News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Flash Report: Boulder City NV

Started by kool aid, October 14, 2007, 02:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kool aid

Greetings

Friday night found yours truly much relived that the adult supervision component of the instructor crew (FRED) made it to the hotel in one piece. Quartermaster corps in the person of Bob 210 made it in before bedtime, and your author, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer element, was on site to recon the range and provide valet service to same.

I know what you all want so I will dispense with my humerous observations and cut to the chase: 9 or so Pre Reg, and enough walk ons to make 27 eager participants in two separate shooting bays. target backers up, paperwork handled and off we went into the wild blue yonder of history and martsmanship .

Several Families with young shooters were in attendance (something like seven kids) were a sight to see. We did the intro, had the safety briefing and then the question was asked: "what could you do with your rifles and your ammo if you were there on April 19th, 1775? Red Coat targets told us all the tale.

"one hit is luck, two hits could be a coincidance, but three is a trend"
We had the usual eye opening experience to see that at best, no one among us was a 400 yard man.

We rolled up our sleeves, and the rest went as expected. Six steps, use of the sling, and the secrets of NPOA.

Ball and dummy, and then we endeveored to complete the first AQT and final red coat targets while having to leave the range (like, out the gate leave) by 1600 hours. We came up just a bit short of getting it all done. No worries. Tomorrow promises more blamming and less yacking, so we should get it all done.

Special thanks to:
The man from Yale, Bob 210 for excellent target backers and yoeman Shot Boss duties, Fred for adult supervision, and to the participants for taking the time and trouble to come out and aquaint themselves with the skills of their birthright of liberty.

Oh- and 'skippy' the single shot wunderkid with his steely 10 year old eyes: thanks for bringing your conduct beyond your years, your old man, and reminding us all what we are doing here. Nice job. I expect to see alot more of you in the years to come.......

More tomorrow- I need to go get the sand out of my teeth and my rifle now. And not necissarily in that order
Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

Bravo

Thank you for the compliment KA, sure did enjoy shooting with you!

I've got a feeling you'll be seeing more of him too. After this weekend, I'm thinking there'll be a few 10 round mags in his Christmas stocking this year. My guess is that the concept of not having to slap single rounds in the port will have him wondering what to do with all that 'extra' time  ;D

Freedom07

I spent 11 years in the military and this was the best marksmanship training I have ever had. Thank you to Fred, Bob and Koolaid. To all I have pics of the event if you want to email me I will send them to you, and for Fred if you want I will email them for your site. Thanks for teaching me about the history of our great nation.

Jay

Dirtrhodesscholar

Thanks again Kool Aid! 

The shoot was a great experience, both in the sense of being great training, great fellowship, fun, and also a sobering and inspiring dose of our unique heritage in a setting that really, really brings home just what has been endured and sacrificed on our behalf, and just what a great obligation and duty we have to put our shoulder into it, take up the slack, and carry on the work of our forefathers (and yes, those puns are intended). 

I welcome any other thoughts on the shoot, and please do post them ASAP (by tomorrow afternoon) as I need to have that SWAT Article done by end of day tomorrow, Friday.  Speak now, or miss your chance. 

Stewart

Fred

OK, you heard the man! Now, let's get moving! That's an order!

Freedom07, thanks for the pic, which shows, from back to front, Kool aid in the background, then Bravo with that neat stock (where'd you get it? ;D), and, in the foreground, the 10-yr-old who will soon be getting some extra mags for Xmas...

Yessir, Freedom, email me some more pics. And you too, Stewart. The new Appleseed color brochure is in prep, and a pic of the Boulder City firing line may be just what we need. :)

And, PS, Freedom, hope to see you back there in Jan, with a carload of your (new) friends (since you can't get your old ones to come, guess you need to make some new ones, right? ;D)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...