News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chambersburg PA AAR April 17-18 2010

Started by Big H, April 19, 2010, 06:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big H

We had a glorious Appleseed Patriots' Day week-end! We had temperatures in low 50's, wind gusts up to 40 mph on Saturday, we needed to rebuild the target line several times; the sun came out on Sunday with winds down to 10 mph.
19 shooters, beginners to advanced, from PA and surrounding states, came to learn on Saturday, and 12 returned on Sunday to drink deeply from the Appleseed firehose of marksmanship and heritage, and to make new patriotic friends. Thanks to local host IIT Tatical308 for setting up the shoot and for terrific instruction and local history- you sure earned your promotion to IIT1! Also thanks to IIT1 Rundownfid for coming to help instruct on Sunday- great help and a riveting Dangerous Old Men story after lunch.
Our host range, the Chambersburg Rod & Gun Club, welcomed us with wonderful facilities, including a covered firing line and a dining hall for lunch.

Bernie helped fill the line with his Promotions work- there's a vacant Assistant Appleseed Pennsylvania State Coordinator job waiting for you!
Thanks to Donegal Township Rifleman reenactor John McAtee who gave a fascinating demonstration and fired a Brown Bess carbine, as well as Tatical308 who fired a Pennsylvania Long Rifle, after the Nationwide Volley For Liberty.
3 Rifleman patches were earned: Vic with a 220 score despite several malfunctions, Peter with 219, and Mike who shot 224 and took up the Orange Hat as a new IIT. Congratulations! 
On Sunday, we took 5 shooters to the 100 yard range, where they saw for themselves that the instruction at 27 yards also works at 100. Ethan, age 12, after 5 sighters, did not adjust his scope, and used Inches/Minutes/Kentucky Windage to put 5 rounds in the 4" V ring with a .22!  :bow: I'd like to see a photo of that target!

Thanks to all the shooters for bringing persistence and a teachable attitude- you make my job easy.  O0
Please post comments and photos.

tatical308

I wish to thank all the shooters that came to our only 2nd Appleseed. Our first only had 4 shooters and 2 of those were my wife and myself. From 4 to 19 and one observer is a great improvement. I will approach the BOD of the club and see if I can get another one for July and Sept. Here are a couple of pictures I took before my batteries went south in the camera. Big H did a fine job of keeping me on the straight and narrow path of getting my IIT1 and a really great job with instructing the new and old Appleseed shooters. The wind makes for an interesting target line but we didn't charge more for the moving targets. Congrats to the new Orange hat and the 3 riflemen. All went away with new history knowledge and an improvement in their shooting skills. We had one shooter who tried to shoot the COF with a lever action 30-30. His skills were good but the tube fed lever hampered him in the timed fire. He promised he would be back with another rifle next time. I was also surprised to see the 4 women on the line. I would like to make a suggestion that we also offer "RIFLEWOMAN" patches for when they make the magic 210. Looking forward to making IIT2 and eventually the red hat.
Greg
Tatical308
Aim small, miss small!

Big H

Donegal Township Rifleman John McAtee with his Brown Bess smoothbore carbine, Tatical308 with his Pennsylvania Rifle

.75 smoothbore in action

Rifleman Vic

Rifleman Peter

Young Patriot Ethan

Rifleman Mike

The 100-yard range

Machine Mac

What a great looking facility and a great turnout of folks getting off the couch. Congratulations to the new rifleman and thanks to Mike for stepping up. It sound to me like Ethan knows what he is about.

Ethan H

Here is my 100 yard target

Big H

Ethan, thanks for the photos!

The pasted holes in the 4-ring are from the sighters.

Folks, this is 4 MOA shooting at 100 yards with a .22!   O0
Next time, we'll go for 200 yards.  ;)

Rundownfid

Nice facilities and a good turn out at Chambersburg.  The need for events in Md and Va. is obvious as there were as many people form Md. as Pa. and even two from Va.  Thanks to Tactical 308 for the local history, I live within 1 &1/2 and still got a few surprises.  This would be a great site for a regular event if the BOD will allow it.

4570inMD

This 135-year anniversary was a great weekend of heritage reminders, marksmanship training, and demonstration of proper range safety procedures----thanks to 'Big H', Tactical308, and the volunteers.

#7 is for us to spread the word and I have already started with good results.  Chambersburg puts the fun back in shooting----keep up the good work.

Gordon
4570inMD
===================================

Major Spender

What a great weekend shoot...in spite of the weather, Big H , Tactical308 and helpers did a great job!  Considering I brought along 2 brand-new shooters, and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves, they are now talking to their friends and family about being on the line for the next shoot!  Keep up the good work all, and let me know other ways in which I can help.  Big H, I'll be looking for you at Manheim, I'm gonna get that 210 if it's the last thing I do...
Major Spender
a.k.a. Bernie

Big H

Thanks, and welcome to PA's newest IIT, Major Spender!  O0

Quote from: Major Spender on April 27, 2010, 03:55:28 PM
What a great weekend shoot...in spite of the weather, Big H , Tactical308 and helpers did a great job!  Considering I brought along 2 brand-new shooters, and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves, they are now talking to their friends and family about being on the line for the next shoot!  Keep up the good work all, and let me know other ways in which I can help.  Big H, I'll be looking for you at Manheim, I'm gonna get that 210 if it's the last thing I do...
Major Spender
a.k.a. Bernie