News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Miamisburg, Ohio - Aug. 29/30

Started by slim, September 01, 2009, 02:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Friday night started off with some wonderful camaraderie around the camp fire. By the time I arrived, DryFire, who is our resident MacGyver (I still think he should change his name one more time!) had a nice blaze snapping and crackling the kindling twigs he'd gathered from the nearby woods. After layering on larger and larger branches and adding plenty of persistence by acting as a human bellows, the fire roared to life and illuminated the faces of all who'd gathered 'round. Not only did this guy show up to Appleseed as a Rifleman, but he also showed up building shelters and starting fires. Symbolism, anyone?

We had quite a few folks there for the pre-Appleseed camping. DryFire's wife joined us and so did MeanStreaker's. The "Dangerous Old Family" was out in full force! After hooking me up with a WHOLE Hershey bar, the kids got down to the most important business of any campfire - SMORES. We enjoyed getting reacquainted and catching up on details of the last couple weeks, then Ishy shared the story of Sybil Ludington with us. For those who don't know, Sybil was 16 and rode through the countryside raising the alarm to her father's company while the Regulars kept close watch on his house. She rode all night, through a thunderstorm, and by morning when she'd returned, almost all of the 400 men were mustered on their farm. Talk about a hero. And to hear it from a young woman of the same age... we talk about the Dangerous Old Men, well, I'm here to tell you, the Dangerous Young Women are just as formidable!

We talked into the wee hours and with "Saving the Country" fast approaching, we turned in. I especially enjoyed the "sleeping bag symphony" as I rested on my cot. One person got up to answer nature's call, and in response, several zippers could be heard as folks adjusted their own bags or headed out of their tents as well. Cots could be heard creaking and groaning as others attempted to find comfort. Then there would be silence.... at least for a few minutes until the person returned and then the symphony would strike back up and on we'd go. I could only imagine a shadowed maestro standing atop the shelter and relaxing back into the dark - only to spring back to life when anyone would move.

The morning found us waking up to the smells of bacon. Once again, DryFire sets the standard! Speaking of smells, he sniffed the air while we were on the line and said, "is someone shooting Remington Eley?" He could actually smell which type of ammo shooters were using. (MacGyver!) Shortly after breakfast we were joined by Luna and Posterboy.... and a line of shooters. HUZZAH!

We moved through the morning rather quickly because these folks not only drank from the fire hose, but they asked for more! Everyone on the line did a great job of taking the instruction and translating it into ever-tightening groups. We were joined by Paladin who wasn't even on the schedule but stopped by to lend a hand. Dedication to the cause! Huzzah! 

Lunch time (special thanks to Starbuck for hooking me up with some delicious veggies... and more chocolate!) found us sitting back and enjoying a great First Strike by Posterboy and then heading back out to the line with a pouch full of Rifleman Patches to hold in front of their sights so they could see what they were aiming for. Instructing them to be the coaches, holding the Patch in their sightline.... then it was time to pound the anvil of the AQT! One of our return shooters, Mouse, shot a 204 with one little flyer on the bottom. I told him, "man, if you would've only got that little guy in there" and he replied, "no way! Then I would've had a 210 and got soaked!"

We took a quick break from the anvil to relax in the shade, get a drink and a little snack before pressing on. MeanStreaker and I tag teamed the 2nd and 3rd Strikes and with newfound rejuvination, we headed back out to the line to make some Riflemen. And make them we did! One of the guys on the end of our line, Randy, shot a 225 with a tube-fed Marlin and NO sling! Mouse followed him up pretty quickly and made sure he was comfortably over the "getting soaked" marker. It was a real treat to see Mouse show up again - even more of a treat to see him bring a buddy, and then accept the Orange Hat. He embodies what Appleseed is all about. He took it home from his first event, PERSISTED, 7th Stepped, and then came back for more. Outstanding job. HUZZAH!

The Dangerous Old Family never ceases to amaze me. Even the younger shooters, who could barely hold up a rifle earlier this year, are doing their part to save the country. Leah, who is only 10 years old, was quick to help the shooter next to her, Nadia (who added about 100 points to her score over the weekend!) when her elbow was rolling all over the ground. Leah got her squared away by putting the "flat part down more and staying off that rolly ball" HUZZZZZAH! Seeing them shoot as a team, as a family, and always, always, always, bringing more and more folks with them, they are the "hope and change" we've been looking for.

We ended up the day by shooting a few "after hours" AQTs - and Ishy calling the line. Sure this was the "informal" part of our day when we'd concluded the event and most of our shooters were heading home to rest, but there was nothing informal about the way she called the line. Like everything else she does, it was done to Rifleman's Standard. Huzzah! There was a time while we were shooting where I shifted over and bumped into MeanStreaker. Although still in the Rifleman's Bubble (gotta always be in the bubble, right?) I reflected on how there I was, out on a Saturday afternoon with my buddies, taking an active part in preserving our American tradition. If there's a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon, I'm not sure what it is.

I think I'm also obligated to post here that every Instructor and student who was shooting outshot me. The kids of the Dangerous Old Family had quite a good time reminding me of that, several times, throughout the remainder of the weekend. I just hope they remember.... I can still run faster than them!

While waiting on MeanStreaker and Mouse to return with dinner, RedNekEngr and I had a chance to sit down and relax, reflect on the event, past events, etc., and while Dangerous Old Mom and several of her kids were joining us and then running away, joining us again, running away again (so much energy.... and this is after shooting all day!) I looked over my shoulder and flying high over the range, a bald eagle soared overhead. He let out the cry "Huzzzzah!" and soared on. I've never seen one flying in Ohio and never knew they were this close to the city. For me, this was yet another sign that we're being helped along in our course, much in the same way Paul Revere was helped along when the moon rose low and to the South.

Another good night of camping and fireside chats and Sunday was upon us. Sunday was much faster and we did a whole bunch of shooting. Luna must've done a heck of a job because the two new folks who joined us were keeping pace (and great groups) as soon as they came to the line. Lunch time offered us a special treat. Ishy once again stood (and when I say stood, for those of you who don't know Ishy, even standing sets an example for the rest of us!) center stage and led us through a very exciting story of Nancy Hart, aka "Watache." Ishy's called the line... shared some history....... HUZZZAH! 

Several more Rifleman were forged on the anvil of the AQT. Mouse's buddy, Lightbulb, wasted no time in knocking out a Rifleman's score. One of our Dangerous Old Men, who was also using a tube-fed, enjoyed a nice cool and refreshing shower when he hit 210 on the dot - from sitting position! He's now been dubbed, "Sitting Bull." Our 5th and final Rifleman is also a member of the Dangerous Old Family and persisted her way through several Appleseed events nudging closer and closer every time. She was intent on making it this time. When her big sister got hit by hot brass and said, "you burnt me again" she replied, "wear a jacket." It was my pleasure to present Lyberty (who's real name is Lydia) with the Rifleman's Patch. HUZZZAH! 

I'm sure Lyberty wasn't trying to be mean or short when she told her sister to get a jacket on - it's just that there's an established standard in this family and DOM starts 'em off young. "Get your ears on and sit there!" was the enthusiastic instruction for the youngest daughter, still just a bit too small to hold up the Cricket. I laughed a little when I heard her and she said, "are you laughing at me?" I shut up!

Many more of our shooters were very close and with practice at home, persistence, and the drive to save our country burning inside them, I'm sure we'll see them at the next event, most returning with buddies. If you've noticed a theme in this AAR, there is. The family. If we're truly to become a nation of Riflemen once again, we have to restore that sense of community. Community starts with the family.

If you get the chance to come to Miamisburg, I highly recommend it. MeanStreaker runs a flawless event, and if you persist, you too will become part of our community of Riflemen. Then, together, we can become a nation of Riflemen once again. Practice what you've learned, show someone else, and come back for more!

MeanStreaker says it every time, "It's a great day to save the country."

Dinky Dao

Oh man...I missed Lydia hitting Rifleman?! I'm crushed... :'( I was really hoping to see that one for myself. Congratulations, sweetie. Wear your new patch well.  O0

Thanks for the fantastic report, slim. I'm on the road driving home from the Fresno, CA RBC, and it's good to be keep up to date on the happening of the home front. Even when I'm far from home, I know my Ohio crew is there carrying on THE MISSION. I am blessed with the best crew ever.

Ohio Instructors ROCK!

Dinky
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

MeanStreaker

It was a great day to save the country.  Both of them. :)

Slim got this rocking and rolling but left out a few very important facts:

After earning it many times over and being promoted by a MI previously, I was honored to hand slim his Red Hat.  It should have come from someone way above my pay grade, but schedules being what they are, many of us decided it can wait no longer and he needed it this weekend.  I was honored to hand it to him as a friend.  HUZZAH!

Posterboy gave a rousing history presentation and is easily promoted to IIT4.  HUZZAH!

RedNekEngr and DryFire also passed their respective PCs and we've now got a lot more folks in Ohio moving up the ladder.  HUZZAH!

Congratulations Mouse on that new Orange hat.  I look forward to working with you.  HUZZAH!

I'll tell you what.

Just when I think I can't respect RedNekEngr and Becky's (D.O.M) family any more, they go and prove me wrong.  It was a joy to have our junior shooters and little ones with us at the range this weekend.  Lydia persisted and easily earned her Rifleman patch.  I told them that Fred is going to start charging them for patches as they're going to clean him out soon.  Seth and Leah improved greatly and are both knocking on the door.  I believe 10 yr old Leah was in the high 190's, right?  That's incredible!  Friend of the family Nadia was also right there. 

But the special moment of the weekend for me was hearing Sara talk about Women of the Revolutionary War on Sunday.  As everyone saw, I was simply speechless when she was done.  Truly excellent.

Sara also did great calling the line Saturday evening while some Instructors worked over the AQT.  I think her booming, authoritative voice commanding me to "FIRE" is the only reason I got that Rifleman score.  Or maybe it was because I was using her rifle?   O0   

Just when I think I can't respect that family any more.... They go and prove me wrong.

The whole family rolled in Friday and we set the line and got camp squared away.  Campfire time was what it always is -- just what the soul needed.  For those that have the ability to camp at an Appleseed event, I highly recommend it.  The heavens opened up around midnight on Friday, but that didn't stop me and slim from a couple more hours of chatting.  I think my throat was a little hoarse from shouting to him two feet away over the racket of rain pounding the metal roof of the shelter.  Man, it rained!

Then it was time for the weekend to officially begin.  I can't say enough about these shooters.  Everyone took the lessons to heart and everyone improved.

We had a safe shoot, caught up with old friends, and most important - made new ones.  Congrats to everyone that made Rifleman - especially "Sitting Bull" that used a tubefed rifle and shot the prone stages in sitting due to physical limitations that wouldn't allow for prone.  Outstanding persistence!

Thanks for everyone's part in making this a great weekend.  I couldn't have asked for a better crew or a better group of shooters.

See you next time.

Now I can't wait to see the pics!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Ishy

Yes!  What a terrific weekend we had in Miamisburg!  Wow, Slim; I didn't know you were such a great writer!   :)

I got to meet Meanstreaker for the first time.  He's a great guy.  He did a fantastic job as shoot boss.  My sis got her Rifleman patch--she was so excited.  She has worked hard to earn that patch for a long time.  She deserved it 100%.  The instructors were amazing.  Posterboy presented super history lessons.  And I had the honor of seeing Slim get his red hat!  Huzzah!!!   :)  Meanstreaker let me give my speech about Nancy Hart, one of the Revolutionary War's "un-sung heroes."  I got to witness five new Riflemen receive their well-earned patches.  Congratulations, all!  Huzzah!!!   :)  (I guess Slim is starting to have quite an influence on me, huh?)  Huzzah!!!   **)

I got lots of good pictures.  I was hard picking out which ones to attach!  I think Brandon got some good ones too.  Can't wait to see those!   :)

Thank you so much, Meanstreaker and IITs, for a WONDERFUL WEEKEND!   :)

Ishy
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

Ishy

"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

Ishy

I'm having a hard time with the pics....  Anyway, the last one was Slim getting his red hat!  Congratulations, Slim!   :)

Ishy

Okay, it's only letting me post two pictures at a time!!!   !@#)

Ishy

Some more good ones....

Ishy

These should be the last ones!  Sorry I had to post five replies to get these pics on here!  Silly computer....   :))

Ishy

MeanStreaker

Thanks Ishy! 

I hope someone got pics of our Mad Minute team drill results.  This was the first time that I had to call an honest tie on the winners.  Those stars were decimated!  Mission accomplished!!!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

posterboy

Always refreshing to come to an appleseed and see Americans eager to learn. We volunteer but meeting everyone who come out an appleseed sometimes I think I should be paying for the satisfaction I ride home with at the end of a weekend. Thank you all who came !

Equally Satisfying was seeing Slim get a long overdue Red Hat. Slim you're my hero and deserve all the accolades you get. It's too bad Dinky couldn't be there but I am grateful for having seen it firsthand ...HUZZAH!

It is also amazing to see Ohio's version of The Incredibles.....RedNekEngr  has the type of family that should be cloned. Folks if you could see them in action you'd know our country has great hope. Ishy told wonderful history on Sunday about Nancy Hart and is a huge asset to us lucky buckeyes.

All the shooters progressed thru the weekend and we cranked out 5 ohio riflemen including one of the Incredibles, Lyberty who's superpower is marksmanship ! Huzzah ! A Standing and sitting only rifleman Sitting Bull hit the mark straight on the 210 without laying prone ! Every shooter I saw made big leaps and left bad habits behind. Remember to dry fire and ..ummm ...come to Gibsonburg lol

Hope to see all of you soon one the trail on the line.

PB

Ishy

This is the Mad Minute Drill.  Notice the almost non-existent white sliver of white left behind on the targets.   :~  Dad said this one drill alone cost him twenty bucks in ammo.  :'(

I'm new to this photobucket thing Meanstreaker told me about.  I hope it copied alright.

Ishy

MeanStreaker

QuoteDad said this one drill alone cost him twenty bucks in ammo.

Hehehe... now THAT'S funny!

And I still say it's a tie. :)
--Thomas Paine

LayloPro

And I still say it's a tie

Heh!

MS, Shoot Boss has final say........ O0 <:) O0

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

MeanStreaker

LLP, I'm not being all touchy-feely-let's-give-everyone-a-trophy-we're-all-special...

No Sir.

I gathered the Instructors and we honestly couldn't come to a decision. :)
--Thomas Paine

DryFire

What an amazing weekend!!!! I can't even being to sum it up. Slim you tell quite the story there, you are indeed one of those people who whether you are expressing yourself in print or in voice can make someone feel like they are really there.  O0 I don't know if I can add anything to what has already been said, as Slim said you can't have a better weekend than one spent with your friends on a firing line.

Speaking of Slim, the first man I meet involved in the Appleseed Project, you have had that red hat coming for a long time, Huzahhhhhhh.  :~ I am glad to have been present for your receiving that red hat. With any luck perhaps you can be the man to hand me mine someday. As far as your suggestion of another name change I think I will keep this one for now, how can I pass up a name given by none other than The Guy? On the other hand you teach me more about the AR platform I have and I will be glad to show you some of those MacGyver skills. As far as the comment on the Eley ammo now that you have smelled it you too can impress your buddies the next time you recognize it ;) My wife was oh so impressed by your displaying the American Flag from the back of my pick up truck she says it was very reminiscent of Washington crossing the Delaware.

The dangerous family, I never got to spend much time with you all back in April in Athens but this weekend getting to spend time with you all, from the youngest to the oldest was amazing. RedNekEngr you have a wonderful family and I can only hope to raise my children half as well as you and the Dangerous Mom have done. You two may have to give me and my wife some hints some day. Lyberty and Ishy you two are a dangerous couple of ladies, but your brother and sister aren't far behind and when they get there it will be a good competition. Ishy your telling of the history both Friday night and Saturday was awesome, you could feel the passion you have for the history and it really hits home when you put that passion behind it.

On the other shooters to see Sitting Bull make that rifleman score from the sitting position was impressive indeed and with the hasty sling at that. Now Sitting Bull didn't get his patch until Sunday but he was already seventh stepping Saturday night by bringing his son in law with him on Sunday. For Lightbulb and Mouse to get their patches was awesome, they worked and worked and finally persevered and made the grade. Mouse I look forward to working a line with you some day. It was also great to see PDave bring his wife with him on Sunday, too bad she out shot him but it happens.  ;D Mitch, Nadia, and others whose names I can't remember it was a pleasure to spend a great couple of days with you all and for those that haven't made it yet, practice that dry firing at home and getting into those positions and it will come to you. Then you can come out again and get that patch.

Well I guess I did have a thing or two to add, and of course I can't thank Meanstreaker enough for his guidance and leadership on the line and off of it. I feel privileged to work the line with the men and women of Appleseed I can't think of a finer bunch of people.

DryFire
"I believe there is great need for such a book, a book which will help to make us again what we were a century ago before commercialism and life in cities robbed our young men of most of their primitive virtues -- a Nation of Rifleman.
Maj. Townsend Whelen
The American Rifle

RedNekEngr

Wow!!!!! What a weekend!  I can't begin to articulate like Slim, Dryfire, Posterboy, and Meanstreaker.  Man, what a honor to work with such awesome Americans.  It was great to meet Luna and get reaquainted with Paladin.  I'll tell you what, my heart has always been with Kentucky since that was where I was born, raised, and went to college, but my dear friends, I can't imagine anyone having the passion and desire to see this great land return to its roots like my colleagues here in Ohio. 

Dinky, I sure wish you had been with us instead of visiting our friends on the left coast.  You were greatly missed.  But Meanstreaker and Slim never missed a beat.  My kids love these two men dearly and already think of them like uncles.  These two men, The Guy, and my good friend Wildcat are the main reasons we are involved with Appleseed.  I'm already excited about the upcoming AS in Athens.  After all, I've got two more on the line without patches. ;)  I got a feeling that Slim's going to be shaking at least one more hand and posing in a picture with another D.O.F. member.  By the way, we've had one for every AS we've attended thus far. O0

As for Dryfire changing his name to MacGyver -- What about Batman?   :)  I mean this guy was pulling equipment from everywhere.  I was expecting him to don a cape.

God Bless and see you on the trail.
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

LayloPro

LLP, I'm not being all touchy-feely-let's-give-everyone-a-trophy-we're-all-special...

**) **) **) **) **) **) **) :))

Mean, you are gonna make me cruise back out to the family farm(s) (Deer Creek/Williamsport) just to show you all that being born & raised a -native- Californian sure doesn't mean we are -all- "bent like that"....... ++) **) :)) **)

That "every bodies a winner, no one actually lost here" kinda dookie started about the time folks stopped drag racing......cuz in -that- sport, you lose half the turkey's in the first round...... >:D ^-^

Now, if you were able to not come to a decision on which target was better, that's ok.....just have 'em reload, and do another round of it...... >:D O0

You guys had a really safe, fun shoot, and your RM numbers are kicking butt.......I asked Dinky if you guys were setting up your steak orders at Casa de FunFaler already, because he really got the short end of -that- bet back earlier this year......

And he thought nobody else was paying attention...... **) &) **) &) **) %)

You guys are rocking!!

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

lightbulb

This was the best weekend I've had all year.
And that's saying a lot.  The previous week I graduated from college and started a new job with a contractor for the DoD.

I'm short on time because I'm posting from work.  But I did have a chance to upload all the photos I took here: http://mvsg.mytedium.com/v/firstAppleseed/.

Once the chaos of the new job settles down this Winter and I'm able to get out of working weekend shifts, I plan on getting more involved with the project.

Big thanks to the Miamisburg crew, RWVA, and all Appleseed supporters,
lightbulb / Brandon

lightbulb

Highlights from my photos are below:

-lightbulb

MeanStreaker

Thanks for the pics Brandon.  And remember folks, there were no centerfires on these teams.  Only .22.

It felt like I was looking at these for 10 minutes, even though it was just a minute or two.   ;D

"Team Three has a tighter group all around, but the mission was to get rid of as much star as possible.  Hmmmm."

"Team Two has a couple more points of the star remaining...... but the white area showing on both seems to be congruent.  A star's point is a triangle, so its area is   1/2 (b*h)..."

"SHOOT BOSS SAYS IT'S A TIE!!!  Let's go shoot!"

**)
--Thomas Paine

Luna

Awesome weekend.  The caliber of people who attend the events is impressive. 

What an honor to meet and enjoy the company of the Dangerous Family, Americans who truely know what they are about.  Not only do the young Americans of that family set a shining examples for others, they set the pace.  I have heard, in conversations around the fire, that we want famous, influential Americans to attend Appleseed events.  I believe we already have, they just haven't graduated high school yet. 

Slim, contrats on the Red Hat.  Your passion is contagious and your influence obvious.  I look forward to working with you on the trail. 

Thank you Meanstreaker and fellow IIT's for helping me advance in my training.  I look forward to working with you as we "help save this country".

I can't wait for the next event.