News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hernando County, 10-3/4-2009

Started by ItsanSKS, October 05, 2009, 10:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

WOW!  What more can I say-  A great event, with an above average turnout on Saturday.  We enjoyed beautiful Florida weather all weekend long, with highs in the low to mid 80's throughout the weekend.

Saturday morning saw 43 Americans (and 1 Brit!) arrive bright eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to be steeped in the Heritage of the American Rifleman. 

Our morning began with a retelling of the massacre at Lexington Green, ably told by our very own RickB.  Excellent job, Rick!

With all of our attendees briefed on the four safety rules, the definition and execution of "Safe Rifle",  common rifle malfunctions (and how to clear them) we started our day off with the "Hits Count!" target, AKA "The Red Coats".  We instructors knew we had our work cut out for us, with fewer than half of the shooters being 'effective' at 100 meters or beyond. 

After the sobering realization that the majority of shooters who thought they could shoot, couldn't, everyone gave the instruction their undivided attention.

Willorith and Brown Bess cracked open the spigot on the fire hydrant with an excellent demonstration of the Six Steps to firing the Shot.  After a lengthy Q&A session to clear up some misconceptions, we sent the shooters back to the line to practice what they'd just been taught.  4 MOA squares for everyone!  Instructors worked closely with the participants during the preparation period, ensuring that everyone had a solid grasp of what was expected. 

After examining the targets, shooters were introduced to the Steady Hold Factors of the Prone position, and instructed on the proper use of the USGI "Loop" sling, we were ready to try and tackle those pesky squares once again.

Still not seeming to get much better than a 'shotgun' pattern on paper, shooters were instructed on how to find and adjust their NPOA, proper use of the preparation periods, and 'talking targets'.  Now we're getting somewhere!   Hey, is that a group I see coalescing down yonder?! 

Once the shooters showed proficiency with the prone position, we moved on to the Seated/Kneeling positions- yes, they are just as uncomfortable as the prone position, until you get your body used to them.  Having worked out the kinks in our shooters seated positions, we decided that they deserved a break, and gave them a generous 20 minutes for lunch, graciously made available by the wonderful staff at Hernando Sportsmens Club- THANK YOU TAMMY!!!!

While everyone was relaxing in the shade provided by a covered firing line, PHenry told us the story of the events at the North Bridge in Concord, sparing none of the gory details.  A sobering moment, to be sure.  As we all stood with rapt attention, it was not hard to imagine standing beside Isaac Davis as he proclaimed "there is not a Man amongst us, afraid to go".  Undaunted by the thought of facing insurmountable odds, certain death or castigation, he faithfully led the charge against the regulars at the North Bridge, where he met his fate- a true Patriot through and through.

Our shooters returned to the firing line with a renewed sense of purpose, delving even deeper into the instruction.  After learning Inches, Minutes, Clicks, our shooters were given the opportunity to adjust their sights, a skill worth the price of admission alone.

A few more 4 MOA squares to diagnose shooter error, and then it was time for instruction on the Standing position, presented by RickB and WulfgarSmith2.  Yes, there really *is* an NPOA in standing... Its just hiding.

Once our shooters appeared to have a handle on the fundamentals of the standing position, they were regaled by yours truly with the finale of April 19th, 1775- the 'Runaway Fight of the British Regulars'.  Learning of General Heath, and his "Circle of Fire", the effectiveness of 'knots' of Riflemen, and the brutality of the house-to-house fighting in Menotomy.

Having time to reflect upon the sacrifices made by American Patriots and Riflemen some 234 years ago, our shooters were anxious to see how they 'measured up' to their ancestors.  Introduction to the AQT was presented by RickB, with an admonishment: "those who can't shoot, must COOK!"

A few practice stages on the "Green Coats" to familiarize attendees with the 'flow' of the AQT, and then it was time...

Our first attempt at discovering the Riflemen in our midst was for naught, with a high score of 206..  Knowing that there were shooters who had the spirit of the Rifleman within them, we gave them all a second chance, and to our astonishment, Peter of St. Petersburg, FL decided to let loose with an astounding 230/250!  Having little to no experience with a rifle prior to the event, Peter stands as a shining example of what can happen when you bring a teachable attitude to an Appleseed.  Well done, Pete! Wear that patch with pride!

Not to be forgotten, past AQT graduate John decided to reaffirm his Rifleman skills, scoring a 213/250.  You know we expect you and Julie to don the Orange hat sooner or later John- Appleseed needs you, more importantly, your country needs you!

With the sun slowly dipping into the horizon, attendees were given a second chance at the Red Coats from the A.M.   All attendees showed dramatic improvement, with 35% of them now 'effective' at 200 meters or greater. 

After spending a few moments ensuring the range was left cleaner than we had found it, attendees were released to their vehicles.

Sunday morning met our shooters with a renewed appreciation for the skill-set of the Rifleman;  many were rubbing sore muscles, and all were moving much slower than they had been just 24 hours previous. 

After asking the shooters for their consent, IIT3 Mike opened our Sunday morning with a heartfelt prayer, which was warmly received. 

Ensuring that no one had forgotten the four safety rules, Mike quickly got to work recapping the previous days' instruction.  Watching the attendees, one could almost see the light bulbs turning on...

A few of those dreaded squares to ensure a solid zero on our rifles, and then the AQT grind began..  Rifleman scores seemed out of reach for many throughout the morning, and we decided to take a short break for lunch, whereupon PHenry delivered the stories of the "Dangerous Old Men, and Brave Women". 

After a brief refresher on the Six Steps, it was decided to utilize the "Ball and Dummy" drill;  we knew our shooters had reached a plateau, and perhaps this was just the thing to get them over the hump... 

Having had 20 minutes or so to draw out, diagnose and cure the common firing line errors such as flinching, bucking, jerking and blinking, it was back to the grind.  Improved scores were immediately recorded;  6 new riflemen revealed themselves throughout the day, an astounding improvement.  Guess that ball and dummy thing really works!

Centerfire shooters who showed outstanding progress were given the opportunity to try their hand at the 200m range, with 6 takers- good thing, too; as there were only six target backers!  Shooters were impressed with their own abilities, many never having had the opportunity to shoot at distances greater than 50-75 yards.  Starting with their 25m zero, everyone was at least on paper, and some even had more than half in the black!  A brief recap of IMC, and shooters adjusted their sights- being sure to write down the changes necessary.  Good information for future use!

As the sun started to hide itself in awe of the skill being shown on the range, it was decided to wrap up the weekend with another go 'round at the Red Coats- while I don't have the numbers in front of me, (Willorith, you wrote 'em down- where are they!?) I distinctly remember more than a few 400m shooters, and one lady who knows well what she is about- Clinnon cleared the Red Coat target for the second time, impressing us all. 

After being admonished to participate in the saving of our great nation, shooters assisted in the break down of the target line, and helped clean up the range yet again.  You folks make this program what it is today, and I know I speak for all of the Florida Instructor Corps when I say Thank you for coming out this weekend; it was an honor to work with you all, and we look forward to seeing on the line soon!

Congratulations to the newly minted Riflemen in our ranks:
Kyle (220), start teaching your Natl. Guard buddies what you learned here
Paul (226), first time Appleseeder
Gary & Josie (216,219), Husband and wife, first time Appleseeders, WAY TO GO!
Gene (213), 7th Appleseed, finally made Rifleman with his M1 Garand.  You, sir, are the epitome of perseverance!
Julie (213) first rifleman score with Iron Sights.
John (221) you're just showing off, man... Don the orange hat and spread the heritage with us!
Peter (230) simply amazing.  Hats off to you!
Joe (219) proof that hard work pays off in the end, welcome to the Florida Instructor Corps!

Pictures:
Instructor Introduction, Saturday AM:
Left to Right: Mike, WulfgarSmith2,RickB, ItsanSKS, PHenry,Brown Bess, Willorith & Ray

Preparing to engage the 200m targets for the first time:

LOAD!

John putting his M1 through the paces at 200:

Talking Targets & IMC at 200m:

How many MOA is 9 inches at 200 yards? (anyone?!)

Your 1 Minute Preparation Period Begins NOW!

Proud Riflemen (and Woman!) From Left to Right:
Paul, Kyle, Julie, John, Gary & Gene (Not Pictured: Peter, Josie)

Ever wonder how you load two rounds for an M1 Garand?

Sharing helpful bits of advice- I've got an orange hat with your name on it, Doug:

(many thanks to Mark R. & BrownBess for the fantastic photos- you've a real knack with that camera!)

(Edited to correct Josie's Rifleman score- Congratulations!)
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

hawkhavn

That is one gorgeous range they have there.  I remember Julie and John from last year at their first Appleseed!  Glad to see they are still on the trail.  I'll second that Orange hat recommendation for both of 'em.  Even if I have to come back down from Indiana to put one on them.   ;D

Hawkhavn
Who's looking at frost warnings in 2 days....
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

ItsanSKS

Hawk-
I think we may have to bring you down here to shame John and Julie into taking up the Orange Hat;  Lord knows PHenry and myself have tried time and time again...

If you should feel Jack Frost nipping at your nose, know that you are always welcome at any of our events.. 

More pictures can be found on the club website: HernandoSportsmansClub.com

A special thanks to HSC Range Officer Mark Rials, who took the photos posted on the club website, and is our club sponsor.  We appreciate the time and effort you've put in, Mark- if you, or the club,  ever need anything, just say the word, and I'll rally forth the Florida Cadre. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

BrownBess

What a fantastic weekend, Weather and all the shooters persevering!!!!!  I feel all the instructors really got down with the shooters and it showed on the AQT's....Just wish I could have shot the 200 Meter range....BrownBess

BrownBess

A few more Images of 10.3/4.09 Hernando

gjwilliamsjr

Just wanted to let you know that Josie and I had a fantastic time and will definitely be back.  I am horrible with names, but all of the instructors were great--especially when they took time to help Josie with the positions and pointing out my repeated "wood dragging". O0   ItsanSKS challenged Josie once I scored rifleman, and the very next AQT she made it. :)  One minor correction to the first post--My score was 216, and Josie had 219 (I had to listen to that one all the way back to Orlando--3 flippin points--ugh >:( )  Where do I get those 1 inch squares--I'm gonna get those points-- ;D  Josie is talking about going to the next Hernando Appleseed in November, and taking our neice.  Unfortunately I won't be able to go then due to work, so I will be relegated to dry firing at home, and heading to the range when I can, but a Rifleman persists-- 8).  Thank you all again for everything, and we both look forward to Appleseeding again--HUZZAH!!!

willorith

You and Josie both surprised a lot of people when you scored Rifleman at your first event. It is quite unusual. I was deeply impressed and  pleased. I will be pleased also to welcome you back to future events. You will begin to feel the pressure to put on an orange hat and start to pass on those exceptional marksmanship skills. I am honored to count you as a fellow free citizen.
We are but human.

douglas34474

I would take that hat with pride. :) First I have to get the Rifleman's patch. O0

Don't understand how I'm shooting 4MOA at 200 yards with open sights on an M1, but can't make rifleman shooting with a scope on my 10-22 at 25 meters.  %)

Practice, practice, practice. I'll get it the next time.

Douglas

ItsanSKS

Doug-

I would suspect that the time monkey is firmly on your back; forcing you to hurry up your shots, without proper NPOA for each target.  Remember- firing 10 rounds on stage two doesn't matter if they don't hit the mark.  We will focus on your cadence and NPOA shifts in St. Augustine- we'll release that inner rifleman yet- I know you've got it in you. 

Gary-
My apologies, I have corrected the original post to reflect your actual scores. 
The 1" squares target is available on the Florida board, inside the post "Promotional Materials".
While you're printing out the squares target, why not take the extra minute or so and print out some of the other stuff in there, and pass the word on to your friends, neighbors, coworkers- heck, anyone who will listen...  We taught you the Six Steps, with the Seventh Step being to pass on the knowledge, Heritage, and Traditions learned.  Getting others to come to an Appleseed is also a great way to spread out some of the associated costs- you can carpool, split the cost of a hotel room, etc.

Doug is right, you know-  once you've attended two Appleseed events, and can consistently shoot Rifleman scores on the AQT, we'll start pestering you to help out.  As instructors, we don't get paid money, but the smiles, handshakes, and "thank you's" are all the pay *I* need.  Helping others set goals and persist through achieving them is a great source of personal satisfaction, and even a little bit of pride. 

panhead

Shoot Boss PHenry had to leave early, he was headed to Ft. Stewart as part of the RWVA squad that was requested for training. They had (are still having at this moment) the honor of providing marksmanship training to South Carolina National Guard troops before the troops are deployed to the Middle East.

This says a LOT about the quality and level of training you are receiving at the Appleseeds, folks O0

It speaks VOLUMES of the quality of the instructors in the program. All volunteers.

Thanks for stepping up and doing your best to assure even more will come home safe.

Call it the 7th step if you wish, this is patriotism, plain and simple

howdy

My apologies for taking so long to post, I am preparing to go back to school on Monday for the first time in 25+ years  :o

This was my second 'seed, my first was last October, the first Appleseed at Hernando. ItsanSKS was a shooter then, we had the only 2 Yugo's there on Sunday.

Having an idea of what to expect sure makes a difference, as does knowing where your weakest areas are. I am still battling the time monkey, we haven't reached a truce yet...

RickB gave a geat recount of the First Strike Saturday morning, and we rolled from there.

All attendees around me were very supportive of each other and were enjoying the event as time allowed  ;)

The ROTC contingent made their presence known early. I think they had a couple of Moisin Nagants down there and kept us awake for most of the day. Heck of a way to polish up your marksmanship  O0

The instructors were very helpful and shooters were good on muzzle awareness during transitions. We all left both days with the same number of holes we came with.

I was next to a couple who have been to several 'seeds and have at least 5 patches each. I think Julie is making a quilt  ::) ::) They use different rifles or sights, etc. each time to keep it interesting. That would be John and Julie. On the other side were Sandy and Tim, John's parents. Accomplished shooters also, and attending their first 'seed.   

Saturday I shot a personal best of 197. I was ecstatic!!! (You would have had to see me shoot last year.) I figured I only neded to get about 10% better to get a patch. That is easier than it sounds.

Red Hat Mike started us off Sunday with a voluntary benediction which was appreciated by all, I think. Thanks Mike!

I didn't feel I was shooting well. I wasn't scoring all my targets cause I had some mag change and time monkey problems and started to get rattled. I was discouraged and was ready to leave. I would try again another day  &)

They ended the day with yet another 7th step and asked if anyone wanted to stay for one more AQT. Many people packed up and left. I was debating it myself. There were probably about 15 left, I guess.

John and Julie wanted to stay for one more. I didn't want to be a quitter (peer pressure), so I prepped and slung up. Shot my shoot and was ready to go, it didn't look too bad to me. An instructor looked at my target and asked to score it. That gave him something to do while I packed up my gear.

"Josie" and I both got Rifleman on the last AQT of the day. Her hubby got a patch earlier, so they have 2 Riflemen in the family!

A Rifleman and Riflewoman persisted. In my case, John and Julie kept me going. In Gary's case, well, I bet it seemed like it took longer to drive home... **)

Many thanks to all for a weekend and accomplishment I will remember forever.

A sincere THANK YOU to the instructors for your guidance and words of encouragement. You guys are what it is all about.
But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

PHenry

To thems not already aware - the preceding is ItsanSKS' first Oooficial AAR as SBIT (shoot boss in training). He's so good - not likely anyone noticed he was in training and this AAR is just as polished as his work on the line.

His competence afforded me the luxury of arriving at Ft. Stewart at a reasonable hour and caravaning in with the other instructors. He clearly ran the remainder of the event with aplumb.

Owing to the excellent work of ItsanSKS, RickB, Willorith, BrownBess, and Buckshot, I was afforded the additional luxury of arriving midday on Saturday at the new St. Augustine venue, immediately following the Ft. Stewart training. Things were running so smoothly there that I just sat back and observed most of the weekend - my normally loud voice muted by 7 days of hollerin' on the line in a row.

As ItsanSKS is clearly no longer in need of any sb training, I have recommended that he be recognized as a Shoot Boss, capable of running events on his own.

This is good news and bad news. Good news for the program - bad news for he and I. He will now have even less spare time to call his own and I will no longer be able to count on his covering my hind end at events.  8)

Another great event at Hernando, surrounded by better than average Americans - don't tell Fred, but I'd pay to be there.

PH

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata