News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SOUTH CAROLINA MAY 2/3!!

Started by DuaneRN, May 04, 2009, 09:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneRN

On May 2 and 3, Mid Carolina Rifle Club hosted the first full Appleseed in SC.  We had 20 shooters on Saturday and 12 on Sunday (one new) with a total of 21 students for the weekend.  There was an unusually high instructor to student ratio.  We had a master instructor, four full instructors, and another master instructor that came just to shoot and was not counted among the students.
After the safety briefing on Saturday, we began our instruction after a detailed history of the events leading up to battle of North Bridge in Concord.  The instruction went well and the students had plenty of opportunity to practice what was learned.  We finished up on Saturday with a brief ceremony in which two men were awarded the Rifleman's patch after scoring at least 210 on the AQT and what we call the Third Strike of the Match where the Revolutionary War actually began.
After the safety briefing on Sunday we began with another history lesson and went right into the AQT grind.  Due to the number of students that didn't return on Sunday, we were able to rotate instructors through the firing line to get some well-earned practice in.  I am happy to report that all instructors made at least a 210 on the AQT if they had a functioning rifle.  The weather was more cooperative on Sunday and did not seem quite as hot, but the heat and the blowing dust began taking its toll on the shooters.  Despite this, there were two more awarded the Rifleman's patch on Sunday.  This brought the total for the weekend to four.
The instructors and Project considers this shoot to be a success and would like to thank MCRC for allowing us to host this event here and hope that we will be able to have more shoots here.  The instructors are also very grateful to the club match directors who came out and provided additional instruction and much needed logistical support.

rhart

I attended the shoot Saturday with my son and brother , and want to say thanks to all the instructors.It was really a great day and I learned a lot.This was my first Appleseed, but I had bought Fred's guide and targets and had been practicing at home , but there were still a few things that I was having trouble with. About half way through the day everything just kind of clicked and I scored a 216 on my first AQT. I would never have done it without help from the instuctors.I've been shooting rifles for about 30 years but I learned so much Saturday and want to thank everybody that had a part in it. I really want to thank everyone for being patient and taking time to work with my 10 year son.I was surprised to hear him telling someone Sunday about some of the things he learned Saturday.It was really a great day and I've got several friends and family members that want to come with me to the next one.

Son of Martha

A great weekend.

21 more souls dipped into the pool of marksmanship and history, and four riflemen produced from it.  More young people hearing stuff they should hear, and some seasoned citizens proving they still have what it takes (and I daresay surprising themselves at what they can do).  We had one who was a 200 yard shooter when he arrived, barely able to see the 400 yard targets.  Last AQT before leaving was a 193 and he is hitting them now even when he can't quite see 'um...  Another who had done his homework and just needed an Instructor shadow to put him over the top.  A man who is scratching at the glass ceiling of the 200 point mark, but with good cheer because he has seen that what we teach works and now he believes when we tell him that if he perseveres he will break through.  A woman who improved so much in one day that she sometimes outscored hubby on stages (I can hear it now, "low score on stage two does the dishes for the next week!").  A high-power shooter with match gear who consistently stacked .22 cal holes on top of each other  (didn't believe him at first, stuck an observer on him and got convinced).  A quiet young man who shot 208 twice (or was it three times?) in a row just to twist his mentor's tail, before finally going well over the top with a rifleman score.  An Army marksmanship instructor who wanted to check us out (I bet we'll see him again).  Repeat Appleseeders from Toccoa and Hinesville who just wouldn't quit, and to my delight got their rifleman scores while I was present.  New friends who are just starting on the path, and have the journey to look forward to...

Instructors I have worked with, those Sons of Liberty who sacrifice time, money and energy to ensure that the Tradition is not going to die on their watch.  Friends I didn't have two years ago, now comrades in arms in a most noble endeavor...

A great weekend, and auspicious start for this venue.  Thanks to Mid Carolina Rifle Club and the local boots on the ground who made this happen.  Thanks to the folks who came to share the tradition, and may you pass it on to our posterity.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

BSHRADER

I attended the applleseed shoot in columbia and with the help of some really good instructors finally shot a rifleman score. It was really a great time. This was my second appleseed and I learned alot at both of them. It was nice to see some old friends. Thanks to all and hope to see you again.

boltgun71

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came out and made this shoot a success.  Thank you to the shooters, Appleseed instructors, and staff at MCRC.  Congratulations to our four new Rifleman!  Hopefully this is the start of many more Appleseeds here in South Carolina.

cannonman61

Another successful Appleseed is in the books and it's a significant one. The first South Carolina shoot!

I have been to MCRC before for Appleseed back in Dec 08 for a mini run as a trial for the MCRC officers to look our program over. They liked what they saw in terms of message, instruction and most of all, safety. so we were invited back for a full Appleseed thatnks to the efforts of Talon and DuaneH and now we have a super place in SC to hold shoots. This is a first class facility. They even have bathrooms with showers and RV slots for shooters as well as a tenting area. What more could one ask for?

The 21 shooters were all patriots and had great preserverence as we worked through some changing weather on Saturday. One shooter comes to mind as he had more to overcome than most knew. he was on my line and name was Patrick. Patrick was aLaw student who just the day before finished his last law school term. He takes the Bar this summer. ( A good friend to have) He also had a shoulder reconstruction and a full knee replacement in the last couple years so He to say he had some phyisical challenges is putting it mildly. Patrick arrived with an AR set up for 7.62x39 and never been siighted in. In the AM he wasn't even on paper. By lunch he was on paper, on target and making 8 minute groups. After lunch he began shrinking his groups even more until his eqipment started malfunctioning and he hit the wall from the heat and weather. He told me he was still "Pumped" about the program. He planned to be back Sunday but was unsure due to his clear physical pain and even if he wasn't he said he'd find the next one close and attend it. Good job Patrick. I hold a special place for people who push their limits and still come back for more. We also had a couple, David and Stephanie who wre working on the perserveance and mechanics of the skill sets we teach. They had been to one other Appleseed and showed great promise in their development and if they keep working I am sure they will get their patches at their next event. It's always great to see husband/wife teams. I wish we could recruit a ton of them.

Congrats to the four new rifleman. Four out of 21 shooters is about a 25% Rifleman rate. Not bad for a new locations first event.

I felt at home there in the sand and blowing dust on saturady and the campfire talk with SoM on Friday was, though marathon in length, a real breath of fresh air. I hope we made some new friends there and that we will be asked back soon and often.

Now, did anyone take any pictures? Lord knows I was busy and while I had a camera, I did not take a singe photo.  :-\

CM
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

TAZDevil

a few personal mishaps to learn from:
1.  four semi-auto rifles of mine started malfeeding and jamming on Sunday.  Beware of sandy/ dusty ranges and consider strongly that actions/chambers should be cleaned Saturday night before the problem occurs on Sunday!
2.  grime in the chamber of an AR .22 conversion may result in incomplete chambering and firing out of battery. It happened to me on Sunday, I'm glad that I had my glasses on.  Wear your glasses at all times!
3.  a pair of ear muffs were struck by a fragment of lead richocetted (?sp) from an adjacent range.  put a nice whole in the plastic; could have done the same to an eye.  I repeat, wear your eye wear at all times!  I know that a lot of people take theirs of during breaks, I'm hear to tell you that that may not be a good idea.

great shoot, great new appleseeders, excellent fellow instructors!  what's there to worry about?  The cause, that's what.

TAZ

"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

boltgun71

rhart

I just got in a little while ago from shooting with my son Rusty.I just wanted to let you know that he is using what he learned Saturday.After we had shot for a little while he wanted to do the ball and dummy drill and he is finally calling his shots.My groups are smaller than they were before and it is because I am firing all my shots by the numbers.Before this weekend I would have some good groups and some not so good.This afternoon I was much more consistent.

DuaneRN

Just to let everyone know:  MCRC has agreed to host another Appleseed.  I will be going to the July club meeting to work out a date.  Everyone needs to get active and recruit more people to come.

Bama

DwayneH & TAZ. You guys look good in red hats! I see happy faces in all the posted photos. I'm glad Appleseed has now taken root in the fine state that has shared a notable part of our nation's heritage of Liberty.

Gentlemen, congratulations on a worthy accomplishment! I personally appreciate everyone's efforts to ensure Dixie is properly represented among the Sons of Liberty.

Hooray for South Carolina!!

In Liberty, I am

Bama
To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)