News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wisconsin Monthly Shoots

Started by BELT FED JASON, September 04, 2007, 01:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BELT FED JASON

Next month we are taking the monthly shoot out to shiocton for the month.  September 8th at 9:00 we are going to beat the sight in season for a little long range shooting.  Bring your bolt guns, we are!  There will be gongs set up at 300 and 500 yards spotters and spotting scopes all you need is $3 and your rifle, dont have a bolt gun bring what you got.  there will be folks there to help get you on target.

Jason in Wisconsin

Fred

Shiocton!?!

Wish I could be there.

What a great range!

Have fun, guys. Let's have a good turnout!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

BELT FED JASON

AAR:  Shiocton

We meet up with the regulars and one from West Allis a 1 1/2 hour drive for a morning of spotting and long range shooting.  We did not shoot AQT targets but instead worked our 300-500 yard zeros on gongs and the dirt piles which are on the range.  Used the bullet splash to make sight adjustments.  Scoped rifles with bipods were abundant along with calibers larger than .308  Had a really great time at the range with people who are becoming close friends over the months we have been shooting together regularly.  Did not want to go home was having way too much fun. 

For october we are moving again!!!
Depere Wisconsin
October 13th 8:00 am a .22 only aqt shoot with an adventure walk.  Get set to stalk unseen targets through a xmas tree plantation!!!  We are still working out the details and I am not heading it up but Chad said it will be fun and challenging.  It is at his house because the ranges are way too full of the beer I mean deer hunters for any organized fun at them.

Give me a e-mail for directions.

Jason
(grouse hunting in wisconsin)
got 4 opening weekend!
wife got 1!!!!!   

FlyingDevildog

How far from Chicago?  I would like to know more.
Thank you

BELT FED JASON

Sorry for the late Replie FlyingDevildog I was on vacation

Depere is just south of Green Bay off of Highway 41 his house is about 4 miles west of the highway.  Our shoots are pretty informal we shoot through some of the targets the QDAQT is a favorite and others like the red coat target. 

If you are interested let me know and I can get all of the info for you.

Jason

BELT FED JASON

December AAR:

We were back in Kaukauna Wisconsin for the December monthly shoot.  Had 6 degrees above zero but that did not stop the few who always show up.  Scores were down due to lack of practice and the cold.  On a good note the hunters of the group did very well this year with the game they pursued.  I think the marksmanship practice we do monthly really pays off in the real world. 

We are shooting for the second saturday of each month for 2008 for our monthly shoots 9 am start.  Most will be held at the Kaukauna Sportsmans Club.  If the location changes we will make every effort to let interested parties know in advance. 

We are also planning on going to Shiocton more this year as a group of shooters to work together on our long range skills.  These dates will be posted here also.

We are planning on May 17th and 18th for the shiocton appleseed I can not reserve the range for 2008 untill Jan 1st 2008.  I will make the call on the January 2nd to reserve the range for the appleseed. 

Thats what I know for now. 

Jason     

The Guy

Good to hear.

I will be looking forward to the progress report!

Guy

BELT FED JASON

Montly shoot for January will be in Kaukauna at 9:00 on the 12th

We are planning shooting some 50 yard biathalon targets, with out the skiing just the shooting.
Along with the AQT's we always shoot.  Should be fun,  You can ski if you want we wont stop you.

Will make the call for the Shiocton Appleseed for May 24,25 to reserve the range today also.

That's it for now
Hope to see you soon

Jason

BELT FED JASON

AAR for Jaunary 12th mini in Kaukauna,

Had 4 shooters show up but no newbies, trying to get more folks involved but thay are not taking the bait.  One guy even knew what we were doing (AQT)and said he needs to order the guide and targets from Fred and start getting up to speed.  We said when you are ready we will be here but, why not try today for free rignt now.  Grumble Grumble, some excuses, and poof!!! he was gone like a ghost.  Oh well at least he knows we're here.

A 240 was shot on a QDAQT by my partner in all of this locally, I had a 224 with my new LTR 10-22 carbine with only the techsights,  need to get a sling,

A package of flyers when to each guy for the May Shiocton appleseed.

Next month back to the speed shoot and QDAQT on the 9th of Febuary in Kaukauna at 9:00 am

Jason     

Fred

Jason, glad you are keeping a small, warm AQT flame going.

Persistence, that is the key. (Along with grit, determination, commitment - all the things modern Americans lack - some lump them all under the single word, "backbone".)

Now, if we can just convince people those scores were shot because of the cold, we may trigger mass migration to the northern states for the winter.

Come to think of it, I never heard Nickle bragging about shooting high AQT scores during warm weather, either. ;D

Maybe there is something to cold weather shooting us southerners don't know or appreciate. I'm talking zero degrees here, rebels, not 45 or 55!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Old Dog

Well, let's list some of the advantages of shooting in real cold weather.

1.  Only the really dedicated folks come out to shoot (that's an advantage).

2.  For the new folks I'm sure the extra layers of cold proofing soak up a good bit of recoil  ;)

3.  The thick gloves surely reduce the effects of anyone who might be a trigger jerker  ;)

4.  The additional head/ear coldproofing equipment surely must further reduce the sound of the rifle firing  ;D

5.  The targets are frozen in place and therefore not as likely to move on you while you're trying to get good sight alignment.  ;)

6.  I'm sure one of the effects of the temperatures is that folks concentrate real hard on doing it right the first time so they can get done and get back inside where it's warm and dry. ;D

Have I missed any?

But seriously, back to number one - the goof offs and those who aren't willing to put forth the necessary effort won't show up to drag down the good folks who do care.  A group of inspired people will perform better (feed off each others attitude and performance) that a group made of some who care and some who don't.

Have a good one.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

slim

And let's not forget what the weather was like on Apr. 19, 1775. It wasn't exactly warm when those Riflemen faced down the Redcoats.

Part of being a good Rifleman is being a well-rounded Rifleman. Oblivious to cold, impervious to wind and rain.....

Wade

1 other advantage to really cold weather and shooting the AQT frozen Targets are much easyer to read(for score) then rain soaked one's.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

BELT FED JASON

Update:

Cold and newborns kept the crowds away for February,

Still had a good small group of regular shooters who turned in poor scores for the month, excluding your truley who now feels shooting the aqt with a .22 should have a handicap, like subtract 22 points for using a .22 or something.  I have turned in my best scores ever with a 10-22, a 239 and a 222 back to back in the freezing cold, I think we had 5 above zero, come on what is going on here?  Do I have a flinch with a more substantial rifle I don't know about?

Ball and dummy for March is on order,  Probably will have to do it sitting if we are lucky, we are 5 inches of snow away from the record!  How does 65 inches of the white stuff since x-mas sound, 75 total so far with more to come.

I tried the Tom Sawyer thing with the neighbors.  Hey this is so much fun shoveling and running this snowblower around, want to try?

Not working so well.

Well we'll be back at something March 8th 9:00 at the Kaukauna Sportsmans Club

Ball and Dummy for sure along with what ever else the group decides to try, 

Take care,

Jason

BELT FED JASON

Just can not escape winter up here.
Cold weather and a hazardously icy range kept some of the regulars away.

Had two new shooters at last Saturdays mini.
Thanks to Joe and Jason for coming to check it out.

Next month a salad shoot has been requested,
I checked the price of onions 5 lbs for $2.99
So show up on the 12th of april and help us make some salad.

High powered scoped rifles tend to make smaller salad pieces :)

hope to see you there, at the Kaukauna Sportsmans Club at 9 am

Jason

Fred

Jason: Believe you set a new standard for that quintessential rifleman trait: persistence. Great! I love it! Appleseeding in the snow! Gosh, it must be so soft and comfortable, laying on the snow. And after a few centerfire rounds, prob a clear area around the muzzle, right? :D

Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Thanks for being an example to others. One day, awed Wisconsians (geez, "cheeseheads" rolls much nicer off the tongue ;D) will visit the Wisconsin Appleseed Museum, and there'll be an old guy there, caging quarters by telling the story, to awed gasps, of how he once knew "Kaukauna", and even shot - more awed gasps! - with him!

colycat

Shiocton guys, are are interested in new people to join your bi weekly shoot?  Im in Baraboo only two hours away.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

BELT FED JASON

colycat,
We sure are, if you need info private mail me i'll get you what you need to know

we shoot every 2nd saturday of each month in Kaukauna WI

Jason

colycat

Hey, Colycat from Baraboo,

want to be part of of you guys and gals.  I mailed Jason for info.

Looking forwarard to meet everyone.

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

fepowered

I am in Green Bay.    I will PM for more info....
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

BELT FED JASON

This Saturday is on as usuall, Kaukauna Sportsmans Club 9:00 am QDAQT and anything else we can come up with,  I'll be there at 8:50 or so,

Last month for April we had snow again not much but snow,  I think it kept some of the regulars in bed, we had 5 shooters, one who really suprised me is a guy from the trap leauge who read the flyer I put up at the range and looked at the sample target, asked if his remington .22 was ok to use and showed up and had a great time, two really bad weather shoots in a row march and april, I'm hoping he shows up now that the weather is nice. 

Well take care and hope to see you soon in Kaukauna

Jason

funfaler

Hey Wisconsin folks,

Been pounding the pavement on getting the word out for May's Appleseed?!!

There will be some VIPs there, not to mention we have the whole facility, shame to only have to use a small portion of the whole facility.

Sounds like there is plenty of room at this range, we have the whole thing, let's filler up.

This is the only Appleseed in Wisconsin for 2008, you folks need to take advantage of it, drag them kicking and screaming if need be. ;) ;D

Not to mention Illinois North needs to get in on this, not often you all can breath the air of a freer state, take advantage of the actual distance shooting in the Northland.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

BELT FED JASON

Update:

(I forgot I have a prior engagement saturday june 14th and will not be able to make the shoot,  Chad is leaving to hunt prairie dogs saturday some time he said he may be able to make the shoot but was not sure,  I'll contact the regulars who shoot with us and see if any of them are going to make the shoot,  If they are I'll leave the target pile at the range somewhere cause the building is gone and those who wish to shoot still will be able to work on qdaqt's and whatever else is in the target pile.

Jason

The Kaukauna Sportsmans Club is in the process of a renovation, new building, level concrete firing line, and new over head covers.  the concrete will be poured and cured by then but 1/2 of the roof is missing for now. 

Chad has an new idea, A rapid fire sportsmans challenge, Something like 35 rds offhand in a min 1/2. he has the targets I have not seen them yet, should be fun.  I think it is done at 25yds, should be great for all those new 10-22's I've been seeing.

June 14th 9:00am start time QDAQT and sportsmans challenge
hope to see you there

Jason 

fepowered

Looks like I won't have a 2nd Saturday off until September.  :(    I work every other weekend, so depending on how many days in the month, it takes a few months for the order to change. 
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are

griffin1340

8)Hmm! Second Saturday of the month....I'm gonna show up one of these day's! ;D
RIFLEMAN & A great cook! How about that!

BELT FED JASON

Saturday July 12th is on

I'll be at the Kaukauna Sportsmans Club at 9:00 shooting AQT's

Jason

fepowered

I just realized that the September shoot is the Long Lake Appleseed......     I guess that I will have to wait until October for the next Kauauna shoot.....

colycat

Jason,

Are you guys still doing minis?  If not lets post a weekend for one.  I am really joansen for some shooting with fellow patriots.

Coly

BELT FED JASON

Hi all, back from the hunting season
pretty sucessfull and enjoyable time.

I will be at the Kaukauna range 9:00 am this saturday for some AQT shooting if anyone is interested.

I will be in more contact now, till next hunting season ;D

Jason

Old Glory!

Jason, 

Glad to hear you are back, and had a successful hunt this year! 

Thanks for continuing the winter mini tradition in Wisconsin.    O0 8)  You are a hardy soul. <:)   

I asked Winnequah for an April 19 shoot, but have not heard back yet. 

Will you line up Shioctin again, please? :~   
Let's get this slacker state going for 2009!  ;D

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion