News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Target backers needed for Boulder AS 9/5-6

Started by MTGlass, August 30, 2009, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTGlass

Only about eight un-perforated cardboard backers remain; 3-4 still stapled to sticks.  They are in the tin shed.  1"x2" sticks are in worse shape than on D-Day.  Steel pepper-poppers, tires and .22 Bianchi plates will need to be dragged out of the way.  The big BBQ has not been returned.  Hopefully a warming fire won't be needed.

Hopefully I can drag the kids away from the trap range long enough to shoot Sunday.
Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

glocker21

I will see what I can do to get some cardboard from Wholesale Sports for target backers.

Glocker21 sends
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

A virtuous government requires a virtuous people.

A frugal government requires a selfâˆ'reliant people.

A free country requires people who value liberty more than
money."
Charley Reese

bru

Rick has 19 sets of 1" x 2"s and enough cardboard for at least 15 backers.
If a fire is needed, we'll bring half of a 55 gal barrel to burn in.
What time on Friday to set up the range?
"Our friends show us what we can do; our enemies teach us what we must do"  -Goethe

glocker21

Quote from: bru on August 30, 2009, 10:47:38 PM
Rick has 19 sets of 1" x 2"s and enough cardboard for at least 15 backers.
If a fire is needed, we'll bring half of a 55 gal barrel to burn in.
What time on Friday to set up the range?

I get off my regular job at 5 but got called into my second job where I will unfortunately be until 8.

I plan on being at the range by 0700

Glocker21 sends
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

money."
Charley Reese

MontanaCZ

We (meaning me, Mrs.CZ, and both boys) plan on being in the area by 1800.  I might be able to squeak in at 1700 if that is what is needed.  I will just need to park the stuff at the campground and then head over.  Just let me know what is needed.

If we need more backers, get the cardboard and we can do a session there on Friday and turn them out quick.  I know the dimensions were somewhere.

I do not see the need for a fire.  If anything we will be looking for shade..  8)

Mrs CZ is making the trip to town tomorrow, so if we need to pick up something let me know.  This will be our only trip for the week.

-MCZ
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor

mtmisfit

1800 sounds good to me.

19-20" wide by 24 - 26" tall for the cardboard.  I'll see if there's any in the recycle dupster here at work.

it mostly takes labor to set up the range......

see you Friday evening.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

glocker21

Quote from: mtmisfit on August 31, 2009, 02:20:03 PM
1800 sounds good to me.

19-20" wide by 24 - 26" tall for the cardboard.  I'll see if there's any in the recycle dupster here at work.

it mostly takes labor to set up the range......

see you Friday evening.

I will be getting some boxes from Wholesale Sports before they go to the compactor.
I will bring my staple gun as well.

Glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

Mark Davis

Greetings all,
Just got done unpacking from Vale and found this thread.  I brought back enough supplies for our Boulder shoot and the supplies for the Vale shoot still have not arrived at my door.
I plan to arrive early Sat AM.
Rick, I can some times get 1X2s from work by rescuing them from the dumpster. Can also make some from scrap. What's the minimum length?
We had a good shoot at Vale and as the shooters dwindled I got to shoot a little. Pulled out my longrange .22 From 100 y zero its 24 minutes to 200 meters, and a total ot 56 minutes to 300 meters. There were only two shooters left to see me shooting very unappelseed like with, sling, bipod. and a prone position that would make big appleseed's eyes bug out. But I sure could pepper that pig with bulk pack hollow points!

glocker21

Quote from: clodhopper on August 31, 2009, 07:49:32 PM
Greetings all,
Just got done unpacking from Vale and found this thread.  I brought back enough supplies for our Boulder shoot and the supplies for the Vale shoot still have not arrived at my door.
I plan to arrive early Sat AM.
Rick, I can some times get 1X2s from work by rescuing them from the dumpster. Can also make some from scrap. What's the minimum length?
We had a good shoot at Vale and as the shooters dwindled I got to shoot a little. Pulled out my longrange .22 From 100 y zero its 24 minutes to 200 meters, and a total ot 56 minutes to 300 meters. There were only two shooters left to see me shooting very unappelseed like with, sling, bipod. and a prone position that would make big appleseed's eyes bug out. But I sure could pepper that pig with bulk pack hollow points!

Would you like me to inquire about the box o' supplies?

money."
Charley Reese

mtmisfit

1x2's - I think 30-32" would be plenty.  The last ones I cut to 48" but over a foot sticks up over the backers.......if we cut them to 32" maybe they won't get used for other shooting.....

I have the left over supplies from the last AS, Jerry left them with me.

"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

Mark Davis

Jerry I think that box is still on it's way. I have communicated with bulk head twice by PM. Tommorow would be one week enroute.

MontanaCZ

Maybe one of us should store the supplies so they don't get used, and we know what we have.

-MCZ
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor

mtmisfit

glocker21

Quote from: clodhopper on August 31, 2009, 11:19:58 PM
Jerry I think that box is still on it's way. I have communicated with bulk head twice by PM. Tommorow would be one week enroute.

Sounds good, I just do not want you to get forgotten in regards to supplies

money."
Charley Reese

glocker21

Quote from: MontanaCZ on September 01, 2009, 12:16:54 AM
Maybe one of us should store the supplies so they don't get used, and we know what we have.

-MCZ

I will see what I can get from Wholesale Sports from time to time and hang onto that until needed

money."
Charley Reese

MontanaCZ

I was thinking more of the wooden uprights and the backers.  Most of the backers should make it through several 'seeds, and the uprights should last a long time as well. 

-CZ

glocker21

I understand. firing strip should be sufficient

money."
Charley Reese

Mark Davis

A supply box was on my step when I arrived home from work today. I have 4 pair of backer sticks 32" long, scrounged from the dumpster at work. Will keep my eyes open. We throw away enough wood scraps to heat two homes or more a year. Right now the carpenter crew is hanging 1X6 T&G paneling.
Are people allowed to Camp at High Ore? I understand about the no campfire rule.
Mark

MontanaCZ

There is no camping at the range, but there is a small campground (BLM or State and free) that is almost directly over the RR right of way from the range.  It is called Galena Gulch Campground, and that is where we will be staying staring Friday night.

-MCZ

SamD

You folks know how to do a post and wire range?
A lot faster, easier and more portable than wooden target holders

Sam

MontanaCZ

Thanks for the comment Sam.  We have target stands (portable) used for our defensive pistol and other shoots.  We can set them up considerably faster than than the post and wire (I know since we have done it both ways).  All they are is wooden uprights and the cardboard between them that fit in the target stand.

-CZ

SamD

MTGlass

Unfortuntely, anybody camping at the Galena Gulch campground better get there EARLY!  I've camped there on Labor Day weekend before.  It was a zoo of 4-wheelers, generators and drunks partying long into the night.  I would expect no less this weekend.

When I was at the range last weekend the campground was heavily occupied by big RVs & such.
Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

glocker21

YIKES!!!! I guess we should stake out spots.

money."
Charley Reese

mtmisfit

if the campground is full or full of a-holes we can set up on the north end of the range, past the shooting bays.

I just read the range rules and they don't prohibit camping. Unless they have another set of rules they don't publish.

MontanaCZ

Well dang.  I always see it basically empty.  That last end bay should be nice and level, if we are allowed to do it, and just the right size.

-CZ

mtmisfit

that is my plan B if the campground is in fact overrun.......

I've heard some of the CAS people have camped on site.....

MontanaCZ

I hope that is the case.  I would hate to get all the way there, do the setup, and then have to come home only to head out early in the morning.

-CZ

glocker21

Quote from: MontanaCZ on September 03, 2009, 05:13:51 PM
I hope that is the case.  I would hate to get all the way there, do the setup, and then have to come home only to head out early in the morning.

-CZ

Well we could be more annoying and make them leave.....just kidding

money."
Charley Reese