News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Braford, Florida August 29-30,2009

Started by PHenry, August 31, 2009, 06:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Sweat + Peristance + Grit = 211
As ItsanSKS and I pulled into the Bradford's Sportsman's Farm early Saturday morning, we were greeted by a sight that would put a grin on any shoot boss' face - a gaggle of bright orange RWVA instructor hats bobbing about in the distance!

As I exited my Ford, I could see west151precinct and SgtJoker who had assisted in putting up the target line and shade canopies to shield the shooters from the unforgiving Florida sun the day before. Also in attendance were the "Parramore Gang", made up of Willorith, Madam Yotnottin, paulrbrown, and Buckshot - AKA: "Gimpy" (foot in soft cast)- a finer bunch of Americans would be hard to find.

All of us were eager to pass along the traditions to yet another group of attendees. The stage was set for a great event!

We all headed out to the BSF's 600 yard range to await the attendees. Shortly after our arrival, 13 fine Patriots arrived. Some familiar faces - John, Terry and Steph, Doug, Rob, Clinnon, and Larry as well as some new ones - we even had Florida Representative Charles VanZant (http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/SEctions/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4444&SessionId=64)  in attendance, who came to watch his son Daniel shoot. All were eager to be immersed in the marksmanship pool and learn the ways of the Founders, who were masters of their muskets! Sure feels good to spend a weekend surrounded by men and women who care about their country and their heritage.  O0

They came for a chance at a Rifleman's patch and some history - Ryan drove six hours to attend. Were they "super heroes"? Were they rich and famous? No, they were just regular folks. What sets them apart from the crowd is that they were willing to sacrifice a weekend and brave the heat and humidity of an August day in Florida for Liberty's sake.

After all had signed in, we discussed safety and line commands until all present were able to recite them on command. A short opening speech and the First Strike of the Match, then it was off to their vehicles to retrieve their rifles and bring them to the line in a safe condition. We cleared the line and posted Hits Count targets, or "Red Coats" as we call them.

The Red Coats targets showed that there was much room for improvement and so we all began to sweat out some much needed marksmanship education - literally.  Proper prone position and the steady hold factors. The six steps of firing the shot - a time honored and proven method that dates back nearly a century. NPOA and Rifleman' cadence - was there no end to it? The sun did its best to stop these Patriots, but they would have none of it - not a one would give up!

Representative VanZant had prior obligations and was forced to leave us, but offered a few words of encouragement prior to departing. He assured us that he personally respected the Second Amendment and the ideals of the Founders.  He encouraged us to look into his voting record. I responded that I could tell just by his presence that I would be pleased with what I found!

After lunch and the Second Strike, we moved into Rifleman's cadence and Sitting position. The heat was on, but still the persistent attendees would not quit! They learned the final position - standing and then it was time for the storied AQT - time to see who had a Rifleman trapped inside! Owing to the heat and a rather extended lunch break - we were only able to get two AQTs in on Saturday and nary a Rifleman was revealed. Still, all in all, it were a good day and perhaps after some rest, we'd do better on Sunday.

Everyone arrived on time on Sunday and we got right to shooting the morning Red Coat. With plenty of hydration and much determination we pushed ahead as hard as we dared in the unrelenting heat - everyone anxious to get another crack at that seemingly impossible Rifleman score. By this time there were several knocking on the Rifleman's door - Steph with a score of 195 and her husband Terry, who had suffered not one, but two LTR meltdowns was now hammering the AQT with his trusty AR and a can full of reloaded .223. John was getting closer an closer. Clinnon had gone from scores too low to mention right up to 180 as I recall.

What little cloud cover there had been earlier was gone and the heat was taking its toll on attendees and instructors alike. About 2:PM on Sunday a completed AQT was handed to me that showed a score of 211. The shooter was completely unaware of his achievement (those sneaky instructors!). After I gave the Benediction speech, I pulled out a Rifleman patch and held it up for all to see. What's this - I said. A Rifleman's patch looking for a person to wear it! "Larrry, come on up!" He was grinning from ear to ear. It meant a lot to him - this was his third event and he just would not say die. He persisted and employed the lessons learned and on his third try - he made it! Congrats Larry - it couldn't have gone to a better person.

Larry is now planning to attend the IBC at Hernando in late September and then stepping up to become an instructor. I know he'll make a fine addition to the Florida team. At this event he knew the answer to every question the instructor's asked. He is helpful and always positive - a pleasure to be around. I'll look forward to working at his side in the near future.

While there were some others that came so close, they didn't quite make it - this time. With persistence and perfect practice, dry firing at home with a safe rifle - I know they will get that patch at their next event.

There were three women at this event - none of them teenagers. They stuck it out right to the end - same as any man on the line. Maybe it's wrong of me to say so, but I was impressed with their grit. I know from whence it comes, as they descend from a long line of strong women who have traditionally excelled at doing precisely that which they were told could not be done. My red hat is off to Steph, Clinnon and Lisa - you girls have grit!  O0

I could not have asked for a better bunch - despite the heat, not a disparaging word was heard. The BSF took great care of us and is considering expanding the range we were on allowing a longer line for more shooting positions. I met co-owner AL and also Barbara and they are great people. I look forward to returning to this venue and seeing all of those who attended again, hopefully along with their neighbors, friends, family and co-workers too!

Many thanks to all the attendees and to my fellow instructors, without whom this simply would not have happened. I stand in your debt.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ItsanSKS

If the Florida heat couldn't force these fine patriots to give up their dreams of earning a Rifleman's badge, I don't think anything would have been able to.  The determination of our Florida Patriots could have been measured by the amount of sweat that had soaked into their shooting mats by noon.   

With almost a 1:2 instructor to student ratio, we all had high hopes for 'churning out Rifleman by the dozen"... Alas, it was not to be.  Equipment malfunctions and oppressive heat stacked the deck against us, though one Rifleman decided to show himself at the last minute- just as PHenry was ready to send his hat back to Fred, Larry decided to pull out all the stops and shot a 211.  Congratulations, Larry- the Path to becoming a Rifleman is not an easy road, with many bumps and bruises along the way, and 'The Badge' is merely a pit-stop along the way.  I look forward to working with you in the near future, and have a slightly used Orange Hat that I think would fit you quite nicely.  Maybe someday you'll be able to fool an attendee in the same manner in which you were deceived.  You have no idea how hard it was to keep a straight face as I told you that you had only shot a 209... "If you had only TRIPLE CHECKED your NPOA..."

The Brave Women of April 19th, 1775 would have been proud of the determination shown by our female attendees, with each of them persisting through the whole weekend, and making great progress, to boot!  Put those six steps into practice, dry fire by the numbers, and I'm sure we'll be badging the lot of you at the next event. 

Ryan drove six hours to this event, from Pensacola, to shoot a Mosin-Nagant 91/30, and was perfectly content with the monstrous recoil, mind-boggling muzzle-blast,  and a spectacular report.  After toughing out half the day with the "boom-stick", a sticky bolt finally convinced him to acquiesce to an instructor's offer of a LTR.  All attendees present thanked him- that Mosin is one LOUD rifle!  Scrub out the chamber as we discussed, and you should have no further problems with the bolt seizing up like that. 

The canopies provided by our illustrious Shoot Boss PHenry, made the Florida sunshine tolerable, though the humidity was doing its level best to sap the resolve from our shooters.  None succumbed though, I am happy to report.  There is a reason this is called the Sunshine State, and she lived up to her name this weekend. 

With such a wonderful facility, supportive staff, and a co-owner that is 100% behind the program, I can see this venue becoming a regular stop on the Appleseed Trail. 

Many thanks go out to the range staff, instructor corps, and the wonderful attendees that made this weekend possible- without your persistence, determination, and a love for liberty that knows no bounds, this young Floridian would have been relegated to couch-lounging.. Instead, I was given the honor of assisting 13 patriots in their aspirations to attain 'Rifleman' status.  A better way to spend the weekend doesn't exist!

-ItsAnSKS
Florida State Coordinator
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

UncleSeth

I had a great time at the Appleseed in Bradford. I met some great people. I'm disappointed I didn't get a rifleman badge but plan on fixing that with some perfect practice on all the targets phenry(thanks) gave me to take home(and of course several more visits to future appleseeds). I'll see what I can do to get some set up here in the panhandle. I can think of about four ranges that I plan on going to to see if they'll let us set one up. Thanks to all the instructors who spent so much time with myself and others teaching us how to be riflemen. All the attendees were excellent people and I'm glad to have met them.

UncleSeth aka "Ryan"

Sgt Joker

It was quite fun to get back into the AS program and great to see the smiles and cheers as the shooting improved. PHenry and ItsanSKS do Florida proud with their hard work and dedication and are truly patriots! The rest of the orange hats will be hard pressed to live up the example these two set but it appears we will try along with Larry! It was a unique honor that State Rep Van Sant let the Bradford Appleseed be the place where his son would graduate from a BB gun to a rifle and fire his first rifle shots. I look forward to seeing everyone on the AS trail in the future.   

Tru Trak

My word you make me blush! Yep, It's the afformentioned Larry from the Bradford shoot. I just have to say I had not visited this site before and to find my name mentioned by such Patriots as those here like PHENRY and ITSANSKS humble me to my soul. All I can say Is thank you for taking time from your life and giving to me the opportunity to learn something as precious as the history and the ability to do something that took three tries to accomplish. I am looking forward to becoming more involved in the Applseed Project and getting to spend more time with some of the real Patriots in this country. Thanks also to the rest of the "Orange Hats" that were also so eager to make us all Riflemen. You guys were Great! Being my third time at an Appleseed Event I got to see myself the way I was at my first one in the folks that were actually there for the first time. It is a great feeling to finally record 211, but the journey I got to take seems like a very long one. This is due to the amount I learned in those three events. It seems like it would longer to explain all aspects of the whole experience than it would to explain my first twenty years of life. Oh, by the way, did someone say it was hot in Florida in August? I hadn't noticed.

Reserved behavior may take longer to make a first impession...........
But will always beat the rushed alternative.

Reserved behavior may take longer to make a first impression, but will always beat the rushed alternative.

PHenry

TT,
Welcome aboard sir! Grab a bucket - the water is rushing in!  O0

I have just sent a PM to Savage Shooter asking her to place the September Mini-IBC on the schedule. Should you care to attend, you will soon be able to pre-reg on EventBrite.

We have a lot a sleeping citizens to awaken in 2010 and we will need men of your character to do it.

Many thanks for kind words,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

panhead

Howdy

PH, you have an incoming PM regarding above mentioned IBC.
But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred