News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ADAPTIVE AQT Techniques

Started by rambo granny, May 08, 2022, 04:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustKim

Key words
Mobility
Pain
Question

I think the most common issues I see are back, neck and knees.  Back/Neck make prone position difficult.  I have seen some very interesting prone positions.  Also with all of the above -- getting up and down is a significant issue.  Any suggestions there? Jy if C
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

BBQ_Bandit

Key words
IAO
Adaptive positions

That is a good question.

First proririty is safety.  I place a dummy/practice rifle into that equation and check for any concerns first.

Getting to the prone position is the next question... without transition... to be determined if possible later.

If prone is not possible... I do have a transportable steel shooting bench/table in the trunk of my car.

Disclosure: The NRA has adapted positions for chair-based shooters... see below
Prone: laying both elbows onto a support table
Kneeling: having one (support) elbow resting on table only.
Standing:without any table support

Your mileage may vary...  :~ :~ :~
First Appleseed/Cleaned Redcoat 6/13-14/2020
Second Appleseed 7/3-4/2020 (208/250)
Third Appleseed 8/15-16/2020
Blue Hat, Orange Hat, and 222/250

Appleseed Pistol Clinic 
[233/250] Slippery Rock,  PA 5/22-23/2021
[227/250] Annapolis, MD 7/16-17/2022
[233/250] Thurmont, MD 5/20-21/2023

TheMenace

Key words
Aids to mobility

A step stool or other sturdy device placed next to the shooters position will allow one hand to be used as a steadying support getting or down. Very helpful to old guys like me. Safe muzzle direction must be observed!
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

JustKim

Key words
Aids to mobility
Transitions
Question

We had one guy with a short cane-type "stick" he used.  Worked really well for him.  He actually scored and took an orange hat, but has run into some major health issues.  He wants to get involved, but not sure he'll be able to. 

I have also seen some people use step stools.  This works well too --

Any suggestions for those folks who can get up and down, but their knees don't bend too well in the sitting positions -- I have seen some very interesting positions.  I usually just tell them to find something that works for them and to try to get at least one elbow on something -- ideally both elbows, but often times, they are lucky to get one.  This can also be an issue for larger people who are not able to bend over far enough to get their elbows supported.  I guess just finding the most stable position -- maybe us more of the standing position steady hold factors at that point??? 
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

rambo granny

Key words
IAO
Cross eye dominance
Stock building
Sight alignment
Knee mobility
Safe
ty
Pain

Kim brought up a great point. We do see quite a few student challenges with neck, back, and knees. Add cross eye dominance challenges and 3 out of 4 challenges can be at least helped by building up the stock!
Back and neck problems can be triggered by the physical stress caused when hovering over the stock rather than resting the head on the stock. Straining to keep sight alignment is undue stress. A good stock build up for many is actually pain relief
In dividing the 6 steps  into 3-3 & giving time to working with students early,  building stocks as needed…some problems may be avoided.ðŸ'

Knees that "are stiff" can be problematic. Being stiff as a result of surgery such as "knee replacement" or "total knee" is one that shouldn't be pushed too far particularly under load when getting down. Bending, once into position, may simply not be possible & painful. When you can tell the student is hurting, as instructors, we of course do NOT give any medical advice, but we can always suggest an alternative move or position that "may be less uncomfortable"
It would take a post on its own to define the "stiff knee" or "pushing too far"

Dennis, I can relate to aids to mobility such as your stool. If one is using a chair to shoot stage 2, you're halfway to the ground to go prone.😉
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

rambo granny

Key words
IAO
Standard cross ankle position

After Kim brought up several great points for discussion, I've been thinking about larger people in seated positions with challenges bending over to get elbows in a workable position. What are some options and how to communicate this?

9mm4545 is a larger person and he makes a very sweet Guinea pig for an experiment.😆 He uses the crossed ankle position with an adaption. It obviously works for him.
First attached picture is his adapted position. Note the elbows.
Second attached picture is different view of same position to see elbows more clearly.
Third attached picture is the experiment. How did he do this?

1.) By pulling his crossed feet slightly closer to body, it does allow more room between the knees for girth
2) By bending from the hips rather than the back, he was able to get the elbow further forward. If the person is flexible enough, this can work, but it could also require much dry practice over time.

If someone has balance issues as well as challenges noted above, the open leg chair position may be an option. Check out this link for a field guide of the open leg chair.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7fr7l588wz8qeb/Adapted%20Open%20Leg%20Chair%20Position3.pdf?dl=0
Just make sure chair is sturdy and not just put together with thin plastic parts that could separate.
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

300berg

Key words
Adaptive shooting Organizations

Quote from: 300berg on July 25, 2022, 09:40:49 AM
These are really great posts, and I am excited to see all this information being gathered in one place.

On my end, I sent an email to someone at our Adaptive Sports program (sent 2 days ago).  I
used 3 of the "action" shots from you and BBQ_Bandit.

I'll post an update when I hear more, but I'm angling for "Let's get a cup of coffee and talk." and
build on that.

Met with the director and some staff of Adaptive Sports Partners North Country in Franconia, NH this morning.

Very positive meeting and interest in our program all around.

They are going to reach out to adaptive athletes and promote our October 15th shoot. 

Assuming it goes well, the discussion went to planning a larger and more coordinated effort for the coming year.

JustKim

ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

I LOVE this stuff!

rambo granny

Yes, you're right Kim. 300berg really made my day with that news too.
Learning marksmanship skills is gratifying, but it's a whole new exponential level for an adaptive to pull it off. Great antidote for vulnerability felt due to adaptive conditions.
I look forward to hearing the development of this story and helping as needed.
Setting up an event for such a group will be both challenging and very rewarding.
300berg also is working on a  visually spiffy idea for the adaptive board research guide….more appealing than the mere individual post links alone I was considering. Stay tuned… gonna require time and work!

PopPopNavyGuy

Key words
IAO
Transitions
Mobility
Pain

Janet,
Thank you for demonstrating this technique for me this weekend. I look forward to practicing, and practicing, and practicing and then going to the range and practicing some more.
Eventually I will get the patch and more importantly, I will hope to get an orange and then a red hat to carry on this important tradition.
HUZZAH!!
:F :snipersmi
"If fear is cultivated it will become stronger, if faith is cultivated it will achieve mastery."
Adm. John Paul Jones

rambo granny

PopPopNavyGuy,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and GOALS!  O0
Watching you this weekend was awe inspiring for me. Your determination to push through present adversity to make progress and adapt through the limitations is obviously a well honed skill learned through much previous adversity.
Feel free to post here when questions or "pot holes" in your road to Rifleman appear.
Additionally the private messaging system is available on the forum by addressing to the forum screen names: for example…me(Rambo granny), Bruce(9mm4545)
Here's a pic attached for you

rambo granny

Key words
IAO
Open leg chair position
Limited Neck & back mobility
Pain

Attached pictures show a variation on an adaptive theme and the results. This delightful and very determined lady was an honor to assist. Although she stated her main goal in attending Appleseed was the history  ^:)^, this student hung in there and had some joy in shooting after all.
Using a loaner rifle with built up stock helped but the actual turkey neck itself produced real neck & back pain which clearly transcended mere discomfort. We were able to slip off the line where a dummy rifle helped reveal a personalized adaptive solution. In the picture, you'll see basically a standing position in the chair. Placing the support forearm firmly on the chest wall and adding a chicken wing for stability, she could now hit the target without excessive pain. Very cool for a beginning shooter with adaptive challenges.
The target picture is her first try after returning to the active line.
An AQT was not the goal this day, but scoring a personal victory plus hearing history….priceless

rambo granny

Key words
IAO
Trigger finger traumatic injury (previous)
Rifle hand position & Dragging wood

This IAO is the first time we've built this one!
One of our students at the very busy Homestead shoot had a previous significant traumatic injury to his trigger finger. It was "cut to the bone" in an accident and couldn't work smoothly nor sense the finer points of smooth trigger operation. He began using his middle finger instead of the index finger trying to work around it. To solve the serious wood dragging with generally shorter fingers, the hand position was modified. Rather than wrapping the thumb around the stock, we moved the thumb around to the side of the stock creating more air space for a C-shape trigger. With the standard "pulling the stock firmly into the shoulder pocket", it seemed to work. (Obviously relaxing the support fingers will be another challenge.)
As the middle finger doesn't generally perform same range of motions as index finger, this will need dry practice. Gee whiz! He can dry practice with that adapted trigger finger using the "trigger training device (click pen)" anytime he's waiting in line or at a boring meeting. ðŸ˜,

rambo granny

Key words
IAO
AQT
Open leg chair position
Pain

At the Leesburg shoot just completed, we were honored to have 2 delightful senior gentlemen from a very populous, nearby retired community attend. Due to previous surgeries/trauma and likely significant arthritis and stiffness that Father Time brings, seated positions were most difficult & painful for both gentlemen.
Not being able to relax not only makes NPOA elusive, but it brings on muscle fatigue and pain. All of us hate to admit these things, but shooting suffers until adaptive alternatives are employed.
In this case, the open leg chair position referenced many times on this thread brought relief and results. Attached are pictures of both students first attempts at stage 2 of the AQT using the adaptive position. Smiles replaced grimaces. 😁. One gentleman shot rifleman with  the adaptive position and the other showed much promise. I suspect he will also claim his patch at another Appleseed.

Pirategirl

Key words
Adaptive

Excellent work Granny!  I loved seeing you work with the shooters first hand on the adaptive side of things.  So inspiring!
What doesn't kill you makes cool scars, and scars are tattoos with better stories.

300berg

Key words
Open leg chair position guide

That's great, Rambo Granny!

Your Guide for Open Leg Chair Position is great.  I'm printing it out for my kit.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7fr7l588wz8qeb/Adapted%20Open%20Leg%20Chair%20Position3.pdf?dl=0

rambo granny

Key Words:
IAO
Open leg chair position
Shifting
NPOA
Safety

300berg
Thanks for sharing the link to the "Guide on Open-legged Chair Position" for anyone reading your post just above this one.

Now having seen some different chairs brought to the range just for sitting but then pressed into service as a shooting base, some observations….

*There are both rigid stackable chairs and folding chairs with the seat bottom slightly lower in back than front. That is desirable for use with the open leg chair shooting position, but there are exceptions of course with some adaptive shooters.
*Sitting too far forward on the seat is "tippy" in some chairs. Watch that students don't sit too far forward. To perform NPOA shifts while seated in the chair, only a couple  inches (or less) clearance between knee bend and leading edge edge of seat bottom is needed if the chair is indexed to the target properly.
*Just as in the position done on the ground, not everyone is flexible enough to get elbows over knees. Use IAO to find most stable alternative the shooter can perform.
Check out both the short description and picture on the post link below as one adaption example of a shooter unable to get elbows anywhere near the knees.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=62914.msg405974#msg405974

LadyRimfire

Quote from: rambo granny on August 25, 2022, 07:42:29 PM
After Kim brought up several great points for discussion, I've been thinking about larger people in seated positions with challenges bending over to get elbows in a workable position. What are some options and how to communicate this?

9mm4545 is a larger person and he makes a very sweet Guinea pig for an experiment.😆 He uses the crossed ankle position with an adaption. It obviously works for him.
First attached picture is his adapted position. Note the elbows.
Second attached picture is different view of same position to see elbows more clearly.
Third attached picture is the experiment. How did he do this?

1.) By pulling his crossed feet slightly closer to body, it does allow more room between the knees for girth
2) By bending from the hips rather than the back, he was able to get the elbow further forward. If the person is flexible enough, this can work, but it could also require much dry practice over time.

If someone has balance issues as well as challenges noted above, the open leg chair position may be an option. Check out this link for a field guide of the open leg chair.

Just make sure chair is sturdy and not just put together with thin plastic parts that could separate.

Great lost! Very helpful. Thank you for sharing.
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

malabar

Key words
Adaptive shooting organizations

Quote from: 300berg on August 29, 2022, 03:19:13 PM
Quote from: 300berg on July 25, 2022, 09:40:49 AM
These are really great posts, and I am excited to see all this information being gathered in one place.

On my end, I sent an email to someone at our Adaptive Sports program (sent 2 days ago).  I
used 3 of the "action" shots from you and BBQ_Bandit.

I'll post an update when I hear more, but I'm angling for "Let's get a cup of coffee and talk." and
build on that.

EXCELLENT!

tk

Met with the director and some staff of Adaptive Sports Partners North Country in Franconia, NH this morning.

Very positive meeting and interest in our program all around.

They are going to reach out to adaptive athletes and promote our October 15th shoot. 

Assuming it goes well, the discussion went to planning a larger and more coordinated effort for the coming year.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

rambo granny

Key Words:
IAO
Open Leg Chair Position
Shooting Chair Attributes & Examples

The Shooting "Throne" 😁

I received an instructor request in regards to acquiring a chair for adaptives he plans to assist. Seems sharing that compiled info of possible chairs for use with the "open leg chair position" might be helpful to someone else. Here goes:

What works?

*Safety first!
Necessary:
*Sturdy construction. No thin breakable parts.
*Not tippy. A base larger than seat resists tipping over.
* sturdy arms to support body weight while getting down or up.
*seat wide enough to spread knees approximately shoulder width apart and also allow room for shifting NPOA.
Nice optional extras:
*Solid bottom is more stable than soft fabric.
*Back of seat bottom slightly lower than front edge. (Assists bending forward from hips to place elbows on target side of knees if possible)
*Large cup holder can hold magazines, markers, etc.
* My personal chair has back pack style straps allowing a person with a cane to carry the chair
Cool Add On:
Use Velcro straps or wire ties to attach a basket that can hold multiple prepped magazines.
Picture #1
Basket could hold mags, bullets, empty box for counted rounds to go in mags (no mistakes!), shooting glasses, marker
Picture#2
â€"â€"â€"
Sometimes you might be lucky and find a chair just hanging around the range like this
Picture#3
Be sure to check it is in good condition. The one in the picture would be better with wider base, but it was available, sturdy, just ugly. 😉

As of this writing here are 2 chairs that could work and are actually on sale.
Stackable chair from Home Depot is $20 on sale.
Picture#4

https://www.homedepot.com/p/StyleWell-Mix-and-Match-Stackable-Brown-Steel-Sling-Outdoor-Patio-Dining-Chair-in-Denim-FCS00015J-Lblue/309390365

Foldable chair available from West Marine is $74.99 on sale. They will also ship. If you are a West Marine customer, perhaps you have many points accumulated to apply to cost.
Picture#5

https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-comfort-plus-crew-deck-chair-19606078.html

Reference Guide to Open Leg Chair Position in my Dropbox (free to look & download)

rambo granny

Monster size pool noodle to the rescue!
Never pre-judge  what an adaptive will be able to do when he sets his sights on what looks to be an impossible goal but puts in the work to make it happen.
With neck and back problems plus significant mobility challenges, prone or seated positions just didn't work for Tim.
While the shooting chair was obviously the safest choice, the open leg chair position written about many times in this thread needed several new creative IAOs for this student. Check out the picture to see how a custom carved monster size noodle solved the problems on both sides. Covering support side chair arm was ONLY way to get enough width for elbow eliminating  the pointy part (diagonal target component).  Going from shotgun patterns to a rifleman score of 222 during the weekend…..amazing.
Tim did say that Appleseed was much harder than any of the qualifications he had to do as a career law enforcement officer!

Instructor info re this post here:
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=63881.msg414108#msg414108

TheMenace

We had one adaptive shooter at the  Palm Bay event March 9-10. I didn't know he is adaptive until he showed up. We were on a new range without the big wooden benches the adaptives usually use here. David used a folding chair I had brought to sit on. He added the bag under his trigger elbow to make the triangle for support on Sunday. I didn't have my West Marine chair with me. He started Saturday with 111 and followed it up Sunday with 144, 120, 170, and 147. He shot stages 2, 3, and 4 from the chair. He did shoot standing conventionally. I should add he was shooting a 10-22 with Tech Sights. Over all a pretty good result for adapting an adaptive position.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

rambo granny

Thanks for sharing! An adaption of an adaption! Gives others finding themselves in same situation additional ideas for improvising. On equipment, the Main points are watching that the chair is not tippy, is sturdy, and the student has chair arms if needed to get up & down. Love the ingenuity on your part and soooo glad the shooter was able to progress.

rambo granny

Key Words:
IAO
Open leg chair position

Had the pleasure of working with a terrific senior with long standing back problems who could not do seated or prone positions. Of course the open leg chair was obvious choice. A nice tall stock buildup plus the chair eliminated pain as a deterrent to marksmanship teaching.  Carding the sights worked great with instructor on a quick to deploy tall stool allowing great visualization of student. Using a rifleman patch for a "card" and a not so subtle suggestion 🤣 keeps the goal up front. Breaking the dragging wood habit is another story.The student made great progress over the weekend and he left with a big smile. Of course his son making rifleman and taking an orange hat added to that big smile. A great honor to work with this family!
Here's a link to pics on my Dropbox (free) if any challenges viewing same pics below
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a5l4yhqc0zde9o3loxdu0/Photo-Mar-17-2024-11-21-18-AM.jpg?rlkey=4yeqmqbc425hbq5b7wpl2g5oa&dl=0