News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Ft. Bliss Texas KNOWN DISTANCE, Feb 10-11, 2024

Started by Mrs. Smith, February 22, 2024, 01:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

The weather in far west Texas in February is almost always just perfect.

Except when it ISN'T.  :slap:

The morning of February 10 dawned cold, cloudy, and wet, with sleet and rain and snow flurries.  All of which would have been manageable if not for the WIND (which none of us properly prepared for.)  It sent that cold right to our bones.

But did that slow these folks down?  oh HECK no!!

We had two father/son duos on the line - Mike and his son Nate, and Barry with his son Axel. Also in attendance were Marcos, Luis, and Jeff.  SuperMario and LateByProxy joined them on the line, both shooting their first KD events.

Our thanks to the Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club for being gracious hosts. Chief RSO Jared was available for whatever we needed. Fortunately it wasn't much! 

Thanks also to the Franklin Mountain Gun Club for letting us have their regularly scheduled day for this event.  :bow:

After intros and Safety, we started the weekend with an attempt at Morgan's Shingle!  The students clearly did their assigned homework, having their rifles zeroed to 100 yards and calculating the standard come-ups to 250yards.  The result?  FOUR new members of Morgan's Riflemen!

L-R  Mike, Nate, Ghostring, Mario, Barry

What a way to start a weekend!

We rolled into instruction, and started gathering our dope at each distance.

Yes, there are target backers down there - 8 feet tall!

Note the wind indicator flag in the background

During breaks from the line we learned some history, including Ephraim Brank and his remarkable performance as a Rifleman facing the British army.

100, 200, 300, and 400 yards later, and we minted FOUR Riflemen!

Mike and Nate requalified, and Marcos and Luis are our newest KD Riflemen in west Texas!

Master Instructor Ghostring laid down the decree that this day ABSOLUTELY qualified as a Winterseed (dude, it really was so cold with that wind) which certainly added the cherry to the sundae!

Marcos, Luis, Mike, and Nate

We wrapped for the day, had a chat about Liberty, and went home to defrost and prepare for Sunday.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

Sunday!!

It seems there was some kind of sporting event scheduled for Sunday the 11th.  Who knew?

But you know what they say.... 

Once again the first live fire of the day was Morgan's Shingle, and once again the students showed what they were made of.

Axel and Jeff joined the ranks of Morgan's Riflemen that day!

We were much better prepared for the cold on day two! So, naturally, it was slightly less cold  ::)

After a lesson on Target Detection and a Range Estimation exercise, we introduced the class to Battle Sight Zero.  AQT 2 of the weekend was shot with BSZ, and the students really liked the simplicity of it. 

Barry and Axel tied on the Range Estimation challenge, and won themselves the coveted Chalice!

LateByProxy's target - She disappeared every time the camera came out  ::)

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

Three AQTS in on Sunday, with history including the Battle of King's Mountain and some Timothy Murphy.

Anybody can go to the range on a beautiful day and do well.

When you're doing so in very cold, very hot, windy, wet, and otherwise unpleasant weather, you REALLY find out what you're made of.

These folks are made of some seriously tough stuff.

By 3pm we were all pretty much DONE.  A benedicton and cleanup later and it was time to go home. Those who wished were able to make it back in time for kickoff, even. Win-win.

Until we meet again, shooters, on behalf of Ghostring, Captwa, Mr. Smith, and Young Patriot, it was our honor to spend the weekend with you celebrating history and the American art of Rifle Marksmanship.

See you next time!!!

Mrs. Smith

Old Fossil

I was really wanting to sign up for the KD, even got my membership at the Rod & Gun renewed, but luckily I had to work.  :boohoo:

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Old Fossil on February 23, 2024, 11:52:11 PMI was really wanting to sign up for the KD, even got my membership at the Rod & Gun renewed, but luckily I had to work.  :boohoo:

;D   It was unpleasant weather, Glenn, but the excellent company made up for it

Gus

Greetings All!

A late reply to this after action report. A few days after the Ft Bliss KD, my wife and I took a vacation to the Caribbean and then upon my return home, promptly got sick.  Anyway, enough about that.

This KD was fabulous! Enjoyed it thoroughly! Yes, the weather was cold and windy, but not too cold or windy.  Definitely had to allow for the wind at 300 and 400 yards. Mrs. Smith, Ghostring, Wa, Mr. Smith, and Young Patriot made set up and running the KD look easy: A hallmark of those who are very good at what they do.

Everytime I attend a clinic or IBC, I learn a ton, then I take notes.  Even though I'd seen IMC presented many times before, Ghostring's presentation, especially that part about Milrads was really good. Also enjoyed the story about Ephraim Brank-a true marksman during the war of 1812 at the Battle of New Orleans.

Now it's time for getting ready for my spring and summer. It'll start by working the Waco clinic in April with Scuzzy. From there my wife and I will travel to Idaho where we volunteer at a state park. While up there I'll work a clinic with Prescott in Parma, ID.  In August we fly to Alaska for work, but, I will be attending a KD in Talkeetna with my old friends. Will get in touch with ItsanSKS and see if I can work that clinic as well, a centerfire KD-love those KD's!  I'll be back in Texas by mid-October and will be working some clinics at Kerrville.

Going to be a busy one for sure!

To Mrs. Smith, Ghostring, Wa, Mr. Smith, and Young Patriot: Thank you for running a safe and enjoyable KD. 

In Liberty,

Gus
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper