News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Georgetown, IN AAR Mar 30-31, 2024

Started by Geek, April 01, 2024, 09:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geek

It was a beautiful weekend in southern Indiana with a great group of patriots. 

We had a nice mix of prior and new Appleseed attendees.  After some quick comments and introductions, the safety brief got us ready to bring rifles to the line.  Our first Hits Count target set the tone for the work we had ahead of us.  Our shooters drank fast from the firehose of instruction and learned about Steady Hold Factors for prone, use of the loop sling, the six steps of firing a shot and NPOA.  The first squares targets showed improvement that quickly.  We did discover one of the participants needed to switch to optics to see the targets.  Minute of page was not what we all wanted.  As groups shrank, we introduced IMC and made sight adjustments to get the hits where we wanted them.  As we shared our American Heritage, there were a lot of questions asked about how our founders could make such decisions.  It was a very interactive storytelling.  We were able to shoot one AQT on Saturday before finishing out the day with a final Hit Count target and benediction. 

Sunday started with a gorgeous sunrise for Easter morning.  We reviewed Saturday's instruction and ran NPOA activity indoors with laser rifles.  Following our safety brief, we had rifles on the line and were able to start shooting promptly at 11am, start time for this range on Sunday.  Our first Hits Count target indicated there were still some things to work out and maybe more sight adjustments.  We posted squares and got to work on tightening shot groups and then applying IMC, moving them to where we wanted the groups on paper.  With our first-time participants, some transition drills made a lot of since.  We focused on improving the skills needed by the shooters present.  A couple more AQTs and a fun shoot followed.  Since the Easter Bunny neglected to bring any chocolate to this group, we used a target of him as our fun shoot.  Based on the fun the group had and the accuracy of the hits on said bunny, it was a good choice.  The shooters were given a fabulous prize of Appleseed Trigger Training Devices.  Our final Hits Count target of the day was a wonderful sight.  One shooter, Duy, cleared it.  Bob and Karen both were able to get good hits on 300 and 100.  Bob and Karen experienced their first Appleseed with us.  I expect to see them again.  Karen was new to shooting and made incredible progress this weekend.  I see Bob making some firearms purchases as a result of the fun they had. 

On the last AQT we shot, Duy was able to score Rifleman.  Even with the help of a neighbor that cost him 5 hits in the 5 during the first stage.  Duy last shot at an Appleseed back in 2018, in California.  It was great having him on the line and watching him share his passion for shooting with the other participants.  We had one other participant that was only able to join us on Saturday.  Bill has attended several Appleseed events in the past.  Both 25M and KD events.  On his way out, he mentioned a desire to join our ranks and support Project Appleseed.  He is taking a Blue Hat.  HUZZAH!

I want to thank the Floyd County Conservation Club and it's membership for allowing us to use this facility.  We were the only people shooting on Sunday and shared with a few folks on Saturday.  Those that shared the range with us were very welcoming and accommodating.  I also want to give a huge THANK YOU to JHB.  Without her support and help instructing/running the line/being an awesome person, events like this would not be happening.

Below is a link to the pictures we were able to snap.  Duy is shown getting his well deserved Rifleman's patch and an IN commemorative quarter with George Rogers Clark for clearing the Hits Count target.

I look forward to seeing each of you at future events.

https://imgur.com/gallery/x9TGSEH
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

Our cause is just . . . our country will be grateful - George Rogers Clark

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy

Geek

Something worth pointing out is the image of the Easter Bunny.  If you look at the hits, none are outside the lines.  This is impressive given one shooter had only spent about 20 minutes with a rifle prior to attending our event.  It made me very proud of our folks.  It was a great team effort for the fun shoot.  Thanks to JHB for the artwork.
https://imgur.com/ZalfvRb
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

Our cause is just . . . our country will be grateful - George Rogers Clark

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy

Archon

Thank you, Geek and JBB for the awesome weekend!  Earning a Rifleman patch ten years after my first Appleseed wan an awesome bonus!
Duy - like the decimal system.

cannonball

We had so much fun and learned so much.  I loved the history, and to my surprise, I loved shooting too.  The fact that accommodations were made to help us succeed made all the difference in the world.  Thank you so much!  You are wonderful people.  Sincerely, Karen

Bob says "The event exceeded my expectations. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"