News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lemoore, CA - September 26-27, 2009

Started by Camljr, September 28, 2009, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camljr

Great appleseed for a first time new range here in Lemoore. I want to thank the Lemoore Sportsmans club for hosting this event, and allowing us to use their range facilities! It was more than adequate, and the covered firing line was a welcome addition since it was near 100 degrees both days with no breeze to speak of. :'(

Second, I want to thank Garand56 and his lovely wife for hosting the instructors at their home. It was a wonderful experience that more appleseeders should try and do if they have the opportunity. The camaraderie of instructors, spending their off time together, Conversations, and dinner, are priceless. I would not trade those experiences for anything in the world. Thanks again you two.... O0

We started out Saturday morning with 10 shooters, no walk ons, and some of them members of the club.
We got started right on time with the small crowd and the first redcoat target showed we had our work cut out for us with most of the shooters. There were a lot of first time shooters who brought what they had in the closet, under the bed, or stashed in the barn... But we did tell them "run what ya brung."  So they did.... Most of the rifles had not been sighted in, and most of them did not have slings, Over the course of the day, I ended up with all 6 of my various .22 rifles loaned out.  Good thing i BROUGHT THEM ALL!

It was good to see so many new shooters, especially the teenagers, and younguns... they were very teachable... We saw regular improvement throughout the day. Leland had a constant grin. His mom Cheryl did fairly well for a first time shooter and some physical limitations. Sunday morning was difficult for some, as it usually is!

Ended the day Saturday with alot of enlightened folks due to some good history presentations. and founders quotes. It was especially beneficial for the 4 members of the Anrig family, since they were home schooled, which made this Appleseed a much appreciated history lesson for them. They drove down each day from the Fresno area to attend. Quite a little jaunt for them... I think they thought it was worth it though!

Sunday we had a total of 11 on the line. A redcoat and some squares later, on to AQT'S!!!  we started off quite well and they really put the instruction to use. My thanks to Garand56 for running the line all day Sunday so I could work with the shooters on making rifleman. Also want to thank Reggie and Deadaye for working the RSO jobs, and Garand56 and Deadaye for doing Demos. I did the TPI stuff and demo'ed NPOA while Garand56 instructed.

The Numbers..... WE HAVE A NEW CALIFORNIA RIFLEMAN!!!  :~ :~ :~ It seems Jerome, who brought his better half Jan with him, scored a 212 near the end of the day... Congrats to Jerome!!! He had attended an Appleseed at Fresno or Sacramento a few months ago, and made it back to get the coveted prize... his RIFLEMAN patch! Jan was improving all day and had a high score of 150. About what Jerome was doing at his first Appleseed. Keep at it Jan and we can get you there too!! we need more instructor couples...hint, hint... ;)

Other high scores were: The Anrig family... New shooters all... Mom Karlin 138, Alyssa 145, Jachin 158, and Keane 182... Way to go. We took your family from being rifle owners to being Marksmen and sharpshooters!!  another Appleseed or two, and a few Ruger 10/22 purchases, and we will see some experts out of you all...

Dave and his son Jon had a great time, Dave brought his high power M1A and had never sighted it in. We got him on right away, and he had to change out to a borrowed .22 after a couple AQT'S because " my shoulder is like hamburger." He ended up shooting a 165 using my Mossberg M44us bolt action with 2 7 rd mags. Imagine what he could do with an LTR.

The final redcoat we had vast improvement from Saturday AM which shows the instruction DOES work! Everyone pitched in to clean up the range and the benediction about seventh stepping was well received.

I have taken pictures which I will post up tomorrow after I download them... Stay tuned!!!

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

Here are some pics as promised. Starting with Jerome, our rifleman...

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt