News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Virginia Instructor social

Started by VAshooter, August 31, 2009, 12:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAshooter

First of all, I would like to thank Stimey and Crashkid2K for working at the Ramseur RBC while the rest of us played.

A large contingent of Virginia Appleseed Instructors gathered at St Johns Church at 1 PM on Sunday the 30th of August. We were there to see a re-enactment of portions of the Virginia Second Congress culminating in Patrick Henry giving his "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech. St John's Church was built in the 1750's and, being the largest building in Richmond at the time, was the location selected for the gathering of representatives from around Virginia to determine the course of action to be taken in those uncertain times.

The Church holds about 350 people and it was close to capacity as we filed in and took our seats. We were first treated to some organ music on the churches restored organ. There were about fourteen actors, all dressed in period costume and 'in character' as they came in and took their seats among the guests. We were encouraged to respond with Here Here! if a delegate said something we approved of and we all got to vote on the resolutions on the floor. The arguments were spirited and the actors were very good. I think everyone felt as if they were part of the political debate. Col. Washington was a very imposing figure and Patrick Henry was a small and intense firebrand who did his best to dominate the proceedings. All in all, the event was inspiring  and I highly recommend  your attending this event if you are in Richmond, VA in the summertime. It is held every Sunday between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  Free tickets are handed out at the door at 1 PM.

We all regrouped at a local restaurant for a meal and talk at the conclusion of the re-enactment. I'm not sure which was better but as a whole the day was close to perfect. Even an argument with my GPS on the way to the restaurant couldn't spoil it for me.

VAshooter

jmdavis

It indeed was a perfect day. Good food. Good company. And, a spirited reenactment.

Getting home last night I began to read the book that I bought at St. Johns "Patrick Henry in is Speeches and Writings" by James Elson. In the book, I learned that Virginia's Royal Governor (Lord Dunmore) ordered the powder (15 half barrels) at Williamsburg to be seized by Royal Marines on the night of April 20th. Other sources show that it was then secured on the schooner "Magdalen" in  the James River. On the 22nd, it was moved to the Sloop "Liberty" and taken to Hampton Road.

The Hanover Militia led by Patrick Henry began the march to Williamsburg to retake the powder. While the powder was not returned they did obtain a letter of exchange (cheque) for the value of the powder from the King's Receiver General, Richard Corbin. Lord Dunmore accused Henry of Treason and extortion on May 6th 1775 and issued a Proclamation against Henry and the Hanover Militia.

The news of Concord and Lexington reached Williamsburg on April 29th and Richmond on the 30th.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner