News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Successful Pronghorn Hunt

Started by nmmi9100, September 14, 2009, 01:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmmi9100

Popped a nice Central New Mexico Pronghorn Saturday with my 338 Lapua at 615 yards.  Inches-Minutes-Clicks and firing by the numbers made it possible.  Called the shot good and when I go there, it was...went right through the shoulder, within an inch or two of my point of aim.  10.75 MOA dialed in.  Load was 300 Sierra Matchking over 89.0 RE-25 in Lapua brass, annealed every firing, with a Federal 215 Match primer.  Only downer on the who thing was he was quartering toward me more...when I thought he was broadside.  Exit wound took some small intestine out a softball size hole.  He did die very quickly...never took a step.

And yeah, yeah SamD...I wasn't using a Garand and using iron sights...wasn't using the steady hold factors either...bipod on the ground...but I did use IMC & the six steps.  So let the harassment begin.

On a secondary note, my wife killed one too...but she had such a fit with the bipod on her 30-06 that she's converted!  She ordered a GI sling for her Tikka today and is planning to shoot from positions so she won't get all those blood blisters from a bipod mashing her!

Here's mine:

-David
Edgewood, NM

BobABQ

Nice looking pronghorn; how far was the shot taken at?

SamD

Congrats David,
Looks like a fair critter.

Sam

nmmi9100

Quote from: BobABQ on September 14, 2009, 01:39:54 AM
Nice looking pronghorn; how far was the shot taken at?

615 yards, measured by a Leica LRF 1200 Scan.  He was at 635 when I setup the shot.  Had 11 MOA dialed in...final range call from my buddy Tony had him at 615 so I dialed back 1/4 MOA to 10.75 MOA from my 200 yard zero.

-David

Devnull

"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

TaosGlock

Congrats David!
Very nice pronghorn! The wide open spaces of NM make for great shooting/hunting experiences.
There is no doubt that what we teach at an AS will put meat on the table. ^-^  O0...and with less ammo expended. :)
What part of the state? I have yet to get get my pronghorn.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

nmmi9100

Dan:

We were the only two State Hunters on the ranch.  There were also two landowner-tag hunters.  Ranch is located directly north of Cedarvale, NM, which is a few miles northwest of Corona.  From Cedarvale, it runs 14 miles north and at it's widest point is about 8 miles wide, although the place is irregularly shaped.  Pounds Brothers Ranch is about 32,000 acres, 82% Private, 18% State Lease.  The rancher asked Amy & I to hunt the west half of the place and the landowner-tag hunters had the east half.

By noon we had seen at least 80 Pronghorns, 6 of them being bucks.  Great hunt.

-David