News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR FOR ENFIELD, NH, AUG. 1-2, 2009

Started by Firewall99, August 04, 2009, 05:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewall99

Shoot Boss: Firewall99
Instructor: dwarven1
IIT's: Brother Mark, Andy in NH, Dangerous Old Woman, Smithy

Promotions: Brother Mark to Instructor

Weather: Sunny and partly cloudy Saturday; rain on and off Sunday.

ON THE LINE
Men                          8          6             
Women                        3          3
Teen Boy (Age 14)            1          0
Boy (Age 9)                  1          1
TOTAL ON THE LINE           13         10

Rifles: Entirely .22lr's with one bolt action and two semi-auto Marlins with the rest being 10/22's.  About ½ of the rifles were set up with scopes.

Rifleman: 1

LTR's loaned: 3

Round Count:
Saturday: 176
Sunday:   601
Total:    777

This range is shady most of the day, with REAL GRASS to shoot on.  The instructor staff was extremely competent and well-prepared.  The IIT's expressed an appreciation for the detailed shoot plan, which we actually followed this time.  (What a concept!)  The new administration scheme of handing out at the range entrance the shooter packages, including for the first time a shooter checklist for signing-in, and leaving the entire kit in the car during registration, worked beautifully.  Everyone rushed to the table with their waivers and name tags already filled out, and we were shooting the first Redcoat at almost exactly 9 AM!  By lunch we had completed not only the Ball & Dummy drill, but also the Rifleman's Cadence.  We broke for lunch at exactly noon.  Amazing.

The shooters were a great bunch of eager beavers, a delight to instruct.  We had one complete newbie, never fired a firearm of any kind in her life.  By the end of the shoot she seemed quite happy with her progress.  The Redcoats told the story, as usual, with effective ranges doubling across the board.

The history given by all the staff was exceptional, especially given that all IIT's were doing their segments for the first time.  They had started from the Firewall99 history notes and used them to construct their own versions, just as they should.  They were some of the best history renditions I've ever experienced.  Wow.

Smithy did an heroic job of building LTR's, adjusting scopes, cleaning rifles, and repairing a bad scope mount.  Now that he is an IIT, he also called the line a few times.  Because of Smithy's input, several shooters will return to their next shoot much better equipped.

Brother Mark passed his Instructor PC and earned his promotion to full Instructor, receiving one of our first new floppy Red Hats.  Bravo, Mark!

Our benediction on Sunday was one of the best we've done.  Dwarven1 was superb, and Mark's reading of John Adam's letter with the famous "Posterity, you will never know..." quote never fails to bring out a tear or two.  It was quite moving at the end.  This group of shooters definitely got their money's worth.

The shooters who completed the course were all happy campers and were already chomping on the bit for the next Appleseed.  Several of them started planning their return to Appleseed on the spot. 

Those gleaming eyes and the hearty "Thank You's!" that we instructors all received were very rewarding.  Thank YOU, shooters!

Summary:

Everyone worked hard, everyone learned, and everyone there at the end had a gleam in their eyes.  Damn good shoot.

Firewall99
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

hawkhavn

All,

The Enfield shoot got a nice review on another forum I am on, from the husband of the newbie shooter.
Great job!  I mentioned we had 3 other NE shoots coming right up...

Hawkhavn

p.s. WooHoo! 500 posts, what do I win?
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Mark D

Quote from: hawkhavn on August 04, 2009, 09:58:12 PM
The Enfield shoot got a nice review on another forum I am on, from the husband of the newbie shooter.

Thanks for sharing that.  It makes me feel good.

resunltd

Thanks to all the instructors. Enfield was another excellent learning experience. I find the revolutionary history breaks throughout the training very inspiring. Even though it was my third shoot, there is always something new to hear and do.

Best to you all.

Firewall99

Quote from: hawkhavn on August 04, 2009, 09:58:12 PM
Hawkhavn

What's the link to that post?

John
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

ndrifleman

As a new IIT, I was wondering why does Appleseed tell people to bring 250 rounds per day when the final round count for a weekend appleseed was 750 rounds?  I know one person who came to the Appleseed in Leeds, ND, came on Sunday with exactly 250 rounds and ran out long before the day ended.

Would it be better to tell people to bring 800, or a 1000 rounds?
"Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand. " Psalm 149:6

"The glorious inheritance which our fathers left us we must never betray.We must seize the torch from their hands, and transmit it with increasing brightness to distant generations." James Thornwell

Nickle

Quote from: ndrifleman on August 06, 2009, 02:59:12 PM
As a new IIT, I was wondering why does Appleseed tell people to bring 250 rounds per day when the final round count for a weekend appleseed was 750 rounds?  I know one person who came to the Appleseed in Leeds, ND, came on Sunday with exactly 250 rounds and ran out long before the day ended.

Would it be better to tell people to bring 800, or a 1000 rounds?

Current wisdom has been to bring 400 rounds per day. You'll have plenty left over from Saturday to make up for what you use Sunday. I tell 1 day only shooter to bring a 500-550 round brick of .22 ammo, plus some centerfire if they choose that route.

I know the 250 got bumped a while back, but it's possible some flyers or info didn;t get updated.

When you see it wrong, report it, by PM with a link, so we can find and fix it.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.