News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reddit help - interstate travel with a rifle in New England

Started by Mrs. Smith, November 19, 2023, 08:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Good morning, NorthEast region,

There's a gentleman on Reddit who lives in VT but would like to attend an Appleseed event in MA. He has questions about travel restrictions etc. with rifles/pistols.  Could one of you with a Reddit presence give this fellow some information, please?

Many thanks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appleseed/comments/17yvrrz/crossing_state_massachusetts_line/
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

VietVet

The laws in the NE vary so differently from State to State.
Restrictions are so severe that any advice he gets should come from someone in Massachusetts.

Rifles and pistol restrictions fall under different regulations.

Again, his best info should come from someone from Mass.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

MattNH

Responded on Reddit recommending attendance in NH.  MA is tricky/confusing and while I've run events and instructed there, I never bring any firearms or ammunition
Appleseed is friend to all, enemy to none

Mrs. Smith

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

jiminbolivar

I also commented within that reddit thread just to clarify some other person's misleading post.

I dug into this previously because my wife and I thought it would be cool to attend an Appleseed where this all began. Unfortunately, it appears that this is not possible. Non-residents have little to no ability to possess or carry firearms or ammo in Massachusetts.

I don't always shoot AQT's, but when I do, I prefer iron sights.

upacreek

I have US Law Shield and was taking a trip to an event in Mass last year (I live in GA, moved from MA).  I called and spoke with a MA lawyer to see if there was any way I could bring my rifles.  In a nut shell, you can legally, but hope you don't get stopped. I'm paraphrasing - if you get stopped, it's up to the policeman whether or not he recognizes you're going to a class, sanctioned event, or whatever the legal BS word it is.  If he determines that the event doesn't meet the criteria (which it absolutely does) he can arrest you.  The judge has the same decision to make and can leave you in jail or fine you or whatever the penalty is - it won't be good. 

While it would have been nicer and easier for everyone involved if I brought at least the rifles to cover the people I brought to the event (5), it wasn't worth the risk based on someone else's opinion.  Let him know not to bring ammo either.  They need a license or permit for that too.  If he decides to risk it - make sure there are locks on everything that need locks.  I know the rifle cases needed them.  The ammo might need them too.  There were other laws too about the stock, maybe grip and maybe mag capacity.

The bright side is that the MA instructors kick butt and had all the ammo, rifles, and equipment we needed for my group and the many others that needed it.  It was a great shoot and pretty awesome that the North Bridge was about a 20-25 minute drive from the Harvard range.  I visited after Saturday's fun.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

300berg

Upacreek is right.  Technically legal for travel to a sporting event, but it will be officers discretion.  GOAL in MA (Gun Owners Action League) recommends anyone traveling in-state to bring copies of the law and your Appleseed registration.  Tough choice.

Nice post on reddit, MattNH.

medved

My suggestion is to consider applying for an out of state firearm license. Needs annual renewal.

upacreek

Medved,
Have you gotten an out of state license in MA?  Have you heard of anyone who has?  When I looked last year, there was a 9 or 10 month wait for normal in-state licenses and I was told not to bother.  My son moved to Mass last November and is looking at getting his license soon.  His co-workers made it sound a lot easier than what the lawyer I talked with said.  Fingers crossed the co-workers are right.  I'd feel a lot better when I visit the grandpup kid.

Valcour ‘76

You need to take a training class from a Massachusetts certified instructor. Fill out the application including fees. Schedule a face to face meeting with a State Police investigator in Quincy. Interview lead time will be several months. Answer some questions, get fingerprinted and have your picture taken. Several days later you will receive your CCW in the mail. It's not really a process that's any worse than several other states. Massachusetts is a beautiful state with a lot of great people. They are fighting on the front lines to protect our freedoms (just like 1775). It's a lot of work, but applying for Mass permit just might be the support those folks could use.

Nightpoison

The nice thing about an out-of-state is the State troopers handle those. This means no matter where you're from you probably going to get it in about the same amount of time.

Residents on the other hand, I got mine in about 1-2 months, I know people in other cities/towns that it took over a year and thousands of dollars in lawyers fees. It all depends on what city/town you live in. I've been lucky that both places I've lived, have been fairly agnostic regarding licensing, and don't actively go out of their way to hold things up.

with that said, There's a recent thread on NES that shows that someone in January of 2017, received their non-resident license in just over 30 days. Fast forward to 2024, I've read 4-6 months.

upacreek

medved

I only just moved out of Mass. Considering applying for a OOS license. Pretty much I'm in the same boat as you!