News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Help Making a Decision

Started by Gumballhead, August 06, 2009, 12:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumballhead

Hi all,  I'm new to this forum, and have been doing my research.  I need some input from other members to help me make a decision.  I placed an order with the CMP the other day for a service grade SA Garand, and after some reading, I saw the special service grade rifles offered in the north store.  I'm trying to decide if I should make the 5-6 hour drive from Chicago to pick up one of these special service grade rifles, or simply wait it out for my regular service grade order to be filled.

I certainly would like the experience of picking out my rifle, and I don't mind the drive.  I suppose my concern is whether or not there will still be "special" service grade rifles in stock Saturday (8/8), and and if I would gain anything significant with a special service grade model.

I'm also interested in purchasing larger bulk .30-06 ammo, from what I understand, is only for sale in the store.  I plan to call the store directly tomorrow as well, but any input from others will be appreciated.

Thanks!

ksuguy

I just got a special grade yesterday.  Looks great,  like a brand new rifle.   Didn't come with the leather sling though, those are supposed to be back ordered.  You can order the ammo online, my 10 cans were delivered today. It will take 3 months to get it, and you have to pay for shipping.  If you pick it up there, you can save a little money.

I'd just give them a call before you leave and ask if they have specials on the rack.  From what I've read on the CMP forum, they usually have at least a few out all the time.   

douglas34474

IIRC, the Special service grade has new wood. The standard Service Grade should have a GI stock. I believe the rifle itself (the steel) is graded the same. Service Grade rifles are in a condition that they are suited for issue to troops to go overseas. I doubt that they will ever be reissued, it just speaks to the quality of the rifle.

It's really up to you. I don't mind a few beauty marks on my rifle. It's part of the history of my little bit of history.  O0

A trip the the "Store" is like a trip to Mecca; everyone should do it ounce in their life time.

ksuguy

Oh you are talking about the new special service grades.  That's not the same thing as the special grade like I have.  I wish I lived close enough to one of the stores to drive.  I'll probably be near the South one in a few months and I'm definitely going to make a stop. 

hawkeye

Worse case the service grade will shoot just fine. Make sure you disassemble it and clean all the cosmoline from the working parts, trigger group ,bolt ect... Dupage trading has stocks for $80.00 if the stock looks really bad. Their stocks will fit without much work. If later on you want a better barrel ,that's easy to have replaced. CMP is the best deal going weather you mail order or go to the store. I've ordered 18 Garands from them and have always got my moneys worth,you can add a sticky to your order for a certain serial number range such as ww2 and they will try to find one. Good luck
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Ashes

I just saw that message on the CMP forums as well. If you can get out there, I'd call ahead and do it. ;)

Gumballhead

Thanks for the thoughts!  I'm calling today to make sure they have what I need, and then I'll make the pilgrimage!

DuaneRN

I don't know about the North store but the South store is a shopping experience.  Meaning expect to spend 4 hours at a minimum.  Also at the SOuth store, I thought I would save some money by buying the ammo there and not paying shipping until I found out about 7 percent sales tax.  It was only a savings of 1 percent over mail order.

Mark D

Quote from: douglas34474 on August 06, 2009, 01:25:35 AM
IIRC, the Special service grade has new wood. The standard Service Grade should have a GI stock. I believe the rifle itself (the steel) is graded the same. Service Grade rifles are in a condition that they are suited for issue to troops to go overseas. I doubt that they will ever be reissued, it just speaks to the quality of the rifle.

It's really up to you. I don't mind a few beauty marks on my rifle. It's part of the history of my little bit of history.  O0

A trip the the "Store" is like a trip to Mecca; everyone should do it ounce in their life time.

The special grade has a new barrel as well.

Gumballhead

These are "special":
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73758

"There were two full racks of SA "Special Service" rifles selling for $795. These rifles have a new CMP stock and new stock metal, but the rest of the rifle is a post war SA with a correct barrel, bolt, op-rod, and trigger group."

I'll be calling shortly to make sure they still have stock.  Either way, sounds like a worthwhile trip, and one I'm sure to make over and over again.  5 Hours in a car is no big deal for an opportunity like this  :~

mtime7

I have ordered garands through the mail but was mach happier with what i picked out at the south store..
I have been able to get VG condition service grade for $595 with DOD mark, nice not much use Augusta Arsenal rebuild carbines,
and my prized 1903a3.. Go to the store and pick it yourself U will always be satisfied.

Gumballhead

I'm officially going!  I called up to see what they had on the floor, and was told they have about 40 rifles on the floor, with another 40 in the back for the special service grade models.  I'm definitely going to take some time, and look throug their stock of field grades as well, no telling what you may find! ::) Seems like all the ammo they have in stock is the bandoleer packs, but I was ordering those anyhow, so i'll pick some up.  Can't have a rifle going hungry now.

Now I can't wait until Saturday!! :D

Mark D

Quote from: IL Rifleman on August 06, 2009, 12:24:26 PM
These are "special":
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73758

"There were two full racks of SA "Special Service" rifles selling for $795. These rifles have a new CMP stock and new stock metal, but the rest of the rifle is a post war SA with a correct barrel, bolt, op-rod, and trigger group."

I'll be calling shortly to make sure they still have stock.  Either way, sounds like a worthwhile trip, and one I'm sure to make over and over again.  5 Hours in a car is no big deal for an opportunity like this  :~

Well...what do you know?  I didn't know that they had different grades/models labelled "special."  I was referring to the RM1SPECIAL in my post.  Thanks for clarifying.

Gumballhead

I was surprised too.  Looks like the offers online are for everyone, and those orders are filled first, and that stock is reserved.  From all the descriptions, seems like they have refurbed some service grade rifles, and have them for sale in lieu of any service grade models in the store.  I can't wait to see them in person.  I just hope I have the discipline to not go crazy, and buy them all!  I'll be sure to get some pictures up when I get back.

mtime7

You also might want to have them shiped back to your state if coming frome anouther to save on sales tax on the rifles, ammo is usually more expensive to ship from store.

Gumballhead

Thats a good idea - save the sales tax on the big dollar item.  Anything else I should be sure to do/check out?

douglas34474

Not sure if it's important too you, but check the back of the chamber area. If it is 'in the white', not parkerized, the rifle has not been refinished.

Another would be lock bar rear sights. These were original WW2.

Have fun. Just don't drool too much on those you leave behind. **)

Douglas

panhead

Be cautious, they say Garanditis is very real and strikes without warning  <:)

CMP is a top notch chance to own and live history.

I have never been to either store, but I did include a request with my mail order (2005) for a rifle to acknowledge the service of my dad and father in law, Korean era and WWII vets respectively. I left it at that and hoped for the best.

CMP is "luck of the draw" on what they send...says so in the catalog  >:D

I got a real nice shootin SA SG - receiver July 1941 with a Korean era barrel. If I never buy or acquire another rifle, I will die happy with this one owning me.

Outstanding program and volunteers, just like Appleseed.

But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

Gumballhead

Yeah - I can see how dangerous this can get.  I may have to pick up an extra one for my father...can never have too many toys, can we?

Reveille

When are you leaving?  I have been looking for people to road trip with.  Reveille.
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

mtime7

If you ask at the counter they will usually loan a bore gauge. If you go for a rack or feild grade this will speed up the picking process which can take hours and hours depending on enventory..
Good luck, it has always been a great trip for me..

Gumballhead

Hi everyone,

Made the trip sat - long day.  Left at 6am, home at midnight.  Some good stops along the way, and ended the day at 3 Floyds for a cold gumballhead!!  CMP was great, and here are some shots of the newest member of my family:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7535151@N05/sets/72157621996304802/

Thanks again to everyone who suggested making the trip.  The staff was more than helpful, and the ability to select my own rifle was great.  The whole process was really fast, after choosing the rifle, it took only about 20 minutes to check out.

I've also added the 2 targets we shot today. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7535151@N05/sets/72157621996304802/ 

This rifle is truly amazing.  On my second target I adjusted my sights, grouping 8 shots in the center.  My second clip was only 4 rounds, all grouped in the upper left.  The rifle tube was only 75', but with what I learned in my appleseed, it was NO PROBLEM staying on target!  The only downside, was I bought some surplus ammo, and Bass Pro only allows soft/hollow point ammo, so I had to break down and buy a couple of boxes of Remington.

Kyle

mtime7

what is the grade of that nice rifle? do the numbers match?

Gumballhead

This is what they identified as service grade special.  They only had a few left by the time i got there.  From what I can tell, the majority of the parts are "SA", but serial numbers to not match.  Its a great investment, so glad I made the trip!

Garand69

Great to hear you made the trip, just be forewarned, M1 Garands can be quite addictive!

As for matching numbers. I wouldn't pay much attention to that for a few reasons.

1st, the only place that has a serial number is the Receiver. The rest of the numbers stamped on the parts of the rifle have absolutly nothing to do with the serial number, so they will not match in any way. The only info that you will get out of the other numbers is the manufactor, the drawing number and sometimes a month/year of that part.

2nd, the vast majority of M1's had a visit with the armorer at least once. I once seen a pic of a GI sitting in front of a stack of M1 Garands high enough and wide enough to fill the entire backgrond of the picture. Then there was a barrels and buckets full of solvent full of parts. One was all barreled receivers, one was all op rods, etc etc etc  These rifle rarely received the same parts they left the factory with after they left the armorer

3rd, I have a brand new complete trigger group, that I personally removed from the unopened tube that it was stored in. It is put together with parts from three different manufactures. So how many rifles do you think left the factory with mis-match parts? A lot actually, depending on parts availability, the manufactors would help each other out.

So what this all boils down to is this, all that really matters for a Rifleman, is the the rifle is Rack Grade or better, the op rod and gas cylinder are in servicable condition, and you have plenty of surplus ammo on hand.

As for commercial ammo in the M1.

Try not to make a habit out of it. The weak link of the M1 Garand is the Operating Rod. The incorrect ammo can bend the op rod. You will hear the full spectrum of opinions on this, so I going to keep this simple, stick with Surplus Ball ammo or use a reload specifically designed for the M1 Garand. If you are going to shoot indoors and need a non-fmj bullet,  contact J.Papineau via PM and he can set up up with some quality cast lead bullets that will work in your M1
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Gumballhead

Thanks for the advice - I got a really, really nice rifle from the guys at the CMP.  It shoots like a dream.  I cant wait for the weekends now, when I can get out, and run some lead through it!

I've got a nice stash of surplus m2, and as long as I'm outside, or at an Appleseed, i'm good.  I did buy an adjustable gas plug, and i think i'm dialed in OK to use commercial ammo now.  I like the the idea of using some handcrafted loads though, and i'm certainly going to be sending him a note soon.

PS - I'm trying hard to get another appleseeder out with me soon, maybe to the labor day event!  I just need to steal him a rifle!

Garand69

Quote from: Gumballhead on August 17, 2009, 05:05:23 PM
Thanks for the advice - I got a really, really nice rifle from the guys at the CMP.  It shoots like a dream.  I cant wait for the weekends now, when I can get out, and run some lead through it!

I've got a nice stash of surplus m2, and as long as I'm outside, or at an Appleseed, i'm good.  I did buy an adjustable gas plug, and i think i'm dialed in OK to use commercial ammo now.  I like the the idea of using some handcrafted loads though, and i'm certainly going to be sending him a note soon.

PS - I'm trying hard to get another appleseeder out with me soon, maybe to the labor day event!  I just need to steal him a rifle!

Labor Day Weekend in Illinois is well covered, We have not one but TWO 3-Day Shoots that weekend, Ottawa and Chillicothe!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz