News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Question for the Ramah , CO shoot 18th-19th

Started by Bettendorf, April 14, 2009, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bettendorf

I tried also.  So there I was, it was 0820 hrs, traveling east on HWY 24 from Colorado Springs, behind a postal vehicle going 30 mph and wind blowing from the west at 25 knots while snowing.  I turned around and went home.  I'm very sorry for quiting and hope to try and meet for a shoot some other time.

RifleWoman

Well, there's still another day.  Try tomorrow it should look lots better.  Also another event in May
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

bigjimcalhoun

Any update on the road conditions from 86 to the range?

RifleWoman

I haven't heard anything.  Where are you and what are the conditions there?  I'm in longmont, just really wet and muddy.
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Colorado Pete

MUDDY!

Made it to the shoot this AM, 24 was terrible east of Falcon, almost lost it at one point (the truck, not my mind...the mind's been gone a long time. Makes step 4b hard). Slush, snow, and ice, with a hard crosswind loaded with snow, both fresh and drifting. The county road was wet snow over mud. I kept questioning my sanity for continuing and then reminding myself that sanity has long been a non-issue for me.

We had about 10 shooters show up to shoot in a slush/mud pit with snow blowing sideways at about 20-25 mph for most of the day. Certainly the most 'interesting' day at the range I've had! Yuck. All in all a good time was had and some good shooting was done especially by some of the newer folks who made rapid progress despite the blizzard and goo.

Going home was much better, the dirt roads were mostly bare with some snow, the mud was a little slick but not deep enough to wallow in. 24 was totally clear in the evening. I'm hoping it stays that way in the AM and the county roads freeze up just a little and get hard. The Ramah forecast is for more precip tonight (I hope not) and 30 deg temps which should solidify the gunk. If it's no worse tomorrow AM than it was in the evening today it should be drivable from Ramah north with a little care. The range will probably still be gooey though.

Come out tomorrow!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

Taipan

I slid my car into a curb Friday evening and jacked up alignment up bad enough I might not even drive it to work on Monday if I cannot get it fixed this weekend...so coming out was out for me. Sad I will be out of state for the May shoot too. Any chance of a mini-seed in earlier May?