News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Another DAR in Slippery Rock?

Started by Cowdog, May 10, 2010, 04:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowdog

Last weekend's AS at the Slippery Rock Sportman's Club went very well. Club officers were impressed. I have also applied to joined the club.
As it is only three miles from my farm/DAR, I had a few thoughts I wanted to share for your input............

The range at my farm DAR is 3/4 miles from the township road. My logging/farm road to the range is impassable in bad weather by normal cars. I cannot build a permanent structure at my range site due to a limestone mining lease that will probably activate in the next two years.  The club has advantages of a nice clubhouse, hot food, shelters, toilets, and running water. However, range capacity is 14 versus 35+ at my farm. Camping on site may also be a problem due to locked gates.

I am thinking about approaching the club to take the DAR with me remaining BTOG. I am happy to continue making the farm available, but after this shoot I really see the advantages of better facilities to facilitate learning. The club has 200 members but few other events. I think they might respond well. They have been reaching out to Slippery Rock University students and the site is only a spit from campus.

I would like everyone elses' thought on this matter, especially those who have been to the DAR.  If this works, we could maybe move August, September, and October? Good idea or bad?

My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

B9

There is something to be said for facilities and a commercial range as a DAR or shoot location in general. They have a membership that once involved can maintain the shoots and the comforts can attract people. Once shooters get a taste of it then maybe they will have no problem with a week long Boot Camp eating worms and sleeping in the mud. Examples like SaraSpa and Burlington Flats are ranges that are basically self sufficient and self promoting. Reducing capacity in half is not good (someone will be right along to slap you for that. ::) in 4,3,2.....) but relays could be done.
Why not keep them both on the schedule and let the Slippery Rock Sportman's Club ramp up into it? Any room for them to expand the line someday?  
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Cowdog

Hey B9,
There is room. Getting dirt for the backstop is the main impediment.

BTW, We actually had a bit of confusion having two different  Appleseed locations in one small town.   
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Big H

In my opinion, our target audience is not into roughing it. Nice facilities are a big plus to draw in those who've never shot before- and they may decide to join the Sporstman's Club. You also won't have to worry about canceling in bad weather due to impassable roads. If you're willing to host campers during Sportsman's Club AS, that would be nice. Looking at pre-registrations, sell-outs are not a concern yet- and if there are sell-outs, you can start adding shoots at the Tim Murphy Range!

So switching seems a good idea. But I'm an Eastern PA instructor, see what the Western PA/WV/OH group says.

Cowdog

Quote from: Big H on May 11, 2010, 12:42:09 AM
In my opinion, our target audience is not into roughing it. Nice facilities are a big plus to draw in those who've never shot before- and they may decide to join the Sporstman's Club. You also won't have to worry about canceling in bad weather due to impassable roads. If you're willing to host campers during Sportsman's Club AS, that would be nice. Looking at pre-registrations, sell-outs are not a concern yet- and if there are sell-outs, you can start adding shoots at the Tim Murphy Range!

So switching seems a good idea. But I'm an Eastern PA instructor, see what the Western PA/WV/OH group says.

I am absolutely willing to host campers who are willing to rough it. I think you make an interesting observation about the target audience that is spot on. For the typical suburbanite, being outside all day in wind and rain or heat IS roughing it! Giving them a place to come in an get out of the weather is a plus.

I think we sometimes forget that we are not trying to produce Marine Recon teams, just good citizens.

Related to this: Before my Appleseed days I used to have a hobby (Going to primitive archery and blackpowder rendevous). Primitive camping was part of the  deal. Those folks will show up to an event regardless of facilities.  Oddly, I went to three rendezvous and passed out AS flyers and never got one person. Some of those I handed flyers to got ticked off that AS was modern weapons but had the minuteman logo :(

Big H

Quote from: Cowdog on May 10, 2010, 04:22:15 PM
The club has advantages of a nice clubhouse, hot food, shelters, toilets, and running water. However, range capacity is 14 versus 35+ at my farm. Camping on site may also be a problem due to locked gates.

I am thinking about approaching the club to take the DAR with me remaining BTOG.

I would like everyone elses' thought on this matter, especially those who have been to the DAR.  If this works, we could maybe move August, September, and October? Good idea or bad?

Where will the August AS be then? The Tim Murphy Range or the Sportsman's Club? If we're changing locations, we should change the Event Info Page so the shooters know where to go.

Cowdog

August is still here. No change necessary