News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Castro Valley, CA Sept 5-6, 09 AAR

Started by bob 210, September 09, 2009, 02:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

What a nice range! I never imagined the San Francisco Bay area to be mountainous and forested, but it sure was. Chabot Gun Club is an excellent range and it was a beautiful place to roll into early Saturday morning. I was joined by Camljr, James E, DesertDog, Aleeta and Ryan as we started to set up the event. With all the Rev War flags flying and all the target backers installed we began to great shooters. It was good to see folks from the Bridgeport Appleseed, Flash and Chris and several folks I had met at the Sacramento Appleseeds, Mike & Lisa, Dean & Jeanie and Joe from Fresno. It was also good to see new faces. We met Curt, our Range Master, who was very instrumental in getting this Appleseed set up and acting as BOTG to help get the word out locally.
  Just as I had realized I left the Orange Hats at home, up rolls Romeo's Hero to save the day! And she brought donuts & coffee! I could see this was going to be a great shoot and it being our first in the Bay area made it even better. So we got the show on the road, greeted 37 Appleseeders and proceeded with the intro, safety rules and line commands. The first redcoat had very typical results, so we were off to land of 1" squares. After Ball & Dummy, we had lunch and the 3 Strikes of the Match. The echo from the other ranges in the little valley that encompasses the range was amazing and telling the History was a little challenging to say the least, but Jame E was lucky enough to tell his portion during a cease fire on the other range.
  After lunch it was back to 1" squares and CAQT's and then on to the first QDAQT. Chris was our first Rifleman of the weekend. After our last Redcoat target of the day Jeanie impressed us all by clearing the whole target! Good job girl! Improvement was seen across the board. Last rounds have to be fired before 5:00pm and we just made it. With a benediction and a reminder to clean rifles, we handed out t-shirts and sent our weary Appleseeders home for the night.
   Sunday dawned sunny and gorgeous and after a nice breakfast at James' home, we headed to the range to continue the transformation of our rifle owners into Rifleman.22 Appleseeders joined us at the range and after a quick review, we started our shooters out on a Redcoat and a sheet of squares and then it was off to the AQT grind. During lunch we were told the stories of some Dangerous Old Men and some pretty dangerous women. To close history we commemorated the sacrifice made by Luther Blanchard, the 13 year old drummer from Acton who fell on April 19th, 1775, by presenting a Navy Jack Flag to our youngest Appleseeder, Peter.
  Back to the AQT's and to point out the importance of NPOA, we did a white star target with eyes closed. This drill sure is an eye opener! Another AQt and then a tank target competition. Way to go RED Team! We finished out the day with AQT's during which time we found two more Rifleman. Filip shot a 224 and Doug shot a 212. We had a Rifleman and a Riflewoman who repeated there feats from previous Appleseeds but with better results. Mike shot a 243 (I think he's going for a perfect score) and his wife Lisa stepped up with her new M1A and shot a 220 Riflewoman score with it! To close out this wonderful event we did the last Redcoat Target Parker's Revenge style and were met by grin across the board. It must hard to shoot well with all your teeth hanging out in the wind! Everyone really seemed to enjoy it and we wrapped up this wonderful Appleseed with quotes from the Founding Fathers and packed it up for the long ride home. Thanks to all who attended and to the great job done by all the instructors. Until next time.....
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Camljr

A great Appleseed At the Chabot Gun Club!

Thanks to James E. and his lovely wife Ruth for hosting the instructors at their home, and making the wonderful dinner and breakfasts for us.

It was great to see some of the same faces we had seen before at Sacramento, Fresno, and beyond! Also there were a lot of faces we hadn't seen beforte, but will probably see again very soon. They were knocking on the door, and will be back to get that rifleman score...Congrats to Chris, Filip, and Doug for shooting rifleman, and to Doug for stepping into the orange hat!   O0

There were a few people I also want to recognise that should get the perseverance award. JC, showed up, and had been to 2 previous Appleseeds in Sacramento, gets my personal "perserverance award." This guy has drawn blood each and every Appleseed, and still is determined to make rifleman. (let me explain the "draws blood" comment... Elbows...)  I finally convinced him to use a set of custom made Gel filled elbow pads...  :)

Also, Kenrick progressed very well and was knocking on the door to rifleman. as was Jason and John B. Jeannie got a high score of 201, and cleared the redcoat on Saturday afternoon!   :~  Lisa and Mark, who are old time Appleseeders banged out a 243 and a 220 respectively. way to go! :~

Now they need to help spread their shooting knowledge to others... ;)  They are hooked and it is just a matter of time before they step up and help save America.. ^-^

Anyway, here is a link to all the pictures taken at this appleseed.... enjoy!

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w282/camljr59/Castro%20Valley%200909/?albumview=slideshow

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

ddreger

Many thanks to all of the instructors for holding such a fantastic Appleseed. The first day I attended with my brother, and it was his first. On the drive home he was very excited commenting on how tired he was, how much he learned, and how it was going to change the way he approaches his range time. "I am no longer going to send wasted bullets down range." My brother will be back I am sure, and with his two sons. I can't wait to see them attend their first Appleseed!

I learned a lot, and the at home practice really helped me get into prone and sitting easier. I am now a firm believer in NPOA. On the last AQT I got my (barely) rifleman score. Now with that monkey off my back I look forward to working on bettering my score, and doing so with my M1a.

I really appreciated all of the stories. They were gripping as the instructors were all so passionate in telling them. I've already retold part of the Dangerous Old Men story to one of my coworkers.

polygunner

A big THANK YOU to all of the appleseed instructors who took time out of their lives to spread the word and teach rifle marksmanship. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Each time I attend an Appleseed I learn somthing. I come back because of the lessons in history and rifle marksmanship it's true, but mostly it's the people. The shooters, who seem to be all like minded, and the instructors, who are truely commited to their task of turning rifle owners into riflemen while handing out a dose of historical perspective that seems to be lacking in so many these days.   Thanks for that!

Chabot gun club is a neat little range. Set in the eucalyptus trees in the hills above the east bay, cool weather and gentle breezes was the order of the weekend.

The small enclosed valley made for some LOUD echos from the public ranges with made hearing, and speaking for that matter, dificult.  But the instructors persevered. I'm amazed they had any voices left for Sunday.  But they did, and carried on without a hitch.

Though I've been shying away from the offer of the orange hat, on two occasions I found one in my hand.
Once Bob was getting some hats out of his truck while I was talking to him. He had to turn and put the lid back on  the container he was in and said "hold this", sneaky. Next was at the end of the day on Sun. after he handed out one orange hat to a new rifleman and thepresentation was over he walked by me and accidentaly droped one right at my feet. Go figure. He is a truely a master of recruitment and a asset to the program, all the instructors are.

I have 2 more recruits for the Sac shoot in Oct. so I'll see you there.
Mike

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u137/polygunner/chabot%20appleseed/?albumview=slideshow

The Tick

I also would like to thank all of the instructors who were a great help to me and my wife Jeannie. 

Jeannie was shooting around the 130s for her first Appleseed and this Appleseed was shooting 200.  She will get it next time. 

Thanks again and see you in Sacramento!