News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR-- Sallisaw Oklahoma, Sept. 26-27

Started by Longshot, September 29, 2009, 12:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshot

Sallisaw, Ok. Appleseed, Sept. 26-27

Shoot Boss; Longshot

Total shooters; 16

Personnel: Instructors, PJ Evans                  IIT's, Henschman, A-Bomb, Matt, Rickman

After a 6-hour drive that started with a breakdown 30 miles from home (fanbelt, just a 1-hour annoyance), I arrived at the range to find...........nothing. No one.  A 15 minute wait found the landowner skidding into the driveway sideways in a tube-rail dune buggy, fresh from a foray up the moutainside. Seems my life wasn't complete without taking a ride, sooo...

7:30 am Sat. Rickman arrived to help out, setting up target backers and squaring the range away. PJEvans arrived unexpectedly, but welcome, as two other instuctors were unable to make it. The shooter were all on range by 9:00 and the first Redcoat was posted. A varied group of shooters, from complete newbies to "repeat offenders".

The weather was GLORIOUS, the shooters eager. As we were tallying the redcoat results, 3 IIT's arrived from the Oklahoma corp.  They were welcom help, and a great bunch to work with. No surprise, they had previously trained with DAD up in Kansas. Things moved a little slowly in the morning, but the group was really paying attention, and practicing what was taught.
After lunch came First Strike, then we kicked things up a few notches. By 5:00 we had completed two QDAQT's and had one new Rifleman. Second strike and Final Redcoat completed Saturday, and it was off for some much-needed rest.

Sunday morning found us losing 3 shooters, and gaining 3. Redcoats, star, squares, "greencoats" were all used for Sunday "tune-up", then the hammers began to hit the "anvil of the AQT."  By day's end we had 3 more Riflemen.
Third Strike at noon, and Seventh Step as a mid-afternoon break completed history. Mother Nature had turned up the thermostat a bit on Sunday, so shade was the order of the day for comfortable listening. Henschman did a superb job.

Heat and fatigue took their toll, and we called it a day at 4:00. Range cleanup and teardown, then the run for the barn.

Kudos to the shooters and instructors, there were ZERO safety issues.

Longshot
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

K98Al

Ditto for all Longshot said. I was only there for Sunday, but it was a great shoot with an excellent ratio of shooters to instructors. Great to see Henschman instructing, and several more familiar faces. Thank you, Dan, Longshot, PJ and the rest!
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

henschman

It really was a good shoot.  The students took to the instruction well -- 4 new riflemen, including 1 riflewoman, who apparently outshot her husband and ended up with a 210, after a very suspenseful scoring!  Good job on everybody's part, especially KR, who I think everybody will agree did a great job running the shoot. 

I told some shooters that I would post the link to the cheap m1 slings and the downloadable targets on here, so here they are:

downloadable target thread:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9833.0

m1 slings:  http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=984970&chrSuperSKU=&MC=
and here are the extra sling clips so you can have one on each end like some of us do:  http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=537280&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

here is where you can get the green shooting jackets:  http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819