience."

You said it all there Aftermath O0
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

AFTERMATH

Quote from: russellmn on June 29, 2010, 01:54:44 AM
I must've told Red to relax and just shoot 100 times this weekend!   :wb:   She'll get it, hopefully before she leaves us for greener pastures...

Aftermath, you were trying to steal that tape from me all weekend!  Like I'd believe someone just put it in your box for you   ++)

I found it on the ground this time...
Somewhere on the right side of the equipment line.  It was just layin' there, like manta from the heavens...
But if you want it back...  I suppose I can sell it to you.  ;D

Quote from: colycat on June 29, 2010, 09:39:41 AM
"The Trail is lit with the fire of Liberty and guided by the good hearts and minds of good men and great women.
Such is the way of the Rifleman, continuing to prove that Appleseed is; the contemporary manifestation of the quintessential American experience."

You said it all there Aftermath O0

Did I write that?  I don't even recall having a drink....

javaguy

My poor cell phone is almost ready for replacement.  Need to get one with a decent camera like Red's.

AFTERMATH

That camera works just fine...

I can view the pics without a scroll-bar. ;)
Plus, I look better behind smoke and mirrors. :cool2:

northstar

vmt, Aftermath, and russellmn ... at least you're all in good company? :-\  I think I've been blessed with possibly the coolest and most patient instructors ever, hands down.  :bow:  The shooting will click eventually.  It'll be just like when I re-learned algebra and suddenly it all made sense.

Also, here are the pictures from Hinckley, as some people still resist the lure of Facebook. Aftermath, these might require the use of a scroll bar... if anyone can tell me how to make them small I'll delete and re-upload. :)

--Red

northstar

Quote from: northstar on July 01, 2010, 12:28:21 AM

Also, here are the pictures from Hinckley, as some people still resist the lure of Facebook. Aftermath, these might require the use of a scroll bar... if anyone can tell me how to make them small I'll delete and re-upload. :)

Nevermind!  They worked! 

incendio

is there a appleseed facebook page??? :sos:

Mogget

Yes, there is a facebook page but you'll have to find somebody who's more into social networking than I to tell you where it is.

What I want to know is where are all the ticks?  Did we bring them all home with us in May?

Mogs

Sven

Mogs,

You must have taken them with you I didn't see a one.  But then I've discovered REI Jungle juice with 98.2% DEET!   O0

Sven
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

Johnnyappleseed

CONGRATULATIONS Gabe
As Iowa Mark said Wynona Sept08 --" A rifleman persists"
JA
BTW SS says Hi to all you good folks in Minnesota
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Sven

I was reviewing this thread and I realized that our Sunday only Rifleman did not have his picture prominantly displayed.  I hereby attempt to remedy that oversight.   Congratulations Gabe.  Don't be such a stranger, you can come to our events more than once every other year  :cool2:
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Sven on July 28, 2010, 07:44:04 PM
I was reviewing this thread and I realized that our Sunday only Rifleman did not have his picture prominantly displayed.  I hereby attempt to remedy that oversight.   Congratulations Gabe.  Don't be such a stranger, you can come to our events more than once every other year  :cool2:

That's right!

Thanks Sven!