News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Clewiston, FL August 22/23/2009

Started by PHenry, August 24, 2009, 06:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

From 13 to 31 and back again!

Five instructors roll into a sleepy "sugar town" in southern Florida expecting 13 attendees only to find 31 good folks patiently awaiting their arrival at the Hendry County Sheriff's Range. Willorith and paulrbrown were the first of the RWVA staff to arrive, with DoubleLife, ItsanSKS and myself straggling in dead last. Doing a poor job of hiding my embarrassment for being late, my cohorts and I moved with a purpose to get this event in gear.

Whilst DoubleLife, Willorith and paulrbrown set up the target lines with great alacrity, ItsanSKS and I scrambled to get everyone checked in and "T-shirted". RangeMaster Bernie afforded us the range's large air conditioned class room for check in, the opening speech and the First Strike. Bernie proved to be of great help all weekend - many thanks sir.

By the time we all headed to the range, it were hot enough to send a snowbird running for his hotel room! It was clear that like a hard driven car with a leaky radiator, we'd need to keep adding water religiously all day long or risk damaging the engine.

This range has a fairly short, two-sided public line. An interesting configuration I have never seen before. It has a covered section running east / west, with ranges running north and south from it. Unfortunately, the covered line was set up with permanent shooting benches that precluded us from using its much needed shade, forcing us to set up the firing line in direct sun. We placed 20 shooters on the side with the tall berm and the rest, all 22s, on the side with the short berm for safety. Never having seen the official RWVA procedure for calling such a line (I am confident one is available to a better organized shoot boss) - we improvised to the best of our ability.

Expecting only 13 shooters, we had clearly underestimated the level of Patriotism in Clewiston FL. We would later learn that in addition to said Patriotism, Clewiston also has some very tenacious men, women and even children who persisted in the face of adversity right to the end. All of the instructors agreed that despite the oppressive heat, not a disparaging word was heard - not one.

I must also give proper kudos to the man who was the catalyst for this event, our most gracious and generous host, Hendry County Commissioner Karson Turner. Karson paid the entry fee for a number of attendees and also provided lunch both days. Would that my own county had a man like Karson - he is a model for what a public servant should be. Karson and his sweetheart Lisa also provided accommodations for five instructors in their own homes, making us feel most welcome. Thank you seems inadequate.

With a late start (Mea Culpa), and the reduced pace required by ambient temps that would make the devil himself feel right at home, it was obvious that my plan for the day would need some modifications if we were to get a crack at the storied AQT.

Shortly after the first Readcoat target the heat took its first victim - he was not to be the last. For thems not familiar with August in south-central Florida, "hot" is an utterly insufficient descriptor. "Steamy" comes close, but fails to properly conjur the broiling sensation that results from long-term exposure to the relentless Florida sun and by "long-term" - I mean in excess of 30 minutes. Well, enough about the heat - you git the picture.

We forged ahead with some demos on proper prone position and sling use, then shot some 1" squares. More demos and more squares. Then I did my best to confuse the shooters with math in public by teaching them IMC. No such luck, as these "Suthonas" are sharp as a gator's front teeth and quickly provided the correct answers to every question. Karson rang the lunch "bell" and all headed up the class room for a fine meal of BBQ and pizza. ItsanSKS gave the Second Strike and we all proceeded back to the range to maintain one of the fine traditions of our ancestors - marksmanship!

Rifleman's Cadence then 1" squares, Sitting and Kneeling then 1" squares, Transition to Sitting then 1" squares, Transition to Prone and more squares. The pace was a relentless as the heat (sorry - couldn't resist).

Using a trick I stole, er learnt from DragonWood we placed CAQTs side by side and began getting everyone used to the silhouettes and mag changes. Note: Magazines insert more easily when drenched in sweat.

By this time the line is thinner, but still plenty of Patriots were left working on the time-honored tradition of becoming a Rifleman. There were Jacko44 (very good shot and always brings lunch for 10), Ray, Andrew, Karson and his father Doyle (tough Southern Gentleman), Roger, Denise and Jonathan (the family that shoots together - stays together), Gunny (who worked hard to get the word out - way to go Gunny!) and his son, Rudy and Sylvia (much grit), Kevin and Mina, Hugh, Kenneth and Gage and many others that I am unable to recall by name - please forgive me.

With only the Standing demo remaining, it was looking like we might get a crack that that venerable AQT after all - huzaaah! But wait, not so fast - here comes the rain. A mere sprinkle at first, it soon became a cold and wind blown rain that had us all shivering in our nicely blossoming sunburns. As the rain were subsiding, I did my best to cover the Third Strike - note to self / need to study.

What seemed like a blessing, soon became a curse as the sun came back out and turnt the fresh rain into steam. All were treated to a south Florida "poor man's sauna". Now the real sweating begins! We pulled the CAQTs and posted the first AQT of the day.

Two AQTs later, nary a Riflemen was revealed although several showed real promise, including Ray with a score of 203 and Andrew with 180. By the time we posted the final Redcoat for the day, thirteen out of 31 shooters remained. Thirteen rounds and thirteen Patriots to honor thems that came before us.

Sunday came and to our pleasant surprise at least a dozen shooters had returned to once again face down the seemingly unbeatable AQT. After some reviews and lots of 1" squares, we headed out for lunch. While it was tasty, it was the longest lunch break in Appleseeds history - yikes! Pressed for time, we made our way back to the range with great haste to rejoin Roger, Denise, Jonathan, Kevin, Mina and paulrborwn who remained behind to watch the range.

Ball and Dummy was quickly followed by an AQT, which revealed our first and only Rifleman of the event - Ray. Way to go sir! I felt an enormous sense of relief knowing that my "job" had once again been saved. I feel certain that Fred would have my hat if I failed to produce at least one.  &) A second AQT and several were showing great promise including nine year old Jonathan, who's parents, Roger and Denise could scarcely contain their pride. He's a fine boy - clearly well reared.

In my benediction I felt compelled to mention how impressed I was personally with the persistence of those remaining and also that so many had turned out. A little town with a big heart - I will look forward to returning to Clewiston Florida for her warm, southern-style hospitality and to once agin be surrounded by men, women, and children who honor the sacrifice of the Founders with a bit of sacrifice of their own.

PHenry

The pictures are as follows:
The tall berm end
Our host Karson and his dad, Doyle
The Hatton family
Doyle, Lisa, and Rifleman Ray
RangeMaster Bernie and the short berm end

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

willorith

Each time I assist in the production of one of these events, I am humbled and gladdened by the wonderful character I find in my countrymen. These are people I am proud to help along the road of freedom, proud to stand beside in defense of our Constitution, proud to call my friends.

When I started messing around with Appleseed, I thought I would earn my Rifleman badge and then move on to other pursuits. Little did I know that appleseed would become one of the most gratifying activities in my life. After earning my 2 badges, I immediately put on an orange hat and began teaching my fellow citizens about freedom and marksmanship.

Paulrbrown and I faced a 3-1/2 hour drive Sunday evening to get back to Orlando. We were comforted along the way by the knowledge that we are an active part of the greatest nation ever to exist. Our weekends spent away from home are an investment in the future of our country. The good people we meet along the trail are the dividends payed out by our investment. The principal of this investment will grow through the years and  at maturity will yield a free country for our descendants to prosper in and hold dear. No other investment has ever been as sure, as safe, or as lucrative as investing our time in the freedom of our grandchildren. The free blood of our forefathers flows in our veins. We must honor that precious gift by passing it safely on to our our children and theirs. 

Most humble regards,
Willorith
We are but human.

SavageShootr

Great report.

Congratulations to all who attended, it is impressive to see so many great Americans come out and participate.

Congratulations to the newest Florida Rifleman.

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete