News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Definitive NJ Ranges Thread

Started by GaranDGunn, July 23, 2009, 05:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaranDGunn

If I might be so bold as to suggest we compile a list of the limited number of NJ places there are to shoot for practice and also exposure for RWVA Appleseeds.  I know for myself the largest hurdles will be NJ regulations and limited shooting locales.  Ray's for instance was a common locale in my area which has since closed down.  There is also conflicting information, I was told a range existed in Old Bridge, then I was told it was torn down and is now condos, but it turns out there is an old bridge club with an indoor/outdoor range.

If you would like to contribute to the thread I would ask you reply with as much information for each locale that you can.  Below is a temporary template of Information that would be helpful.  If this is successful I will make a google map with locations and keep it updated if possible.

Range Name:
Address:
Public/Membership:
Hours of Operation:
Fees/Dues:
Indoor/outdoor:
Maximum Range:
Weapons allowed:

Putting this up to get it started.  I have some info on some ranges I'll add in myself shortly.

The List
Range Name: The Bullet Hole
Address: 78 Rutgers St Belleville, NJ 07109-3143
Public/Membership: Public
Hours of Operation: M-F 10-8:30, Sat 9-5, Sun 12-5
Fees/Dues: $8 for 30min, $13/hr
Indoor/outdoor: Indoor
Maximum Range: 23 Yards
Weapons allowed: Pitols through High Powered Rifles.

Range Name: Cherry Ridge Range
Address: 100 Range Road Highland Lakes, NJ 07422
Public/Membership: Membership
Hours of Operation: UNKNOWN
Fees/Dues: Annual Adult $132, 60+ $95, Jr $52, Life $1320 + initiation fees $28-$65 depending.
Indoor/outdoor: Outdoor
Maximum Range: 47 Hand gun (25, 50, 100yd), 70 Rifle (50yd, 50m, 100yd), 25 Silhoutte, 32 High Power Rifle (200 & 300yd), shotgun & Archery also
Weapons allowed: Pitols through High Powered Rifles.

Range Name:Shongun Sportsmen Association
Address: 363 Janes Chapel Rd. Oxford NJ 07863-3505
Hours of Operation: M-Sat 9am till 30min before Sunset, Sunday 10am till same.
Fees/Dues: $150 Initiation + $175 Annual Dues
Indoor/outdoor: Both
Maximum Range: 15 Indoor Pistol/22 Rifle (50ft), 20 Outdoor (100yd)
Weapons allowed: Pistols through High Powered Rifles.

Range Name: Tenafly Rifle & Pistol Club
Address: 157 Grove St. Tenafly, NJ 07670
Hours of Operation: Variable http://www.trpclub.org/rangeav.html
Fees/Dues: $300 initial + $100 Annual
Indoor/outdoor: Indoor 13 ports
Maximum Range: 25 yds
Weapons allowed: Small pistols and .22 Rimfire Rifles

Range Name: Franklin Revolver And Rifle Association
Address:
Hours of Operation: 9 to dusk on weekdays and Sat 10 to dusk on Sun
Fees/Dues:  initiation fee is $100.00 and the annual membership fee is $125.00
Indoor/outdoor:
Maximum Range:
Weapons allowed:  .22 to .45 caliber for handguns, and .22 caliber rimfire ONLY for rifles.

dwarven1

Quote from: GaranDGunn on July 23, 2009, 05:59:50 PM
If I might be so bold as to suggest we compile a list of the limited number of NJ places there are to shoot for practice and also exposure for RWVA Appleseeds. 
This is an EXCELLENT suggestion, Garan. And since you've been to a shoot already and know what it entails, you can check some of these places out to see if maybe we can use them for shoots!

Quote from: GaranDGunn on July 23, 2009, 05:59:50 PMRay's for instance was a common locale in my area which has since closed down.
WHAT?!?!?!  :o  Ray's Sport Shop is CLOSED???  :'( Damn... All the ranges I shot at in NJ are closed now. Hudson County Pistol Range, Rays.... that shop on Rt 46 in Saddle Brook with the range in the basement.... Just... Damn.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

GaranDGunn

Thanks for the encouragement.  I will continue hunting the web and making phone calls for information.  Once I have a definitive list I will start checking out places in my area, hopefully people further north and south in jersey can check some of the others and we can produce a list of potential appleseed venues as well.   I know MikeP is a trial member at central jersey club, which has great facilities and looks hopeful.  Unfortunately for me the best locations seem to be 90 min north, south or west of me.

Mikep

I am a full paying member at Central Jersey. And I have made inquiries there regarding hosting an Appleseed. It was made clear to me that the club's schedule is firmly arranged and policy regarding cancellation of calendared events and replacement with other events is rarely accomplished.

I wish there was more flexibility there but that, IMO, is not reality. It's a fine facility that could benefit its members if it offered the Appleseed program.

I would like to find two more ranges in New Jersey. One in Northern NJ and one in Central NJ.

South Jersey Shooting is very enthusiastic about what they witnessed and have expressed a clear desire to continue with future Appleseed events.

I am thinking, doing Saturday only clinics, for the sake of scheduling, both regarding the club and my own personal devotion of time constraints. This idea could happen once a month at SJSC.

Any thoughts?

Let's have a conversation in a new thread I will start.
"The right of the the People, shall not be infringed." So mister politician, what is it about those words you don't understand???

VAshooter

GaranDGunn and MikeP,

Looks like you guys have learned the Appleseed secret. One guy can get things done but two guys are better. Three are better yet.

If you guys work together I'm sure the New Jersey Appleseed Program will continue to improve. Call me anytime if you need anything.

VAshooter

Mikep

Thanks VA.

It was very good to see you, work with you and hangout with you.

I was very impressed with our group of shooters at Winslow. They did every thing required to begin building that base of knowledge about things Appleseed. Knowledge about themselves and their equipment.

I know there are others in this new group interested in more work on the line. I'm inspired. And ready to help them make it happen.

If anyone reading this did attend the Winslow Appleseed, please PM me, I would like contact info, phone-email.
I would like to keep this group informed on any future clinics. And if you did not attend but have interest, please contact me too.

See the following thread link to chime in on the discussion about monthly shoots.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8246.0

"The right of the the People, shall not be infringed." So mister politician, what is it about those words you don't understand???