News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR July 4-5 2009 DAVILLA, TX Independence Day Shoot

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, July 09, 2009, 08:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Independence Day weekend

104 degrees

7 shooters - 1 boy, 3 men, 3 women.

4 instructors - SNAITF, alonso1, Austin, Big-D and some welcome volunteer admin help from Doug T.

and TWO RIFLEMEN!

Austin gave the 1st strike of the match in his signature "movie style".

We started with Redcoats and began our day. We had frequent, mandatory water breaks due to the heat.

Alonso1 called the line Saturday morning. At lunch Alonso told us the 2nd strike.

Austin called the line Saturday afternoon. The instructor core all took turns explaining positions, safety, etc. throughout the day.

We did get to shoot an AQT or two Saturday afternoon, which pleased me to no end.

By the end of Saturday afternoon one shooter, Kevin, made rifleman. I had the pleasure of awarding him his patch.

I told the 3rd strike and we dismissed for the day.

Sunday morning we had 5 shooters return. Big-D called the line in the morning and began with another Hit's Count drill and then started on the AQT grind.

Even our Saturday Rifleman wasn't going to rest on his laurels...

Shade was sometimes where you made it...

NPOA drill

The shooters had begun the day with a renewed fervor. By the afternoon "reliable" (Larry) made a Rifleman score.

I called the line Sunday afternoon. We ran a little late on Sunday - those pesky water breaks ate up some time.

We finished with a little surprise - I had the shooters post Hits Count targets and distracted them a little with some talk of safety. Scout had joined us at this point. I then looked out over the field behind the target line and I said something to the effect of "Oh! Oh! Oh my God! Look! The redcoats are coming! Fire! As fast as you can - FIRE!"

It caught everyone off guard.   >:D

To me, the best part about this shoot was the overall attitude of every shooter present. Oh, and TWO RIFLEMEN! Each had a teachable attitude and each was infused with a spirit of perseverance. Not a soul walked away from the line without having improved their marksmanship skills. I'm very proud of everyone who was there.

Rifleman Kevin has decided to join us as an IIT! Welcome aboard!

Thank you all who helped and all who participated!

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Big-D

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
Colonel David M. Shoup - (Tarawa) - 21st November 1943

"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
Captain Henry P. Jim Crowe - 13th January 1943 - (Guadalcanal)

E. Massey

Great photos, looks like a good time.

Really wish I could've made it to this one, but I could not get the weekend off from work.

Congrats to all who attended, and congrats to those who made rifleman.  I was on the line next to kevin on saturday at the june appleseed and could tell he was close last month too.

Did you guys shoot on the 400 yard range last weekend?

vic303

Congrats to all the shooters last weekend, and especially to Larry & Kevin!  Outstanding work gentlemen!  It was great to see all the pics too--was almost like being back there (I was there in June).

POP

snaitf - a really great write up. thanks for that effort. to quote vic303 "It was great to see all the pics too--was almost like being back there" 'tis true. 

I was 7th stepping in Corpus on 4th July.  But, my heart was in Davilla with you guys.

Big D, Austin, alonso, snaitf ... thanks for keeping Davilla up and running.  must have been great to see Scout and Doug, too.

'nuff said.

i'll see ya'll at our home range before too long.
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

alonso1

I have to say SNAITF did a great job.  This was his first shoot as Shoot Boss.  About two days before the shoot, SNAITF was told he was going to be S/B.  He stepped up to the plate and made it happen.

The shooters were a fine bunch, great attitudes.  As stated above, 2 Riflemen, Kevin & Larry.  Well done y'all.

The rest of the shooters greatly improved with their marksmanship skills.

Everything has been said, so thanks to all the shooters.  Y'all did great.  Thanks to the instructors and thanks to Scout for letting us use his land for this Great Cause...and Scout, get well soon.

Mark