News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hallstead PA Appleseed July 25th-26th 2009

Started by B9, May 10, 2009, 06:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Thanks to Mooney and kDan for getting this one going. Yes, it is the same weekend as the Beaver Falls PA shoot.
kDan will be Shoot Boss for this one so get signed up now to learn from one of the best. If you are an IIT get signed up now to give kDan a hand making Riflemen.
This is right on the NY/PA boarder close to Binghamton and Scranton off of Interstate 81.

Range: Hallstead-Great Bend Rod & Gun Club

Address: 3340 Dubois Street, Hallstead, PA

When: July 25th - 26th, 2009

Range Fee: $5.00 per person/per day. Under 21 years old, active Military, Guard/Reserve and all women are exempt from the fee.

Camping Available: No on site camping at this time. April Valley Campsites, 570-756-2688. Camp at East Lake, 570-465-2267, Camp of Nations, 570-756-2200

Hotels: Blue Ridge Motel, 570-465-2675. Colonial Brick Inn, 800-290-3922. Endless Mountain Lodge, 570-465-2126

Directions: Exit 230 off of I-81 to Route 11 south. Left at stop light. take first right after crossing the river onto Susquehanna Ave. Take first right onto Church Street. Take second left onto Dubois Street/County Road 1037. Range is approx 1.5 miles on the left.

GPS:  41.951195,-75.765509‎

State Laws to be aware of: Leave ALL firearms in your car until after the safety briefing. Check State Laws: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/PASL.pdf

Misc: Food will be available on site for a reasonable fee. Range Rules: No loaded firearms on the range unless on the firing line and load command has been given. Eye and ear protection required. No shooting before 8am or after dusk or 8pm. This range has 100 yard lane available.

For More Information Contact: Ed Burrell at NY@APPLESEEDINFO.ORG or 607-727-9282

Registration Link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/343138336
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

kDan

When do we get a flier for this one?

This is a nice spot.  Surrounded by trees on three sides and a stream on the fourth.  The lodge is state of the art in log cabin spaghetti dinner chic, and there's even an indoor toilet to compliment the old school crescent-moon-in-the-door outhouse.  Little restaurant in town a couple miles away, over-looking the mighty Susquehanna River, has excellent fish 'n chips for like five bucks.  I mean, really good, Yuengling battered fish 'n chips.  The tartar sauce is a little sweet, so I recommend asking for mayonnaise, but I digress.  Walking around, I found a graveyard with 18th century markers.  Probably some Rev War Vets buried around here.  We should have plenty NYer's and Pennsylvania Rifleman on sight.  I met with the Range officers and they were very excited about the prospects for both this shoot and for more in the future. 

I know everybody in PA has a rifle and can shoot, but can they do it Appleseed style?  For the most part, I'd have to say I don't think so.  PA is full of public ranges where folks can wave their muzzles all over the place (yikes!) and put rounds into $1 "Shoot 'n See" glow in the dark targets from sand-bags at 100 yards, but how bout going prone with more than three rounds!?  That's the public range limit.  Ever hear of BSZ?  C'mon PA! Even you guys who do manage to get off the couch a couple of times a year to sight in your deer rifles need to come out for this one.  Get off the BENCH and into the DIRT!   :~

Bring your neighbors!  Bring your kids!  Bring your wife!  Bring your neighbor's kids and wife!   I mean neighbors, kids, and wife! 

You will however need to bring more than one box of ammo.  And maybe some ibuprofen.  Sun block, a good hat - this will be a scorcher I reckon.  But we can always take a dip in the stream.  And I'll look for some more North Bridge water for new Riflemen.

I've only got one hour to travel to this one.  Maybe I'll just go home Saturday night.  Appleseed Sleepover!!!  I call first shower!

Gotta give thanks to our man on the scene, George.  Great guy - in spite of his jokes  ::) - helped a lot getting this going.  George really made it happen.  He even re-named my dog!  "Meatball" will be there and is determined to find whatever it is he smelled out there in the field.  Maybe he'll get to roll around in his first carcass.

Thanks, Mooney!  Nice work.  Best wishes and hope to see you on the line. 

And let's here it for B-9, stepping back over the line into PA when the call is made!   O0  I wish you could make it brother!  You're gonna love this range.  I'll see you in two weeks anyway.  Van Etten, 5/23 - area folks should make this one two.  It's like two hours from Hallstead and a great facility.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Chainsaw

Crickey!  I've been waiting for this one and wouldn't you know I'm already going to Beaver Falls that weekend (see you there Ed).  I really wanted in on the first NEPA shoot :(

I'm close enough to do some promotional damage though.

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

B9

Quote from: Chainsaw on May 11, 2009, 02:03:15 PM
Crickey!  I've been waiting for this one and wouldn't you know I'm already going to Beaver Falls that weekend (see you there Ed).  I really wanted in on the first NEPA shoot :(

I'm close enough to do some promotional damage though.

Yeah, darn it. I guess we will be just as well get prepared for the days when there are many shoots on the same weekend in PA. There are only 52 weekends a year.

I made an error on the state laws section of the EIP and put NY laws on it. Now fixed.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

ghrit

adinfo -

Quote from: B964 on May 10, 2009, 06:34:57 AM

Website:  http://www.freewebs.com/hallstead-greatbendrod-gunclub/ - Under construction but open for business.

When: July 25th - 26th, 2009

Hotels: Blue Ridge Motel, 570-465-2675 - New Milford. Colonial Brick Inn, 800-290-3922 - Hallstead. Endless Mountain Lodge, 570-465-2126 - New Milford.   Also a Holiday Inn Express in Gibson about ten miles south off I-81 exit 219  570-465-5544   There are some other motels in NY on RT 11, notably Kirkwood.  I have no info on them at all.

In addition to the restaurant mentioned by kDan, there are a bunch of fast food places in Halstead, about 3 miles from the range at the intersection of Rt 11 and SR171, right at exit 230.

To all that think you have to go to Beaver Falls that weekend, I can't help wondering if B964 would switch your registrations.  ;D
Regards
http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/index.php
30-06 - Billions served
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.

B9

With a six hour drive between these two shoots, I don't think they will compete with each other for shooters. Just about every person in PA will have a shoot with in a max three hour drive.

Medea Benjamin

Arrigetch

I would be interested in a fall shoot at this location, or somewhere else in NE PA / NW NJ.  While I would love to attend this one, unfortunately I will not be around for this particular date.  I also have some friends interested in coming this time.

Cheers Christina

lprgcfrank

Looking forward to working with kdan on this shoot and advancing from IIT4 to Instructor!
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

kDan

Frank,

I have one Red Hat, aside from my own stinker.  It's still clean and tucked in plastic the way I got it, and it's yours as long as you fill out your IPC and demo what you have to.  

Biggest difference from what you've been teaching and what we teach...  hmm...  field or tactical...  I guess we lean back when y'all lean forward.    :~ 

I look forward to being an RSO (or shooter) when you Shoot Boss next time around.  Pennsylvania is on the move!  Course of Fire in the works.  Just give me a few days to get over Van Etten.   

See you there, bro.  Seriously missed you at Hartford.  I hope you weren't on the tube feeder line at Harvard.  eew. 

-d-
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

lprgcfrank

Dan,
Harvard line was fun - Nickle did a good job of breaking me in on Sat with 16 on the line.  I got the newbies & half of Crak's line (my part was 16) on Sunday - got 2 riflemen out of them too :-) Mostly 10-22's - a Garand and a Socom and only 2 AR's. I think Crak gave Fred the tube feeders  :P
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

auto-x fil

kDan

We can go out to 200 on sunday, but we mostly work at 25 meters.

We've only got 6 folks registered for this event.  We need to get the word out. 

Everybody, talk it up at the gun shop, the gun shows, work, McDonalds, toll-booths, gas stations and the dinner table.  I'd like to see at least 20 people here.  That way we can justify making the line longer for next time.  Its a real nice range.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

auto-x fil

I sent an email asking to move my registration from the Beaver Falls event to this one - that will add three people. I will also talk it up at the gun store here in Montrose.

kDan

Yes!  nothing like sniping other events. 

Glad to have you aboard, auto!  Keep it close to home if ya can.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

GaranDGunn

A few questions.

I just went to my first appleseed this last sat/sun at the Winslow NJ event.  This event is about 3 hours drive for me but that's not too bad.   However I would only be able to attend sunday as I finish work at 6pm Saturday.

Would there be any loaner 10-22's?   I'm still awaiting my Firearms ID card here in NJ which takes a bit.  Hopefully in the next week or two I'll get it and can start working on my Liberty training rifle.  :)

Also anyone have experience with any of the camping grounds there.  I use a hennesy Hammock so wooded grounds rather than really cleared out sites for RVs are best.  Cheap is a good thing too :P

Rolling this around in my head, I'll assume registration probably ends thursday or so.  So I guess I'll have to decide soon.

G

B9

GaranDGunn, if you can only make it Sunday, then do it. You were only a few details away from a Rifleman's score. Do like VA said and shoot a perfect AQT in your mind while dry firing. Since you don't have a rifle improvise something to simulate for now.

Bring a friend to share the driving.
Medea Benjamin

lprgcfrank

i'm an IIT for this and will be bringing a scoped loaner 10/22 and a loaner AR with a red dot 
You are welcome to one
frank 

ghrit

It looks like we at Hallstead-Great Bend are ready for this weekend.   O0  Y'all come.
30-06 - Billions served

B9

26 pre-registered as of now and counting.
Medea Benjamin

GaranDGunn

Alright, I'm coming for Sunday.  Can't take off from work for saturday two weeks in a row.  Hopefully there will be an extra rifle, as I'm still awaiting my Firearms ID card to start on my Liberty Trainer 22.    See you all then

mooney

Quote from: Arrigetch on May 15, 2009, 10:16:05 PM
I would be interested in a fall shoot at this location, or somewhere else in NE PA / NW NJ.  While I would love to attend this one, unfortunately I will not be around for this particular date.  I also have some friends interested in coming this time.

Cheers Christina

Christina,

Where are you located? Manheim should be close enough to take care of that Appleseed itch until Hallstead decides to schedule another AS. PM me your email address and I will keep you up to date on all the PA shoots.

Mooney
PA Sate Coordinator
pa@appleseedinfo.org
RWVA.org
Mooney

Frontsight

Christina - I think I remember you from Allemans back in the spring.  I just brought a couple of nephews to the Manheim shoot Mooney mentioned above and it was really good.  Much smaller crowd than Allemans, more individualized attention.  It's only about 5 minutes off the Pa turnpike too.  Think about it!

Frontsight

GaranDGunn

Sunday looks to be rainy.  Is it covered or open range?  I'll be picking up a $5 pvc poncho just in case.

ghrit

Last I saw on the weather channel, warm, sunny and humid on Saturday.  Sunday calls for isolated t-storms.  Which means to me that shooting will happen regardless.  Poncho is good.  I use one for a shooting mat anyway.  If it gets too bad, the clubhouse will hold over 100 folks, so we should be good to go.
30-06 - Billions served

GaranDGunn

Unless there is a range in the clubhouse you can count on me being in the mud and dirt and grime with my cheek to the stock and my eye on the target.  I've got a rifleman qualification to make.   :~

B9

Quote from: GaranDGunn on July 23, 2009, 04:45:20 PM
Unless there is a range in the clubhouse you can count on me being in the mud and dirt and grime with my cheek to the stock and my eye on the target.  I've got a rifleman qualification to make.   :~

I am sure you meant eye on the frontsight.
Medea Benjamin

GaranDGunn