News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2nd Virtual Muster night

Started by AZbinary, March 16, 2010, 09:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZbinary

"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

Sean K.

AZbinary

Our state board isn't very active, but I expect Redhawk, Ron, and Lysander will check in eventually.  Welcome!
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: AZbinary23 on March 16, 2010, 09:29:08 PM
Our state board isn't very active, but I expect Redhawk, Ron, and Lysander will check in eventually.  Welcome!

For shame, for shame!  Casting aspersions on our beautiful state of Arizona!  Tsk, tsk, tsk.   ~~:)

Yep, Redhawk here.

Sean K, you in Mesa?  Me, too.  Val Vista and the US-60.  Are you coming to Buckeye (3/27) or to Payson (4/17)?  Anyone shooting in the High Power match at Rio Salado this Saturday?  I missed the enrollment deadline since I took off for a week to WSMR, but I'm #1 on the "if someone doesn't show up" list.

We need to get Appleseeder presence in the High Power circuit here in AZ, try and "impress" our way into the schedules of Ben Avery and Rio Salado.  No other way to expo the skillset of Appleseeders and the quality of instruction and break into these ranges, otherwise.  We want their KD ranges a couple times a year!

AZbinary

lol..no disrespect intended...

I'm itching to get into the John Garand matches that they have out at the three points range... does that count as high power?  I've never shot in a match before, but I like the idea of spending some more time with my Garands.

I wish there were more shooters in the Tucson area, seems like everyone is in Phoenix.
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

OK, task #1 (aside from the "7th stepping" work involving breaking Appleseed into Ranges with nice KD ranges):

We have a (tentative, pending he passes his test ;)) Shoot Boss for April 17-18 down in Sierra Vista, and a whole passel of Orange Hats to coach and increase their instructor knowledge.  That shoot has 3 instructors, currently.

Meanwhile, up at Payson, we have me as Shoot Boss and no one else signed up as IIT.  Where ya at, Hoss?  HumVee?  AZRon?  Rumpshot?  ChrisKnox?

I "tentatively" have a brand-new IIT that will be coming up to the shoot and she is shooting about 180 on the AQT at this point, and very novice to shooting but a lightning-quick study and is learning the RIGHT way the first time.  Another 1-2 range sessions will make a Riflewoman out of her right-quick.

But, that still just makes for 2 instructors for Payson.  I need at LEAST 1 more, preferably two more.  And, Sierra Vista could benefit from another instructor or two.  If I learned anything from WSMR, it's that more instructors gives LOTS more 1:1 time with shooters.

So:  Sound off here if you think you can attend Payson or SV as an Instructor In Training, or otherwise contribute to manning the event (Even just help with clearing the line would be greatly appreciated).

Those of you who are newbies and aren't familiar with the IIT concept:  All us instructors started off as an instructor in training.  The requirements for becoming an instructor have evolved with the program, but basically you must be able to demonstrate the ability to shoot a Rifleman score on the AQT on demand, and pass a series of 4 performance check exams to become a "Red Hat."  You can start the IIT process before shooting Rifleman if you get the recommendation of an instructor, after having attended an Appleseed or two to get a feel for how the process works.

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: AZbinary23 on March 16, 2010, 10:25:51 PM

I wish there were more shooters in the Tucson area, seems like everyone is in Phoenix.

7th-step, my friend!  7th-step!

Get out there with your Garand and shoot in the CMP/JCG matches, wearing your olive green surplus shooting jacket with Rifleman patch on it, shooting a surplus rifle and surplus (well... ok, match  :cool2:) ammo!  Tell everyone you learned some great shooting techniques at a 'Seed.

Or, invite some of us Phoenicians down for some 3-points shooting.  I keep meaning to get down there and introduce the program to the Chief RSO down there.  Give me an excuse.  I've got a whole summer (May to September) with no scheduled Appleseeds.

AZbinary

We'll see how well my 7th step efforts have paid off in Sierra Vista next month.  Three points shoots the JCG matches every third weekend, so I'm thinking May would be nice...warm, but not blistering yet.
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

lysander6

Greetings all,

I will be conducting my second stint of SBIT training hopefully not turning the B into an H during the event.  Once that gauntlet is breached and the mighty AZG gives the subtle head nod, I will scurry back down to the southern end of our great state and get ready for the APR AS soiree.  If you are going to IIT, send me an email or PM and we can talk shop about the PCs and other sundry items.  I am counting on 3x IITs and a possible two add'l but that is unconfirmed.

AZRedhawk and I may be entertaining a special guest at the AS shoot(s) who will go unmentioned until we have confirmed.

I don't haunt this forum very much because I would rather communicate directly with the folks via email.

AZB, send me an email at your leisure.

Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on March 16, 2010, 10:18:02 PM
Quote from: AZbinary23 on March 16, 2010, 09:29:08 PM
Our state board isn't very active, but I expect Redhawk, Ron, and Lysander will check in eventually.  Welcome!

For shame, for shame!  Casting aspersions on our beautiful state of Arizona!  Tsk, tsk, tsk.   ~~:)

Yep, Redhawk here.

Sean K, you in Mesa?  Me, too.  Val Vista and the US-60.  Are you coming to Buckeye (3/27) or to Payson (4/17)?  Anyone shooting in the High Power match at Rio Salado this Saturday?  I missed the enrollment deadline since I took off for a week to WSMR, but I'm #1 on the "if someone doesn't show up" list.

We need to get Appleseeder presence in the High Power circuit here in AZ, try and "impress" our way into the schedules of Ben Avery and Rio Salado.  No other way to expo the skillset of Appleseeders and the quality of instruction and break into these ranges, otherwise.  We want their KD ranges a couple times a year!

Sorry I missed the muster. I made it last time but just lurked. My computer got a virus and it took me till Thursday to fix it.
Redhawk, did you make it to the match? I was there but I am terribal with faces and names (A.D.D.) :), I have only met you twice. I wore my appleseed shirt and figured if you were there maybe you would recognize me?
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

AZRedhawk44

I was there, RWVA Red Hat and green shooting jacket, down on lane 1.  Didn't see any Appleseed T-shirts.

Chased my zero on the 200/600 slow fire for all 20 shots.  Couldn't get settled to settle in... first I was right, then I was high, then I was low.  Grr.  Awful stage 4.  Mostly all in the black, just none in the center of the stinking thing.

Shooting Franken-AR with 1MOA standard service sights, and Fiocchi 62gr ball ammo.

Interesting revelation:  Even with a free-float tube, I shoot dramatically different when slung versus unsupported.  My sighter shots from prone were low, but my actual standing unsupported ones were 9's until I started getting tired.  Don't tell Fred, but I did manage to pull one wide to 3 o'clock and miss the 5 ring by about 2 inches for a 0 on that particular shot.  A twitch just ran through my body right when I squeezed.  Possum walked over my grave, or something.  Quite embarrassing.

Waiting to hear back from Myles for my score... Had to leave immediately after shooting to help the parents with something.  I'm spitballing a guess around 375-380 or so.  Stage 4 I shot a miserable 127, IIRC.

Things I'm gonna work on:
1.  Standing unsupported.
2.  Getting a dead-nuts-on 200y zero with some room for adjustment as needed.  I had no room for adjustment, since I went with a 25/300 BSZ and only had the two clicks down I could move from BSZ.
3.  Some nice, consistent handloads a bit better than the Fiocchi 62gr M855 equivalent I was shooting.  Not super expensive or too "meticulous," but a bit better than M855.  Yeah, Appleseed is all about 4MOA and service rifles and service ammo... but this is evidently more demanding since I can shoot a 225/250 AQT at will, but a 380/500 leaves a lot more room for improvement.
4.  Smaller front sight blade.  Mine's a monster.  That 6MOA aiming bull is 1/3 the size of my blade, maybe smaller.  I'll breathe and it's visible as long as white is under it (but it doesn't matter how much white, and I can't tell how much white).  Then, just as it kisses the sight, it disappears.  I don't know how much of it I'm into, just that it is gone.  Either that, or change my habit of COM sight picture to a 6 o'clock one with intent to always hit 7" above the top of the sight.  I've never been keen on that since I like the bullet going where the front sight actually is, rather than spitballing a guestimation.  But, since I can't see the target with my mammoth sight blade... I'm gonna have to either replace it or learn to shoot differently.  I consider that solution to be gaming my sights and I dislike the fact that I'm considering it... I'd rather continue with a COM hold and see if I can shrink the front sight and have that help.  Or see if blackening it helps.  Regardless, something's gotta give up front.

NEWGUY556

I was on lane 9. I couldn't see all the way down to 1, and my shooting position was in chaos so I really couldn't look around too much.  You wouldn't have seen my appleseed shirt until lunch. I think your team got 3rd place overall.
Stage 1-2 went well. The other 2 I really need to work on. Overall I wound up with a 397-5 I had set a goal for 400 and missed it. I cross fired on my last shot in prone slow. My Washington's B-day match score was 388-2 So I have improved.
I switched to 6:00 from COM and it has helped.  (I am with you, I have always held COM)The only time it will hurt you is if the size of the black changes. I have not seen them change that at a match yet.
The Highpower course is just different enough from the AQT to throw you off your game. Standing slow instead of rapid with no sling. (You did rest between shots right) Sitting and prone rapid are the same. Prone slow would be the same except you single load rounds causing you to get out of position.
Myles said he would email the scores.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZRedhawk44

397-5x?  With a crossfire to another target?

You whooped me.  Just got my score from Myles, it was a 367-1x.

OK, a 400 is coming from me on the next match.  Got my homework, got a month to get on it. :---

We'll see what 6 o'clock hold does along with some sight black and some above-average (but not over the top) handloads does.

NEWGUY556

RWVA, Rifleman