News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Question for the Ramah , CO shoot 18th-19th

Started by Bettendorf, April 14, 2009, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bettendorf

I'm coming with my wife and myself.  The question I have is that my wife has 500 rounds of 5.56 and I have 300 rounds of 5.56.  Mixed lots.  Is this gonna be enough? I really don't want to get into my really good stuff even though shooting it would be better.  What do you all think?  Together on the firing line, we can grab out of the same bunch of 800 rounds?  Also, I assume we are going to be hauling this stuff up and down the range, right?

zombiehunter

At my first Appleseed, I believe I fired just over 400 rounds in 2 days - there are a couple team exercises where you and your teammates try to shoot out the star from a center of a target - with no round limit, so it's possible to use over 400 rounds in the weekend.  However, you and your wife should be fine with 800 between the two of you.  That being said, you can never have too much ammo.  ;)

Shouldn't be too much hauling of the ammo - just from your vehicle to the firing line.  And you won't need all of it there on Saturday.  Maybe leave half in the truck.  And yes, you can set up next to each other on the line and use from the same box.

See you on Saturday AM!
Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/

Bettendorf

Quote from: zombiehunter on April 14, 2009, 06:48:52 PM
At my first Appleseed, I believe I fired just over 400 rounds in 2 days - there are a couple team exercises where you and your teammates try to shoot out the star from a center of a target - with no round limit, so it's possible to use over 400 rounds in the weekend.  However, you and your wife should be fine with 800 between the two of you.  That being said, you can never have too much ammo.  ;)

Shouldn't be too much hauling of the ammo - just from your vehicle to the firing line.  And you won't need all of it there on Saturday.  Maybe leave half in the truck.  And yes, you can set up next to each other on the line and use from the same box.

See you on Saturday AM!
If you're gonna be there, I'll see you too!

Taipan

I'm planning on being there, looks like it'll be chilly.

SavageShootr

There is no rule that says you have to shoot every string.

Anytime you get tired and need to take a break, do so.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

zombiehunter

I just checked the online registration for the April Ramah Appleseed, and it's SOLD OUT!  How awesome is that? 

Colorado's in for an excellent weekend of Appleseeding!  O0

Taipan

What its sold out???? Crap...I was going to do walk in registration.

Colorado Pete

Taipan, you might still be able to. Weather is supposed to be iffy (AGAIN!), some less stout-hearted souls might waver and cancel.

Bettendorf, if you are going to be shooting mixed lots of ammo, you'll want to keep them segregated if possible, since your zero might change from one brand to the next. You'll want to stay on top of that.

Hope to meet you folks there!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

Franktown_Kid

Bettandorf,

Pete's right. Keep your ammo separated. Shoot from one batch only. When you change to the other, you can watch to see if your zero changed and correct for it if it does.

If you mix it up, and the zeros are different, you'll just keep getting inexplicable flyers.

You might use the smaller group for the long distance shooting Sunday, since we'll be checking zeros again at the KD range.

Everybody - bring a small notebook and write down what you did if you change your sight setting. Then if you go back and forth between lots of ammo, you can reset your sights!
"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them, and these will continue till they have been resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress." - Frederick Douglass

Franktown_Kid

They are calling for precip Friday evening thru Sat am. Could be rain or snow. Looks like it'll clear and warm up into Sunday.

Bring wet weather gear, waterproof shoes / boots, maybe a tarp to put under your shooting mat/rug (for mud).

Bring something to cover your rifle with.

Bring oil and a dry rag for wiping it down. Especially blued guns.

Bring layers to keep warm and real lightweight gloves (for shooting with). It'll be cold until the sun breaks out. And it'll be windy.

Typical Colorado weather, that's all.

"A muddy war is damned serious business" - Napoleon
"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them, and these will continue till they have been resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress." - Frederick Douglass

zombiehunter

YES! Colorado's first Winter Appleseed...
Sure, it may be cold, but at least it's windy!   %)

Colorado Sam

BRING WATERPROOF BOOTS! the range at Ramah can fairly slippery and muddy and you dont want your feet to freeze.

Maybe if the weather behaves on Sat. it'll be one of those nice storms where the wind dies down  ;D

Wouldnt miss it if we had to shovel out the whole berm O0

zombiehunter

Quote from: Colorado Sam on April 16, 2009, 12:01:16 PM

I'll bring my shovel!    ++)

Colorado Sam

Quote from: zombiehunter on April 16, 2009, 12:04:47 PM
Quote from: Colorado Sam on April 16, 2009, 12:01:16 PM

I'll bring my shovel!    ++)

Anyone have a bail of straw or two they wouldnt mind sparing if it gets to muddy?

Bettendorf

Well, I sorted out the ammo last night.  400 rounds of 55 grain .223 for my wife and 400 rounds of 75 grain .223 for myself.  Weather is not looking too hot.

zombiehunter

Quote from: Bettendorf on April 16, 2009, 05:57:22 PM
Well, I sorted out the ammo last night.  400 rounds of 55 grain .223 for my wife and 400 rounds of 75 grain .223 for myself.  Weather is not looking too hot.
Must be all that damned Global Warming...

Glad to hear you got your ammo straightened out Bettendorf; sounds like you and your wife are ready to properly celebrate Patriot's Day!

RifleWoman

Hope to see you all there.  This weather might just screw up my Appleseed party plans.  Oh the wows of a snow plower.  :-\

In any case, I won't be there Friday night.  I'll get up early Saturday and if there's no snow, I'll try to get there. 
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Franktown_Kid

It looks like the weather is going around to the North and also a bit ahead of schedule. RW will make a bunch of money!

I went to the Gun Club to drop off a pickup and a trailer full of Appleseed stuff late this pm. Mosty rain and some hail.

The County Road was almost impassable. Hopefully it will dry out some before Saturday.

Folks, don't try it in a 2WD. Also dragging in a RV / trailer may be problematic. I'm rethinking bringing in my camper (6WD) tomorrow.

But, I think we may be OK for the shoot.

Come rigged for mud!

BlueFeather

Hey can you guys keep your dang weather to yourselves... don't let it drift down south of the border to Raton!  A week ago, they were calling for 65-70 degrees, now its supposed to be 37 for us tomorrow on set up! But 75 by Tuesday!  This storm was supposed to run through a few days ago, but it was slow coming. Doncha love the high desert?

Good luck all!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

RifleWoman

Snowing here.  Guess you guys are on your own  :'(  I was really looking forward to meeting everybody.  I might try to come up on one of the days when this settles down.  I only have my 2wd so it could be a mess.  You might want to have some shooters park down lower and truck them up to the range if the roads are bad.

Oh, and BlueFeather, remember it's kind to share   @)
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Franktown_Kid

OK, I was wrong. Again.

It didn't blow thru. It's parked right here. Franktown got 3 inches of snow last night, still coming down. Looks like the ranch is east of the freeze line, for now, so it's likely getting rain, for now. The TV now says it'll be clear Monday, instead of Sunday.

I've changed my plans, I'm not taking the camper. Instead I will commute in something smaller, more rescueable. We will set up the range this afternoon, and I'll post what we found there tonight.

We have the clubhouse all weekend, so we'll have some shelter if we need it. My propane heater is already there!

Maybe in addition to the story of the events of 18-19 April, we'll talk about Washington's march on Trenton!

Come rigged for cold and mud. Bring a mud capable vehicle.

Blue Feather, it looks like it mostly missed you. I'm sorry we're hogging all the fun.

If one more person tells me "but we need the rain"...........

jeeep

Don't cancel.  A little mud and cold will simply make it more interesting.  I'm leaving at noon from SW CO and I'm very excited for a cold, wet weekend.

Your comment about the county road being a problem really scares me (2 wd truck). I would hate to make it that far to be stopped by a county road.  ???

zombiehunter

We'll figure out a way to get you to the line - even if it means we have to leave your 2WD on the county road and taxi you and your gear up in another vehicle...  Travel safely and see you at the range!  O0

oh, almost forgot... but we NEED the rain!  **)

Bettendorf

Looking horrible here in Colorado Springs.  Very wet snow has been coming down for hours.

bigjimcalhoun

If anyone has a spanner wrench for an AR buffer tube please bring it.  I just built the AR this week and the buffer tube nut is only hand-tightened currently.

Bettendorf

Quote from: bigjimcalhoun on April 17, 2009, 03:23:25 PM
If anyone has a spanner wrench for an AR buffer tube please bring it.  I just built the AR this week and the buffer tube nut is only hand-tightened currently.
If it doesn't get canceled, I'll have my tools with me.  We'll get that tightened up.

bigjimcalhoun

Any news as to whether this is still on or not?  Given the weather conditions I think that I am going to be driving no more than 10 -15 mph on the roads, so I will need to get up at 3 am to get there, assuming the gate on 86 in Kiowa is not closed.

Bettendorf

Well someone update this post if it does get canceled, please?

Franktown_Kid

OK gang,

IT IS STILL ON!

I just got back from the range. I was in a well equipped Jeep Wrangler, lifted, lockers, 33" Mud Terrain tires w/ various rescue equipment.

The County Road from 86 south to the club is almost impasssable. I made is but it was challenging. Tried to rescue a Blazer with a broken reverse gear off in the ditch, and couldn't get enough traction to do it. If reverse had been working, it could've helped & we could've got it out.

I went out South to Hwy 24. Much better, just a few bad spots. If you can choose, come on 24.

The plows are out and the main roads are being kept clear.

Weather ranges from clearing to whiteout, no discernable pattern.

The Gun Club itself is slimey. It got a lot of rain, very little snow. When you come in, park on the grass, and we'll figure how to get you and your stuff to the berms. If we all try to drive there, it'll wallow out and you'll be there till summer.

Come ready for Colorado Springtime, Mud and Cold to 60 degrees Sunday. Raingear too.

Oh yeah, bring something to shoot!!

See you all tomorrow.

G'night.

bigjimcalhoun

I tried, but did not make it out of Castle Rock.  I am really not interested in attempting to drive down what is a nearly impassable road for a Jeep with 33 inch tires, a day later with worsening conditions, in my vehicle.