News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fit to Serve

Started by rambo granny, June 12, 2023, 08:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo granny

72 years. 72 miles. Tomorrow, June 13,  is 9mm4545's birthday🎉 and he will celebrate with a bike ride of 1 mile for every year, a tradition for several birthdays.

If you are thinking, "I sure couldn't do that" and you are younger than 72…..should you give thought to your own fitness goals? Do you have any? FL sure has a bunch of alarm listers and we need healthy younger blood following us up. 😁
Whether shooting or working on an Appleseed line, fitness counts. It's demanding!

Personally, I've  learned that if I want to continue walking, exercise is not an option after the life changing accident. Despite continuing daily strength and mobility exercises, two days without being on my pedal assist trike results in my screen name being less "Rambo" and mostly "Granny"🤣 with colorful adjectives describing the big "ouch"! 🤬

Four "alarm list" aged instructors locally are fighting the age related rust and working on fitness. Together we had a fabulous Memorial Day celebration riding 42 miles on the bike trail. Two were on 2 wheel bikes and two were on trikes. Three were on 100% human power (all Shoot Bosses) and I was on pedal assist for obvious reasons. Due to hot days, starting early was key. Multi critter sightings and a fine lunch at a quaint diner in a gas station next to the trail made a most memorable day.

Check out our attached group picture to see happy faces and one mischievous pink flamingo.
Here's a link for 2 min 20 second video with audio.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2tussqufq8rffb/Memorial%20Day%20Ride%202023-1080p30H.MOV?dl=0

Hint hint: Would love to hear about your physical activities.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

9mm4545

So what does improved fitness have to do with rifle marksmanship? Well, improved fitness will help with that but more importantly it will lead to self improvement, which I believe to be the true purpose of Appleseed. The value of a good long bike is to develop persistence and just as it is when shooting a Rifleman scoreâ€"you must persist. Goal setting, mental focus, discipline, dedication, and dogged determination are as useful for shooting well as bike riding! Aging is inevitable; aging gracefully is a choice. Regular physical activity won't stop you from getting older but it will keep you healthier in the process. Besides, it's fun!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

AF5US

Physical fitness can really make one appreciate what our forefathers went through.

For example - It turns out I make bad life choices, due in no small part to a bad choice in friends.  I have the type of friends that say,
"Hey - let's do a ruck - let's strap on 20 pounds of dead weight and walk a marathon distance while being forced to complete navigational challenges."
And I - like a moron - agree, thinking that it's just guy talk.  Imagine my surprise when those other moron friends actually sign up!  Then I had no choice but to do so as well.
It took a lot of training but I made it through, and learned a good number of lessons during the experience.

I can tell you that after walking just shy of 30 miles with weight in a day, I had a new respect for Captain Morgan and his men, and the 600 miles they covered over rough terrain in three weeks.

Did you know that there's a fifty mile ruck in Boston later this year?
Turns out we don't really learn very quickly from past mistakes.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

ScubaSteve

You guys are truly an inspiration.

I can only hope to be in as good of shape as you are in when I reach your age. Heck who am I kidding. I am not in that good of shape now.  :)

Quote from: rambo granny on June 12, 2023, 08:35:49 PM
72 years. 72 miles. Tomorrow, June 13,  is 9mm4545's birthday🎉 and he will celebrate with a bike ride of 1 mile for every year, a tradition for several birthdays.

If you are thinking, "I sure couldn't do that" and you are younger than 72…..should you give thought to your own fitness goals? Do you have any? FL sure has a bunch of alarm listers and we need healthy younger blood following us up. 😁
Whether shooting or working on an Appleseed line, fitness counts. It's demanding!

Personally, I've  learned that if I want to continue walking, exercise is not an option after the life changing accident. Despite continuing daily strength and mobility exercises, two days without being on my pedal assist trike results in my screen name being less "Rambo" and mostly "Granny"🤣 with colorful adjectives describing the big "ouch"! 🤬

Four "alarm list" aged instructors locally are fighting the age related rust and working on fitness. Together we had a fabulous Memorial Day celebration riding 42 miles on the bike trail. Two were on 2 wheel bikes and two were on trikes. Three were on 100% human power (all Shoot Bosses) and I was on pedal assist for obvious reasons. Due to hot days, starting early was key. Multi critter sightings and a fine lunch at a quaint diner in a gas station next to the trail made a most memorable day.

Check out our attached group picture to see happy faces and one mischievous pink flamingo.
Here's a link for 2 min 20 second video with audio.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2tussqufq8rffb/Memorial%20Day%20Ride%202023-1080p30H.MOV?dl=0

Hint hint: Would love to hear about your physical activities.

rambo granny

LOVE ❤️ your post AF5US. Love ❤️ the historical reference too.
Thanks so very much for sharing. Laughed our butts off. 😁

9mm4545 started the birthday ride at 6:15 am and back at 12:30. Attached is proof he survived the ride.😳
Meanwhile, Heavyduty77 & I biked/trike 22 miles. FLawyer was at work for this one.

ScubaSteve get a pedal assist trike! It allows working up without causing too much trauma in the process with leg challenges. We need our SC healthy!!
I just wish I could ride my trike to and from the target line at events.🤣
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Taylor

Way back when (before I "retired"), I used to run 5 miles 2 or 3 times a week and hit the free weights also.

Now my main workout is cutting, splitting and stacking the 12 logger cords of oak I burn every year for heat.

One of these days...

Kudos to you guys.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

scuzzy

I walk about 2 or 3 times a week. Anywhere from 3 to 5 miles. Doesn't sound like much but parts are hilly and the terrain is rough. If I walk fast I'd bust my butt.

I usually do it in the hot part of the day just to make it tougher. I have this belief that sweating is good for you. And also that the sun is good for you as long as you don't overdo it.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mrs. Smith

My job has a built-in fitness program. I work in the largest, busiest county hospital on the southern border.  Like Appleseed, our watchword is URGENCY. Depending on my shift responsibilities for the day, I'll sometimes crank out 8 miles in a shift, and this ain't no Sunday stroll.  Lots of stairs, too, as this hospital is also over 100 years old and has the slow elevators to match.

That said, it's not a sustained 8 miles. That does make a difference. Might explain why I'm still a little chunky despite the physical demands of the job.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

rambo granny

Really enjoyed hearing what you folks do! THANKS to all. 😁 I'll be adding some physical activity info on the adaptive board in coming days.