News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Research Help needed--Historical Rifleman Stories

Started by funfaler, June 08, 2009, 06:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funfaler

I am working on a big Appleseed project, to benefit us all, and I need some help with some research.

This is what I am looking for:  Link able, or something that I can copy and paste is needed.

Subject:

I want stories of American Rifle Marksmen throughout the history of this nation.

We have Timothy Murphy and Morgan's Riflemen for the Revolutionary War era (not to say if you find others, these will not be very welcomed too)

We need similar stories for the following (or any era you can find)
-War 1812
-Civil War
-WWI  (Devil Dogs?, Sgt. York?, others)
-WWII
-Korea
-Vietnam
-Iraq I & II
-Any good civilian stories, competition or other.

Keep in mind that I am seeking stories that show the continuation of the American Rifleman skills, from Rev War to today.  Obviously there will be more about "snipers", but like the Devil Dogs, or Sgt. York, there are stories about "Riflemen" too, so those would be the true treasure in this effort.

Just post your links in a reply here, so I can review them, or if need be, copy and paste them to a reply here.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

jmdavis

Copy and paste will likely be tough. But there are books that are available.

-War 1812
-Civil War- Berdan's Sharp Shooters, Confederate Sharpshooters at Devils Den, Mahone's Brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia
Indian Wars- Adobe Walls (Billy Dixon) Here's a Mike Venturino article http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_51/ai_n13781619/
-WWI  (Devil Dogs?, Sgt. York?, others), HW McBride "A Rifleman went to War"
-WWII The "Death from Afar" Series by the Chandlers has several stories
-Korea The "Death from Afar" Series by the Chandlers has several stories
-Vietnam primarily sniping, but Land, Hathcock (General at >900 yds, M2HB shot at ~2300 yards, elimination of a rifle company), et al from the Marines, also "Death from Afar"
-Iraq I & II
-Any good civilian stories, competition or other. A number of Elmer Kieth Stories might work, Keith was skilled with both handgun and rifle, H.W. McBride and Hathcock also competed
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

funfaler

jmdavis, thanks for jumping right in.

Unfortunately, I will not have the time to research through books or even lengthy links to gather this information.

I am asking for you folks here to help in the research effort.

What I need is the actual stories.  If you know of some good ones, but don't have the links or cut/paste posts, then perhaps some specifics of the people/events, and others may be able to find something.

Like what you did with Elmer Kieth, now someone, who previously did not know about him, can do some "googling" and perhaps find some links and such.

So, thanks for the info.  I need as much detail as possible, as this is part of a much larger effort that will not get completed if it relies upon my personal research.

smwwoody

a good competition one would be VA Shooters Lanny Bashen (SP)  story.  Anyone who has ever heard it knows what I am talking about.

Woody
Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC

Biscuit

Here is a list of books on a South Carolina sharpshooter unit during the War Between the States.
They are from a re-enactor who portraits this unit.

History of a Brigade of South Carolinian, First known
as Gregg's, Subsequently known as McGowan's Brigade
Written by J. F. J. Caldwell, He was on the McGowan's
Staff and provides and excellent account of the
Brigade. Partially written during the Siege of
Petersburg and published in 1866.

Lee's Sharpshooter's,  written by Maj. William Dunlop.
Dunlop commanded the Brigade of Sharpshooter's for
McGowan's Brigade. Gives a very detailed account of
the sharpshooter's from formation of, training, and
battles.

Berry Benson's Civil War Book, asked to write accounts
by his niece from the notes and Diary's kept. He was
the Orderly Sgt. of a compnay of McGowan's
Sharpshooters.

Carrying the Flag, written by and author named ? Rhea.
It was about the man who carried the 12th SC
battle flag during the Battle of Spotsylvania and what
he did. He was part of the charge to finally take back
the muleshoe there. The initial attack from McGowan's
brigade into the muleshoe was led by the
sharpshooters. This is also where a General I beleive
Ramseur, but not sure, quoted of McGowan's Brigade,
"there is no better men in this army than these boys
from South Carolina." or to that effect.
MAN do I HATE some of my nicknames.

shot the score on Sept. 26th, 2010.
Started in 2008/09. Total events attend as a shooter: TOO MANY!!!!

James T.

Mark D

How about Jack Hinson Funfaler?...and he was from your neck of the woods!  Here's a bit from the inside flap of a book about him:

"A quiet, unassuming, and wealthy plantation owner, Jack Hinson was focused on his family life and seasonal plantings when the Civil War started to permeate the isolated valleys of the Kentucky-Tennessee border area where he lived. He was uniquely neutral--friend to both Confederate and Union generals--and his family exemplified the genteel, educated, gracious, and hardworking qualities highly valued in their society. By the winter of 1862, the Hinsons' happy way of life would change forever. Jack Hinson's neutrality was shattered the day Union patrols moved in on his land, captured two of his sons, accused them of being bushwhackers, and executed them on the roadside. The soldiers furthered the abuse by decapitating the Hinson boys and placing their heads on the gateposts of the family estate. The Civil War, now literally on Hinson's doorstep, had become painfully personal, and he could remain dispassionate no longer. He commissioned a special rifle, a heavy-barreled .50-caliber weapon designed for long-range accuracy. He said goodbye to his family, and he took to the wilderness seeking revenge. Hinson, nearly sixty years of age, alone, and without formal military training, soon became a deadly threat to the Union. A Confederate sniper, he made history after single-handedly bringing down an armed Union transport and serving as a scout for Nathan Bedford Forrest. A tenacious and elusive figure, Hinson likely killed more than one hundred Union soldiers, recording the confirmed deaths on the barrel of his rifle with precision. Despite the numbers of men sent to kill him, Hinson evaded all capture, and like his footsteps through the Kentucky and Tennessee underbrush, his story has been shrouded in silence--until now. The result of fifteen years of research, this remarkable biography presents the never-before-told history of Jack Hinson, his savage war on his country, and the brutal cost of vengeance and war."

..and a link to a photo of historical marker dedicated to him:

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc4/cwsniper1.htm

Brother

Cowdog

My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

funfaler

Actually heard this one myself, it will be included.

However, did you catch this? 
QuoteRecall during the American Revolution when the bugleman whose horse was both behind and between that of Lt. Cols. Banastre Tarleton & George Hanger was shot from 400 yards by a rifleman who "laid himself down on his belly; for, in such positions, they always lie, to make a good shot at a long distance."

Be interesting to find a documented quote on this  ;)

I need to be able to document these stories, in the sense that we will need to give credit to the authors of the works from which we retrieve them. 

The more detail of the story as well as the source of the story, the more apt I can use it.

Thanks again to all, this is good stuff and I trust you will be pleased with the final product  ;)

Mark D

Quote from: funfaler on June 09, 2009, 04:34:21 AM
Actually heard this one myself, it will be included.

However, did you catch this? 
QuoteRecall during the American Revolution when the bugleman whose horse was both behind and between that of Lt. Cols. Banastre Tarleton & George Hanger was shot from 400 yards by a rifleman who "laid himself down on his belly; for, in such positions, they always lie, to make a good shot at a long distance."

Be interesting to find a documented quote on this  ;)

You can find the story relayed here...the specific event is about 80% down the page.

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/regional_review/vol5-1c.htm

Mark D

A bit more about King's Mountain.  This really is a fascinating story (Same source as above)...

"In September, 1780, while this spirit of hatred was at its height, the regiments of backwoods patriots, who were to go down in history as "Kings Mountain Men," rendezvoused at South Mountain..."

"...Not a regular soldier was in the American ranks. Every man there was actuated by a spirit of democracy. They fought under leaders of their own choosing for the right to live in a land governed by men of their own choice...."

"...The story of the battle which ensued is one of the thrilling chapters in our history. The Whigs surrounded the mountain and, in spite of a few bayonet charges made by the Tories, pressed up the slopes and poured into the loyalist lines such deadly fire from the long rifles that in less than an hour 225 had been killed, 163 wounded, and 716 made prisoners. [British] Major Ferguson fell with eight bullets in his body. The Whigs lost 28 killed and 62 wounded...."

student

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1985/2/1985_2_72.shtml

THE BATTLE OF ATHENS In McMinn County, Tennessee, 1946

Well worth reading. 

Highlights.

After vote rigging and the killing of an elderly black man who was trying to vote.

"You call yourselves GIs--you go over there and fight for three and four years--you come back and you let a bunch of draft dodgers who stayed here where it was safe, and you were making it safe for them, push you around. ... If you people don't stop this, and now is the time and place, you people wouldn't make a pimple on a fighting GI's ass. Get guns..."

"broke down the armory doors and took all the rifles, two Thompson sub-machine guns, and all the ammunition we could carry, loaded it up in the two-ton truck and went back to GI headquarters and passed out seventy high-powered rifles and two bandoleers of ammunition with each one."

"Would you damn bastards bring those damn ballot boxes out here or we are going to set siege against the jail and blow it down!" Moments later the night exploded in automatic weapons fire punctuated by shotgun blasts. "I fired the first shot," White claimed, "then everybody started shooting from our side." A deputy ran for the jail. "I shot him; he wheeled and fell inside of the jail." Bullets ricocheted up and down White Street. "I shot a second man; his leg flew out from under him, and he crawled under a car." The veterans bombarded the jail for hours, but Cantrell and his accomplices, secure behind the red-brick walls, refused to surrender. As the uncertain battle dragged past midnight, the GIs began to have some uneasy second thoughts. They knew that they had violated local, state, and federal laws that night, and if Cantrell was not routed before his rescuers arrived, they might spend the rest of their lives in prison. Rumors compounded their fears: "The National Guard is on the way!" "The state troopers are here!"

At 2:48 A.M. the first dynamite was tossed toward the jail; it landed under Boe Dunn's cruiser, and the explosion flipped the vehicle over on its top, leaving its wheels spinning. Three more bundles of dynamite were thrown almost simultaneously; one landed on the jail porch roof, another under Mansfield's car, and the third struck the jail wall. The explosions rattled windows throughout the town; leaves fell from the trees, debris scattered for blocks, and the jailhouse porch jumped off its foundation. The deputies barricaded in the courthouse a block away rushed onto the balcony, eager to surrender. The jail's defenders staggered from their ruined stronghold and handed the ballot boxes over to the veterans.

Only one man had charges brought against him: Windy Wise, the deputy who shot the old black farmer, Tom Gillespie, drew a sentence of one to three years.

(Not much of a sentence for killing a man who was just trying to vote.  None of the GI's were charged with anything.)

Aaron
Live the life others gave up for you.

www.skillgarden.net

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the way!

student

Live the life others gave up for you.

www.skillgarden.net

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the way!

Cowdog

incredible shots of the civil war

http://www.bivouacbooks.com/bbv5i2s4.htm

Here is a gem from the article about marksmen from my home state:

There are also many stories of incredibly accurate shots. Col. Hugh W. McNeil of the Pennsylvania Bucktails was one of those who fired such a shot:

"During the battle of South Mountain, the Rebels held a very strong position. They were posted in a mountain pass, and had infantry on the heights on every side. Our men were compelled to carry the place by storm. The position seemed impregnable.
A band of Rebels occupied a ledge on the extreme right, as the Colonel approached with a few of his men. The unseen force poured upon them a volley. Col. Hugh McNeil, on the instant, gave the command: 'Pour your fire upon those rocks!'
The Bucktails hesitated, it was not an order they were accustomed to receive; they had always picked their men.
'Fire!' thundered the Colonel; 'I tell you to fire on those rocks!'
The men obeyed. For some time an irregular fire was kept up, the Bucktails sheltering themselves as best they could behind trees and rocks. On a sudden McNeil caught sight of two rebels peering through an opening in the works to get aim. The eyes of the men followed their commander, and half a dozen rifles were leveled in that direction.
'Wait a minute,' said the Colonel; 'I will try my hand. There is nothing like killing two birds with one stone.'
The two rebels were not in line, but one stood a little distance back of the other, while just in front of the foremost was a slanting rock. Col. McNeil seized a rifle, raised it, glanced a moment along the polished barrel; a report followed, and both the rebels disappeared. At that moment a loud cheer a little distance beyond rent the air.
'All is right now,' cried the Colonel; 'charge the rascals.'
The men sprang up among the rocks in an instant. The affrighted rebels turned to run, but encountered another body of the Bucktails and were obliged to surrender. Not a man of them escaped. Every one saw the object of the Colonel's order to fire at random among the rocks. He had sent a party around to the rear, and meant thus to attract their attention. It was a perfect success.
The two rebels by the opening in the ledge were found lying there stiff and cold. Col. McNeil's bullet had struck the slanting rock in front of them, glanced, and passed through both their heads. There it lay beside them, flattened. The Colonel picked it up, and put it in his pocket." 11

Col. McNeil was still carrying the lucky bullet a few days later when he was killed at the Battle of Antietam.

Another regiment of Pennsylvanians experienced a similar incident during the Battle of Gettysburg:

"During the morning's firing, the men of the 111th from northwest Pennsylvania, who prided themselves on their marksmanship, enjoyed sniping at the enemy. First Sgt. Castor G. Malin saw puffs of smoke from some rocks down the slope. He aimed and fired carefully at the source of the smoke several times, but the puffs of smoke continued to appear. The sergeant, a deer hunter, was annoyed with his shooting until after the battle when he walked down to the rock pile and found five dead soldiers there. They had followed each other in turn until the last man shot had fallen dead upon his gun and closed the gap through which they had fired."
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Nevada Smith

This is from "The Percy Anecdotes" By Sholto Percy & Reuben Percy

Lieutenant Colonel M'Leroth of the 95th or rifle regiment relates the following anecdotes of the skill of sharp shooters, and the inefficacy of ordinary musketeers.

"In an action of some importance a mounted officer of the enemy was on the point of being made prisoner; one only way presented itself by which he had a chance of escaping; this was along the front of our line within musket range; he embraced this alternative and although the whole brigade fired at him both man and horse escaped with impunity."

Another fact from the same authority is equally curious.

"In order to cover themselves as much as possible from the enemy's aim at the siege of York town our soldiers had each three bags of sand to lay on the parapet; two of these were placed with their ends at a little distance from each other and the third crossed over the interval leaving a small loop-hole for the soldiers to fire through. The American riflemen however were so expert, that on seeing a piece protruded through the hole, they levelled towards it and penetrating the opening, frequently shot the men through the head."

This one is from Harper's magazine  v. 29 - 1864 p. 666

"Sharp-shooters play an important part in the operations of our army. Hiding themselves in a good position they soon build a little pit, digging with the bayonet and tin cup, if they can not stand up to use a spade, from which they annoy the enemy most immensely. Their keen eyes readily detect the slightest portion of an enemy exposed, and they generally mark it with a quick bullet. Many a trick is resorted to by them to induce the enemy so to expose himself. Sometimes they will all raise a tremendous shout, and when the enemy bob up to see what is going on they give them a telling volley, and then roll over and kick up their heels with joy. Nothing short of an actual attack in force will dislodge these sharp-shooters; and it is rarely that one of them is killed. They take the same pride in their duty that a hunter does in the chase, and tally their victims in three separate columns--the "certainly," the "probably," and the "possibly" killed--thinking no more of it than if it were not men they hunt so diligently. The enemy also have efficient sharp-shooters who climb high trees and with their long-range rifles soon make themselves felt in our camps."

WWI (from The New York Times, published December 9, 1918):

"Thus it is that the United States marines have fulfilled the
glorious traditions of their corps in this their latest duty as
the 'soldiers who go to sea.' Their sharpshooting--and in one
regiment 93 percent of the men wear the medal of a marksman, a
sharpshooter, or an expert rifleman--has amazed soldiers of
European armies, accustomed merely to shooting in the general
direction of the enemy. Under the fiercest fire they have calmly
adjusted their sights, aimed for their man, and killed him, and
in bayonet attacks their advance on machine-gun nests has been
irresistible."

Source: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9A03E5D61239E13ABC4153DFB4678383609EDE
Problems worthy
of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back.
--Piet Hein

Nevada Smith

I decided to make a separate post for this one because it is so noteworthy:

THE MARINE'S RIFLE.; Fine Shooting a Tradition in the American Corps.
Published June 12, 1918, in The New York Times
Source: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9C01EED7163EE433A25751C1A9609C946996D6CF

To the Editor of The New York Times:

One explanation of the French enthusiasm over our troops, on which you comment this morning, need not detract from our admiration of the magnificent courage and quality of theirs. There is one respect in which our regulars, and still more, our marines, must have been a revelation to them, and to the Germans as well--their demonstration of the true possibilities of the rifle.

For a hundred years the rifle has been peculiarly the American weapon. Even today most American boys have made its acquaintance while still in short trousers, whereas very few German, French or even British youths ever held a gun in their hands before they were called up for service. With this initial advantage, moreover, in the years before the war, our army, navy, and Marine Corps built up a system of training in rifle shooting that is absolutely unequaled.

Kipling once described the British Army allowance of ammunition for rifle practice as "hardly enough to foul the rifles." In the German and French armies instruction in shooting hardly went beyond teaching the recruit how to load and pull the trigger. The writer, in fact, once read an article by a French Army officer, arguing for dispensing with what little shooting instruction was given, on the ground that in battle the soldier would be so badly frightened that he would forget all he had been told, anyhow!

In contrast to this, the allowance of rifle ammunition in the United States Army, Navy, and Marine Corps for many years has been absolutely unlimited, and all officers have been consistently encouraged and urged to make the utmost possible use of it to give their men all the shooting they could possibly get in. Even more important than this has been the immense enthusiasm and keen competitive spirit officers and men alike have put into the great game of rifle shooting. For years company, regimental, ship, and squadron rifle teams have been trained, and have competed in matches, with all the keenness, care, and coaching of as many college football teams. The literature of the rifle in the three services would fill several libraries, and to Army, Navy, and Marine Corps men the annual national tournament at Camp Perry was one of the big events of the year.

As a result, for years before the war America won every international competition in rifle shooting ever held. Nobody else was in our class, and among our own services the Marine Corps pretty near stood at the head. No one who has not seen them at work can have any conception of the enthusiasm, pains and study they have constantly lavished on the improvement of the shooting of their men.

Like all three services, they have been almost submerged by the flood of raw material. But the "shooting tradition" has come through. Raw as our recruits were, they have had the benefit of the finest system of instruction and the most expert coaches in the art of the rifle there are in the world. The chances are that practically every man of those who charged at Torcy and Bouresches was at least a qualified marksman, that a very large proportion were sharpshooters, and that not a few were expert riflemen. Moreover, they were armed with the 1903 Springfield, the most accurate and hardest-hitting military rifle in the world.

Now, to be even a marksman in the Marine Corps, you must be able to stop a man four times out of five, shooting off-hand at 200 yards, while if you ever saw a company of marine sharpshooters going through the "skirmish run," and saw the targets afterward, you would not wonder that there were very few Germans left alive to oppose them when they came within bayonet range.

The writer and some old shipmates have wondered many times, during the last few years, when reading of fancy new weapons, such as flame-throwers and gas grenades, just how these things would prove up if they were tried out against troops who had only rifles, but really knew how to shoot. It occurred to more than one of us that they might come out as some college football teams have done, which, having a marvelous equipment of fancy plays and forward passes, have run up against an army or navy team whose entire knowledge of football was to start quick, charge hard and low, tackle cleanly and hold on to the ball. In like manner it is possible that the Boche will find the man who only knows his rifle, but knows beforehand that he is going to hit what he aims at, a pretty ugly customer still, despite all the modern "improvements" in the art of war.

(signed) EX-NAVAL OFFICER.
New York, June 10, 1918
Problems worthy
of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back.
--Piet Hein

featherblue

�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

Beowolf_357

I copied this from another site.
FYI--Pastor Peter Muhlenberg-A Time For War 1776
Posted by: "Van Costen" jecosten@cox.net   jecosten
Thu May 14, 2009 11:41 am (PDT)

"He stepped from behind
the podium and opened
his black robe. There he
stood in the bright, blue
uniform of a Colonial
army Colonel."

Biographical Sketch: Pastor Peter Muhlenberg-A Time For War
(of Woodstock, VA).

He served in the Virginia House of
burgesses in 1774. That experience acquainted
him further with the need for colonial independence.
The tension between Great Britain and the
Patriot cause grew greater during the next two
years until, of course, war erupted. It was time for
Pastor Peter to take a stand. He had been contemplating
his bold venture for some time. His plan
was well thought. A grand nephew, in 1849, gave
the details.
It was January 15, 1776. News of the British
and colonial clashes was spreading throughout the
Shenandoah Valley. Peter took the pulpit and delivered
his prepared sermon from Ecclesiastes 3.
"To everything there is a season, a time for every
purpose under heaven. There is a time to preach, a
time to pray, but the time for me to preach has
passed away." He stepped from behind the podium
and opened his black preaching robe. There
he stood in the bright, blue uniform of a Colonial
army colonel. "There is a time for peace, and a
time for war. Now is the time for war!" He left no
doubt that he did believe that. Immediately dismissing
the congregation he shared his plans to
engage in the war for independence and some 300
new volunteers lined up to join him. His new regiment
became the 8th Virginia continental militia.
That was just the beginning of the Pastor Colonel's
adventures.
In 1777 as the Colonials attempted to push the
British away from Philadelphia major battles were
fought at Germantown and Brandywine. Peter
Muhlenberg was there, fighting with distinction.
When General Washington finally gained an advantage
against the British and engaged them in an
open battle near Monmouth, New Jersey, Muhlenberg
was again in the forefront. When he was sent
to Cabin Point, VA in 1781 he had proved himself
honorable and dependable, a true patriot. It is no
coincidence that his commander, General von
Steuben, had confidence in Peter's abilities. The
German warrior had been teaching the Colonial
Army European battle techniques. And was himself
at the Battle of Monmouth. When British
Commander Cornwallis surrendered to George
Washington in Yorktown, October 17, 1781, General
Muhlenberg had been part of the offensive
power that crushed the British will to continue.
But his public life outside the pulpit was far from
over.
After the war, Peter moved back to the family
home in Trappe, Pennsylvania. In 1785 Benjamin
Franklin was elected as the first president of Pennsylvania.
Peter Muhlenberg, already a member of
the Supreme Executive Council, became Vice-
President. In that position he had a greater ability
to enlist support for the ratification of the United
States Constitution. With his brother Frederick he
served as a state delegate to the Constitutional
Convention. Under the new rules of that document
he was elected a member of the House of Representatives
for three terms. He was a presidential
elector in 1796. He was selected as a Senator from
Not too far from the
intersection of US
250 and US 17 there
is an historical marker
of great national significance.
The sign
marks a place where
the old village of
Cabin Point, Virginia
once stood. During
the 18th century tobacco
was shipped
from this town to
Europe. That's not
what makes the village
notable. During the War for Independence it
was necessary for Colonial troops to be stationed
here. Neither is that fact extraordinary. In January
of 1781 Major General Friedrich Wilhelm von
Steuben arrived here with 700 additional troops.
They had come to ward off a suspected challenge
from British forces led by Brigadier General Benedict
Arnold. The British army did indeed set up
camp just south in Portsmouth, Virginia. That
brings some adventure to the small town. But for
our report the reason this little hamlet has importance
is none of those reasons. When General von
Steuben went off to get supplies for the anticipated
British challenge he left the Colonial troops in the
care of a remarkable man named Peter Muhlenberg.
Peter Muhlenberg is who makes Cabin
Point a good place to begin writing.
The story of Peter Muhlenberg is as much about
his father as it is about him. Henry Muhlenberg
was born in Eimbeck, Germany in 1711. After his
training at the University of Goettingen he became
the superintendent of an orphanage and began his
long ministry as a Pastor. Raised in the Lutheran
church he accepted a call to missionary service in
the wilds of the American colonies. More specifically
the country was described as "full of heresy
and sects...in a state of greatest destitution. " His
journey eventually brought him to the 'untamed'
area of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Committed to
the Lutheran cause he worked tirelessly to develop
cooperation among the Lutheran churches between
southeastern Pennsylvania and New York City.
Through his efforts a Pennsylvania ministerium
was established. Pastor Henry became the 'Father
of American Lutheranism. '
Four years after his settling in America Henry
became a father to his first son, John Peter Gabriel
Muhlenberg. It was October 1, 1746. Two more
boys would follow. Each of the brothers, so
greatly influenced by their father, entered into the
ministry. The oldest two distinguished themselves
in the political arena as well. Peter's story is the
one most legendary.
After his studies at the Philadelphia Academy
(now the University of Pennsylvania) he traveled
to Europe to attend the University at Halle, Germany
where his father had taught. He studied
there from 1763-1766. After a brief stint in a German
regiment of dragoons, which may have had
some influence on his later decisions, he returned
to Trappe, Pennsylvania and was ordained as a
Lutheran minister.
As the colonies moved closer to war with Great
Britain there was friction in the Muhlenberg family.
Father Henry leaned in favor of the Crown,
believing that King George was a Christ-ordained
monarch and to rebel against him was to challenge
God. Peter's brother Frederick, a pastor in New
York City, was initially of the same mind. That
left Peter in the middle. But it was this determination
for liberty that proved to be his destiny.
He began his pastoral life in small churches in
southeastern Pennsylvania but soon was invited to
the Virginia frontier, specifically the young town
Pennsylvania in 1801.
So what about the family tension concerning the
war? According to one historian, Henry
"Muhlenberg' s experience in America eventually
made him a strong supporter of independence.
From his house at Trappe, near the juncture of two
important roads leading between Philadelphia and
Reading, Muhlenberg opened his house to Continental
officers and privates, herdsmen and wagoneers,
and state and Congressional leaders during the British
occupation of Philadelphia in 1777-78. He also
provided refuge for civilians who streamed from the
city by the thousands to avoid the ravages of war."
And brother Frederick? After the British took the
city of New York he went back to his home in Pennsylvania.
The fire of freedom began to burn intensely
and he too joined in political life with his
brother. He was also a member of Congress; became
in fact the Speaker of the House under the Articles of
Confederation. In 1787 He joined the state constitutional
convention, became its president and helped to
ratify the new Constitution. He served in the new
government for four congressional terms and was the
First Speaker of the House in United States history.
The Muhlenbergs have left their commendable
mark on the pages of American history. A Father
who taught his sons reverence for God and His
Book. A home where courage and thoughtfulness
were commonplace. An atmosphere that encouraged
an independent spirit in the matters of personal conviction.
When Henry came to organize the Lutheran
churches he had to overcome the complacency of
some congregations. And in a few cases pastoral
impostors had taken over the flocks deceptively. It
was his unrelenting commitment that brought unity
to the Lutherans. A third son, Gotthilf Henry, also a
pastor, became a well-known, well-written, and meticulous
botanist. Yet as the father instructed and
encouraged the sons so did the eldest son his father.
Consequently, we all have benefited from their
choices.
The most notable paradigm of this story, it seems,
is the willingness of Pastor Muhlenberg to become
General Muhlenberg. He saw no conflict between
the suggested incompatibility of church and state. In
fact, Peter Muhlenberg understood how each necessarily
related to the other. He knew that for freedom
to prevail the church must survive unhindered by
government. And as a churchman he was willing to
fight for the kind of government that would make
that freedom everlasting.
Muhlenberg's brother, Frederick, quoted John
Peter as saying, "You may say that as a clergyman
nothing can excuse my conduct. I am a clergyman, it
is true, but I am a member of society as well as the
poorest layman, and my liberty is as dear to me as
any man. I am called by my country to its defense.
The cause is just and noble.... I should obey without
hesitation; and as far am I from thinking that I am
wrong, I am convinced it is my duty so to do - a
duty I owe to my God and my Country."
He died on his 61st birthday. In the Lutheran
Church cemetery in Trappe, Pennsylvania you will
find his tombstone with this epitaph. "He was Brave
in the field, Faithful in the Cabinet, Honorable in all
his transactions, a Sincere Friend and an Honest
Man." May patriotic ministers of his character and
determination flood the pulpits of America again.
_Lee Button

Dr. Lee Button is Vice-Chairman of the National Heritage
Center for Constitutional Studies, Inc.

Nevada Smith

From an article in The Ellensburgh Capital called "He Got The Sniper," page 25, published Oct. 18, 1917

An Incident of the Landing of Our Marines In Vera Cruz

Uncle Sam's marines know how to handle a rifle; 50 per cent of the force are qualified, listed shots. There is a story about the occupation of Vera Cruz that tells of good shooting and a sure eye. Our bluejackets were marching up the street from the Plaza between rows of low two story houses. A well dressed Mexican gentleman, with a newspaper over his knee, was sitting on the balcony of his house, apparently intent on watching our sailors advance, but hidden under the paper he held a big revolver, and as our men went by he fired. The bullets were striking, but our officers could hardly suspect a well dressed Mexican, reading a paper and looking peacefully on from his own house, of being the sniper.

Dropping his paper, the Mexican went inside to reload. When he came out again on the balcony the glint of the gun caught the attention of Lieutenant Colonel Neville on horseback in the Plaza, a thousand or more yards away. Through his eight power field glass the colonel saw plainly the flash of the shots under the newspaper.

"Get him," he said, turning to this orderly.

The man raised his rifle, pressed the trigger--and the Mexican fell out of his chair.

--Henry Reuterdahl in Youth's Companion.
Problems worthy
of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back.
--Piet Hein

Maryetta

This web site is done by PBS and offers newspaper articles from that time period as well as text and video.  It is huge, so I guess you, or someone who knows exactly what you are looking for can review it to see what you may want to link to from it.

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/modules/revwar/links.html
"Beware. Beware of the thing that is coming.
Beware of the risen people, who shall take what ye would not give.
Did you think to conquer the people? Or that law is stronger than life, or than man's desire to be free?"
Padraig Pearse

Maryetta

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~burke1777/Dobsonv2.htm

Quote VII: Maj. Daniel McKissick Describing Dr. Dobson's Services

Not only did Dr. Dobson follow the army on campaigns, but he provided care for wounded soldiers at his plantation along the Catawba. Following the Battle of King's Mountain (7 October 1780), it was reported that Dr. Dobson's had over 18 wounded soldiers at one time billeted with him and under his care.

The Southern Colonies, particularly North Carolina, saw some of the most brutal fighting during the war. The war in the South has been described as a "civil war," with neighbor fighting against neighbor. Burke County was no different. Dr. Dobson's plantation was located along one of the major fords of the Catawba (Island Ford); with the road being the route taken on the return from King's Mountain. An interesting story involving Dr. Dobson's son, Joseph, Jr., illustrates the fighting in and around the Dobson plantation. At the time of this incident, Joseph Dobson, Jr. lived across the river from his father, Dr. Dobson:

... to your questions, I knew:

"Joseph Dobson and his place on the Catawba river and some miles below where Col. Carson lived I also know of an Islet in the river - around large rock, with a tray - shaped depression in it and it still is known by the name of Dobson's feed trough because it was there that Dobson and his horse spent their nights when ever the Tories were in the ajacend cut. Once when the Tories were a plundering said Dobson learned of their coming and prepared for them and as the road to his house lead through a wide swampy bottom the road made many zigzag bends and at each one of these Dobson placed a gun and when the raid was made Dobson killed and wounded several Tories by passing the river cuts from one gun to another and in this way had six fires on them before they got through. This caused him for months afterwards to spend his nights on his rock in the river."

Quote VIII: Silas McDowell Describes a Tory Raid and the Actions of Joseph Dobson, Jr.

Following the close of the Revolution, Dr. Dobson continued serving the population of western North Carolina as one of its only Physicians. He has been termed "the father of modern medicine in western North Carolina" and was, in his time, the only university educated Physician practicing in western North Carolina.

Dr. Dobson's Life in Frontier Burke County

As stated earlier, by 1768 Dr. Dobson was operating a private school on his plantation along the Catawba River. At least two of Dr. Dobson's students would become men of note in history. One was Joseph McDowell of Pleasant Gardens. Joseph McDowell apprenticed under Dr. Dobson to become a Physician. Joseph McDowell went on to become a hero of the Revolution, commanding a company at the Battle of King's Mountain and, following the war, was influential in civic and political affairs of Burke County and Western North Carolina. The second of Dr. Dobson's famous students was Felix Walker. Following his education from Dr. Dobson, Felix Walker served as a surveyor for Daniel Boone, a Senator from the Western North Carolina District, one of the organizers of the first government in Kentucky, and the first Clerk of Court of Washington County, Tennessee. Felix Walker stated in his diary, that in 1772:

... my father put me to school to Dr. Dobson of Burke County from whom I received the best education I have ever been in possession of...

Quote II: Felix Walker's Comments on Dr. Dobson's School

Life on the frontier of North Carolina was very dangerous at this time. The Cherokee Indians were an ever-present threat to the people who settled on what was then the western fringes of the colony. Following the close of the French and Indian War, the British government had established a boundary line to divide the Whites from the Indians. This line originally ran through what is now the eastern edge of Lake James; placing Dr. Dobson's plantation on the very fringes, if not within, the area reserved for the Cherokee. Encroachment into this "neutral zone" was not uncommon, as this land was good land that was basically free for the taking. There were certainly risk living in this virtual wilderness, however the rewards, should one survive, were great.

The individuals who settled along the upper Catawba found that they were basically "... living beyond the bounds of government...", a situation that they found to be very agreeable to themselves. By 1770, enough individuals were living in the western frontier of the county (the area was Rowan County at that time) that they felt the need to form a government of their own. Dr. Dobson's oldest son, John Dobson, was one of the men who, in 1770, signed a petition to request the establishment of a new county. The petition was denied, and it would be 1777 before the Legislature would pass a resolution to establish Burke County as the westernmost county in the new state. The failure to have a seat of government close did not encumber the residents of the upper Catawba, and Dr. Dobson was no different.

When the Revolution erupted in 1775, the British began making plans. One scheme was to have the Cherokee Indians go to war against the settlers on the western frontier. These acts of war would force the Americans to split their resources so as to protect the frontiers. In 1776, the plan was put into action. The Cherokee, enticed and encouraged by British agents, began unmerciful attacks along the frontier of North Carolina. These attacks were to be timed to coincide with a planned British invasion of Wilmington, NC and the uprising of the Scotch-Tories from the Cross Creek (now Fayetteville, NC) area. While the militia was tied up in putting down the Tory uprising and making the proper defense of Wilmington, the Indians were to begin their attacks. The western frontier would be left almost defenseless.

In July of 1776 a major attack struck the upper Catawba. Many helpless men, women, and children were killed. One of the children killed was a Dobson child, most likely the child of Dr. Dobson's son, John. The settlers in the vicinity of Dr. Dobson's plantation took refuge at the plantation of Charles McDowell at a fort called "McDowell's Station" or "Fort Charles." Dr. Dobson was responsible for the care of the sick and wounded during the siege of the fort. Militia General Griffith Rutherford, who had been dispatched from Salisbury, related the state of affairs along the Catawba to the Legislature. On 12 July 1776 Gen. Rutherford noted from his encampment near the head of the Catawba:

This is furder to acquent you of oure Troubles, ... one Middleton is killed there - Indians was seen meny miles furder Down the Cutaba River. I am applied Daley tow for Relefe; ancesly wating for youre Instructions; pray send, if Possible at Least 1000 lbs. more Powder.

Quote III: Gen. Griffith Rutherford on the Cherokee Attack of 1776

Two days later, the situation remained grim for Dr. Dobson and the others besieged at McDowell's Station. Gen. Rutherford was so disturbed over the state of affairs that he sent another urgent dispatch to the state Legislature:

I am under the Nessety of sending you by Express, The Allerming Condition this Contry is in, the Indians is making Grate prograce, in Distroying and Murdering, in the frunteers of this Contry, 37 I am Informes was killed last Wednesday and Thursday, on the Cuttaba River ...

Quote IV: Gen. Griffith Rutherford on the Cherokee Attack of 1776

The situation was not to remain grave for long. Troops were freed up to counter attack. With this knowledge, the Cherokee pulled back and Gen. Rutherford prepared to attack into their homeland. Dr. Dobson would go with Gen. Rutherford on this expedition. Also joining would be Dr. Dobson's son, Joseph Dobson, Jr., just back from the victorious campaign against the Scotch-Tories at the Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge. It is most probable that Dr. Dobson's older son, John Dobson, also went along (as he was a Militia Captain); however, this is only speculation as no documentation has been found.

Dr. Dobson's son, Joseph Dobson, Jr. gave this description of Rutherford's 1776 Cherokee Expedition:

We destroyed their Towns [and] crops and took a considerable amount of plunder. We returned and said company was discharged near the head of the Catawba River in Burke County NC during the campaign I was transferred from Capt. McDowell's Company to Capt. Thomas Lylles company of spies and served under him for some time.

Quote V: Joseph Dobson, Jr. on Rutherford's Expedition of 1776

William Lenoir, a Militia officer from adjoining Wilkes County, described the expedition against the Cherokee in his journal. He also provided some insight into the way of life of the people in the area where Dr. Dobson lived:

I believe our whole number was between two and three thousand, with small supply of ammunition and provisions. I believe the Gen'l himself was without a tent. A few officers and men had something like a wagon cover stretched to keep off the rain. There were very few imported blankets in camp, and at that time there was not a store within 45 miles of Fort Defiance, and very few sheep in this newly settled country and no attempt to raise cotton. Our whole means of procuring clothing were of hemp, flax and tow. Our blankets were usually made of the same materials, when striped, they were called Linsey blankets. At that time if a gentleman could procure a hunting shirt made of good tow linen and died black with a motto across the breast in large letters "Liberty or Death" and a pair of stout breeches and leggins of the same texture, and a buck's tail on his wool hat for a cockade, he was fine enough for anything. In fact, our good Gen'ls hunting shirt was inferior - a dingy colored, ordinary looking one, we had no government to provide for us, it being before our state constitution was formed.

Quote VI: William Lenoir on Rutherford's Cherokee Expedition of 1776

"Beware. Beware of the thing that is coming.
Beware of the risen people, who shall take what ye would not give.
Did you think to conquer the people? Or that law is stronger than life, or than man's desire to be free?"
Padraig Pearse

GunnerJim

From the New York Times, 22 Apr 1913

WEST VIRGINIA RIFLEMEN WIN

WASHINGTON, April 21.--The West Virginia State University Rifle Team, by scoring 980 points in its contest with the State University of Iowa, won the Westren Collegiate League championship and broke the intercollegiate indoor rifle shooting record of 978. The Iowa team, last ytear's chanpions, scored 962.  As a result of this victory the West Virginia team will now meet Harvard University, winners of the Eastern League championship, to determine the intercollegiate indoor rifle shooting championship of the United States for the year 1913.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
George Washington

GunnerJim

The NCAA News , May 2009

West Virginia got off to a slow start but recovered to claim the national title at the 2009 NCAA National Collegiate Rifle Championships at TCU Saturday.

After misfiring in smallbore on Friday, the Mountaineers rallied to an impressive victory in air rifle the following day to capture their 14th overall national championship and first in 11 years, snapping Alaska Fairbanks' string of three straight championships.

West Virginia, which registered a two-day point total of 4,643, is one of only five schools to capture the NCAA team title since the championships were established in 1980. Alaska Fairbanks, the defending national champion, finished fourth, 12 points behind third-place Jacksonville State (4,624) and14 points behind second-place Kentucky (4,638). Host TCU was fifth overall followed by Army, Navy and Nevada.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
George Washington

caseyblane

I missed this post. Did you see my flyer that I posted? I've attached it to this reply. At my new blog I am planning to write an entire series of articles that I am calling "Portrait of an American Rifleman" and then turn them in to AS flyers. I'm about to publish one about Isaac Davis. Next on my list is Captain Samuel Woodfill (WWI), Kintpuah "Captain Jack" of the Modoc Indian War, and Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers. I've been compiling a list of "riflemen" to write about. I'd love to help on this project.
The blog:
http://blogofcorrespondence.blogspot.com/
I'm also publishing them here:
http://americanrifleman.greathistory.com/
Thanks,
Casey
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.