News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Raton, New Mexico August 15-16, 2009 NRA Whittington Center

Started by TaosGlock, August 20, 2009, 01:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

Once again, Lady Liberty delivered up more great Americans, all eager to learn their heritage and the
foundational rifle skills that helped win our freedoms. We even had shooters from California, Colorado and Texas join us!
Some lived just down the road and others came from various parts of our own state.

The NRA Whittington Center in Raton, New Mexico was the host for this event.
27 shooters were signed up according to Eventbrite.

This prestigious range is host to many worldwide events.  Just 10 minutes from town, it is located right on the historic Santa Fe Trail.
The SFT originally linked routes followed by American Indians and Frontiersmen, developing into the most important trade conduit in the United States.
The trail eventually played a critical role in the westward expansion of the United States after the Revolutionary War.

And this past weekend we honored those who took the first strides to make this great nation. To remember them is to honor them.

The first of our IIT's  al smith arrives to find his parking space occupied!

Next morning, the Land of Enchantment's high country was blessed with the usual New Mexican sunrise.
This is the view from the cabin with our DAR in view to the middle right.

Breakfast in the spacious cabins. ashrn03 "cooks" while al smith, twh731 and devnull anxiously await.

NM State Coordinator and IIT, twh731 opens the gate to get things underway for  the Aug. 15-16 Appleseed. This is our (DAR) Dedicated Appleseed Range!

ashrn03 got the flags up where they proudly fly amongst a background of cedar and juniper covered slopes.
These flags are a symbol of the sacrifices that were made to give us our Nation..

BlueFeather and devnull start the admin table and discuss strategy for the days big event.

The shooters listen with awe as ashrn03 discusses the Redcoat target and then does a muzzleloader demo, April 19th style!
The Minutemen did not stand up on Punkatasset Hill quoting Locke to the Redcoats.
They marched down to Concord via the North Bridge and defended their liberties with calculated rifle fire.

A 70+ caliber hole is huge! Imagine facing British lead and steel with your musket, which is only effective to 75 yards.
One in which you can only fire one shot every 15 seconds. Then imagine facing 300 troops like John Parker did on Lexington green.
After your first shot, those bayonets will be on you before you can even reload. 
There were no guarantees on April 19th.

twh731 and al smith instruct the loop sling and steady hold factors for the prone position to a most attentive group.

Pam, then puts their instruction to good use.

Long Rifle explains parts of the the 6 steps to firing the shot with his "human trigger" demo prop.

BobABQ and al smith demo sitting position. The sitting position is the most varied and sometimes hardest position to master. 

Long Rifle uses visual props to demonstrate the Rifleman's Standard of 4MOA during his IMC demo.

More to follow....
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Redchrome

TaosGlock

What a great group of persistent shooters! Our founders would be proud.
  We are constantly amazed at the generosity of our people, the diversity of our culture and the gorgeous scenery.
  New Mexico truly is: the Land of Enchantement.
  It was an honor to work with everyone! Thanks!

Here are some more pics:

Ball and Dummy drills are used to detect and cure shooting problems. We tell shooters "learn today and teach tomorrow."
  But their tomorrow was today!  Shooters often produce their tightest groups under the constant eye of their "coach".

Heritage was taught at lunch and BobABQ tells the story of the events on April 19th. Stories of bravery and courage often lacking in today's society.
  Here we stir that burning desire for Liberty and Freedom deep within every American we can reach... telling our founders story.
  If we stir enough souls, we can, to paraphrase John Adams, win the "hearts and minds" of Americans.

Long Rifle as Line Boss during the very grueling AQT sessions.

Cease Fire! Cease Fire! Cease Fire! Afterall, this is where the antelope roam.

BlueFeather and al smith explain transitions.

AQT's at the target line. Always the question here: how big is my group and where is my group? 

Riflemen of all ages attend Appleseeds. Willow (L) with her friends Claire...

...and Claire's  brother Jonathan.

They proudly show their targets. They shot every stage for the entire 2 days. They also camped out at night amongst
  the stars and furry beasts with dad, aka Walker, who is an IIT.
  They worked a lever action tube, a bolt gun and a semi-auto like pros.  Note the speed loaders. An AS standard issue.
  Congrats!

Jonathan, Willow and Claire

These young people are our Country's future.
  Never forget our nation's liberty has always been in control by "We the People".
  It rests upon the shoulders of "We the People", to not only preserve our heritage but to pass it on to future generations.

John Adams said:
"Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will  make   good use of it. "If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."

More to follow....
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

BlueFeather

BTW, Claire and Jonathan's dad is stationed in Iraq and will not be back until next June.  Walker is going to forward me his address so we can send him pictures and a note about his incredible kids.

We all wish him safe passage.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

BobABQ

Those three children were the best behaved, attentive, and serious youngsters I have seen in a long time. Their parents should be very proud.

TaosGlock

The long days of summer allowed us to shoot a bit longer. 
  We did the Sunday Benediction and then cleared the line. Many shooters were tired, others ready to leave for their long drives back.
  When asked, some shooters wanted a long range event.
  We set up a couple targets on the 200M line. One was representative of that distance and the other was reduced to simulate 400M.
  ashrn03 got us set up correctly.
  We had a Mosin Nagant 91/30, A Swedish mauser and a Ruger bolt action 223.

ashrn03 let everyone try his muzzleloader. Each student was instructed in the safe loading of a rifle similar to one used on April 19th.
  It was about last light we finally quit with this hardy group. Those big 70 caliber holes were easy to spot.

Monday, those students and instructors who were still around went to join us at the 500-1000M steel silhouette range.
  This particular range is a huge area with a lot of potential for Riflemen. This was really a more casual day and sort of a reward.
  We had a 1903 Springfield, an M1 Garand and 2 Swedish Mausers and a Mosin 91/30. All with stock military sights and original slings.

Upon arriving, the usual "bench rest hobby" shooters with their hi-power scopes were already doing their thing off the half ton concrete benches.
  We grabbed a couple bays, and quickly partnered up in shooter/spotter teams.
  Everyone shot everyone's rifle and made both 500 and 1000M shots on the steel White Buffalo.

BlueFeather spots for Long Rifle on the 1000M buff. Note the Swedes sight ladder!

al smith takes his turn with his Garand at the buff.

After getting off a couple sighter shots in prone, everyone proceeded to blow the 500M 4.5MOA rams off the rails on stations 7 to 11.
  The telephoto shows the rams are gone (except the staked rams) and the buff is a hurtin'. Applesed Riflemen at work.

After about 4 seconds or so you can hear the "pop" on the White Buffalo" thru electronic ears. Keep in mind the buff is 6x8MOA.

These real buffalo just down the road outside of NRAWC property were not amused.

Back at base camp, IIT, Sarducci a modern day DOM and a French and Indian War vet Navy/Coast Guard vet demos a period tomahawk.
   This was a weapon carried by many of the colonists and used extremely effectively.
  Sarducci's 43 years of martial arts make for some impressive demos on the Redcoat targets.

A final group shot minus a few:

All of our Instructors were overwhelmed by the focus and determination of these gallant Americans.
  Our Founders would be proud and our nation is stronger.
  It was an honor to work with all of you!

BlueFeather closes the gate for the last time on another successful New Mexico Appleseed.

We will see you all right here at the NRAWC, again on September 19-20!

al smith

It was an honor to spend time learning with the good folks that turned out for another great Raton, Whittington Center shoot.

It is a difficult thing to make time for citizenship. These folks did it.  Most improved dramtically.  All have the data, lessons and beginning skills to be riflemen soon. 

And hopefully those folks will acquire targets, join their local range, practice NPOA, 6 Steps, learn IMC by heart, shoot riflemen and then come back for the patch. And bring a few friends.  It is much more fun to shoot as a team.

Al Smith
roaster/appleseeder
al smith

BobABQ

I truly enjoyed myself and as a new "orange hat" I appreciate how supportive and helpful Bluefeather was as well as  all of the other instructors.

Thank you all.

twh731

Once again, nicely done!  TaosGlock has a real talent for AAR's.  And also I wish to thank alsmith for the fantastic coffee.  Alsmith is a coffee roaster and he treated all of us instructors to a bag of beans for our homes.  Thanks alsmith, and by the way it is great coffee.  I'll be needing some more soon!
I can't thank this NM group enough for all the hard work.  I appreciate the sacrifice in time, money, and wear and tear both physical and material.  This past AS at Whittington is just another fine example of each person applying his or her talents for the benefit of our great country.  Each instructor rose up to the call shouted out by their heart to save our nation and bring forth the traditions guaranteed by our Founders.  Some of us are nervous and pensive about trying to teach things that we ourselves have just learned.  We are starting to bring new untried stories about past exploits that we hope resonate in the hearts and souls of our new friends and riflemen and riflewomen.  TaosGlock and Bluefeather had a very "from the heart" talk about what it means to be an American then and now.  It was touching and you could tell that the attendees were taken in by their emotional and eloquent delivery.  Their verbage was unstumbling and easy language made our students see the truthfulness of what we, as Appleseeders, have been trying to tell them was valid in 1775 and is just as valid now.  When you watch the audience while the history is delivered in spoken word by someone who knows it and lives it, well it is just quite extraordinary.  We all do what we can, and some of us do, seemingly, more that we can.  Once again, I thank all of you instructors who helped make another NM AS a rousing success.  Thank you to Paul, Alan, and Al who travelled from out of state to help us out.  Tom
Appleseed is history in the re-making!