News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Saratoga Springs Sept 19-20

Started by B9, September 21, 2009, 09:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

tfelog (Ryan) and R1sgx2 (Mark) made this shoot what it was. From getting the range to host the shoot to hitting the street with hundreds of fliers, going to the gun shows, going to the tea parties etc. Your efforts are appreciated. The range supplied lunch for a donation and many thanks to Marks daughter for preparing it.

SaraSpa Rod and Gun Club is an awesome facility. http://www.sarasparodandgun.org/
If you live anywhere near this area I would urge you to become a member. Great bunch of people here.

The 50 yard range is getting some improvement and it worked very well for Appleseed. We were able to squeeze a few more spots on the line. See those angle temporary support posts? I did not once.

Saturdays Line Boss. A grumpy jimbtv from VT.

R1sgx2 goes over steady hold factors, while kDan demonstrates.

Not your everyday Appleseed rifle.

Appleseed is the perfect family event. We has several parent and child teams.

Young Casie and her Dad.

These Red Coats went up against a young man who is learning what he is about.

We had a guest speaker tell us a bit of history that is not in his school text books.

Saturdays Rifleman. 229 on the first AQT at his first Appleseed with an AR15. Great job George!

Sundays Rifleman Mark. He knew what a 210 will get you.

Congrats and thanks for stepping up! New Yorks newest IIT.

We we able to convince a Rifleman from CT to call the line for the last Red Coat. She has not taken the hat officially but she will.

I have many other pictures. if you remind me where you were on the line I probably have one of you.

Claudette, she's definitely a live wire. She kept me on my toes, and I'll wager she'll back for more.

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

george12827

An experience of a lifetime. Sincere and heartfelt thanks to the instructors: Ed, Nickle, Dan, Jim, Mark and last but not least, Ryan. The level of instruction was simply top notch professional. They handled complete rookies to grisly 'Nam vets shooting National Match rifles (god bless Charlie) with grace and knowledge. Everybody there felt like they were among friends.
I learned more in an hour then I have in 40 years of shooting.
The father/son, father/daughter, husband/wife teams were inspirational.
The Revolutionary War talks given by the various instructors were great and REALLY added to the experience (it is NOT all about pulling the trigger). The instructors knowledge level, from shooting technique, weapons knowledge and American history was outstanding. (When Nickle saw my "White Feather" hat as we were unloading the truck the first morning and started telling stories about Hathcock and the other top snipers in Vietnam off the top of his head, I knew we were in for a good ride.)
The complementary play between the instructors during the lectures was great (ie, an instructor would add something to what another was talking about). Good team approach.
Thanks to Mark and his daughter for the lunch.
Thanks to the SaraSpa Gun Club. A beautiful facility that we hope to join (if they let riffraff like us in).
Appleseed is here at the right time in American history.
God Bless you guys and hope to see you at the next one.
George and Yvonne Gramlich
Minerva, NY

kDan

Thanks, George. 

Great photos b9.  Did you get one of me and Nickle sitting on the bench?  I thought I saw you sneaking one.  If so, I'd like to see it.  You can post it here.

There was some special energy at this event.  I'm not sure exactly what it was, some kind of combination of just the right Instructor team and a perfect mix of 10 year old kids, young women, those with more life-experience all the way to "grizzled Vietnam Vets".  Instructor Jim posted on an internal board that this was the best mix of people he's every come across at an event, and I can just about agree with him.  It's always good, but sometimes the whole week-end is just one big smile. 

It was good to see b9 running things.  Always good to see my friend and mentor Nickle.  Ryan and Mark have a great thing going here.  Jim came over from Vermont, and I don't doubt he'll be running his own events this time next year...  if Vermont has room!  How many instructors we got in that tiny little sliver of a state - like 12?

One of the amazing things about this program is how we can have third-graders who've never held a rifle down the line from .308 lobbing veterans and nobody skips a beat.  The day moves forward and everybody learns.  Then we have hot dogs and hear a story.

I'd like to thank the young man with whom I worked Saturday.  His photo is up there.  I learned a lot from him.  If a young person can just get some trigger time and watch some holes appear in the paper, then the mystery of the tool can be dissolved and a great adventure begin. 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Nickle

As every NY Appleseed is, this one was great.

Much as I love my home state of VT, the energy in NY is just overflowing.

George, glad to see you make it onto the forum. So you know, George didn't let that hat done one bit. Carlos himself would be proud of what George did. First AQT he shot was a 229, and he followed up on that several more times. Who says a .22 LR is an advantage? George and Yvonne were using AR's, and kept the .22's for back up.

Lunch? Best I've had yet at an Appleseed, even beat Winchendon out, by a little (and that's tough to beat).

The shooters were definitely a mixed crowd, and EVERY one of them was great.

Saturday we had the 2 10 year olds, both of them hung tough all day. They learned a lot, they worked as hard as anybody. There's the future of this country, and I like what I see.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Another D.O.M.

This Appleseed shoot was one of the most inspiring events I've ever participated in.  Thanks to the instructors/historians and the host venue (and some gratitude to the Rain God for taking the weekend off) it was an incredible learning experience, one that I look forward to repeating in future Appleseed shoots.  The history of our heritage that was recounted is something you won't learn in the typical classroom, and that's a fact.

Had we been aware of the non-shooters-can-cook rule, my wife would likely have attended as well.  Ah, well - something to look forward to.  (She has indicated that when it's her turn for the firing line she'll be needing something a bit less potent than the SVT or the Hakim.  I'm working on it...)

My sincere thanks to all who attended - without all of you, this event (and all of the other Appleseeds) simply could not happen.  And because of the Appleseed Project, countless thousands of americans will learn how to be Americans!

I'd like to extend a very special Thank You! to the instructors for their patience and encouragement in spite of my limitations.  I now know I have a great many personal goals to set and meet before the next time I'm on the firing line.

To Mark, Ryan, and the rest of the SaraSpa club membership - thanks for the use of your facilities and thanks for lunch!  If any of you folks would like to put a few rounds through that Tokarev just say the word - I'm only a few miles down the Northway.

I'm looking forward to the next time we get together - this was really fun!
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Nickle

Folks, Another D.O.M. is living proof that a Rifleman persists. I have no doubt he'll get there (the score, he's already got the heart and mind, which are more important), and this guy put up with things that would make most folks give up and quit. I don't think he knows what quit means.

You might have limitations, but as I told you there, we'll work with you, and know you aren't the only one. Jim and I have our limitations, as do many others here.

You'll be welcome on any firing line where I'm at, for sure. It was my pleasure meeting you and talking to you.

They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

jimbtv

Here here, D.O.M. !!!  What Nickle said.

True Riflemen persist.

"...there are men among them who know what they are about...". 
   Lord Percy, who led the reinforcements, and the remainder of Smith's troops, in retreat from Lexington on April 19, 1775, referring to the militia forces.

Samuel Wittemore. You heard the story and if you don't remember, Google the name.

outoforder2day

This was, hands down, one of the most invigorating experiences that I've had shooting in a long time. Beyond that, it was truly inspirational. Thank you to all the folks that made this happen! Melissa and I both look forward to going to many more of these events in the future and hope to help out any way we can. I'll spread the word around the ZS forum and bring some more folks next time. ZS Thread on this shoot.

Some pictures. Click on them for much larger versions. I would have taken more, but you guys kept me busy!
The morning commute to Appleseed. We rose with the sun.

Teaching the group

Proper sitting position

Proper standing position

Battle scars

And the sun shown down...

It was great to meet you all. Till next time!
-Derek

B9

Nice pictures. Don't show that sitting one to my knee surgeon. ;) I couldn't do that two years ago and never thought I would have a reason to.

Just so everyone knows that is a non functioning demo rifle with a dowel as a barrel.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

jimbtv

OO2D and Melissa,

That was a very nice writeup on the ZS site. Thanks, and a good example of the seventh step.

Yup, the enthusiasm is contageous! I will personally look forward to seeing you at another Appleseed.

Suggestion: Go to the Appleseed store and buy 100 AQT's for, like, $30 dollars. Join a range, buy some ammo, and start practicing the 40 shot  AQT. To heck with the semi-autos. Use your tube feed and bolt actions and forget the time schedule. Remember that we did the stage-by-stage AQT's too. Folks are able to score Rifleman with both tube feed and bolt action rifles but it may take a bit more practice time.

Look into your packets and find the six step. Break them down and get good at each one. I mean it - get good at each one! Practice them individually and TAKE YOUR TIME!   Download the in-home, dry fire target and practice the six steps in between range dates. You will continually watch your scores rise when you get back to live fire. If they don't you are probably failing to master one of the six steps.

NPOA - need I say more. The six steps are a lot easier if you aren't fighting body postitioning and muscle strain. As B9 demonstrated with the laser pointer, NPOA will put the sights back on target time and time again. He wasn't faking it. They really do come right back on target if you get your NPOA down pat. After a short while you will hit your NPOA nearly on-spot when making transitions. When you get good at it it's hard NOT to land pretty close to on-target. It quickly becomes uncomfortable when you are not on your NPOA.

This stuff can be a lot of fun it's always great to hone new skills. Like you, I always thought I was a pretty good shooter until I was humbled by my first Appleseed. Like you, I rose to the challenge and practiced the methods that got me shooting in the 230's. And remember, I cannot get into the prone position due to back problems so I have to do the 300 and 400 yard rows in the seated position.  :o   A couple of young adults like the two of you ought to be able to show me up!   :D ;D

B9

Medea Benjamin

kDan

there it is...  me an nickle.  I'm gonna print that one up - my christmas card.  I'm not surprised it's out of focus cuz I saw you walk by and snap that james bond style.  me and the old man chillin', tired and spent.

excellent photos.  Dang lotta rugers on that line.  I hope you all got some centerfires in your safes.  for no good reason, i'm just sayin.

that picture means a lot to me.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Another D.O.M.

I will tell you, it was rather entertaining listening to the line from behind the scenes; and firing on the line was an experience everyone should have.

"Shooters.  Your two minute preparation period has ended.  With 40 rounds, LOAD."

"Is the line ready?"

"Ready on the right?"

"Ready on the Left?"

"All ready on the firing line!"

"FIRE!"

Crack, crack, crack, crack, BOOM!, crack crack crack WHOOM!, crack, BOOM, crack.

Well, you get the picture.  The center fire end of the line was impressive - starting with the 30-06 Garand on the far end running up through the .308 M14 and then some - it was like being buffeted by a squall every time one of 'em squeezed off a round.

Exhilarating!  I can still smell the spent powder...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

R1SGx2

Was a good time at Saraspa, Good people, lots of learning, a lot of well aimed shoots, History was excellant, good weather, a lot of smiles from young and old, think I may of heard a few grunts too. Was happy to see the 2 10 year olds on Saturday and the 9 year old Sunday shooting. Young Charlie, enjoyed the history on Saratoga. Special appearance by Blue got a lot of smiles. 
ShootBoss, Good Job.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Nickle

Quote from: kDan on September 22, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
me and the old man chillin', tired and spent.

that picture means a lot to me.

Easy, I'm not THAT old yet.

And, it means a lot to me as well.

northbridgewater

Ed, GREAT pic of Nickle and kDan!!! Keep up the good work!