News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

We need a range in the center of the state

Started by MeanStreaker, August 11, 2009, 11:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanStreaker

Hey folks, the year is flying by!  While we should always be looking for new ranges everywhere, we desperately need one in the center of the state.  Can we all focus on looking around that area and seeing what is out there?
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Gordon

I've been thinking the same thing. Like, a bit north of Columbus? Delaware or Marion.

How does one attack such a problem?

Old Glory!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Gordon

Quote from: Old Glory! on September 20, 2009, 08:00:07 PM
http://www.traderscreek.com/gun_clubs/ohio.asp
:P

Well using that resource and similar, you can find a couple of ranges.

Meeker Sportsman's Club in Marion looks good. Except I think they only have one rifle range, and it would be a huge deal to get them to let us use it for a whole weekend. I did read one of Fred's posts where he indicated that you have to be ready to join the club and spend a few months establishing yourself as a good citizen before you can credibly make any request about Appleseed. Considering that  this Meeker club is a 90-min drive each way for me, that's a huge investment! Maybe that's what it takes.

There's this place called "Blackwing", looks like a real nice club complete with "pro-shop", etc., but it's closer in toward Columbus, less rifle range square footage, and I suspect even more impenetrable than Meeker.

And there's a public range run by the Ohio Div. Wildlife. I stopped by there lately, nice little public range but zero probability (and that math isn't fuzzy!) of reserving it for a weekend. *Maybe* available for a Mon-Tues. function. No good for us, right?

Maybe I should persist (there's that Rifleman ethic again!), but it does seem quite daunting. It seems like we'd do better if we found a sympathetic or like-minded individual with a nice piece of private land. I wonder how you find people like that ...

Anyhow, thanks for the reply and if you have any extra guidance on this let me know.

BaldDragn

I have some connections in Kenton that are interested. I promised them that if they could get me a location early next year I would cover the cost of their admission. I will check back with them and see if we have made any progress.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

BaldDragn

I have an interested land owner in Dola OH.

No berm yet but willing to talk with us about having an appleseed.

Please PM me if you want to pursue this.

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

MeanStreaker

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Gordon

Quote from: BaldDragn on September 21, 2009, 12:42:54 AM
I have an interested land owner in Dola OH.

No berm yet but willing to talk with us about having an appleseed.

Great, let's build a berm! By the way, how do you build a berm?

Seriously, it seems to me that there's a chance here for a Dedicated Appleseed Range. Maybe a good chance, maybe a slim chance, but worth looking into.

-FM.

slim

Quote from: FuzzyMath on September 21, 2009, 04:10:40 PMGreat, let's build a berm! By the way, how do you build a berm?
My Uncle gave me this little folding shovel.....

BaldDragn

I talked to Steamer (my friend in Kenton) no chance of getting him to the Appleseed this weekend (no one to watch the kids) but he's making plans for Nov 7-8 Miamisburg.

SAPPER STEEL!

MeanStreaker

Outstanding.  I'm SB'ing Miamisburg in Nov.  Thanks!
--Thomas Paine

sixgunsal

Mean Streaker,
                          My friend Rocky ( Rifleman @ canton 10-08) has 50 acres in Hocking County with a nice little 25m range. Might need some widening to get 20 people though.  Call Rocky at 740-332-8046 and tell him Gene refferred You. Dinky might have been there already , but I am not sure. His concern naturally is liability, but appleseed provides insurance if I am not mistaken.
                                                                                                                                 Gene Salvino  (sixgunsal )