News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

WV Needs Promotions Coordinator ASAP!

Started by The Machine, September 26, 2009, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Machine

WV is in critical need of a statewide Promotions Coordinator. There are 3 vital components to making the program grow in WV: event locations; instructors; promotions. We finally have a core group of instructors in place, but the low turnouts at Stinson are a direct result of deficient promotional efforts. I've been offered an abundance of location choices, but if we don't have an energetic, motivated, LBOTG promo campaign to fill the firing line at these events, it'll be all for naught. Here's the dismal registration stats for our 3 remaining shoots: Oct (2); Nov (0); Dec (0).  >:(

The current form of promo work is being done in a haphazard, disjointed manner.  :-\
I'm getting tired of hearing "I never heard about Appleseed...or..."I didn't know we have Appleseed shoots in WV" from West Virginians that I talk to. I would much rather hear "yeah, I've heard about those Appleseed shoots and I'll try to make it to one". That at least tells me two things: 1. We are effectively getting the word out 2. The person making that statement is currently a worthless pile of meat--modern American--that we can possibly still redeem.  ;)

Some folks are getting the word out in their areas, while others are passively deferring that responsibility to others. I want to make it very clear...every one of us should be a walking, talking billboard for Appleseed. I assume you all took an interest, and decided to participate in Appleseed, because you've seen this program as a cure for our diseased nation. We take personal responsibility and accountability to the highest level here in Appleseed--no room for slackers. If you don't make it happen, most likely it isn't going to get done!

I'm proud and thankful for the handful of folks who have stepped-up recently; who are dedicated to our WV program. We need about 100 more. Next year, there will be 4 additional locations where we will be hosting AS events, bringing the state total to 5. That translates to approximately 30-50 shoots in 2010! Who is going to staff and promote these events? Fred isn't...funfaler isn't...neither is Nickle...it is up to us!

We already have a good assortment of written and electronic promotional aids at our disposal. I'm looking for one person who feels they have the capability and fortitude to work out a promo plan for WV, and see that it gets implemented. I'm open to all suggestions from this Promotional Coordinator prospect.

THIS IS A "MISSION CRITICAL" NEED, SO PLEASE DON"T BLOW IT OFF!!
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

The Machine

It's been over 2 months since this was originally posted, yet only 5 people have viewed it. What's up with that? Has the word "promotions" taken on the same connotation as that other evil word--"work"--which has been known to make people flee for cover?  :o

I can't figure how the good folks who have obviously seen some value in 'Project Appleseed', and even volunteered at some level, would want to keep our WV AS program a mystery. We're doing nothing less than trying to save our nation, restoring principles and traditions that many of our fellow Americans and Mountaineers have never been exposed to. Most of those around us don't truly understand what the title "American" means; for lack of the knowledge that we posses. Can we help these people out...by doing a better job of getting the word out?

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

The Machine

This important thread is getting moldy once again, therefore it warrants another bump. As we bring more locations online in 2010, the urgency for someone to fill this critical position is at a heightened level.  :sos:

This would be a perfect position for someone who is unable, or lacks the desire, to join the instructor ranks. As vital as our Instructor Corps is to the growth of our WV AS program, a recruiting base for future instructors and other volunteers needs to be maintained.

And what is this "recruiting base"? Students who attend our events, of course. Aside from the core foundation (heritage and rifle marksmanship) of Project Appleseed; this is, and always will be, a numbers game. If we are to have any hope for positive, tangible change on a national or state level, we must expose the masses to the Appleseed message. This can only be done expediently by multiplying AS host locations, and most importantly, filling the firing lines. In light of this, the urgency for a Promotions Coordinator should become more apparent. There's a position for everyone within AS...perhaps you're the one to fill this particular need? I certainly hope so. The "Applecart" rolls much smoother and faster with more shoulders to the wheel.  O0

The Machine

Time to bump this one again since there hasn't been any takers yet. Complementary to instructing and developing new locations, promotional work is vital to the success of AS in WV...as if I haven't said this before.  ::)

The ideal candidate for the 'Promotions Coordinator' would be someone who isn't instructing--or doing a minimal amount--and has good organizational/planning skills. Ability to sell ice cubes to an Eskimo is not mandatory; that would be a bonus, though.  ^-^

As more of our WV volunteers are focusing on instructing, less effort is being put into promotions, and our pre-reg numbers reflect this. Look at how many are signed up for Stinson on June 26th, then check the rest of this year's schedule.  >:(

At the very least, I put forth a challenge to each instructor working a shoot to bring at least a friend or family member with them. In the interim, if anyone is interested in this position, or knows of a prospective candidate, please let me know. Thanks!  :)

siglite

Hmm... all I can offer are excuses. :(  I really would step up, but I'd be spread far too thin, and would do the position/job a disservice.  I'd rather only commit to that which I can realistically accomplish. 

I'm not 100% certain everyone is *seeing* this thread.  Witness the low view numbers.  Maybe send the same thing out to our WV folks via PM, or a PM directing them to this thread. 

--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

MacMcM

Let me get my first shoot under my belt, and we can talk... I can't do much more than I have on my plate now, but I can spread the word in Western and SW WVa
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

The Machine

Thanks for your input guys. I know both of you have a full plate and I wouldn't really expect you to do this. I know we have other volunteers who are probably in a more realistic position to handle the task, but they either don't know about it--as siglite said--or are apprehensive for some other reason. I will send a PM out to all WV members, but if they don't participate on the forum, chances are they won't see the PM. Good to cover all bases though.

siglite

PMs usually result in an email notification.  So if you PM it, they'll see it.
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.