News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Having trouble finding a comfortable sitting position

Started by LadyRimfire, February 09, 2023, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyRimfire

This is more for us "voluptuous" ladies, if you will. :)

I'm having trouble finding a good sitting position. I'm a 36M and I just can't find a comfortable position. I also have a steel plate in my left leg near my ankle which causes issues sitting on it. Tried open leg, cross legged, sitting with a foot underneath, etc, etc.  Taking one knee seems to be the best so far for me, but the least stable.  Was hoping to hear from ladies that have similar problems and what you find to be of help.
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Google

I don't have quite the same set of ... concerns as you.  I do have a couple of thoughts or questions though. 

Kneeling will always be the least stable of the positions.  However, making sure some of the finer points of the position are in your favor can help build the most stable kneeling position possible.  For example, is your support foot far enough away from your body that your leg is at least straight up and down or even at more than a 90 degree angle?  Is your trigger leg as close to a 90 degree angle as possible away from your support leg?  Is the flat side of your support arm placed in a stable position on the target side of your support leg?

Have you tried crossed ankle position?  It might allow you to be more stable while creating more space between your upper body and your legs than either crossed leg or open leg.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Google / Diana

Quote from: LadyRimfire on February 09, 2023, 07:35:49 PM

I'm having trouble finding a good sitting position. I'm a 36M and I just can't find a comfortable position. I also have a steel plate in my left leg near my ankle which causes issues sitting on it. Tried open leg, cross legged, sitting with a foot underneath, etc, etc.  Taking one knee seems to be the best so far for me, but the least stable.  Was hoping to hear from ladies that have similar problems and what you find to be of help.

Timothy_D

Take a look at some of these.
The Sniper's Cradle is what I used before I took Appleseed courses.
It's not necessarily conducive to sling use, but it is pretty stable and effective.

https://www.everydaymarksman.co/marksmanship/sitting-position-rifle/

Tennessee Beast

Quote from: Timothy_D on February 10, 2023, 09:33:09 AM
It's not necessarily conducive to sling use, but it is pretty stable and effective.

It could use an updated name  ;)
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Timothy_D

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on February 10, 2023, 10:59:52 AM
It could use an updated name  ;)

Probably.
Or at least one that's a little less "crusty old operator."

LadyRimfire

Quote from: Google on February 09, 2023, 07:59:08 PM
I don't have quite the same set of ... concerns as you.  I do have a couple of thoughts or questions though. 

Kneeling will always be the least stable of the positions.  However, making sure some of the finer points of the position are in your favor can help build the most stable kneeling position possible.  For example, is your support foot far enough away from your body that your leg is at least straight up and down or even at more than a 90 degree angle?  Is your trigger leg as close to a 90 degree angle as possible away from your support leg?  Is the flat side of your support arm placed in a stable position on the target side of your support leg?

Have you tried crossed ankle position?  It might allow you to be more stable while creating more space between your upper body and your legs than either crossed leg or open leg.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Google / Diana

Thanks for this! I agree that I'm just going to have to learn to work with what I got. I know my support foot is not always at the proper 90 degrees from the last event I attended. I will try some other positions mentioned here, but I thinknyou are right in that I need to get proper position for being on one knee down and just keep practicing. I was also reading yoga helps and I do have P90x's version. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Quote from: LadyRimfire on February 09, 2023, 07:35:49 PM

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

LadyRimfire

This is very helpful! Thank you!

Quote from: Timothy_D on February 10, 2023, 09:33:09 AM

Thomas Paine