News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RBC 1, (this one originally had pics, too, but they were deleted at some time)

Started by Old Dog, September 17, 2009, 08:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

More explanation about the pics.  The pics were deleted from the original post and the link seems to be dead.
Ted
Occasional Poster

Rifleman bootcamp pics
<< on: September 2, 2006, 10:43:54 PM >> Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the pics I took at Rifeman bootcamp.

http://m1a.gamron.com/album05

Ron takes AIM

Report to moderator    Logged 

4LIBERTY
Master Poster

Re: Rifleman bootcamp pics
<< Reply #1 on: September 2, 2006, 10:57:09 PM >> Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excellent pictures Ted. Thanks for posting.

?The first maxim of a man who loves liberty, should be never to grant to rulers an atom of power that is not most clearly and indispensably necessary for the safety and well being of society?
Richard Henry Lee..

DrPacer
Master Poster

<< Reply #2 on: September 2, 2006, 11:01:34 PM >> Quote 

Thanks. I enjoyed that!

Helps me feel like I was there!

Barry
De N3VOW

3 minutes without air (oxygen)
3 hours without shelter (from extreme exposure)
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

Mike Wallace
Occasional Poster

<< Reply #3 on: September 4, 2006, 05:17:32 PM >> Quote 

Quoted:
"Thanks. I enjoyed that!

Helps me feel like I was there!

Barry
De N3VOW

Barry,
   The photographs are great, but only provide for an Hor'deurve taste: the sound and concussion of 25 shooters firing a 20 round Rapid Fire Prone or anything like it, is beyond a photographs' ability to illustrate. That's about 500 rounds in one minute or so; it is deafening and you can feel it in every bone and organ in your body. It is The Symphony of Freedom. My words are feeble beside Ted's crisp photographs: beside the sounds of range commands and the firing, words don't give much a clue of feeling, but with the photo's, together with you imagination and desire to go through this, you can begin to imagine a bit better.   Would advise to attend and not only will you feel it all, but you'll learn some of the issues that affect you score for the better. 

DrPacer
Master Poster

<< Reply #4 on: September 4, 2006, 07:30:46 PM >> Quote 

Mike

Been there as staff  in Indiana, for the sounds of Freedom.

I know of what you speak, and am sorry I couldn't attend the weeklong this year.

Already workingon plans for next year.

Barry

3 minutes without air (oxygen)
3 hours without shelter (from extreme exposure)
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

Spartacus2002
Master Poster

Rifleman & instructor

<< Reply #5 on: September 4, 2006, 10:20:24 PM >> Quote 

Quote from: Mike Wallace on September  4, 2006, 05:17:32 PM
   The photographs are great, but only provide for an Hor'deurve taste: the sound and concussion of 25 shooters firing a 20 round Rapid Fire Prone or anything like it, is beyond a photographs' ability to illustrate. That's about 500 rounds in one minute or so; it is deafening and you can feel it in every bone and organ in your body. It is The Symphony of Freedom.

I have found that being able to shoot thru the cacophony is just as confidence-inspiring as being able to shoot Rifleman.

Ask TR about the time my recently cleaned, oiled, and lubricated M1A burnt off so much excess Breakfree into smoke that it looked like I was shooting a blackpowder rifle   

I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by
reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose
conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.
--Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

Son of Martha
<< Reply #6 on: September 5, 2006, 08:29:33 PM >> Quote 

On another note, what are some of the humorous things that happened there?  There is always a story!  I am sure that everyone present will remember the "Anti-Armor Ambush" we pulled on Fred.  I am also sure there were lots of "crack-up ROTFL" moments that I missed.....

And one I didn't....

My buddy Andre was just left of me for most of the time, and early in the week he had a bad habit of getting his NPOA perfect....on MY target.  After the third time in one morning that he lit me up (they're MY targets, dangit!), I got rough with him.  Scurried into the clubhouse and got the brightest pink paper I could find, folded it into a big arrow, and stapled it to his backer, pointing at his QDAQT.  But I didn't stop there, oh no!  I also marked through his name on his AQT, and with a big black sharpie wrote "DOOFUS", so he would have no illusions as to my opinion of his target detection ability.....(sigh)

Pride goeth before a fall....

Yup, less than halfway through the day, we were walking down to check things out, when I notice that I fired some REALLY tight groups...on his sheet.  What to do, what to do?

What else could I do?

I stapled that big, ugly, accusing pink arrow over on MY target, scribbled out the "DOOFUS" on his and wrote his name in, scribbled out my name, and signed it as only a true doofus can....

I am nothing if not fair (And considerably humbler). Lucky for me I have friends who like me anyway...

SoM

Ornell Fuggett
Enthusiastic Poster

Are you a Free Person?

<< Reply #7 on: September 6, 2006, 07:20:22 AM >> Quote 

Great pictures!
Ah yes, the look on Fred's face was worth the price of admission!    As he realized what was happening, he simply rolled of his rifle and smiled..... Imagine, Fred smiling.
SoM, at least it was a tight group......   

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

What then is Liberty?

"Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel

24kshooter
Active Poster

<< Reply #8 on: September 6, 2006, 08:40:38 AM >> Quote 

Looks as if you have some great memories - there are some happy and tired looking puppies in the pics. Thank you for sharing. 

Junior Birdman
Enthusiastic Poster

Starve a monkey. Eat more bananas!

<< Reply #9 on: September 7, 2006, 11:43:43 AM >> Quote 

Some of my favorite moments from the Boot Camp?  Lemme see.......   Waking up every morning, watching the day begin, knowing that I was going to get to shoot ALL DAY!!!   Meeting all the GREAT folks who came.   Learning to live with damp bedding without even minding after a while.  Learning to live with leaves and other forrest debris in my underwear without minding after a while.  Listening to Son of Martha recite Kipling as darkness fell on the range the first night. (I am now in the process of memorizing "The gods of the Copybook Headings")  Listening again as he recited  "The Muster Drum" later in the week.  Listening for every little nugget of knowledge I could pick up during the week, both from history, or about shooting. Not getting clobbered by the trees that fell around my camp during the storm.  The way I STILL get a huge smile on my face when I recall firing on pop-ups!  The satisfaction that came from helping someone, in some small way, acheive Rifleman status.  The fast, lifesaving help I received from Ornell F when my rifle went tango uniform in the middle of an AQT,(during which, I shot my highest score to date! Persistence, Lads!), Thanks D!  Did I mention the pop-ups? Watching Ken S shoot his highest score to date, AFTER his target fell upside down and backwards!!! (I would bronze that thing!)  The look on Fred's face during the "Tank" shoot. (Sorry, Fred, I couldn't resist!) Cold showers. (Not really) The way I felt every night before hitting the tent: worn out, but anxious to get back out there again tomorrow!  And did I mention pop-ups?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquence;it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

DragonWood
Occasional Poster

Observations from a newbie
<< Reply #10 on: September 7, 2006, 11:01:45 PM >> Quote 

Imagine being taught how to swim for the very first time. Your 20 minute lesson takes place out of the water. The next thing you know you are being thrown into the deep end, sink or swim!!
I came to my very first Appleseed Shoot (Sept 2.3) with hardly more than 25 minutes of learning about the rifle I was going to shoot with. And that took place the night before. Sure, I read Fred's Gude to becoming a Rifleman. I studied hard for several weeks and I could recite those 6 steps inside out, upside down, and backwards! I also knew my 4 safety rules (and let us not forget rule #5!!) But I had never fired this rifle before! In fact I had fired only 10 rounds in my life before coming to this shoot.
So here I am, on the firing line, listening to the sound of my heart racing, getting ready to fire my frist shot. I hear the command "FIRE" and then hear an explosion of 20+ rifles being fired and feel the concussion of all of them! Those first two minutes seemed to last forever!! I can't even begin to put into words all that I was feeling just then. WOW!! sums it up pretty well.
As I look back over those 2 days a HUGE smile comes to my face (versus the tears of frustration that I had on Sunday night). I now see clearly how much I accomplished. I am sure glad that I did know those 6 steps to firing a rifle because I put them into practice and by the end of day 2 (with the help of some one on one instructing) I was beginning to shoot a group about the size of a fist!! I know with confidence how to handle the rifle that I was using, how to put my sling on correctly and how to make the rifle safe. I know that with lots of practice I will get better. I think the seated position RULES!
I want to thank the instructors who were very patient with me and gave valueable feedback!! Keith, Chuck, Marc, and Rick to name a few!
I didn't come to this shoot expecting to shoot a Rifleman score. I came to learn and that I did. There is so much more than just shooting a rifle.....there is a responsibility that goes with it.
As for shooting Rifleman score......my time is coming!!    Kim 

farmritch
Enthusiastic Poster

Rifleman/Commoman & A plethoria of worthless info.

<< Reply #11 on: September 7, 2006, 11:08:42 PM >> Quote 

About 2.75 years ago I stepped foot on the grounds of the RWVA in NC for my first time.
I had  shot a bit more than you before I went there from your statement 
BUT I just got a Flashback!!
It was just like as you described
I also met people I have not seen since but occasionally give a call to and ask how are they doing.
Thanks for the smile & memory
and remember you've just started a new page in history

Farmritch

Farmritch
(the T is for Trouble)

OPossum/TX
Occasional Poster

<< Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 10:34:36 PM >> Quote 

I had hoped to go to the boot camp but finances and health problems prevented it.  I did make the Sept. 2-3 Appleseed shoot though.

I don't know exactly what I expected other than that I would shoot better afterwards, this I certainly found to be true.  I do shoot my rifle much better now.

The kinder, gentler instructors seemed to be finding their feet at this one.  This was obviously the first time some of them had instructed.   I learned that I had problems I didn't know about and I learned to handle some of those problems as well as some I knew I had.  My #**&@^$% sling is just too durn short!  My back and legs don't bend like they did when I was thirty.  I learned some new, to me, ways of doing things that greatly tightened my groups. 

Unfortunately, the best I shot was 196 on the AQT but it was much better than the first time I tried.  At the last minute I got panicky and ordered a varmit scope to put on my AR15.  It turns out that it was a big, big help.  What's better is that no one laughed at me for showing up with a short range sniper rig.

I am very pleased with the way I spent my money and time at this event.

Shucks! I even got to do my good deed for the day for both Friday and Saturday.  I helped get a stuck truck out Friday afternoon and Saturday, I lent my spare AR to a fellow who was sharing with his son, that allowed both of them to shoot at the same time.

The weather was good on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The instructors were practically falling over each other to help us poor dufuses to shed our dufusness. 

The porta-potties were clean enough that my wife used them with out complaining excessively. 

The camping area was shaded and the cost to camp was low.  The low cost camping got me there when I would have had to strain mightily to spend money for a hotel. 

I don't care what you fellows say though, that shower is a JOKE!  It's better than nothing but can only be used after dark.  I hope improvements are comming there!

So, I have some things to fix and some practicing to do. 

Will I go to another Appleseed? 

Will I try to get my friends to go?

Will I promote it at work, at church and at the gun club?

YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE IT!!

Thank you!
O'Possum/TX

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle