News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Birmingham, AL (Steel City) April 18-19, 2009

Started by Bama, April 20, 2009, 09:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama

This morning I do not have the ability to service this AAR with the time it deserves, so I will post more later as time permits. Hopefully many of the shooters will step up and give their thoughts and more details.

In my mind the B'ham AS went very well. I think we had 4 Riflemen, and several others that hit the 190s before the weekend was through. The students by and large were all very cooperative and everyone had a lot of fun. It was good to see several families present and also familiar faces from other Appleseeds. I had several friends present, a boss and a customer too (who are friends as well)!

The amount of people that came back on Sunday after the fatiguing grind on Saturday, and in the face of the severe weather forecasted was very encouraging. Father had his hand on us, and the forecasted bad weather did not show up until we were removing the last AQTs. Once everyone left and I was finishing up some loose ends at the range the local sirens started going off. We had bad storms with tornados in the area. Luckily everyone got away before it got bad.

The testimony of David, who scored Rifleman for the first time on Saturday with a whopping 245, was most excellent. He explained to the group that at his last Appleseed he did not even score 125. Since that AS he PRACTICED what he learned and the results were plainly visible for all to see. I could not imagine better testimony.

I give a Bamaboy Rebel Yell to David!!!!

There are a few others I would like to yell for but I'm running late for work so it will have to wait until later.

I would like to thank Son Of Martha, Flathead, Friedenmiester, and Alex4922 for helping make this happen. It was a pleasure working with you guys. Also would like to praise my friend, the Princess' Boytoy for stepping up and donning the orange hat. You are the second pair of boots on this hallowed ground and I give a Rebel Yell to you also sir! Thank you brother!

And above all, thank you David, Hezekiah, Jason, Samuel and all those of the Founding Generation who passed us the Holy Cause of Liberty 234 years ago. Yesterday I drove home knowing I had done something worthwhile. I cannot accurately explain it, but those that step up and volunteer their time and effort to carry the torch will come to understand it.

Thanks to everyone.

Deo Vindice

Bama

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

Brandon1

To Bamaboy, Flathead, SOM and all other instructors

I would like to thank each of you for the time out of your life to put this event on. I had a great time. The event was a wonderful breath of fresh air. Nice history lesson at the beginning and end of the event. Makes me even more proud of our country!

This was my first but not my last Appleseed. I thought I was a pretty good shot but well now.  :-\  Anyhow I will be doing some practice so next time I get my patch.

Thanks again for everything and looking forward to seeing some of you again.
Roaming the world on a klr.

cznut

First, I would like to again THANK the instructors.  But to just say "thanks" seems inadequate.  Without the instructors, the AS wouldn't occur.  Bamaboy mentioned feeling like he had done something worthwhile...I think any of you (as well as the shooters) would be hard-pressed to find a more worthwhile way to spend a weekend.  And I hope each instructor is aware of the positive impact they have on the youth shooters.  Their patience with all of us, young and old, was exemplary.

I would like to say as a former US Army soldier, unit armorer and range instructor on the sand in the Gulf War (yes, we had US troops joining us in Saudi who hadn't fired a rifle in two years), that I learned new tips and techniques...and was reminded of a few I had forgotten years ago.  It's amazing to me that the AS instructors can include tips and training over a weekend...yet the Army doesn't include them in an 8 week school.

My twelve-year-old son, who had been shooting in the low 120's prior to AS instruction, shot a 193 on Sunday.  And he only fired three rounds on stage three due to a malfunction of the rifle.

My brother who has been an avid shooter/hunter for about 40 years stated that the challenge of the AS was the most difficult thing he has ever done.  He was absolutely amazed by what he learned, and that by executing the instructions we were taught our scores got higher and higher.  He scored a 215 with a bolt action and two magazines that were more difficult to change than a 10/22.

My brother's son improved throughout the weekend even though the rifle he was shooting was problematic.  That's on me because I should have more thoroughly function-tested that rifle.  He was shooting in the 170s despite frequent FTFs due to light primer strikes.  I think he is already ready for another AS.

As for David...my friend and co-worker who introduced me to the AS project, he went back and checked his AQT target from two years ago and it was a 100.  To improve from 100 to 245 is amazing...but as Bamaboy pointed out, David's persistence in practice and preparation paid off.

The history lessons were FANTASTIC.  I was expecting them to be good but I was blown away by the level of detail.  I thought I had decent knowledge of the American Revolution but I didn't.  Needless to say, I've been on Amazon today ordering books.

I pledge to return for the October AS, and I pledge to bring others with me!

Thanks to all,

cznut

One other observation: my patch has only 12 stars on the flag.  I was wondering if this was something designed to test our attention to detail....

Flathead

I, like Bama, am tired after a long day at work and will to do this AAR justice after I get my feet back under me. But until then this will have to do! We had around 40 shooters show up. The weather held off for the most part, with all 3 seasons showing up thru the week end, just didn't have any snow! The students williness to learn was great and their attitude was even great on Sunday after all the exercise they got on Saturday!
 Would like to thank the ladies for showing up and shooting with their families and to the parents that brought the next generation of shooters to this shoot. Bama Earned his red hat at this shoot and earned a new IIT to help him in Alabama O0 I will try to post pics of the shoot, and any shooters that have pics please post.

Bama

Thank you guys for coming!  O0

Brandon, I fully expect you to get your patch because you exhibit the desire to persist! All those who shoot Rifleman regularly will tell you that it really isn't very hard. I think the mental part is what is hard. Basically, you just have to make up your mind to dedicate the time and effort necessary to make your body conform to do what needs to be done. Physical ability is good, but dedication and persistence wins!

I want to thank "Linda L" **) & family for their great attitudes! It's clear to me that the three of you came out with the desire to have fun and to learn. Malfunctions, rebellious muscles from strange positions, hot brass in the face, etc all would have sent many people home before Sunday. But once again, PERSISTANCE prevails! I can't wait to see your entire family receive their patches!

"Linda L" is a Karate instructor that works with children, and he graciously offered me some suggestions, based on his experiences, to make things run smoother, quicker and to improve communication. It is constructive advice such as this which often turns out to be the polishing compound that makes individuals or events shine bright. Thank you sir! (Bamaboy bows)

There was one father that today shared with me an experience he had with his son. His college aged son had thanked him several times after the shoot. When the father woke up this morning to get ready for work he found his son had left him a note. He shared the note with me, and gave me permission to share it here. With names edited it reads:

Hey Dad,
Wont' be up when you're leaving so I just wanted to tell you I had a blast shooting this weekend with you! Thanks for the help, food, prep and time! I really appreciate it, and we have to do it again soon! Also, when I'm in next time you'll have to show me how to clean the rifle. Thanks for everything and tell [instructor] thanks again for me, and that he helped a lot, as well as made a difference on my take on life, liberty and the sacrifices of our forefathers....
Have a good day & I love ya!
-Son

I can't imagine a more fulfilling way to spend a weekend than to help people shoot better, build bonds and connect with their heritage. While on the subject of volunteers I would like to announce that not only did the Princess' Boytoy (I'm sure he will pick a different name when he joins the forum) step up to don the orange hat, but I also have a second "man that knows what he is about" commit to wear the hat! I am honored to have both pairs of boots here with me, helping in the capacity that they can. Not only did I not have to beat up these gentlemen  &) I didn't even have to ask!  :o

Mrs Bama say time to eat. More later. Until then,

Smile when you say "Alabama"!   ;)

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

dond

cznut,

When you earn your Rifleman's patch, you become the 13th star. Congratulations!

Bamaboy,

Congratulations on the red hat. I knew you could do it. Sounds like a great shoot too. I'll see you down there in Birmingham later.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Brandon1

Quote from: Bamaboy on April 20, 2009, 09:57:05 PM
Thank you guys for coming!  O0

Brandon, I fully expect you to get your patch because you exhibit the desire to persist! All those who shoot Rifleman regularly will tell you that it really isn't very hard. I think the mental part is what is hard. Basically, you just have to make up your mind to dedicate the time and effort necessary to make your body conform to do what needs to be done. Physical ability is good, but dedication and persistence wins!

Smile when you say "Alabama"!   ;)

Thanks Bro I got out and did a lil shooting today as well. I read all the material and tried to remember all that y'all taught us. My group's really shrank. Maybe with a lil more practice I will make it.

On another note the wife came home from school today and said she would like to go to the next Appleseed with me. :) So got out the ole 22 and let her try it. Well looking like I am going to have to buy another 10/22 now. Oh the humanity. :~

You need any help at the range just holler I will be glad to help if I can. O0
Roaming the world on a klr.

floppy

Thanks to all of the instructors. Here are the pictures taken on the 19th.

example of correct body position

getting better

down range checking MOA

Bama Boy giving instructions

Flathead

Floppy you should have warned us about the pic of Son of Matha there!!!! It was a little rough to look at so early in the morning **)

Flathead

Well I finally got the equipment unloaded and got the numbers for the shoot. We had 40 shooters for this shoot. with 3 Riflemen on Saturday. David with a 245, Jonathan with a 230, and Neil with 215!!  Sunday also brought 2 more Riflemen Darrel with a 216, and I think Frank shot a 226.
The interaction with the shooters was great for me, I really met some great people this week end and for the first time I seen someone shooting barefoot!!! (it was Alabama after all!!!) I was amazed by the way the younger men at this shoot behaved and were attentive through out the week end, especially Gordon, I hate it his mag fell out on stage 3 and didn't quite make Rifleman. Having SoM ride over and share a room, we brain stormed most of the week end how to make this shoot and the Georgia shoots better and have a few Ideas. We decided we will be coming to this shoot again. Only a 3 1/2 hour drive if you don't count the stop at the CMP on the way!!! 

Son of Martha

What a wonderful weekend.  Thank you Bamaboy for getting the venue, Steel City is a great facility. 

Thank you to the people attending.  Good focus and attention and practically no whining.  Other than a few chronic rifle problems this was darn close to a perfect Appleseed.  Thank God the rain held off on Sunday!

Also saw good skill development in the IITs--each event is a training opportunity.  Good attention to constructively-intended criticism, and proper remedial measures applied.  Particularly glad to see the IITs arm-wrestling over who is gonna do the History vignettes...

Looking forward to being back.  Flathead and I had originally thought that we wouldn't be needed any longer, as Bamaboy appears to have things well in hand (and he has HELP now--thanks for stepping up to the new IITs).  On the drive back we figured out that need has little to do with it, and we will be back to visit with the friends and neighbors we met this past weekend.

As for the pic--for cryin' out loud, be CAREFUL...you'll break the Internet!

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

cznut

After two days of AS, I appropriately received my new American Rifleman magazine in the mail Monday, containing the feature article "Riflemen of the Revolution".  I was hoping some of you RWVA history experts might fact-check the article....

Kalash

I finally got around to signing up and first of all, it was good to see that many people (and yes, that includes women for those who corrected us the whole weekend  ;) ) want to learn and have a good time. I had the pleasure of wearing an orange hat and helping out, it was very rewarding.  I probably wouldn't have been out there if it weren't for Bamaboy introducing me to the Appleseed project last fall, it really helped me improve in more than just shooting!

I'm already looking forward to the next Appleseed shoot and hopefully the princess will join me again  O0.

cannonman61

Actually cznut, that artical was well written and very well researched from my research and perspective.

A few things were understated and a couple were oversimplified, but overall it was spot on.

CM61
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

cznut

Quote from: cannonman61 on April 22, 2009, 09:21:10 PM
Actually cznut, that artical was well written and very well researched from my research and perspective.

A few things were understated and a couple were oversimplified, but overall it was spot on.

CM61

Thank you for the comments.  I have almost finished the article...very interesting to me.  And, my copy of Paul Revere's Ride arrived today so I've got more to read/study.

bushwhacker

Wanted to thank all of the instructors for the GREAT weekend we had on 4-18 & 19th. The training far surpassed my expectations.My son and I have always loved to hunt as well as shoot, however we did'nt realize what little we knew about tecn. and proper shooting form.As Sat. progressed our scores went higher.I scored high enough on first AQT to make Rifleman and even with my Sons misfires (due to light primer strikes and jams) he scored 180.I was especially proud of my brother's "cznut" 230 and his son's ''Gordons"194!!! I would like to thank  ''Flathead ''and Alabama blood brother ''Bama Boy'' for sharing with US the knowlege which was passed to them and especially their patiance.We will be back on 10-10 & 11th with some more( Lower Alabama Rifleman hope to be's)LET US TAKE OUR BLESSED GOD GIVEN NATION BACK AND SECURE  FREEDOM AS OUR OUR FOREFATHERS INTENDED!!!!!!!!!          God Bless,   Bushwhacker

Bama

Quote from: bushwhacker on May 06, 2009, 06:00:19 PM
Wanted to thank all of the instructors for the GREAT weekend we had on 4-18 & 19th. The training far surpassed my expectations.My son and I have always loved to hunt as well as shoot, however we did'nt realize what little we knew about tecn. and proper shooting form.As Sat. progressed our scores went higher.I scored high enough on first AQT to make Rifleman and even with my Sons misfires (due to light primer strikes and jams) he scored 180.I was especially proud of my brother's "cznut" 230 and his son's ''Gordons"194!!! I would like to thank  ''Flathead ''and Alabama blood brother ''Bama Boy'' for sharing with US the knowlege which was passed to them and especially their patiance.We will be back on 10-10 & 11th with some more( Lower Alabama Rifleman hope to be's)

Thank you for coming! Looking forward to seeing you again in October.

Quote from: bushwhacker on May 06, 2009, 06:00:19 PM
LET US TAKE OUR BLESSED GOD GIVEN NATION BACK AND SECURE  FREEDOM AS OUR OUR FOREFATHERS INTENDED!!!!!!!!!          God Bless,   Bushwhacker

Hear, hear! An Alabama rebel yell to you sir, because you ain't just whistling Dixie! O0
Deo Vindice