News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Knob Creek, KY - April 25&26

Started by kyboltman, April 26, 2009, 08:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyboltman

To set the background, this weekend was my first Appleseed event AND the first rifle training/education course I have ever taken.  I have taken handgun courses but never a rifle course. 

The instructors were top notch!  Extremely professional, proficient and pleasant to learn from and everyone of them taught me something very useful.  The course was very well organized, efficiently run and extremely beneficial.  The historical stories and insight into the brave men and women who started this country make me proud to be an American and extremely sad due to its current state.

I went to the event with what I have, a Remington magazine fed bolt action rifle with aperture sights that is 20 years older than I am.  I knew the course was intended for semi-auto rifles and just went to learn and improve, and improve I did.  My first AQT on Saturday was a 149.  By the time I had the rifleman's cadence down and learned the peculiarities of my rifle, I was shooting in the high 190's and low 200's by lunch on Sunday.  After some ups and downs in the afternoon, I shot a 211 and then a 218 to prove to myself that it was not an accident.  We also had 2 others earn their Rifleman badges today.

Go to an Appleseed event.  Have an open mind, listen and follow the instructions given and you will improve.  It is hard but fun work and worth all of the effort.

Keep your powder dry.

kyboltman

Mudcat

Congratulations KYboltman! After looking at you shoot yesterday and seeing your will to improve I was glad you came back for sunday. I believe someone said they had "high hopes for you on sunday". You kept trying and your persistance paid off in the end. You were a joy to work with anytime someone would make a correction to your position you would say "thank you". I hope to see you at an Appleseed again soon.

Garand Dame, I was so glad to see you finally see you score a 210 today. After having you at 2 Appleseeds and listening to your desire to break the 210 barrier, I know it was a great accomplishment for you as well. You too earned it and should be very proud! Now you need to really think about that 7th step and also getting Clark on the line.

Brian ( I hope I am remembering your name correctly), you too did very well with shooting Rifleman at your 1st Appleseed.

Julie you too were knocking on the door and I believe without equipment troubles you would have been our 4th. I am very confident you will claim your Rifleman patch soon. You showed great progress this weekend and should be very proud.

Knob Creek Range is a great place and we always have a great time with the people who come out to Appleseed with us there.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Trisha

Garand Dame congratulations! I knew you could do it!!!! When we last talked you were had so much desire and you put so much effort into scoring that 210! I am happy to hear you did it.

I have to agree with Mudcat, Knob Creek is the place to be...thats where I became a Rifleman. Everyone there was so nice and thoughtful so I am glad to hear that nothing changed since I was there last month.

Congrats to all the other Rifleman and maybe I will see you on the road somewhere.

Garand Dame

Congratulations to all who were able to attend the Knob Creek Appleseed!  It was FANTASTIC! 
Every one on the line gave it their all and three riflemen were made.  A special well done to our new Riflemen: Douglas and Brian. I am happy to join your ranks.  Saturday was a fun and fact filled day with very professional instruction.  The teamwork displayed by the instructors was impressive, as always.  The instruction was extensive.  I learned something valuable from each and every one of you.  Sunday was AQT, AQT,AQT..... as the instruction continued.  The sun was shining, the wind was blowing and it was a glorious weekend.  Trisha you were right - three times is a charm!  This was my third Appleseed at beautiful Knob Creek Gun Range in Westpoint Ky.  I was really having my doubts whether or not I was going to get my patch.  But, my instructors never gave up on me.  "Today I am a woman who knows well what she is about."  Thanks to all who stood and sat by my side and said "Your draggin' wood," and many other kind words of encouragement.  It's exciting to be part of such a great group of patriots who are changing the direction of this country one Rifleman at a time - or three Riflemen at a time.  When I think back to last October when I had never even picked up a Rifle before and the patience and perseverance that the instructors had then and today.  These men and women who volunteer their time energy and effort are a very special breed.   Now as I go out to spread the Appleseed message of  our American Heritage and Marksmanship I hope that I can honor them with the effort of my actions.

funfaler

Very Good and Congratulations to all of you!

Kentucky needs help in reconnecting the Blue Grass to their American Heritage and Traditions.

The potential in Kentucky is great!  5 locations for Appleseed, with a couple of new potentials.  In state Instructors.  Surrounded by states that are active and progressing......

Getting the folks of Kentucky to see the value in the program, to help get the word out.  This is what Kentucky needs.

The next Kentucky Appleseed is in Carrollton, KY, May 16-17.  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6117.0  Download some flyers here and pass them around  O0

It is centered between Louisville and Cincinnati, with the potential to draw from each. 

Only 11 registered now, with room for hundreds........

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

brdholman

Brad, not Brian. :) I would like to thank all the instuctors, Bull, Big John, Posterity, XD Man, Mud Cat, Don and Mrs. Don. All gave great instruction, and were happy to help load mags, loan guns, joke about my wife out shooting me, and even lay in the gravel beside you to make sure you are keeping your eyes open. Thank you all. I came thinking that if I learned one thing that helped me be a better shooter it would be worth the money, but I learned a lot more than one thing. I have shot most all my life, but got more and better instuction here than everywhere else combined. My flinching issue is better, my trigger control better, cadance better, npoa was non-existant untill now, and scores much better. I started Sat. in the 140 range, got my patch at @218 on Sun and had a best of 221 late Sun. afternoon. I couldn't have done it without the knowledge and tireless efforts of the instructors. My wife also shot excellent and we are already recruiting and planing for another appleseed. Everyone shot well and worked hard. Congradulations Garand Dame you never missed an opportunity to shoot and learn, and Ky bolt man that was some of the best bolt gun work I have ever seen in timed shooting. I am now looking at IBC locations, we'll see.....  Pics to follow when Julie Can log on, I'm not smart enough to do it.

BMH

Congrats to Kybolt, GarandDame and Brad ( I was Brain ;) ) I didn't see Brad shoot any, but I was certain Garand Dame and Kyboltman were going to make Riflemen after Saturday! Both were doing terrific, I am still amazed how Kybolt's barrel barely moved after each reload and changing clips, he was dialed in! I had a fantastic time even though I started off horribly. The instructors kept with me. Pointing out the little things that were holding me back. Unfortunately, I had to switch to my secondary rifle very early and didn't bring enough ammo to use for the whole day so I missed the last AQT. I wish I had been able to make Sunday, but life (wife) had different plans for me. I plan on being at the next Appleseed in Sept. @ Knob Creek. In the mean time I've been in positions at home ("if you're comfortable, you're not doing it right") and walking around work with a pen in my hand :)

Doug once again thanks for letting me use your stapler and knee pads, they were a lifesaver! 

Mudcat

Sorry Brad and Brian I am terriable with actual names. I hope to see you all at Knob Creek again in Sept.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

brdholman

I picked 'KYjam' for obvious reasons if anyone saw me shoot, but maybe it should have been 'follow-through'.  haha  I need to practice with my pen. 

I had a great time.  Both Brad and I thought I would quit by lunch on Saturday, but I was excited as can be by then.  I've only had one pistol class, one pistol shoot, picked up the Marlin Papoose twice, and Brad's AR once (gosh that thing is loud and the brass is annoying).  So it thrilled me to learn the fundamentals of shooting a rifle.  If you don't have those, you don't have much.  A big thank you to all the instructors for teaching me those and laughing with me when I did something wrong for the 50th time.  Your patience is much appreciated, you are gentlemen, as were our forefathers.

Don, I can't thank you enough for letting me borrow your Ruger and helping me through the jams.  I was hoping to make Marksman when I came and couldn't believe I got a 202.  I was amazed!  I've been telling everybody. :D  And you were a large part of that. 

Fellas, if you can't get your wife or daughter to go, tell them this is a terrific opportunity to spend quality time together and they will remember it the rest of their lives.  Having my husband and my dad there was priceless.  Every woman should be so lucky.

I'm attaching some pics. 
001 - Brad, KYboltman, Don, and Garand Dame
005 - Brad and me shooting (now I see why I had trouble, need that chicken wing!)
006 - Brad in prone
012 - Brad and me
013 - Me and my dad, Steve

We are searching for a gun for me so we can go to the Carollton shoot next month.  Anyone going to be there?

kentuckyjam

I'm the computer programmer, but didn't realize I was logged in under Brad's ID.   %)

That last post was from me.  I did forget to say that the best moment of the weekend was when Brad got Rifleman.  I was too proud!
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

dond

Congratulations to all the shooters. It's always such a  pleasure to  help students who are so anxious to learn. And you certainly did learn and improve. Of course a special congratulations to the ones who achieved Rifleman status. It's especially gratifying to see that you have already begun the 7th step. I look forward to working with you as you become IITs.

It was also a pleasure to work with such a dedicated and conscientious group of instructors. It is obvious the shooters appreciated the devoted, individual help and respect you gave them.

Sixteen shooters showed up on Saturday morning to begin their journey into history and marksmanship. The weather couldn't have been better for the event. There was some rather strong wind, but it didn't have any significant affect on the target line. All the shooters showed improvement that day, and six returned on Sunday to another ideal day. And of these six, three earned the Rifleman patch. And I'm confident  a fourth one would have too, if she hadn't been plagued with so many rifle malfunctions. But I see from the above posts, as well as the determination she exhibited, that she too will persevere, like a true Rifleman, until that goal is achieved. I think her husband is even planning to buy her a new rifle, in addition to her new pistol.

KYjam, I wrote the above before I saw your post. Thank you for such a great post, and the pictures. And for achieving such a great score with so many jams. I don't see how you did it. And I feel terrible because it was my rifle you were using. I feel responsible for you not getting a Rifleman patch.

A special thank you is also given to the range management who were so congenial and cooperative. Especially for volunteering to have the grill open for us on both days.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

bigjohn

Hello Shooters,
         I am glad to read about all the great experiences you had, knowledge you gained and I look forward to seeing you all again at other shoots.
KYjam showed great promise and I wondered who would become a Rifleman first,her or her husband! He beat her out but I have a sneaky suspicion that some of those "jams"  she had were not equipment related >:D .
        There were several examples of people surpassing  hurdles ,persisting through discomfort , overcoming hardships -all encouraging to watch as shooter developed -Congratulations to all   O0.
         To the new Riflemen and Riflewomen, welcome to ranks!

Thanks Dond for all your and Mrs.Dond's preperation and to all the other Instructors -it was good to work with you!

Big John

"The tree of Liberty must ,at times, be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants"

Cigardoctor

Congrats to all the new riflemen/women at the shoot. This was my first appleseed I do not think that it will be the last . I learned a lot and had a blast . I did not get to make Sunday but after  some home practice , I shall return. Many thanks to Dond, Mrs Dond, Mudcat, Xdman, Bull, Bigjohn , and Posterity for their fine teaching. Will see you next time.

kentuckyjam

Got Marlin 795s today, yep 2 of them.  And we signed up for Carrollton.  Anyone else going?

bigjohn

"The tree of Liberty must ,at times, be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants"

bigjohn

Quote from: kyjam on April 30, 2009, 08:41:41 PM
Got Marlin 795s today, yep 2 of them.  And we signed up for Carrollton.  Anyone else going?
If you haven't already ,check out the topic on Marlin 795 on this forum.

Mudcat

--George Washington

hawkhavn

I'll be there if Kentucky will have me...

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

kentuckyjam

Very cool, you all can hound me on what I'm doing wrong.  Got to read most of the posts on 795.  One issue I'm having - Motel 6 says they don't have a motel in that area.  Is exit 44 off of highway 44 or another one?  Thanks!

Mudcat

Don't forget to do some dryfiring from all positions. It will help greatly with your performance on live fire and to make the positions easier to get into and be comfortable.
--George Washington

mrstang01

Just got a chance to reply to this, I had to deal with work issues on Sunday, but MAN, I had a blast, and I learned a ton.  Thanks to all the instructors.  Now that I've got my rifle dialed in, I'll be doing this again, I'm going for the patch next.

Michael

dond

Good for you Michael. I know you'll make it. It was good working with you.   :~
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken