News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

WEST LEBANON, NH, MAY 16-17, 2009, AFTER ACTION REPORT

Started by Firewall99, May 19, 2009, 03:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewall99

The West Lebanon shoot was the first Appleseed shoot to take place at the Grafton County Fish & Game Club on their covered, 100 yd. centerfire range.  The club's representatives very much liked what they saw and will work now to bring us back for a fall shoot.

The club's Vice President was so impressed with Appleseed's skill and professionalism and the nature of the program that he wants to sign up himself for the next shoot!

The weather was cool, wet, and threatening to rain most of the weekend.

The Appleseed instructor staff were mostly new to each other but worked together fantastically.  The instructors on hand were:

John (Firewall99) - Shoot Boss
   Chris (Crak)
   Bill (Freestater)
   Jonathon (jj-22)
   Mark (Brother Mark)
   Andy (Andy in NH)
   Len (LKB3rd)

For the first time ever in an Appleseed shoot, we had our own independent Smithy on hand for Saturday.  Smithy (His Appleseed forum name is "tony.") did an excellent job outfitting the shooters with slings and adjusting scopes.  He performed all installations and adjustments for free!  (I don't know how long that will last, but get'em while they're hot.)

Smithy took one shooter from a brand new, out of the box 10/22 to an almost complete LTR in about half an hour.  He installed new studs, loops, and an M1 Garand sling.  He even disassembled the action and modified the auto bolt release right on the spot.  All for the cost of the hardware!  But for the lack of sufficient cash, this shooter could have had the "Full Monty" when she later decided between Tech-sights or a scope.  Smithy had both on hand for about the same price ($50-55).  Shooters need to remind themselves to bring some extra cash for equipment issues.

We had 18 shooters on Saturday and 11 shooters on Sunday.

We made three Riflemen for a 17% rate.  One shooter made his Rifleman for the second time and stepped up to become an Instructor in Training (IIT).  Looks like a New Englander to me.

The shooters who stuck it out the next day all made remarkable progress.  The shooter with the out-of-the-box 10/22 managed to go from NO hits on the first Redcoat and near total frustration to qualifying as Marksman by the end of Sunday.  This was in spite of a cross-eye dominance issue which we eventually ameliorated.  She was so happy and amazed, that I almost cried.  This is what we live for.  We gave her a "Most Improved" award.  Next time she'll have a scope and will no doubt make Rifleman.

And that's the way it was on May 16-17, 2009.
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

SeanO

John,

Great report!  Congratulations on your first gig as Shoot Boss.  Sounds like it was well worth all the hard work you've been doing.  Hope to join you later in the summer.

Best, Sean O'
If you can't find a way, make one.