News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Montana Appleseed After Action Reviews

Started by glocker21, May 11, 2009, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glocker21

This thread is is designed to give shooters that have attended Montana Appleseed shoots a place to post Appleseed reports, suggestions, likes/dislikes and generally engage in the process of making Montana Appleseed better.
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

A virtuous government requires a virtuous people.

A frugal government requires a selfâˆ'reliant people.

A free country requires people who value liberty more than
money."
Charley Reese

mtmisfit

Many thanks to The Guy, Wheeler44, EEL, Sheepdog, Dinky, Dan and all the other instructors that travelled to Three Forks for the May 2009 AS.

Thanks to Krissy for being a gracious hostess and for providing the camping and shooting area.

Thanks to all who attended to hear of America's heritage, the events of April 19th, 1775 and to learn the basics of shooting a rifle well.

Happy Mother's Day Rebecca, Jacob and Cody earned their patch.

Until the next time.......
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

glocker21

Huzzah!

More Riflemen..a fine thing to be sure!

A fine time was had, good fellowship, great riflery instruction by Guy and his crew and wonderful hosting by Kristine to be thankful for.

Look forward to more fun in the coming months

Glocker21
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

money."
Charley Reese

Checkers

I'm seconding misfit's post!
This was my first Appleseed, but it's not going to be my last.
Thanks for all the great instruction everyone, it was a great learning experience.
We'll see you all at Boulder!

glocker21

Quote from: Checkers on May 11, 2009, 08:24:04 PM
I'm seconding misfit's post!
This was my first Appleseed, but it's not going to be my last.
Thanks for all the great instruction everyone, it was a great learning experience.
We'll see you all at Boulder!

Great job Checkers...I cannot wait to see you in Boulder

Glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

glocker21

OK...so any other comments, views, constructive criticism?

money."
Charley Reese

LTR

WOW - What to say - I have done some pretty cool things but this was almost over the top (could not qualify Rifleman   :'(  but not to worry - I won't be cooking  ;)).

I had never been to an Appleseed and had no idea what to expect. Within a couple of days we settled in around 1 instructor to 1.5 students. We literally had individual private lessons in how to shoot rifle. PaRah spent the better part of a full day laying on the tarp instructing me in the six steps and that was the first time I shot the cadence - wow - I will never forget that - thank you. :)

Seems to me if you are going to a boot camp, the equipment needed includes a well running Ruger LTR, a Shooting Jacket, a USGI Sling, and a Center Fire Battle Rifle.  Having the Rifle systems the same increases group efficiency on the line. I say this, because I had all the wrong Rifles and required more baby sitting than I should have. No one got upset with me and I learned a lot from being so screwed up, but I could have gotten a lot more accomplished had I had the right stuff (went to the Gun Show this morning and met with Mr. Springfield  8)). Every instructor went way out of their way to help me during the course of the week, with several loaning all the equipment I needed to have a chance, even after coming to the conclusion I might be a bit of a Wack Job ::).

The long distance shooting showed me alot. It was windy the day we shot center fire. At 200 the .223 boys were doing great. As we moved to 300, the .223 groups opened considerably and at 400, shots were lost. The .308 did not give a rip about these conditions. We changed the sights for elevation, did nothing for windage and kept hitting the target - yahoo. I had never shot at anything over 100 yards and by the time we got to center fire it was exactly as the Instructors said it would be and I was able to shoot 2 MOA at 400 yards with a .308 using the cadence - thanks SheepDog.  **)

After attending a boot camp, I can honestly say I did not have a clue about shooting rifle other than I was fairly sure which end the bullet exited from. I've been a fusser all of my life. Anyone like me, who wanted to get the most out of it, should seriously consider some kind of training schedule before they go. I hike 4.5 miles with a 40 lb Alice pack 4 to 5 times a week. It helped get me thru but I still got kicked pretty hard.  We were on the range 12 hours for several of the days and and by the end of the week my friend Paul and I were eating Vitamin "I" like it was candy. This week was one of the most physically rigorous things I have done and I spent years skiing bumps - think squat thrusts - hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of squat thrusts. We'd go back to the hotel at night, look at each other, and say "how did we get here?" and then break into hysterical laughter - right before we passed out from exhaustion. Today is Friday and I am still licking wounds  :'( but I can't remember laughing this much in a long, long time.

Three Forks has to be one of the most beautiful places I have been. We were squeezed between mountain ranges and got to see the weather and beauty change every 15 minutes. We used all of our equipment i.e. Rain Gear, Panchos, Layered Clothing, etc. and survived pretty well. Our fearless leader, Guy, marched us into the eye of a mean storm to shoot Center Fire. We actually went prone in the mud and fired shots. The bolt on my rifle filled with mud, water was running into the top of my boots, and my layered clothing was soaked thu to the skin. At one point I was thinking "you've got to be frigging kidding".  ;D  I had misjudged the severity of it, did not switch to rain gear, and paid for it the rest of the afternoon. No more shorts after that and rain pants went on anytime I saw anything coming over the mountains. Anyway Storm = 1 Me = 0.  :-[

I'm fairly uptight as I see the world at the current time. After a week in Three Forks, there is a certain calmness that has taken over and it feels incredibly good.  :)  I can't wait to take my darling wife.

There are not words for the gratitude I have for the Instructors - truly Patriots all - Thank You.

glocker21

WOW LTR...now that is what I am talkin' about!

Thanks for coming to our shoot and walking the trail to Rifleman. I am glad you had fun and learn a ton. Get ready for next year...more fun and frivolity. Are you going to be able to make it to Boulder for the June Appleseed? Hope to see you there.

Glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

MontanaCZ

Since most of the board is off limits to me, I will post here.

A BIG HEARTY thanks to The Guy for being the boss, Clodhopper for running the show, Misfit and Bru for the certificates and all the the help, Glocker21 for rolling the ball, and Shooter and son for the help putting it on and having the special keys.

Yep, the rain, snow, sun, and wind made it all that Montana stands for in the spring.  O0  It certainly was a great group that stuck it out through it all.  One of the few AS that I did not get either heat exhaustion or sunburn at.

This is Alex (yes there is a small person underneath all that!!)

-CZ
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor

glocker21

Very nice!!! I really hope to see those kids on the range again...and again...and again.

Popsicle sure had some serious "never give up" going for her

money."
Charley Reese

colycat

MontanaCZ, 

The AAR is not off limits for you or any other members.  Please take your post from here and copy it to the Boulder AAR so other folks will pick it up.  The AAR's are looked at quit a bit around the country.  It builds team work through out the nation.

Coly

BTW, most of the board is not off limits to you.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

LTR

I blew up my camera in the storm. My wife finally recovered the pictures from Three Forks.  Double click the pictures to enlarge. What a great time. Check out that weak side heel on Guy  :o :).

LTR

Continued ..

LTR

The Rest ...

400 yards.